Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Webisodes

shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,638Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
edited April 29 in Plex Channel Plugins

I have written a new channel called Webisodes.  It is a channel to hold your favorite web series from different sources on the Internet. It will work with YouTube playlist and user uploads, Vimeo shows, Daily Motion shows, Live HLS feeds, and RSS Feeds (as long as there is an existing Plex URL service or there are links to the video files on the feed page). I have added two shows from each source by default, just to show you how the program works. It allows you delete shows and add a new show with just the URL address.

The channel is available through the Unsupported Appstore V2

Or it can be manually downloaded from the Github site at https://github.com/shopgirl284/Webisodes.bundle

PLEASE READ THE FULL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CORRECT URL FORMAT FOR ADDING SHOWS. I have included these instructions in the user entry instructions text file in the Contents folder and the README file on GitHub. I will also post these instructions in a separate post below.

UPDATES AND CHANGES

4/29/2017 - Added more error correction

11/13/2016 - Added Live Feed support, updated instructions and cleaned up structure

11/2/2016 - Fixed issue with YouTube images and saving individual entries

4/27/2016 - Added code for YouTube to better handle playlist items

1/28/2016 - Removed references to Websites that no longer exists or are otherwise defunct like Yahoo Screens and BlipTV

8/11/2015 - Updated support for YouTube Section. Since YouTube v2 API support for playlist no longer works, users, channels, and playlists are produced as a list of playlists that then show a list of the first two pages of videos results for each playlists.

Know Client Issues and Limitations:

Adding new items to this channel requires using a Plex player app that supports user input from Plex channels. The Plex player apps for Roku supports user input and the Remoku can be helpful in entering URLs

Plex/Web (aka Media Manager)  -

Because Plex/Web pulls from the cache and only updates once a day, unless you clear the cache of your web browser, changes you make to the Webisode channel will not show up for up to 24 hrs.

You can copy and paste the url address of a new show you would like to add into the search box at the top of the screen to add the channel. You must be within the directory for the type of show you would like to add. For example if you opened of the YouTube directory which shows all of your currently installed YouTube shows, then you can paste the url of the new feed you would like to add in the search box of that page. A dialog box will appear and tell you that the show has been added.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
See Log Files
Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

Comments

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,638Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    edited November 2016

WEBISODE CHANNEL INSTRUCTIONS:

This is a Plex channel that can pull your favorite webisodes from YouTube, Daily Motion, and Vimeo as well as RSS feeds for websites that already work with Plex and live m3u8 feeds.

It requires a specific structure of the shows URL. Please see the notes below.

With this channel you can add shows from any of the show types listed. I have also added a "Channel Tools" section with some additional tools that can be useful including clearing all shows, using the json files available in the Resources folder of this bundle to facilitate adding multiple shows, and special instructions for Roku and Plex Web users.

Live feeds must be HLS(m3u8) to work with this channel. Since live feeds do not access a website with metadata, once a live feed is added, you should go to the Edit Show option and add a title for the live feed.

RSS feeds works for any video or audio RSS feed if either the videos for that website works with the PlexIt bookmarklet or direct links to the video files (like .mp4) are listed in each entry of the feed. So you cannot enter the URL for an text based RSS Feed. And, for example, a video RSS Feed for your local news station will not work if the videos for that site do not work with the PlexIt bookmarklet or the feed include direct links to the video streams. Media streams listed in the XML code as enclosure or media:content URL are recognized by the channel code. The channel can support RSS feed that show a media file of type mp3, m4a, mp4, and flv. Examples of RSS feeds that have media files and provides direct access to the video files are http://thebrowncast.libsyn.com/rss and http://feeds.feedbur...arge?format=xml. The channel has a built in function that will check the media in the RSS feed. If there is no URL service (meaning it will not work with PlexIt) or the media stream links are not listed in the RSS feed, the entry will be listed as "No URL Service or Media Files for Entry,".

To add a new show to sections of the Webisode channel, other than the RSS feed, you just need to enter the name or id of the show. For example to add the show High Maintenance to the Vimeo section, you would just type in "High Maintenance". For the YouTube section,you would enter the playlist id, channel id, or user name. You must include the PL at the beginning of playlist and UC at the beginning of channel ids for them to be recognized. For a playlist from Youtube with a url of you would only need to enter "PL4F5986B34F73F112" or for a user account like http://www.youtube.com/user/NewarkTimesWeddings, you would just enter the user name NewarkTimesWeddings.

If you are having issues with a show not being recognized or returning as invalid using the method above, you can instead enter the full url address for the show. The format for the URL to be entered is given below and usually follows the URL address given in your browsers address bar:

YOUTUBE
    Examples:
    Playlist url:
    User upload url: https://www.youtube.com/user/NewarkTimesWeddings

VIMEO
    Example: http://vimeo.com/highmaintenance

RSS FEEDS
    Example: http://www.cwtv.com/feed/video/xml

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR ROKU USERS:/

A LINK TO THE REMOKU WEB BASED REMOTE CONTROL AT http://remoku.tv/ MAKES INPUT OF URLS VERY EASY. LINK IT TO THE ADDRESS OF YOUR ROKU MACHINE. MORE INFO IS AVAILABLE AT http://forums.roku.c...p?f=28&t=46852. ONCE YOU HAVE REMOKU RUNNING IN YOUR BROWSER, YOU CAN THEN CAN COPY AND PASTE THE URL ADDRESS INTO THE REMOKU DIRECTLY INTO THE ADD CHANNEL USER ENTRY.

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR Plex/Web USERS:

THE PLEX/WEB INTERFACE WILL ONLY UPDATE ONCE A DAY UNLESS YOU CLEAR YOUR CACHE. SO ANY SHOWS ADDED OR CHANGES MADE TO THIS CHANNEL WILL BE SEEN IMMEDIATELY IN OTHER CLIENTS BUT CAN TAKE 24 HOURS TO SHOW UP IN THE PLEX/WEB INTERFACE UNLESS THE CACHE IS CLEARED.

PLEX/WEB (AKA MEDIA MANAGER) DOES NOT PRODUCE THE LISTINGS FOR USER INPUT OPTIONS, SO IT WILL NOT SHOW THE ADD SHOW BUTTON OFFERED IN EACH SHOW SECTION OR LIST ALL THE EDIT OPTIONS OFFERED FOR EACH SHOW.

YOU CAN STILL USE THE INDIVIDUAL INPUT OPTIONS TO ADD NEW SHOWS AND ADD OR UPDATE CUSTOM TITLES, BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO SO BLINDLY USING THE SEARCH INPUT DIALOG BOX AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN WHILE IN THE SECTIONS OF THE CHANNEL THAT OFFER THAT USER INPUT.

TO ADD A NEW SHOW, ENTER THAT SHOW SECTION, SUCH AS YOUTUBE SHOWS OR VIMEO SHOWS AND ENTER THE NEW SHOW URL YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD IN THE SEARCH INPUT DIALOG BOX AT THE TOP OF THAT SCREEN PAGE AND HIT ENTER. TO ADD OR UPDATE A TITLE FOR A SHOW, GO TO THE EDIT SHOWS OPTION SECTION FOR A SHOW AND ENTER THE NEW SHOW URL YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD IN THE SEARCH INPUT DIALOG BOX AT THE TOP OF THAT SCREEN PAGE AND HIT ENTER. IN EACH CASE, AFTER YOU HAVE ENTERED THE INPUT, A DIALOG BOX WILL APPEAR INFORMING YOU THAT THE NEW SHOW WAS ADDED OR THE TITLE WAS UPDATED.

AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UPDATE OR ADD CUSTOM IMAGES THROUGH THE PLEX WEB INTERFACE BECAUSE PLEX WEB ONLY RECOGNIZES ONE USER INPUT OPTION IN EACH SECTION.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ADVANCED USERS:
    WARNING: PLEASE MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE EDITING THE JSON FILES. CHOOSING TO EDIT THE JSON FILE PROVIDED CAN CAUSE THOS JSON FILES TO NO LONGER BE RECOGNIZED BY THE WEBISODE CHANNEL.

For those who are familiar with the format of JSON files, a JSON files called data.json is included in the Resources folder of the channel to allow users to add multiple shows as well as customize the images and titles for each show. You only have to add a URL to the "url" field and provide a value of rss, youtube, vimeo, dailymotion or live for the "type" field for each JSON entry for the show to work in the channel. The channel is designed to pull the image and title metadata offered on the webpage for each URL. But since live feeds are not accessing a web page that contains metadata, you will need to add a "name" field or the entry will show up as a blank listing.

If you choose the JSON data file to update the shows for this channel there are a few things to keep in mind. YOU MUST ENTER A FULL AND ACCURATE URL IF USING THE JSON URL. All shows and their data are saved to a local dictionary file, not the JSON data file provided. The JSON data file uses the same format as the local dictionary to ensure entries are added correctly. So you can add the necessary data for the show to the JSON file but would then need to either choose the Replace Show list with JSON or Add Shows from the JSON to my Currrent List options in the Channel Tools section for any changes or additions you make to the JSON data file to show up in the Webisode channel.

If the show data in the channel becomes corrupt, it is best to delete all shows by using the "Clear All Shows" option in the Channel Tools section. But if issues arise with the channel and you must access or delete the dictionary file used by the channel, it is located in the /Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Data/com.plexapp.plugins.webisodes/ folder.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,638Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    edited June 2013

Attention Roku Users

Thanks to the wonderful Plex guys. The entry now works for Roku in the Plex Test channel!! All you have to do is update and use your Plex Test channel on the Roku. It should be version 2.6.5 now. Go to Preferences and it will be in the upper right hand corner. And the channel will allow direct input of URLs with the Roku.

Give me a little bit and I will clean the code up some and take away any of the extras no longer needed and release a new version that will hopefully be a little faster in the loading.

But it works as is now. Just open the Add Channel section, use your Remoku to cut and paste the URL into the Add Channel user entry, and choose done.

See Log Files

• ValerieAnne84ValerieAnne84 Posts: 37Members ✭✭
    edited June 2013

This seems pretty cool. For some reason my Plex Test channel won't update to 2.6.5 from 2.6.4 though (I've used channel updater as well as unplugged/plugged back in). I can't wait to try this when it finally updates though :D I'm looking forward to the ability to play youtube playlists (I love Plex It, but it's time consuming when you watch a soap-opera lol). 

all-fanart.jpg

Try going to the Roku channel store and adding a new channel, any new channel. Usually adding a channel triggers your Roku to update all your existing channels.

See Log Files

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,561Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

To get PlexTest, I had to go to Roku Settings - System update - check for update...once it did that, it checked for updated channels too, and got PlexTest.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.1
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • plexcloud.tvplexcloud.tv Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2013

Great plugin!

Playback appears to fail in two most recent versions of PHT. I verified that playback did succeed when using the current version of PMC. Here is log output for PHT:

edited June 2013

I got it to show up finally, I didn't do anything different, just left the roku for a couple days (was away from my house) and came back and it was showing up. I added the two shows I watch on Hulu (AMC and OLTL). I am getting a 'Video Unavailable' message now when I try to watch any of the shows on Hulu (including Battleground, etc). It won't retrieve the videos. Youtube and the others are working fine. Just thought I'd let you know. Good plug-in though. :)

Edit: Just noticed my PlexTest Plug-In/Channel is still showing up as 2.6.4, I've unplugged the system, plugged it in, went to the 'settings' and force checked for updates and keep getting told everything is up to date. 

all-fanart.jpg

Jwest, what version of PHT are you using? I do not use PHT, but was told that PHT release 0.9.10.0 is known to have some issues with channels, where PHT 0.9.9.x builds, should work with channels. If you are using an 0.9.9.x version, try pasting the log you have using http://pastebin.com/. The text version above just jumbled all the lines together, so it was hard to read where the issues and errors were.

ValerieAnne84, there is an issue with the Hulu services that needs to fixed that is causing the videos not to play. I have noted it on the first post under current issues. I will let you know when that issue is resolved. But I am not sure that the Hulu section will work for any shows except Hulu original shows like Battleground or the Booth at the end. Since there is no login, that section is only designed to pick up shows on Hulu's website that you can access without logging in.

See Log Files

shopgirl284, sorry about that. I didn't see that it wouldn't work because of the webkit (I noticed the part about original shows only). Both shows I added are Hulu Only/Exclusive shows, which is why I tested with the ones you already had added (Battleground/Booth at The End) as well. Thanks for making me notice the webkit problem. :)

all-fanart.jpg

edited June 2013
    shopgirl284 wrote on June 24 2013, 7:25 PM: »

Jwest, what version of PHT are you using? I do not use PHT, but was told that PHT release 0.9.10.0 is known to have some issues with channels, where PHT 0.9.9.x builds, should work with channels. If you are using an 0.9.9.x version, try pasting the log you have using http://pastebin.com/. The text version above just jumbled all the lines together, so it was hard to read where the issues and errors were.

ValerieAnne84, there is an issue with the Hulu services that needs to fixed that is causing the videos not to play. I have noted it on the first post under current issues. I will let you know when that issue is resolved. But I am not sure that the Hulu section will work for any shows except Hulu original shows like Battleground or the Booth at the end. Since there is no login, that section is only designed to pick up shows on Hulu's website that you can access without logging in.

greetings shopgirl. I didn't expect the log file to get so malformed like that, but i have pasted it here http://pastebin.com/pgLg1gYv

The aforementioned log is from PHT 9.9.7. I tested the plugin on 9.9.X & 9.10 and they both fail to play the stream. I haven't noticed any issues (personally) with channels in PHT, this one works as it should sans opening the video stream. It fetches the web videos, but simply fails to initiate playback.

ValerieAnne84, no problem. I will let everyone know when the Hulu backend is fixed.

Jwest, thanks for the updated log. I do not have access to PHT, but I will try to see if there is something that can help.

Which log is this? I am not familiar or use PHT, but it looks like it is your main PMS log. The plugin logs are usually more helpful at determining an issue with a particular channel.  Can you send me your com.plexapp.plugins.webisodes.log? The com.plexapp.system.log may be helpful too.

Looking at the log you attached, it appears your PHT is having issues with the YouTube channel also.  The code I use in mine for YouTube videos, is  a direct copy of the YouTube video processor, so that would make sense if you are having trouble with my YouTube section.

And just to verify the issue you are having, you get errors just when you actually try to play a video? All the menus are producing fine? You see all of the episodes for a show when you choose them? You just get server errors when you choose to play a video? And is this true with all sections of the Webisode channel or is this just with the YouTube section?

See Log Files

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,662Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    shopgirl284 wrote on June 25 2013, 6:18 PM: »

Looking at the log you attached, it appears your PHT is having issues with the YouTube channel also.

I've just pushed out a fix/update for the YouTube URL Service that should fix video playback for a lot (if not all) videos.

sander1 wrote on June 25 2013, 11:21 PM: »

I've just pushed out a fix/update for the YouTube URL Service that should fix video playback for a lot (if not all) videos.

CK, would I have to build PHT from source to take advantage of this?

shopgirl284 wrote on June 25 2013, 6:18 PM: »

ValerieAnne84, no problem. I will let everyone know when the Hulu backend is fixed.

Jwest, thanks for the updated log. I do not have access to PHT, but I will try to see if there is something that can help.

Which log is this? I am not familiar or use PHT, but it looks like it is your main PMS log. The plugin logs are usually more helpful at determining an issue with a particular channel.  Can you send me your com.plexapp.plugins.webisodes.log? The com.plexapp.system.log may be helpful too.

Looking at the log you attached, it appears your PHT is having issues with the YouTube channel also.  The code I use in mine for YouTube videos, is  a direct copy of the YouTube video processor, so that would make sense if you are having trouble with my YouTube section.

And just to verify the issue you are having, you get errors just when you actually try to play a video? All the menus are producing fine? You see all of the episodes for a show when you choose them? You just get server errors when you choose to play a video? And is this true with all sections of the Webisode channel or is this just with the YouTube section?

I'm waiting on the reply from CK, but just for consistencies sake:

That was my PHT log, not PMS. I'll attach the plugin log when my s/o makes it back home.

The problem occurs with just opening the actual requested stream from my understanding of  the log file. The menus are fine, other webisodes from yahoo and such play fine, and I get a correct & complete listing for any playlist I add to your channel; The video itself just doesn't begin playing.

Jwest, thanks for the specifics of your problem with the Webisode channel. That sounds like it could be an issue with the URL service, so hopefully, the YouTube update Sanders mentioned will fix your issues.

And again, I do not use PHT, so I do not know much about it. But the updates Sanders mentions are part of the Plex Media Server and should automatically download to your PMS machine, though you may have to restart PMS for them to take effect.

Let me know if the update fixes the issue.

See Log Files

shopgirl284 wrote on June 26 2013, 1:57 AM: »

Jwest, thanks for the specifics of your problem with the Webisode channel. That sounds like it could be an issue with the URL service, so hopefully, the YouTube update Sanders mentioned will fix your issues.

And again, I do not use PHT, so I do not know much about it. But the updates Sanders mentions are part of the Plex Media Server and should automatically download to your PMS machine, though you may have to restart PMS for them to take effect.

Let me know if the update fixes the issue.

I restarted PMS after reading your post, but no luck. Here's the logs for my most recent attempt to playback a youtube webisode in PHT 9.10

webisodes plugin: http://pastebin.com/ZCNbiC41

PHT: http://pastebin.com/kEj79tfx

PMS: http://pastebin.com/EXLg8gha

I looked at the logs and some other things and you're client is having issues with the YouTube service. My channel just pulls from the existing YouTube URL service. I even checked to make sure there were no issues with the URL that my channel sends to the service and there isn't. So there is nothing I can do for you on my end.

I was told that there are still many issues with the latest release of PHT. So, with the latest YouTube update, reverting back to the PHT 9.9.7 might help your issues. Otherwise, I would go to the PHT forums and see if you can find an answer there about YouTube not working for you on PHT.

See Log Files

edited December 2013

I did some edits on the code. Mainly cleaning up the code to hopefully make it a little faster. I also fixed a couple issues related to pulling icons. I have updated the first post to reflect the latest version and date. Enjoy.

BTW, for Roku users, I just figured this out as well. As a Roku user, I am bad to hit the Home button when I exit a channel which also exits you immediately from Plex. Sometimes I find it faster to just reenter Plex again than hitting the back button to get back to the main Plex screen. But if you add or delete channels in Webisodes, the exit of the Webisodes channel is when those changes are saved locally on your system. So you have to exit out of the Webisodes channel normally by hitting the back button to the main Plex screen for any changes to be saved. I have lost a few changes by hitting the home button on my Roku remote instead of backing out of the channel normally.

Disregard statement above. Roku users who use the Home button to exit the channel will no longer have issues with changes being saved.

See Log Files

• Bill33021Bill33021 Posts: 58Members ✭✭

I have a Plex Server running on Win7 with a Verizon Actiontec router and Roku 3 box. I have a French channel app that has all 5 French TV channels. I am using a European DNS address to get the same French TV shows with my browser and avoid geoblocking. This solution does not allow the Plex channel to access the French TV shows through the app. Will your channel allow me to link to individual French TV shows and play them through my Roku box?

Please help.

I am a little confused by your question. These French TV shows you are trying to add to the Webisode channel, are they one of the show types that is supported by the Webisode channel? Meaning they need to be either shows from Hulu, Yahoo, BlipTV, Vimeo, YouTube or they need to be RSS feeds.

I am going to assume with my response that you are trying to add these shows through the RSS Feed section. If you are accessing them through one of the other types, please clarify and let me know.

If these videos are an RSS feed, as noted in the instructions, if the URLs you add are of the type RSS feed, there must be an existing Plex URL service for the site hosting the videos in that feed.  I included a test to the channel to make sure there is an existing Plex URL service for the videos of any RSS feed you add. If you add an RSS feed that does not have a Plex URL service, when you open that feed in the Webisode channel, the videos will show up as icons that say "NO URL Service for Video." This tells you that the RSS Feed you entered does not have a Plex URL service and therefore will not work with this channel.

Another way to make sure a URL service exists for a video and therefore will work in this channel is to pull the feed up in your web browser and start playing one of the videos then hit the "Plex It!" button. If a video is found and saved to your queue, then there is a Plex URL service for that video and the RSS feed will work with the Webisode channel.

And just to clarify for those who may wonder why a Plex URL service is necessary. This channel, like all channels, does not actually make the videos from a website play on your TV (or other device). Channels just sets up a nice pretty format and structure to make the videos on a website easy to navigate. The channel then sends the info about those videos to a URL service located in the Plex Services.bundle that makes those videos play on your screen.

See Log Files