If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New user - my experience

floobfloob Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass

I have a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS ultra) that I store my media, and have also recently installed the Plex Media Server on it.

The inbuilt DLNA on the NAS, and Plex itself are happily accessible on my PS3, but obviously I'm limited to the XMB interface, which isn't particularly rich.

So, I started running XBMC on my Mac laptop plugged into the TV, but it seems like overkill, plus I couldn't get that controlled by my iPhone (remote controlling what played on my TV), and didn't really want a keyboard and mouse on my coffee table.

So I thought a Raspberry Pi attached to my TV could be a good way of getting a good media library showing up.

Getting the SD card image was easy using the windows installer, and it happily booted up into the window. I plugged a wireless keyboard into it to complete the wizard. It automatically found the Plex Server without me typing anything at all and started indexing.

My TV remote (Panasonic plasma 2008 model 46PZ85) happily controlled the interface, but I did notice the screen layout didnt seem to fit the TV well, the edges carried on off the screen. Not sure how to fix that.

The navigation was a little sluggish, but usable.

I loved the iPhone control of the display, so I can control it from the app and choose what plays on the TV. It did seem a little flaky though and for some reason would suddenly stop 'seeing' the server.

I'd like to configure the RasPlex to access my media when I'm at a friends house, but am struggling to get access when not on my WiFi - I'm sure I've opened the right port on my router....

Anyway, I'll play with it a bit more and see how I go.

Looks great so far :)

• unblowupable5unblowupable5 Posts: 381Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    There is a display calibration option somewhere under Preferences that you can use to fix overscan issue you're having with the edges being cut off.
  • floobfloob Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass
    edited June 2013

Thanks very much for that. I'm off to check that out.

I just bought this, so I dont need the network lead plugged in:

Also, I'm going to try following the new skin instructions as mentioned on:

It seems the move away from the standard skin helps a lot with speed.

I'm happily controlling it with my iPhone now

And I found that I hadnt enabled the myPlex section in PMS so it wouldnt share my files when I was accessing it remotely. Works fine on 3G and remotely on my iPhone now. Just need to take the Pi to a friends house and see if it finds my setup.

Just trying to work out if I connect to myPlex on RasPlex if that goes out to the internet and streams back in, as I want to make sure its just using my local network.

• floobfloob Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass
    edited June 2013

Well I got the refocus skin working
    I downloaded it and unzipped it on my PC
    Then using FileZilla uploaded it to /.plexht/addons in a 'skins' directory
    rebooted and could select it
    But when I was using it I managed to crash it, then when I rebooted I got this on the openelec screen.
    "Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Coul dnot mount /dev/mmcblk0p2
    19.839474 System Halted"
    which is quite annoying because I think I need to reflash it now.
    Also, I cant see the preferences option in the refocus skin - anyone know how to access it?

I found that the windows view is very different to accessing by SSH :)

Here is the before and after of installing the skin