If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

NOOB Setup questions

vidaddctvidaddct Posts: 3Members

I have successfully installed rasplex on the SD card.

Keyboard- Is there no way to finish the config without an actual wired keyboard? After having used and tossed many over the years its not like I have any more just lying around!

Remotes- I don't understand how or which device or which app to use. iphone, ipad, Remote Pi, RasPiConnect, via plex.app, plexmediaserver.app, plex for ios

Streaming- via wifi? via ethernet?

SSH- connection refused, but I can ping it

Thank you

• a_weina_wein Posts: 274Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Just try to use a remote app (Plex or XBMC)
  • RavendarqueRavendarque Posts: 4Members

I use a mini wireless keyboard for RasPlex. It works like a remote, but with the benefit of a keyboard and doesn't require any config either. There are plenty available, but the one I bought (and would thoroughly recommend) is this one (link to Amazon UK, price there is £19.99):

SSH - There are various combinations of user+pwd around the forums. The one that works for me is root+rasplex.

• vidaddctvidaddct Posts: 3Members

Thank you for answering.

• PLEX IOS app does not see the Pi. FAIL!
    • SSH

"connection refused" with ssh root@theipaddress

• netstat
    rasplex.home       b8:27:eb:d:6a:62   UHLWIi          0    65582     en1   1195
    • Traceroute has started…
    traceroute to (, 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
     1  rasplex (  3.400 ms  1.455 ms  1.371 ms
    • Port Scan has started…
    Port Scanning host:
         Open TCP Port:     3005           geniuslm
         Open TCP Port:     36666
         Open TCP Port:     36667
    Port Scan has completed…
    • services
    3005 deslogin encryted symmetric telnet/login
    • Router says:
    PC Name: rasplex   Connection Type: actiontec_sm_eth.gif Ethernet IP Address: Status: Active

Do I need to add port forwarding for this device? The only entry I have is for PMS (on my Mac) tcp/udp to 32400

Also I don't understand if the config is to be done via wifi or ethernet.  My router doesn't see it with the wifi dongle connected.

No idea what to do other than get a keyboard.

What about writing the config directly to the SD card or is that crazy?

This might be fun http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl3l8s_hack-your-macbook-keyboard-to-usb-fix-your-dead-mac_tech#.Uapqruvud-N  hahaaha

• bstascavagebstascavage Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For ssh, it seems to be bugged where you have to toggle ssh enabled off then on in the options to be able to ssh into it.

• a_weina_wein Posts: 274Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Try the XBMC iOS App
  • vidaddctvidaddct Posts: 3Members
    which one? There are about 12