If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Where does Plex for Android store its synced media files by default

willsmithorgwillsmithorg Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 2013 in Android (mobile)

Where does Plex for Android store its synchronized media files? 

I have lots of syned Plex video files on my Android tablet that I'd like to share with somebody by connecting my tablet to their computer and dragging them out.

I'm assuming for the moment that they are in a compatible format like .mp4.

Where do I find them on my tablet?  I can choose the location for media files in the settings, but I left it at 'default'.  If I try to change it, it warns me it will delete all my existing media.  I'm away from home for some days and my home has limited bandwidth so I don't want to choose a new folder and re-download everything.

Best Answer

• IanDBirdIanDBird Plex Employee Posts: 2,295Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner...

The default sync location is a folder within the applications folder. This is not accessible unless you have rooted the device. It's not a particularly user-friendly folder structure, but everything is under: "/data/data/com.plexapp.plex/app_sync"

Ian

Answers

• IanDBirdIanDBird Plex Employee Posts: 2,295Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner...

The default sync location is a folder within the applications folder. This is not accessible unless you have rooted the device. It's not a particularly user-friendly folder structure, but everything is under: "/data/data/com.plexapp.plex/app_sync"

Ian

• orangatangz_dadorangatangz_dad Posts: 14Members

I have set Plex to store synced files on the SD card (actually says external storage in settings) but still can't see them, do I have to root in order to see them?

• light487light487 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there a reason behind making this root only accessible? I don't mind rooting as such but I'd rather not as I like the phone as it is.. be nice if things were a little more open.

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,873Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    light487 wrote on September 30 2014, 10:28 AM: »

Is there a reason behind making this root only accessible? I don't mind rooting as such but I'd rather not as I like the phone as it is.. be nice if things were a little more open.

It was a change in where Android OS allows applications to save things.

• jmbaconiijmbaconii Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I would like to be able to erase synced content after listened/watched in order to keep mobile device storage freed up. Is there anyway Plex could put an erase downloaded content once clicked on in the offline mode?
  • DarkSliceDarkSlice Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, also would like to remove and access these files

• Dustydog42Dustydog42 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There's no need for this. One could easily store them to Android\com.plexapp.android\files - you know that gets default permissions. People can access that easily, and delete data if app is deleted isn't an issue. I was rather shocked not to see them there. Better yet, you could simply allow people to choose a download folder on compatible phones. Or update things to allow giving permission for folder access on Lollipop, or simply use Marshmallow permissions. Make sure to have a provision for those with adopted storage under Marshamallow. This is lazy programming. Please allow access to the blasted folder! I access almost all my data via a file manager rather than via application. Was hoping this was a viable solution for my wife (I'd just copy the thing - go Smart Audiobook Reader!), but having an easy sync solution for her that would allow her to use either streamed PLEX or sync then the above app would be invaluable. I'm a pass holder. (Can't root my phone due to ****-retentive carrier.)

• GinjutsuGinjutsu Posts: 1Validating Unconfirmed Email

Plex Pass user here chiming in. Just upgraded today to test everything out, and to say the least, I'm disappointed. Really wish we could access the folder or choose the desired sync location. I assumed "sync" meant that the app would just grab the files I wanted and place them into a folder of my choosing on my phone/android device/whatever, unmodified and with no encryption. Sad to see that's not the case.

• zippyloan66@gmail.comzippyloan66@gmail.com Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I want my REFUNDFOR PURCHASING AN APP. THAT ISN'T EVEN COMPATIBLE WITH MY PHONE!!!

• Imbaker1234Imbaker1234 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@zippyloan66@gmail.com said:
    I want my REFUNDFOR PURCHASING AN APP. THAT ISN'T EVEN COMPATIBLE WITH MY PHONE!!!

This is a great way to get what you want. Use all caps. Demand things like a whiny child. Greeeeeat.

You could have done some research. Its not their fault that you can't go to the trouble of running a quick google search.

• paulhargreavespaulhargreaves Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Another plexpass user, would like to be able to place then in the /sdcard folder so that I can then use Plex to download, and on the odd occasion when I'm using Pixel Daydream, use a different app to play them.

Right now I'm having to sync some via Plex, some via other means, and it's a pain.

• clobber88clobber88 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plexpass user here - sync'd music does not show up in other music apps. It really should. I think this is because of where the files are being stored

• paullittlefieldpaullittlefield Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Pass user here... Yes, I would like to be able to sync Music to my phone from my Server, and then play it in a different Android app like PlayerPro... because I like to Scrobble to last.fm and Tweet what I am listening to. This would be an excellent feature. Please make it so that Synced music files are found by other Android music apps. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Ubuntu Server 16.04.3 LTS
    Quad Core 4.3Ghz CPU with 16Gb RAM
    Plex Media Server 1.9.5.4339
    Plex for Android 6.6.0.2384
    Samsung UE49KU6400 with Plex 3.0.10

• irishpadresirishpadres Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for getting access to the storage folder. It seems to be possible since I can view the offline m4a files Amazon Music stores in the Android app directory.

• ftsharkftshark Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well when is this going to happen, we're all waiting in anger...

• the.kuhle@gmail.comthe.kuhle@gmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would like this as well. At least for music. I need to be able to play my music via player pro on my android device.

• jason0x21jason0x21 Posts: 2Members Plex Pass

I'd like this as well. It's daft that the app simply doesn't sync music to the default Android "Music" folder, where any player could access it. You've already gotten our money for the app and the syncing ability, what exactly are you protecting here?

• moledigmoledig Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

(me too) I have tried to sync twice now and keep getting the 99% error and I can't play local content.
    This feature was the main reason I paid for PLEX.

• moledigmoledig Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Oh and..... "PLEX: High battery usage detected!" "PLEX HAS CONSUMED 11% OF YOUR BATTERY IN THE LAST HALF HOUR. That is just in the background not being used or syncing.

• jsk01jsk01 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add another vote for changing the location to a more user friendly one. I can't share pictures since IM is not an option. Previously I would save and find the image in my gallery. This is a fairly recent change for the save location.