Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How can I watch 3D movies?

jeremylivinjeremylivin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Hello everyone,

Pardon me for maybe asking a dumb questions...

So I have a dedicated Windows 7 machine running PMS, I stream mostly to my Roku devices and iOS.

I'd like to know, if I bought a 3D compatible TV, does Plex support streaming 3D media to the TV via the Roku?  I don't currently have a 3D tv and really don't want to purchase one unless I'm sure it'll work like this...  

Also:  If I downloaded a 3D movie, would it be able to play in 2D mode also, or are those completely separate file types?

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• roranielroraniel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 155 Plex Pass
    edited April 2013
    jeremylivin wrote on April 19 2013, 1:20 PM: »

Hello everyone,

Pardon me for maybe asking a dumb questions...

So I have a dedicated Windows 7 machine running PMS, I stream mostly to my Roku devices and iOS.

I'd like to know, if I bought a 3D compatible TV, does Plex support streaming 3D media to the TV via the Roku?  I don't currently have a 3D tv and really don't want to purchase one unless I'm sure it'll work like this...  

Also:  If I downloaded a 3D movie, would it be able to play in 2D mode also, or are those completely separate file types?

Thanks for all the help!

If you have a 3D TV you can stream 3D movie files on that TV using Plex and ROKU. I do it on my 2011 Samsung Smart TV. The 3D movie files will have what looks like identical side by side or top and bottom images when viewed in 2D mode so you do need separate 3D and 2D files to watch both. I just have a separate 3D Section in Plex.

On my TV I activate 3D Mode then I am asked to choose side by side or top and bottom mode based on the file I am trying to play. It actually works really well and I am sure the technology has gotten better since I bought my TV.

• jeremylivinjeremylivin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Thanks!  That answered my questions perfectly.

• quasiscquasisc Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Sooo, I actually came looking for a solution to my problem when I found this thread.

I can actually watch 3D movies via Plex & Chromecast, but not via Plex and Roku (Roku 2 XD model).  I have both Chromecast and a Roku hooked up to the same tv.  When I use Chromecast it allows me to select the correct 3D viewing mode (side by side), but for some reason the side by side viewing mode is greyed out in Roku.  Wwitching HDMI ports/cables makes no difference.  Any suggestions?  It's not really a Plex issue, and I assume I'd have to get a Roku 3 box for 3D movies to work, just throw that in here so see if somebody has found a different work solution?

• gwigwi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

I have a Roku 3 model and I can't play 3D with neither Plex Channel nor RARflix channel. If I play the same file with the Plex SmartHub App on my Samsung then everything works fine. Still looking for a solution ...

• WayneBilgerWayneBilger Members, Plex Pass Posts: 78 Plex Pass

I can play 3D files no problem to my projector with a Roku 2 XS. I just play them like normal, and then on my projector

I select 3D mode as H-SBS. My projector doesn't detect the 3d files and automatically switch to 3D mode , but if your TV does,

from my understanding, you just have to properly name your files. ie. Smurfs2.avi would need to be Smurfs2.h-sbs.avi, and 

plex will pass that it is a 3D file.

• AvandeLAvandeL Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

So, there is no option in Plex to switch between 3D and 2D movies. Why not? It is not only the TV, projector or whatever you watch it on, but the streamed signal, left and right or top and bottom images should be adjusted from the player side and not the receiving side (monitor, tv etc.) I guess that this should be an option in next Plex server/client, don't you think so?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,459 Plex Employee

Not quite sure what you are asking or wanting. A 3D movie is nothing more than 2 videos placed on top of or next to each other. The TV is what takes this and makes it 3D.

If you want Plex to take the 3D videos and cut 1 off to make a 2D video, there is a feature request for that. Go show your support and like the post. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/124183/feature-request-convert-3d-to-2d

• friedflixfriedflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,012 Plex Pass

@WayneBilger said:
    I can play 3D files no problem to my projector with a Roku 2 XS. I just play them like normal, and then on my projector

I select 3D mode as H-SBS. My projector doesn't detect the 3d files and automatically switch to 3D mode , but if your TV does,

from my understanding, you just have to properly name your files. ie. Smurfs2.avi would need to be Smurfs2.h-sbs.avi, and 

When i do this, my projector 3D option is unavailable...any thoughts?

• achristtachristt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2

@friedflix said:

@WayneBilger said:

When i do this, my projector 3D option is unavailable...any thoughts?

From the very last section of the Plex Support Portal at https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200381043-Multi-Version-Movies

"Note: This feature is not intended for situations where you might have, for instance, both a "theatrical" and "director's cut" version of a movie. Likewise, it is not appropriate for 2D vs 3D versions. Those situations are best handled by Splitting the movie into separate library items."

• friedflixfriedflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,012 Plex Pass

Has nothing to do with it. When I have the ROKU box connected to the projector the 3D projector menu item is greyed out.