PlexConnect running on a QNAP NAS
Hi fellow Plexians!
I've managed to get PlexConnect running on a QNAP TS-459 Pro II (3.8.2) and ATV3 (5.2.1), so I thought to share a short install guide. I'm no hacker why my solutions might no be the most elegant ones, but they work, at least for me. Please provide your experiences.
- First, download and extract PlexConnect package (this is release 0.1)
- Then configure the DNS setting on your ATV, see below link, and follow steps 3-5, in the same guide, to edit the "Settings.py" file.
- Install and activate Python for QNAP. Version 2.7 is available in the QPKG Center.
- Check if your web server on the QNAP is running. If so, you might need to change the port 80 to something else or turn off the web server.
- Use SSH to log on as admin to the QNAP. Upload all the PlexConnect files to a preferable location. I placed my files here.
/root/Library/PlexConnect/Might be better locations?
- Then open up a Terminal window and connect to your QNAP. Locate your folder and execute PlexConnect.py.
cd /root/Library/PlexConnect ./PlexConnect.py
- PlexConnect should now be running and you will see the output in your terminal window. Hopefully without any errors. Mine worked at the first try so I haven't any hints for troubleshooting. On the downside, when you close the terminal you will terminate PlexConnect. But I managed in a simple way to get the PlexConnect autorun on my QNAP, explained in the next steps.
- In order to run PlexConnect on NAS startup you need to create a run script that is disguised as QPKG. I followed all steps in the "QPKG-based method" in the guide below.
- My "autorun.sh" script looks like this.
#!/bin/sh /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Python/bin/python /root/Library/PlexConnect/PlexConnect.py -d
- Remember to set the execute bit and then restart your NAS. Hopefully PlexConnect will automatically run when your NAS has booted up.