Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex web playback keeps stopping, where it doesn't on other devices.

davidbdyerdavidbdyer Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't get tv shows to play back thru Plex web without constant pausing. Safari mac 10.8.3

Comments

• czerk89czerk89 Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was going to start another thread about a similar issue, but I'll just contribute to this one.

It also seems as though not all Plex/Webs behave in the same way. Let me elaborate. Right now, I have the same 1080p MP4 movie playing on four devices at the same time. I am streaming from a 2012 Mac Mini at 3mbps, 720p on each device. My download speed is 84 Mbps and upload is 39 Mbps.

These are all "remote" connections. On my iPad 2nd gen, I'm playing though Plex/Web and it buffers every 3 minutes. Sometimes more frequently. I'm also playing through Chrome OS computer (Cr-48) on Plex/Web and it buffers every 10 seconds. And lastly, I'm playing through the an iPhone 4 Plex App over 3g. It had not buffered even once. On my iMac, I am playing on Plex/Web as well. On the iMac, when I first started it, it didn't quite buffer, but it did stutter quite a few time. About a minute later, it's played smoothly and not buffered. As I stated earlier, each one is playing 3mbps 720p. When I switched my iPad 2 to the Plex App, it never buffered also.

• kolossbosskolossboss Posts: 236Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I have 6Mbit upload and the same issue, with plex/web and other remote playing clients. Downloading from my NAS Server = ca. 700 kb/s, and downloading from Plex/Web on MacMini Server = 150 kb/s???

So playing only works below 2 mbit on all devices.

MacMini (late 2012) 16GB RAM -- PMS and PHT and PMP

1x Roku 2 XD (shared)

4x iPhone, iPad

1x HP Touchpad with android

3x MacBook (early 2011), (Unibody late 2010), Retina  (mid 2014)

3x Raspberry Pi 2 with Rasplex or PMP

6x Windows PC with Plex/Web or PHT

• dlasherdlasher Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    nomad100 wrote on May 20 2013, 8:36 PM: »

I can't get tv shows to play back thru Plex web without constant pausing. Safari mac 10.8.3

I'm noticing the same thing. Plex CLIENT windows works fine, no buffering, Roku client works fine, no buffering, plex WEB buffering constantly. 

• songoksongok Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Im having the same issue with plex web. Playback stops around the 3 minute mark for all files. Playback on my phone and tablet using the android client works fine when connected to the same remote net connection.

Clients

-Iphone 5s
    -Ipad 4
    -Asus transformer infinity (TF700)
    -Samsung galaxy S4 mini

-Note 2

-Galaxy S5

I've made multiple changes in the last week, trying to address this issue:

-- updated PMS to beta

-- changed "Streaming Quality" for both local and remote

-- unchecked "direct play" and "direct stream"

have more than enough verified upload and download, more than enough CPU (8 cores) and clients (android, roku) work fine, but Plex Web does not.

Something is broken.

• mazarianmazarian Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also having the same issue! I'm within my own network and the PlexWeb interface constantly pauses for buffering.  I wish there was a way to increase the buffer.

• mahjohnmahjohn Posts: 132Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

ditto....same...bump....

• awilisch@gmail.comawilisch@gmail.com Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah I'm having the same issue. It's sad that I can play the file directly from my nas downstairs with no studdering and fairly smooth playback, but through Plexweb it buffers constantly. Really hope this gets fixed. 

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,195Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

There are two primary causes for repeated buffering. The media server may not be keeping up with the transcode (when transcoding video and not playing the video directly). There might be some slowdown with the network and the video isn't being delivered quick enough. Some of you are not having issues with other clients that are also probably having to transcode, so we'll have to try to pin down the differences.

A few things to check:

1) Try to eliminate any network issues by testing using an ethernet connection and not wifi.

2) Ensure that Direct Play and Direct Stream are enabled. Enabling direct play will avoid unnecessary transcodes for videos that can be played directly (namely mp4/h264/aac). Enabling direct stream will remux streams when possible, which is much less costly than transcoding. This should help speed your media server up.

3) Use the 20 Mbps quality if your setup can handle it. If the bitrate of the video exceeds the quality you selected, it will always transcode the video to the lower quality. This is harder on your media server. Using a high quality will allow your media server to remux since it will not need to transcode to a lower quality.

4) Ensure the local / remote quality is being handled correctly. I've seen some reports that sometimes the local quality is being used even with a remote connection. You can look in the logs for this.

5) If you have access to Safari on OSX or an iOS / Android device, which supports playback of HLS, you can compare how buffering is handled in those browsers. It's possible that part of the issue lies specifically with the Flash video player, which is required for Chrome / Firefox / IE.

This is a good starting point. If you continue to have issues, we'll need to investigate further.

ericmatthys wrote on June 21 2013, 3:36 PM: »

There are two primary causes for repeated buffering. The media server may not be keeping up with the transcode (when transcoding video and not playing the video directly). There might be some slowdown with the network and the video isn't being delivered quick enough. Some of you are not having issues with other clients that are also probably having to transcode, so we'll have to try to pin down the differences.

A few things to check:

1) Try to eliminate any network issues by testing using an ethernet connection and not wifi.

2) Ensure that Direct Play and Direct Stream are enabled. Enabling direct play will avoid unnecessary transcodes for videos that can be played directly (namely mp4/h264/aac). Enabling direct stream will remux streams when possible, which is much less costly than transcoding. This should help speed your media server up.

3) Use the 20 Mbps quality if your setup can handle it. If the bitrate of the video exceeds the quality you selected, it will always transcode the video to the lower quality. This is harder on your media server. Using a high quality will allow your media server to remux since it will not need to transcode to a lower quality.

4) Ensure the local / remote quality is being handled correctly. I've seen some reports that sometimes the local quality is being used even with a remote connection. You can look in the logs for this.

5) If you have access to Safari on OSX or an iOS / Android device, which supports playback of HLS, you can compare how buffering is handled in those browsers. It's possible that part of the issue lies specifically with the Flash video player, which is required for Chrome / Firefox / IE.

This is a good starting point. If you continue to have issues, we'll need to investigate further.

Eric, thank you for the post, responses below:

1. No wifi, public internet involved. (Note: Roku on same path works fine, is properly transcoded)

2. disabled. WAN connection is limited to 5M upstream, trancoding required

3. NA

4. Which logs? I suspect this is the root of the issue

5. Android works fine with Plex client.

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,195Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

4) You'll want to look in the web console. In Chrome, press ctrl / cmd + alt + i and click Console. When you play a video, you'll see some logs there.

• obaceskiobaceski Posts: 9Members
    edited August 2013

I think I know what's going on. I was having similar symptoms to other people:

playing videos from a computer using the web client through different connections:

-when using a cabled 100Mbps connections, it works perfectly fine

-when moving to wireless, if using chrome as the browser, after 5 to 10 seconds of playback it stops (buffering)

-same wireless setup but using safari on the same computer, it plays back without "buffering" but it is evident from the artifacts on the screen that theres a LOT of packet loss.

That's when I went and took a look at the Task Manager on the plex server, particularly the use of network bandwidth. I can see that instead of throttling back the network usage to respect the bitrate specified on the configuration (3mbps in my case) what the plex server is doing is serving the files in very erratic bursts that go up to 40 Mbps! no wonder there's packet loss over wireless.

What Plex needs is IMO a mechanism to throttle/shape the client bandwidth when on the local network, so files are served at no more than the transcoded bitrate target (or a bit more, but not 10 times more as is the case now!) If Plex were to do that, there will be no more packet loss as the burstiness would disappear, and thus not overwelming the wifi capacity anymore.

Unless this is solved, wifi will be unusable with plex IMO.

• mattp31mattp31 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've also been having buffering problems, but only after pausing a video: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/75928-constant-buffering-after-pausing-or-skipping/

• Joris-TimmermansJoris-Timmermans Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm new to plex and having the same problem, It also seems that the Windows 8 Metro app is using the same HTTP stream as the webapp, so it also has this problem.

2 Scenario's with the same server (Core i5 4x2.8ghz, 8GM Ram and SSD), gigabit connection, same laptop, same video file

• When using the Web interface or Windows 8 Metro app, i get buffering every few seconds, CPU usage however only is 30%
    • When using the Plex Desktop app everything runs smooth and CPU usage is 90%

So what's the problem here?

• obaceskiobaceski Posts: 9Members
    timofp wrote on August 2 2013, 10:15 PM: »

I'm new to plex and having the same problem, It also seems that the Windows 8 Metro app is using the same HTTP stream as the webapp, so it also has this problem.

2 Scenario's with the same server (Core i5 4x2.8ghz, 8GM Ram and SSD), gigabit connection, same laptop, same video file

• When using the Web interface or Windows 8 Metro app, i get buffering every few seconds, CPU usage however only is 30%
    • When using the Plex Desktop app everything runs smooth and CPU usage is 90%

So what's the problem here?

the problem is that the server is shooting traffic at a higher rate than the network can handle, and unnecesarily. You can compare both network usages going to your server,, ctrl-alt-del, task manager and look fro netwoork performance. The try using the web player and then the windows (or mac) plex client, you will notice a much smoother use of the network in the case of the app client compared to the web player

• PlexHS1PlexHS1 Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the same issue with Plex/Web on my Surface 2 on 8.1 and on the app.

This wasn't happening before the last update to the app at least. Now it doesn't work on either.

Surprised there hasn't been a response since August.

• rehatielrehatiel Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have also noticed this.. usually I see a spike in CPU usage on the server, then the CPU usage drops, but the video still hangs.  It's almost like there's a problem with transcoding.

• dreamer728dreamer728 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

this started happening for me after the last PMS update. I thought it was related to the iOS update as the issue was happening for me on my iPad, but the buffering is just as bad on my wired (remote) connection using Plex/Web. 

If I RDP into my PMS server, the CPU usage is at 100% with the "new transcoder" service.

I turned off using the "experimental" player in Plex/web, and now it plays without skipping, but the quality is miserable.

Are there new settings that need to be used for this new update? Or is the new transcoder just too resource heavy and we now have to wait for another update? 

Very frustrating as I have no other way to remote connect to my media, so I can either watch bad quality or not at all...!!

• rehatielrehatiel Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hmm.. I'm starting to wonder if this is a Chrome issue...  Seems to operate just fine in Firefox.  What else is everyone running as a browser when experiencing this problem?

• epmeyerepmeyer Posts: 2Members

Chrome seems to be the issue for me as well. This is very disappointing since I have a chromebook :/ Has anyone found a solution to make chrome work with plex/web?