If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for ArchLinux available

tmoore01tmoore01 Posts: 17Members ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Linux

Hi.. I have currently adopted the Plex package for Arch Linux, and while it's a work-in-progress it works quite well.  So if any of you are Arch Linux users pop on over to the AUR to download!

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plexmediaserver/

NOTE: Please post any support question into the Linux subforums, not in this thread.

Comments

• tekknolagitekknolagi Posts: 1Members

So I changed the configuration to run as another user ("deluge", which owns the media folder I'd like Plex to see), and changed the home directory to the aforementioned media directory as well. Now Plex cannot read the directory or write the pid file... how can I fix this? What am I doing wrong?

• tmoore01tmoore01 Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Did you change the ownership of all the files to the "deluge" user as well? i.e.

chown -R deluge /opt/plexmediaserver

?

• tlgreen2tlgreen2 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue.  I upgraded from a previous version ( 9.7.?) from the repo in the AUR.   None of the agents appear in the settings, and I can't save a library location.  Here is the section from the log.  Initially It wouldn't start because because I didn't have a plex user,  but I added it and reinstalled, and now it starts fine, but no libraries can be added.  I also tried a couple of different users, and nothing helped.

Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a58993700] DEBUG - Saving 0 bytes of expected 0 for a POST.
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG - Request: POST /library/sections?type=movie&agent=&scanner=&language=&location=%2Fmedia%2FVideo%2Fmovies%2FFamily_Movies&name=Movies [192.168.10.1:63661] (4 live)
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG -  * type => movie
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG -  * agent => 
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG -  * scanner => 
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG -  * language => 
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG -  * location => /media/Video/movies/Family_Movies
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG -  * name => Movies
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG - We found auth token (xxxxxxxx), enabling token-based authentication.
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] DEBUG - Came in with a super-token, authorization succeeded.
    Aug 22, 2013 18:28:31 [0x7f3a16e6b700] VERBOSE - Completed request: POST /library/sections?type=movie&agent=&scanner=&language=&location=%2Fmedia%2FVideo%2Fmovies%2FFamily_Movies&name=Movies: 400

• tlgreen2tlgreen2 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2013

I've tried moving the database over, that allows me to see my stuff on plexweb, but I can't update or change anything.  I tried deleting the system.bundle and framework.bundle and they are remade, but I still have no agents and can't make changes.  It looks like others are having the same issues.  I've made everything owned by plex:plex. Setting the plex user to root allowed me to see the media on my.plexapp, but still says that the channel directory isn't available and it says "problem updating" if I check for updates.

Tom

• zachofalltrades_zachofalltrades_ Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2013

I am looking into getting one of the newer ARM7hf devices to build a low power headless server and trying to run Plex server.

There are several devices on the market now with four arm7 cores, floating point coprocessors, and hardware GPU support:

Cubox-i4Pro          http://cubox-i.com/

Wandboard Quad http://wandboard.org/

ODROID X2          http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135235611947

ODROID U2          http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451

ODROID XU          http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G137510300620

The Arch package assumes x86 architecture, but there is a arm5 variant available. Is there any way to get support for ARM7 with hard float and also take advantage of GPU rendering support?

• realpariahrealpariah Posts: 327Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2013

Why are you folks not setting your media dirs and files to use the plex:plex user and group that should be created as part of the server install?  All you do is chown the media to plex:plex then chmod them to 770 [I used an older guide which specified 665 I think or 655 I forget but those permissions still all work with newest plex version as I have not updated my media perms to the newer 77o specification just by the by [also use -R to set all files under specified dir [ie chown -R plex:plex /some/mount/and/my/media/dir/ (same with chmod)

then do the add user to group so you basically add your user [or whatever user you wish] to the plex group [taken from archlinux wiki]:

gpasswd -a [myuser] plex

That way you don't have to worry about chowning the plex data and binary directories and then chmod them as well to get Plex reading everything  you just leave the plex user [usually a hidden user it is there if you list groups or users with terminal command as root or using su or sudo] so the program runs as it should and then just add whatever user is controlling those files to the plex group so they then have access to everything Plex does [on top of their other permissions as well to other locations in the system].

I hope this helps as it seeems you guys just didn't know, notice, or realize there is a hidden user/group created by plex installs [I am using an ubuntu distro and I am betting this is a port wherein most everything should remain the same if not maybe the lead dev could have that placed where needed in to arch scripts for install as happens in Ubuntu].

Man looks like I can help a good number of folks around here at this rate I should be hired as a moderator for this forum I think I have answered most of the posts in a day and a half of logging in to check out the forums LoL.

Just glad I can help others with such an awesome software package.  It takes a lot of work to get the media naming conventions right, their permissions and ownerships to jive for the media, etc. , but once you have Plex running correctly it is the BEST and really ONLY media streaming server that runs soo solidly and has soo many nice little features [like come on Sync, who doesn't love basic DVR functionality out of a NetFlix clone running on their own hardware [I think I just got a nerdy tech **** :-) ], not to mention the AUTO metadata scrapes, the TRANSCODING [NEVER FORGET THE AWESOME TRANSCODE 1 FILE TO RULE ALL YOUR DEVICES FOR ANYTHING YOU HAVE IS JUST THE BEST NO MORE 10 copies to cover different client scenarios SO SO SWEET], the ability to now use multiple users and control their access as well as have their play data tracked seperately.

I get it Plex can be a real bear to get it playing right even on systems it is designed for, but once you do and bother to pay a little for the Top-notch always updated code you get those tiny things like the Plex Pass Android client that you just can't beat [I find it better than Netflix client when it comes to things like Sync, and even the ability to set audio boost in the client so the sorround sound audio doesn't play soo low you have to fight tiny speakers to hear it.  I personally just can't say enough how awesome Plex is when it gets running correctly and everything is jiving.

Can you folks tell I like to return the favor in open source communities and help others once I have learned a new awesome application that is offered for free and is worth returning the favor by helping to support their users?  [My doantion prolly didn't hurt either CAN'T WAIT until I can afford LIFETIME PLEX PASS PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT AWAY BEFORE I CAN AFFORD IT PLEASE!!!] 

edited September 2013
    zachofalltrades_ wrote on September 6 2013, 12:28 AM: »

I am looking into getting one of the newer ARM7hf devices to build a low power headless server and trying to run Plex server.

There are several devices on the market now with four arm7 cores, floating point coprocessors, and hardware GPU support:

Cubox-i4Pro          http://cubox-i.com/

Wandboard Quad http://wandboard.org/

ODROID X2          http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135235611947

ODROID U2          http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451

ODROID XU          http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G137510300620

The Arch package assumes x86 architecture, but there is a arm5 variant available. Is there any way to get support for ARM7 with hard float and also take advantage of GPU rendering support?

Um, but doesn't the official Andorid Plex client [I know I see it and have used it in the Plex Pass Android Client] where it can be set to advertise as a server in the settings and once turned on shows up on the other clients with it's media integrated in to plex or easily found via any DLNA client used on the same network using the device name you set in the settings [just use Plex Android Client on a second device for instance and could even in settings set the layout to TV so you could have Plex present in TV layout designed for larger displays and remotes AND THEN use ANY Android Plex client as a remote to the one used as a client if you don't want to go buying remotes or your serving Android doesn't do irDA?

For instance I can turn server function on on my phone, connect my tablet via HDMI to my TV set as TV layout and then grab a friends android a second phone I have laying around, etc. open plex tap the remote function and connect to the tablet connected to the TV and viola now I don't need to move off my couch to watch whatever is on my Plex server or on my phone [or even set any other Andorid devices as servers while they are  connected and could play any media from any of them]   :-D

I just fire up the client open settings enable the server and bam any media on my Android is playable via other networked clients [I don't like to just leave server on as I could easily connect to public access points and who wants to accidnetally share the sort of thing that would KILL your bandwidth and battery?

• zachofalltrades_zachofalltrades_ Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    realpariah wrote on September 18 2013, 3:55 PM: »

Um, but doesn't the official Andorid Plex client [I know I see it and have used it in the Plex Pass Android Client] where it can be set to advertise as a server in the settings and once turned on shows up on the other clients with it's media integrated in to plex or easily found via any DLNA client used on the same network using the device name you set in the settings [just use Plex Android Client on a second device for instance and could even in settings set the layout to TV so you could have Plex present in TV layout designed for larger displays and remotes AND THEN use ANY Android Plex client as a remote to the one used as a client if you don't want to go buying remotes or your serving Android doesn't do irDA?

For instance I can turn server function on on my phone, connect my tablet via HDMI to my TV set as TV layout and then grab a friends android a second phone I have laying around, etc. open plex tap the remote function and connect to the tablet connected to the TV and viola now I don't need to move off my couch to watch whatever is on my Plex server or on my phone [or even set any other Andorid devices as servers while they are  connected and could play any media from any of them]   :-D

I just fire up the client open settings enable the server and bam any media on my Android is playable via other networked clients [I don't like to just leave server on as I could easily connect to public access points and who wants to accidnetally share the sort of thing that would KILL your bandwidth and battery?

Interesting solution -- but not for the question I was asking. I do not yet have a Plex server running in my home network (but I would very much like to have one). I am looking into setting one up on one of the low power ARM devices that I listed -- the recent availability of four core devices with on bouard GPU and FPU processors, 2G RAM, and SATA or USB3 interfaces means that you can have an always-on home server for under $200 that consumes less power than a dim lightbulb. I have been running ArchLinuxARM on a SheevaPlug for a couple of years, and I am hoping that I can get a build of Plex Server to run on this recently available hardware (not simply share content from my phone via the plex client).

• alexktzalexktz Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

doesn't compile any more

• PinkyThePiggyPinkyThePiggy Posts: 235Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Another happy user of the AUR package. Thanks!

Plex Server: Arch w/ ZFS Root partition, i5-3470, 16GB RAM, 6-2 TB Hard Drives in RAID Z2 (ZFS)

Plex Clients: Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S, Plex/Web, RasPlex, PHT on craptop, Roku 2

• 00j00j Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am trying to update my plex sever but it still says i only have 0.9.7.22 still. I wrote   sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver

what am i doing wrong?

• PinkyThePiggyPinkyThePiggy Posts: 235Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    MAC7 wrote on December 23 2013, 5:26 AM: »

I am trying to update my plex sever but it still says i only have 0.9.7.22 still. I wrote   sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver

what am i doing wrong?

This thread is for Arch linux. You are using Ubuntu linux.

Having said that, the Ubuntu repository is out of date due to a computer dying that the plex team used to update it. To do it manually:

wget "http://downloads.plexapp.com/plex-media-server/0.9.8.17.282-c844f09/plexmediaserver_0.9.8.17.282-c844f09_amd64.deb"
    sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_0.9.8.17.282-c844f09_amd64.deb

(oddly enough, the most recent public version should be 9.8.14 but all of the download links point to 9.8.17)

Plex Server: Arch w/ ZFS Root partition, i5-3470, 16GB RAM, 6-2 TB Hard Drives in RAID Z2 (ZFS)

Plex Clients: Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S, Plex/Web, RasPlex, PHT on craptop, Roku 2

• devolvedevolve Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So, when mounting external drives and using those as my media source, the drive is ext4 but it doesn't work if I mount the drive through Dolphin (on kde) via udev, instead I mount it with Dolphin via udev, copy the /etc/mtab entry for it, change it to commented /dev/sdh1 and use the UUID to identify it, like the rest of my ftab, then be sure to add user to the options, i put it in front of rw, then umount and mount the partition, then plex can read it .  I did also add the plex user to the users group, as well as the group of my user...

• redingtonmredingtonm Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

So I just put my system together to run PMS. I'm still real new to ARCH Linux but I am having an issue. I run systemctl start plexmediaserver then try to go to http://localhost:32400/manage and I can't connect. So I ran systemctl and I see[ <E2><97><8F>plexmediaserver.service loaded failed failed Plex Media Sever for Linux ] I realize I probably need to provide more info but could someone help me get started?

• prideandjoy5prideandjoy5 Posts: 1Members
    redingtonm wrote on May 16 2014, 1:51 AM: »

So I just put my system together to run PMS. I'm still real new to ARCH Linux but I am having an issue. I run systemctl start plexmediaserver then try to go to http://localhost:32400/manage and I can't connect. So I ran systemctl and I see[ <E2><97><8F>plexmediaserver.service loaded failed failed Plex Media Sever for Linux ] I realize I probably need to provide more info but could someone help me get started?

Did you try http://localhost:32400/web  ?

Are you starting the server as root, or using sudo?

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,850Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    Sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver

Will show you what it's current failure status is. It will also give a short text as to why it the script failed unless the failure is after Plex attempts to launch

Sent using Tapatalk

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• McHeartyMcHearty Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass

I seem to be stuck...

This is after I try to enable the service...

$ systemctl status plexmediaserver
    ● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2014-07-03 16:21:39 PDT; 13s ago
      Process: 23827 ExecStart=/opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I can't do this either

$ /opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms

because it asks for a password that always ends in Authentication Failure. not sure what to do from here so any assistance would be awesome!

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,850Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited July 2014

Your final attempt appears to be attempting to start Plex from your, non-privileged, username while Plex would have normally been started by systemd under username 'plex' (its username) and then have failed.

Not knowing what the state of your system is,  if you have no aversion to doing a full-reset and relaunching Plex's first-start initialization / unpacking to see where it is having difficulty (and failing as shown by systemctl), I recommend the following steps:

ps -ef | grep -i plex                  (you should see nothing but the 'grep' referencing 'plex')

IF there are Plex processes running, the problem has been found.  See which username (1st column of the output) to see which username it is running as and report this back.  Also, terminate the process(es).

Now clean out the Plex data directory and restart it from scratch.   This will unpack the system bundles needed and perform initial, internal, self-initialization and prepare itself for you to complete setup.

Clean out the old Library

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library

Start Plex manually

sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver

Wait 30-60 seconds for hard drive activity to complete while Plex recreates the Library, indicating Plex it ready to continue OR terminated.

sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver

It should look similar to this (but not identical) if it's running.

[chuck@Lizum ~.51]$ sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
    plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
       Active: active (running) since Thu 2014-07-03 23:30:15 EDT; 10h ago
      Process: 1255 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" || /bin/mkdir -p "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
     Main PID: 1357 (Plex Media Serv)
       CGroup: name=systemd:/system/plexmediaserver.service
               ├─1357 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server
               ├─1469 Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system] /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Applic...
               └─1786 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server

If Plex has terminated / failed to start, go to /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs (if it exists, reporting back if not) and examine "Plex Media Server.log"  and report back the findings.

If Plex did not fail during startup,  open your browser and perform the standard initial setup at

http://127.0.0.1:32400/manage/index.html#!/setup 

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• McHeartyMcHearty Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass

Thanks for the quick response!

[mchearty@localhost ~]$ ps -ef | grep -i plex
    mchearty   906   872  0 09:49 pts/1    00:00:00 grep -i plex

[mchearty@localhost ~]$ sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
    [sudo] password for mchearty: 
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled)
       Active: inactive (dead)

then I did 

[mchearty@localhost ~]$ sudo rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library

and tried to start the service

[mchearty@localhost ~]$ sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver
    Job for plexmediaserver.service failed. See 'systemctl status plexmediaserver.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

giving me this again

[mchearty@localhost ~]$ sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2014-07-05 09:50:56 PDT; 1min 41s ago
      Process: 973 ExecStart=/opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: nologin: invalid option -- 'c'
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: Usage:
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: nologin [options]
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: Options:
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: -h, --help     display this help and exit
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: -V, --version  output version information and exit
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost start_pms[973]: For more details see nologin(8).
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
    Jul 05 09:50:56 localhost systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs does not exist.