Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FreeBSD port

KalleDKKalleDK Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited July 2015 in FreeBSD

Port added to the port tree

http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver/

I've been creating a port to easier install the server.

https://github.com/KalleDK/plexmediaserver_port

Please report suggestions and/or bugs with the port.

This is not problems with the server itself, only the port. So install, deinstall and stuff that doesn't work due to the port.

Tagged:

Comments

• maineacmaineac Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass

I've pinned this, so that it will stay near the top and people will find it easier.  Hopefully, KalleDK will use this thread to keep us all updated with any status changes to the port.  Thanks for your efforts KalleDK!  :)

• KalleDKKalleDK Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

At the moment we are waiting for the UID and GID to be approved

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=180249

And then I might need to do some redesign to the port to make it "cleaner"

• fldsflds Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    KalleDK wrote on July 4 2013, 8:34 PM: »

At the moment we are waiting for the UID and GID to be approved

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=180249

And then I might need to do some redesign to the port to make it "cleaner"

I've taken the PR. We can deal with adding the user once you submit the PR for the port. UIDs are usually assigned when the port is committed.

However one thing I'm not sure about, yet. The preview is still PlexPass only, so I'm not sure if we can or should put it in the ports tree as that would make it available to everyone. The same is actually true for the github project I guess.

edited July 2013

Well you don't actually need PlexPass to install the port and use it (afaik).. But Elan should have greenligthed to make it public.

I'll just have to finish the port then. I would be pleased if you would look through it and comment on it (the user part needs ofcourse to be rewritten to use the reserved UID and GID)

/Kalle

• fldsflds Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/users-and-groups.html for adding users and groups.

I'll try to look at it more over the weekend.

edited July 2013
    flds wrote on July 4 2013, 10:07 PM: »

Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/users-and-groups.html for adding users and groups.

I'll try to look at it more over the weekend.

Yes I know that is the way I should do it, but then the port wouldn't work until I got the UID and GID.. So the way I handle users atm is only a workaround.

(Hence the reason I asked for the UID and GID before hand, so I could test the port with the correct settings)

And thanks for the quick look

• feldfeld Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2013

Was going to say I'd take the PR and help get this committed but looks like others have beaten me to it.

More FreeBSD devs here than expected!

KalleDK wrote on July 5 2013, 12:02 PM: »

Yes I know that is the way I should do it, but then the port wouldn't work until I got the UID and GID.. So the way I handle users atm is only a workaround.

(Hence the reason I asked for the UID and GID before hand, so I could test the port with the correct settings)

And thanks for the quick look

You might want to register an account on redports.org if you like doing FreeBSD port building. You can provide your own copy of UIDs and GIDs file and help test new ports like this. It will build on all supported releases and does several QA checks.

KalleDK,

Port is on the right track but has some issues -- incoming github pull requests

Ya.. I can see you got it to worlk with deamon.. I couldn't do that :P The only thing still "missing" is the logs is put in /var/plex....something... and I feel (yes subjective) that it should be the same folder as the suppor_path as 90% of the logs resides there.. son instead of have two log dirs. Just have one.

edited July 2013

The problem with putting it in ${DATADIR} or in Plex world, SUPPORT_PATH, is the increased complexity. You see, the Library/ dir that gets created with your plugins and some other logs you're speaking of are created in the home directory of the user who launched it. 

I don't know how FreeNAS, pfSense or any other FreeBSD-based appliance works, but if they choose to have their packages built and installed into something other than /usr/local Plex will break because we've hardcoded it; the HOME directory won't exist. If we could put ${PREFIX} or ${DATADIR} in the home directory path in the UIDs file of the ports tree it might work, but there are no other existing examples like that. Other examples just use /var because you can't change /var's location on a FreeBSD-derivative without breaking compatibility.

Hope this makes sense, and keep up the good work! I'm excited to see this appear in the ports tree.

Kalle,

I worked around it by simply exporting HOME to be ${DATADIR}/plexdata/Plex Media Server/. This puts a Library/Logs directory in there. I think that should cover your concerns well enough until we are given a way to configure where those logs go.

• tommywrighttommywright Posts: 5Members

I bought a Plex Pass just to get this running on my nas4free.  I'm trying to follow the instructions.  I've SSHed into my nas4free and and gave it the commands in the terminal all the way up to "make WITH_USER=YES install" which the terminal says "make: Command not found."  I'm in the following directory...

/root/plexmediaserver_port-1.4

From uname -a...

FreeBSD nas4free.local 9.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p3 #0 r251670M: Thu Jun 13 01:59:24 CEST 2013     root@dev.nas4free.org:/usr/obj/nas4free/usr/src/sys/NAS4FREE-amd64  amd64

What am I doing wrong here?  What step am I missing?  Is there some package I need to inatall that give me "make"?

Any help would be appreciated. 

I wish I knew it was going to be this difficult before purchasing the Plex Pass.. I think I just threw away 4 bucks.  :(

tommywright wrote on July 14 2013, 6:29 AM: »

I wish I knew it was going to be this difficult before purchasing the Plex Pass.. I think I just threw away 4 bucks.  :(

People are working to make it easier for you :P Just sit tight. When the FreeBSD port is official it should (tm) be easier to make a package for FreeNAS and Nas4Free

Excellent.. thanks.  I'll be waiting.  I have a "nice" setup now but I think Plex would be great.

• runelindrunelind Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Kind of a silly question I guess, but where is the Library stored in this port?  I am wanting to migrate the library from my Linux PMS to FreeBSD to test functionality, but not sure where to copy the files to.

Thanks for your efforts so far!

by default, the library information is located under /usr/local/lib/plexdata/Plex Media Server

thelambentonion wrote on July 19 2013, 1:00 PM: »

I feel like I opened up a can of works with this one; this thread specifically addresses KalleDK's (wonderful) FreeBSD port of Plex (which works flawlessly on the vanilla FreeBSD installs that I've tested). All issues specifically regarding Plex on FreeNAS are probably out of the scope of this thread. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I just feel bad populating this thread with unrelated compatibility issues.

Sorry about this, I logged into my old account.

It does take things a little off-topic here, and it appears that the issues are specific to FreeNAS rather than FreeBSD . . . so . . . I am moving the FreeNAS related posts to a new thread.  I encourage everyone interested to carry on the discussion there, and hopefully anyone new coming in will be able to find commiserate souls more easily.

The version of the port people are using is missing lots of work that Kalle and I have already put in (unless you really are pulling from git, not the 1.4 tarball he tagged)

Please be patient -- we're waiting on the build infrastructure so we can get some newer FreeBSD builds as a couple things we need to make this as smooth as possible are not available in the current beta release. It's coming -- don't worry! :)