Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Download music to laptop?

dlaciv12dlaciv12 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 97 ✭✭

I want to download some music to my laptop from my media PC. I am on my home network and Plex/Web allows me to download TV episodes and movies but not music. Is there something I'm missing?  

Comments

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,193 Plex Employee

This feature is only available for videos right now. It's very possible we extend it to music tracks and photos, but we're not entirely happy with the download action on a higher level. We're thinking of ways of making this better still.

• looselyhumanlooselyhuman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

+1

• pnovotnakpnovotnak Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

+1, this would be really handy, since there's no queue feature in the web app.

Doesn't have to be perfect, man! The video download is great! Just need a download button for all music groupings (song, album, artist, genre.) Doesn't have to be pretty or especially efficient (could just be some JS traversal.)

I poked at using userscript for this, but it really doesn't make sense to do it that way- too much AJAX going on.

// ==UserScript==
    // @name        Plex Web Music Downloader
    // @namespace   pmd
    // @version     0.1
    // @description  Downloads an artist tree of music
    // @match       http://localhost:32400/*
    // @copyright   2014+, nobody
    // @require  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js
    // @require  https://gist.github.com/raw/2625891/waitForKeyElements.js
    // @grant    GM_addStyle
    // ==/UserScript==

waitForKeyElements('.breadcrumb-btn', setup);

function setup() {
    	URL = location.href.substring(0, location.href.indexOf("/", 8));

if (checkIfMusicSection()) {
            console.log('((((((((((MUSIC section');
            waitForKeyElements('.media-list .hide-hover-overlay a', populateMusicSection);
        } else if (checkIfAlbumSection()) {
            console.log('((((((((((ALBUM section');
        } else if (checkIfArtistSection()) {
            console.log('((((((((((ARTIST section');
        }
    }

function checkIfMusicSection() {
        if ($('.section-list-title').length > 0) {
            return true;
        } else {
            return false;
        }
    }

function checkIfArtistSection() {
        if ($('.artist-title').length > 0) {
            return true;
        } else {
            return false;
        }
    }

function checkIfAlbumSection() {
        if ($('.album-title').length > 0) {
            return true;
        } else {
            return false;
        }
    }

function populateMusicSection() {
        regie = /\d*$/;
        link = $('.media-list .hide-hover-overlay a').attr("href");
        object_id = regie.exec(link);
        getChildren(object_id, 'music');
        $.get(URL + '/library/metadata/' + object_id + '/children', function(data) {
            children = $(data).find('Directory');
            children.each(function(i, value) {
            console.log(value.attributes.key.value);
        });
    }

Should be enough to get someone started quickly if they want to pick this up.

• dsalazarsimpsondsalazarsimpson Members Posts: 1

+ 1!! I find this of great importance. For example it will help me keep my iphoto and itunes library "synced" across my two PC's! Please get back to us if there is any news!

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,193 Plex Employee

The web interface already has a download action for tracks.

• mrmishlermrmishler Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4

Indeed it does, but it only downloads one track at a time. Like pnovotnak said, one per tier - Artist, Album, Song - would be amazing. Probably the last thing missing from Plex! (outside of the app not being available on some platforms yet)

• mjrdzinemjrdzine Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@mrmishler said:
    Indeed it does, but it only downloads one track at a time. Like pnovotnak said, one per tier - Artist, Album, Song - would be amazing. Probably the last thing missing from Plex! (outside of the app not being available on some platforms yet)

I think downloading songs on a playlist is the most important. I can copy music by artist, album, genre, etc. directly from my computer without needing to use Plex. OS file managers on both Windows and Linux allow me to sort files that way. What i can't do is copy/download a Plex playlist. And after taking the time to create a great playlist i don't want to have to spend the time trying to recreate it or remember every song on an 8+ hour playlist to download them.

• NarfoticNarfotic Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

+1
    Would really like this feature

• ucjbucjb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 133 Plex Pass
    edited January 27

No comment

• johnforzjohnforz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

+1 a group/folder level "download" would be amazing- i.e. being able to download an entire album of music with one click.

• jacdybjacdyb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

+1 It would be great to have this feature. I think it could make Plex the best solution for collecting media. Please, allow me to download my music albums with just one click! :)

• KinanswerKinanswer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

+1 Didn't realise I couldn't until I tried just now ...then found this post :neutral:

• PlaidRadishPlaidRadish Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Great ideas, here, but I think we should inject some reality, at this point, before unnecessary pressure is placed on our good friends at Plex:

• 1) Downloading more than 3 or 4 simultaneous files on the average computer system is handled locally (download managers, web browsers, etc.), not by the source of the download. Therefore, YMMV, depending on how reliable your system is, not based on how good Plex is at adjusting their server code. Some people with slower systems or broken browsers and download managers will not be able to download full albums at a time. That makes multiple simultaneous tracks a bad idea, as it would give users a negative impression of Plex, and I'm sure the intelligent people at Plex already know that and will therefore avoid that mistake.

• 2) There is, of course the all-in-one app/service/computer system that allows multiple, mass, simultaneous downloads like iTunes on a Mac, but for obvious reasons this will not work for Plex, as they are not selling you a music service, managed cloud storage space, a separate music management client for your desktop, mobile phone, tablet and web experience that includes an enormous database of songs they own and plan to sell you. Oh yeah, and Plex doesn't manufacture PC's, phones, and tablets to sell you to insure that those services work they way they want it to. Instead, you get flexibility.

• 3) The last and probably best option, employed by many music cloud services, is to generate a zip file and allow you to download the entire album as a single, large file. While this is still the best method in the music service world, it does require some thought and time to determine how your individual machine is capable of zipping files quickly, accurately, and in a manner conducive to downloading.

Obviously, this is just my two cents, but out of concern for my favorite company right now (Plex, obviously), I thought I should share with all the forum users who wind up at this page. ;-)