Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Attempting to create simple channel

poolepoole Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Very new to creating channels and python. I am attempting to create a channel that will play a video from my local machine (plex server).  By looking out some bundles I have been able to get my art work to show up under my channels in plex.  When I click on icon, I get server has returned error.  I know I don't have something right and most likely alot is not correct.  I want a simple channel to play a file that is located on the computer, no streaming from internet. Actually it is ota that records to a ts file, when the icon for the channel is click, it will play the ts transcoding to mp4 as it goes.  I actually got it to work by just having it update my library. It works doing that, but I want to take it further with plans down the road.  I want a channel for it.  Any help in guiding my inferior programming skills to creating a simple one file channel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• mikedm139mikedm139 Plugin Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,022 Plex Ninja

Streaming of local content via channel is not supported via the plugin framework and (AFAIK) not a priority for the Plex team. At times, there may have been work-arounds but I'm not aware of any functional ones currently.

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
    If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************
    Check out unofficial channels in the
    UnSupported AppStore
    Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
    Donate

• poolepoole Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Interesting, looks like if you can put an http://host or whatever to locate a file to stream, you could do the same for a local file.

• GerkGerk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,052 Plex Pass

If you're trying to play private files (I think I saw you post about this in another forum here), then I suggest you setup a second PMS instance (like in a virtual machine) and then limit the access to it to specific IP addresses.  This is what I do with my setup at home and it works fine for things that you don't want to share with the whole network ;)

• ServerMediaCenterServerMediaCenter Members Posts: 1

Hi Poole! This is a very old post but I want to do the same, a channel that play video locally from my machine.. Did you finally achieve it? Somebody has any ideas?

• czukowskiczukowski Members Posts: 124 ✭✭

@ServerMediaCenter, you have Plex library for that, don't you?

Alternatively, you can set up an HTTP server on your local machine and point your channel to that. If you're going to make your content available to the network - ie beyond localhost - take security settings very seriously. Sorry for not providing any specific steps, they widely depend on the server software chosen, OS and other factors, you should refer to the install instructions for the server. I don't think it is going to be very easy.