If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Orca's MKV Fix tool Version 1.2 (new update)

OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung DeveloperPosts: 7,349Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I smacked a tool together to repair MKV files more easily for personal use.

If you can use it, have a go at it.

orcasmkvfix12.png

Installation instructions:

It's a Windows tool only.

- Make sure you have installed .Net framework 4.0 or get it here

- Download and install the latest MKVToolNix from here

- Unzip the attached file to a folder and run OrcasMKVFix.exe from there.

- Browse to the folder where you installed MKVToolNix (normally  C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVToolNix or C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix)

- Press the button next to video folder to point to where your videos are located, e voila, you're good to go.

So what does it do?

-Repair broken MKV files that don't play on a Samsung device

The most import task is to fix MKV files that will not play on a Samsung device. (symptom :Movie starts, shows a swirling loader icon, then returns to the home screen)

It will not fix every possible problem, it will just remove some attributes that have been added with later version of MKV. That should normally be enough to get them to run.

Just select the checkbox in front of the file(s) that does not want to play and hit the "Repair selected" button.

After a while the icon should turn into a "thumbs-up" icon and the file has been fixed.

If you look in the location of the file, there should be 3 files now:

-  The original file, it is renamed to ".bkp"

-  An empty file named ".fixed" to indicate the file was already processed (this is what makes it show a "thumbs-up")

- The fixed file will have the original name ".mkv"

Note: you can disable keeping backups in the menu of the tool, but don't blame me if your movie gets garbled!

- Get Media info from a file

Right click on a file and either select Show MediaInfo or Show MKVInfo to list the information.

This can be handy if you are running into problem and we need you to supply the mediainfo for the file.

- Extract Internal subtitles from a movie to create external subtitles

MKV files often have the subtitles embedded inside the movie. However not all Samsung Models are able to display them by default.

External subtitles are supported on all models, so this will enable you to still enjoy those subtitles.

Select the MKV files that you want to extract subtitles from. The file should have a number behind it, indicating the number of subtitles inside the file.

Click the "Extract subtitles" button and wait until it is done. Now re-run the library scan on your PMS and you will now have the subtitles available as external ones.

Note: This only works for .srt files. The external subtitle engine of the app doesn't support anything else.

Additional Notes:

- This tool comes with no support what so ever, if it works for you that's great, if not, i'm sorry, use something else.

- There is no guarantee this will fix your problem, but then again you have nothing to loose either.

- Don't go wild on the repair options, if it ain't broken don't fix it! Some perfect playing files may not work after a "fix".

- Don't worry, the original files stay untouched so, you can try different things. To restore them, just rename them from ".bkp" to ".mkv" again.

- Start with the first three default options, they are usually enough to make the file work again.

Hope it can help someone out.

Change log:

v 1.0

- Initial release

v 1.1

- [Updated] - Can now process files in a row

v.1.2

- [Updated] - Hopefully fixed the crashes people were getting.

- [Updated] - Extracting subtitles from a file that had spaces in it, didn't work.

- [New] - Extract subtitles from all selected files

Downloads:

OrcasMKVFix1.2.zip

Alternative download link

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

Comments

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,259Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Orca wrote on April 19 2013, 4:51 PM: »

Note that "fixed" files always show the bug, because the latest version is a suspect too if not used with the repair options.

If you added a dummy xml attachment during remuxing, you could check for presence of it during a second run with mkvinfo, but anyway....great tool, so huge thanx

/Tommy

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,047Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Love that your making this accessible for us non-hackers. Thank you!
    Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • nick10nick10 Posts: 70Members ✭✭

I know you said no support, so i guess im bug reporting.. when i try to extract subtitles for the movie broken city i get this error:

Error: Invalid track ID/file name specification in argument 'City'.

Same for my other MKV's.. Also, there is a ? in red before the file path in the main view.

nick10 wrote on April 19 2013, 10:43 PM: »

I know you said no support, so i guess im bug reporting.. when i try to extract subtitles for the movie broken city i get this error:

Error: Invalid track ID/file name specification in argument 'City'.

Same for my other MKV's.. Also, there is a ? in red before the file path in the main view.

Hmmm.......Worked fine for me, so just a simple guess.....

Did you use a mapped drive, or a UNC path?

(I'm using mapped myself, and it worked just as Orca said it would)

And for Orca: Did you perhaps build in some debug logging switches ?

/Tommy

Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

edited April 2013
    dane22 wrote on April 19 2013, 10:51 PM: »

Hmmm.......Worked fine for me, so just a simple guess.....

Did you use a mapped drive, or a UNC path?

(I'm using mapped myself, and it worked just as Orca said it would)

And for Orca: Did you perhaps build in some debug logging switches ?

/Tommy

I'm not sure, i have a external hard drive that i don't disconnect from my computer and all my movies stay on that.. i just openeded a movie from there..

*update*

I think my drives are mapped, it is just I:\Movies

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,349Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I think you might be trying to extract an image based subtitle (like PGS), it only extracts Text based subtitles like .srt for the moment.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

Orca wrote on April 21 2013, 9:27 AM: »

I think you might be trying to extract an image based subtitle (like PGS), it only extracts Text based subtitles like .srt for the moment.

I'm pretty sure the MKV has a SRT file imbedded, this is when i right click on the mkv using your program to get the mkv info:

Track number: 3 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 2)
      Track UID: 2864556437
      Track type: subtitles
      Enabled: 1
      Default flag: 0
      Forced flag: 0
      Lacing flag: 0
      MinCache: 0
      Timecode scale: 1
      Max BlockAddition ID: 0
      Codec ID: S_TEXT/UTF8
      Codec decode all: 1
      Language: eng

S_TEXT meants its a text based file doesn't it?
  • uberjew666uberjew666 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This seems to happen everytime I watch GOT. To remedy the file, I open it up in mkvmerge, select the audio and change the language to eng and change compression to none. Same for the video too.

I tried your tool, Orca unfortunately didn't work. :/

Raspberry PI: 256MB Model B

Memory Card: Sandisk 16GB Class 10 45MB/s

Rasplex version: 1.36 - Fast!

Network type: Wired

• liiightliiight Posts: 449Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

On the risk of sounding like a dummy, what does this tool actually fix? Maybe I have an that I'm unaware of... ;)

• Sound FactorSound Factor Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    edited April 2013
    liiight wrote on April 22 2013, 3:27 PM: »

On the risk of sounding like a dummy, what does this tool actually fix? Maybe I have an that I'm unaware of... ;)

Yeah I don't get it either. I have a kung fu MKV file with embedded subtitles and 5.1 sound. This tool did nothing for it. All my tv says is unsupported container. I don't get why it forces me to use this APP to watch my movies. 

*edit* I have to extract the subtities file because my tv doesn't support embedded subtitles apparently

*Edit 2* Extracting the srt file did not help. I could play the movie but plex or the tv wouldn't play the srt file even after starting the movie, enabling subtitles and selecting the english file then restarting the movie.

There's a lot of reasons why an MKV will not play, all depending on both the device as well as on the MKV file

Some devices will not play MKV files with a compressed header......This tool will fix that for you

Some devices will not play, if the header contains "new" attributes to the MKV file.......Some of those will be fixed with this tool

All devices will not play, if the audio inside the MKV is in a profile level above 4.1....This tool will not fix this.....You'll have to remux the file

Some files will not play, if the format inside the MKV is not a friend of Samsung.......This tool will not fix this....either transcode, or remux

/Tommy

• DennisKDennisK Posts: 2Members
    edited May 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a little Problem with some different MKV's.

If I Select them from my Player the MKV is Loading but after the TV is turning black nothing happens.

I have try to see any differences in the xml files of them directly at the plexServer, but every time when I think that's the Problem I find a similar MKV *.xml which is played correctly.

So maybe you know any reason why?

postscript:

If I go directly to the directory over the Samsung menu without using the Plex APP then the Movie loads and everything is fine.

We'll need an mkvinfo dump from a problem file

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,349Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    dane22 wrote on May 2 2013, 1:21 PM: »

We'll need an mkvinfo dump from a problem file

You can use the the tool from the first post to create this info

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• gregghawesgregghawes Posts: 1Members

Worked for me, thanks so much, I have been trying to get some mkv files to work for days!

• Denys06Denys06 Posts: 15Members

hello, my picture is it normal ?

Sans titre-2.jpg

- I have the message "Unable to load MediaInfo Library"

- My new file than I have "fixed" has the same red icon as the old file.

Denys06 wrote on May 21 2013, 1:18 PM: »

hello, my picture is it normal ?

attachicon.gifSans titre-2.jpg

- I have the message "Unable to load MediaInfo Library"

- My new file than I have "fixed" has the same red icon as the old file.

- MediaInfo is not really needed to do the fix, you probably are using a 32 bit system instead of a 64 bit.

-  Quote from the first post: "Note that "fixed" files always show the bug, because the latest version is a suspect too if not used with the repair options."

So yes, that is normal. Just try if it works, rename your old files to something else, and remove the "fixed" from the filename.

This way you don't need to run a library scan and can try it right away to run it on your TV.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• Bas PostBas Post Posts: 113Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi Orca, any plans to make a Mac App of it? I don't have windows. On my macmini which runs PMS and PHT, I don't want to install bootcamp, parallels or VM-Ware.

Proud to be BALD!

• phaseshiftphaseshift Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Great tool orca! works like a charm! I have one question, is there a way to repair multiple files at once? Or set it so that the tool just moves on to the next file in the folder?

• BozoBozo Posts: 55Members
    Bas Post wrote on May 22 2013, 1:35 PM: »

Hi Orca, any plans to make a Mac App of it? I don't have windows. On my macmini which runs PMS and PHT, I don't want to install bootcamp, parallels or VM-Ware.

+1 for a Mac port.

I really have no idea how to fix MKVs which do not play on the Samsung TV. Does anyone know a solution on the Mac?