If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PlexConnect on unRAID

don.alcombrightdon.alcombright Posts: 616Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Updated directions, with python installation instructions:

Figured I would post this here:

I got it working, and its soooooo much smoother than the iphone/ipad through AIRPlay... THANK YOU PLEXCONNECT!

I have it running on RC13.

*Make note of your unRAID internal IP, if you have SimpleFeatures it is displayed in the main page in the upper right hand corner

For unRAID side, please follow below:
1. Change your default port for unRAID to something other than 80, something like 8008.
    To do this go to your go file on your flash drive and replace /usr/local/sbin/emhttp & with /usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p XX & (where XX equals the port)

2. Download Python from here: Python 2.6.6

3. But your python file under /flash/extra/, on reboot any file here will be installed
*you can also use the following: installpkg /pathtopackage/pythonpackageversion.tgz, however I would recommend a reboot since you changed your go file as well.

4. Download PlexConnect 0.1 to your destination of choice (below you will notice I used a cache drive).

5. go to puTTy and type in the following (you should be able to close puTTy after this):
nohup python /mnt/cache/apps/plexconnect/PlexConnect.py &

PMS: unRAID 6.4 (36TB) + HDHomeRun Prime | Media: 2,851 Movies, 134 TV Shows (9,099 episodes), 25,683 Songs, too many photos...
Living Room: Vizio 65" P-Series 4K Dolby Vision/HDR TV, Denon X2200W, Klipsch Quintet III & Klipsch R-12SW, Apple TV 4K Infuse as my client of choice
Mancave: Panasonic 46" TH-46PZ800U 1080p Plasma TV Apple TV (4th gen) | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" TC-L32X1 720p LCD TV, Mi Box
Connected Devices: iPad Air, iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, XBox One, Dell XPS 15" Infinity 4K
Sharing is Caring: Fire TV Sticks | Roku's | Samsung TV's | Various Phones & Tablets

Plexing since November, 2012... Infusing since 2017

Best Answer

• don.alcombrightdon.alcombright Posts: 616Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2013 Accepted Answer

MOD edit: added updated info to main post.

PMS: unRAID 6.4 (36TB) + HDHomeRun Prime | Media: 2,851 Movies, 134 TV Shows (9,099 episodes), 25,683 Songs, too many photos...
    Living Room: Vizio 65" P-Series 4K Dolby Vision/HDR TV, Denon X2200W, Klipsch Quintet III & Klipsch R-12SW, Apple TV 4K Infuse as my client of choice
    Mancave: Panasonic 46" TH-46PZ800U 1080p Plasma TV Apple TV (4th gen) | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" TC-L32X1 720p LCD TV, Mi Box
    Connected Devices: iPad Air, iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, XBox One, Dell XPS 15" Infinity 4K
    Sharing is Caring: Fire TV Sticks | Roku's | Samsung TV's | Various Phones & Tablets

Answers

• eddivelyeddively Posts: 35Members ✭✭

This is excellent. Have you posted this in the unraid forums as well? This will be a big deal over there :)

I did, I am pretty active over there.. This is an awesome plugin

• f00b4rf00b4r Posts: 2,914Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you can get the info on installing Python (if it does not come as standard) then i will put this up on the wiki for other users. :)

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

Wiki: click here

How to report an issue: click here

Github (download the app): click here

Donations (Paypal): [US-$], [EUR]

edited June 2013 Accepted Answer

MOD edit: added updated info to main post.

f00b4r wrote on June 6 2013, 8:28 AM: »

If you can get the info on installing Python (if it does not come as standard) then i will put this up on the wiki for other users. :)

update above.

Cheers Don, I will put it up later :)

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

• KryspyKryspy Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When using this I get "Cannot Find Plex Server" error.   I assume this is due to the drives being spun down and the PlexConnect is timing out before the drives are online.  Exiting and pressing select again solves the issue.  Is there a setting where I can increase the timeout amount?

Kryspy

Server: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - H87I-PLUS, Intel® Core™ i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, UNRAID with Plex and PlexConnect in a Docker.

Media Players: Apple TV 3 with PlexConnect

edited June 2013
    don.alcombright wrote on June 7 2013, 3:33 AM: »

Updated directions, with python installation instructions:

For unRAID side, please follow below:
    1. Change your default port for unRAID to something other than 80, something like 8008.
        To do this go to your go file on your flash drive and replace /usr/local/sbin/emhttp & with /usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p XX & (where XX equals the port)

2. Download Python from here: Python 2.6.6

3. But your python file under /flash/extra/, on reboot any file here will be installed
    *you can also use the following: installpkg /pathtopackage/pythonpackageversion.tgz, however I would recommend a reboot since you changed your go file as well.

4. Download PlexConnect 0.1 to your destination of choice (below you will notice I used a cache drive).

5. go to puTTy and type in the following (you should be able to close puTTy after this):
    nohup python /mnt/cache/apps/plexconnect/PlexConnect.py &

I have made some slight edits to this:

1. updated download link to point to v0.1
    2. removed line about editing settings.py (not necessary and should no longer be edited - see advanced settings section of wiki if you really now need to edit anything)
    3. moved updated to guide to first post
    4. Put a link to the wiki this topic

Kryspy wrote on June 24 2013, 8:45 PM: »

When using this I get "Cannot Find Plex Server" error.   I assume this is due to the drives being spun down and the PlexConnect is timing out before the drives are online.  Exiting and pressing select again solves the issue.  Is there a setting where I can increase the timeout amount?

Kryspy

We are looking into this.

• otiskotisk Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

what about the ((ERROR:VAL)) thing? Is it possible to solve this for python 2.6?

I'm also using pyload and while plexconnect is working fine, I can't get pyload to work with python 2.7.

BTW I also get the timeout error from time to time when trying to open the detailed movie view.

Anyway, Plexconnect is amazing!

otiskuenzer wrote on June 28 2013, 1:26 PM: »

what about the ((ERROR:VAL)) thing? Is it possible to solve this for python 2.6?

I'm also using pyload and while plexconnect is working fine, I can't get pyload to work with python 2.7.

BTW I also get the timeout error from time to time when trying to open the detailed movie view.

Anyway, Plexconnect is amazing!

You know that you can have multiple installations of Python side by side, so you should be able to run both?

Do you have the link for installing Python 2.7.x on UnRAID?

Unfortunately unmenu won't install 2.6 if it detects that 2.7 is installed. Maybe I'll try it manually...

Here's the link: https://app.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com/p/Vq3zpArAKB

Found it here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15319.15

Cool, let us know the results and any steps you needed to make to get it installed :)

Don't get me wrong, that 2.7.3 package works like a charm for plexconnect if you simply put it into the extra folder.

The only thing I'm stuck at is running unmenu/pyloads 2.6.4 beside 2.7.3 or making pyload run with 2.7.3

Another thing I found out is that it's only possible to get plexconnect started by the go-script if the plexconnect folder is located at the flash drive.

I think the cache drive is not yet mounted, when the go script tries to start plexconnect.

Maybe you could add that to the guide :)

1. Download PlexConnect to your flash drive

2. Add following to your go-script: python /boot/plexconnect/PlexConnect.py &

3. Reboot

With this, plexconnect is automatically started on every boot.

• dv8eddv8ed Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    otiskuenzer wrote on June 28 2013, 10:55 PM: »

Another thing I found out is that it's only possible to get plexconnect started by the go-script if the plexconnect folder is located at the flash drive.

I think the cache drive is not yet mounted, when the go script tries to start plexconnect.

Maybe you could add that to the guide :)

1. Download PlexConnect to your flash drive

2. Add following to your go-script: python /boot/plexconnect/PlexConnect.py &

3. Reboot

With this, plexconnect is automatically started on every boot.

i'm no expert but does this run PlexConnect mostly in memory and not from flash drive? I don't want it to prematurely kill my flash drive.

[2012 LG 55" LED Passive Cinema 3D Smart TV 55LM7600 (Firmware: Latest) | Asus P8H77-I | Intel Core-i3 3220T (35W) | 16GB DDR3 | SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Fit | Fractal Node 304 | Samsung Pro 128GB SSD (cache) | 16TB | unRAID v6.2 64-bit | Dockers: Plex Plass DVR v1.2.0.2838-a68e2fe 64-bit | RPi3 - RasPlex v1.6.2]

Yeah It shouldn't be writing much to the flash drive, not enough for you to worry about anyway.

• PaincookiePaincookie Posts: 3Members ✭✭
    edited July 2013

Hi,

i try it like the first post, but it dosnt work and i have no Idea...

Because 1, iam a Linux Noob and 2, my english is not very good....

i do it point for point but on the last Point:

nohup python /mnt/cache/apps/plexconnect/PlexConnect.py &"

There is only a Message:

nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'

But there is all. the ATV nothing found...

i need Help :) 

edit: if i use my imac as Server, it works. But not with unraid....

• PaincookiePaincookie Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Has anybody an idea?

• RamsayRamsay Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have PlexConnect running in a screen session on my unRAID box.  Connect via telnet or ssh to your server and type the following:

screen

sudo python /path/to/PlexConnect/directory/PlexConnect.py

you can then detach from your screen session (Ctrl-a d), and then you can close your terminal window.