Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Crunchyroll Plugin

mattrkmattrk Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited June 2015 in Plex Channel Plugins
About
This plugin provides access to the Anime, and Pop Drama video content available at Crunchyroll.com in superb HD up to 1080p quality. This plugin requires the user to have a premium crunchyroll.com membership. You can sign up for a free 14-day trial by clicking here. Free membership accounts will not work. This plugin will only allow you to access content you pay for. 

While this plugin is considered stable, there will always be bugs. Please submit bugs to Github issue tracker or in this thread. I would also love to hear feedback and/or suggestions. 

Requirements
This plugin requires a premium Crunchyroll.com account. When you get the plugin installed you will need to enter your username and password into the preferences section before you will be able to use it. 

Supported Plex Media Server:

Supported Plex Clients:

• Plex Home Theater
  • Roku
  • AppleTV
  • Windows 8
  • iOS, Android, & Windows Phone
  • Plex Web in Safari on Mac OSX (Firefox & Chrome do not work, see FAQ for more info)

Installation

The easiest way to install and use this plugin is by using the UnSupportAppStore. You can find instructions on how to use and install the UnSupportAppStore here. It will also ensures that the plugin stays up to date with the latest changes and bug fixes. The Unsupported App Store is temporarily offline. Use the manual install method below for now.

If you would rather install the app manually, you can follow these instructions:

1. Download the latest version of the plugin from here.

2. Unzip the content into the PMS plugins directory under your user account.
    • Windows 7, Vista, or Server 2008: C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins
    • Windows XP, Server 2003, or Home Server: C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins
    • Mac/Linux: ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
  3. Rename the unzipped folder from "Crunchyroll.bundle-vx.x.x" to "Crunchyroll.bundle"

4. Restart PMS

Known Issues

• Some of the Pop videos don't play correctly. This is due to the way Crunchyroll formats those URLs. They are not standardized and as such it is hard to ensure the plugin is able to handle these properly. Fortunately this is not an issue for Anime or Drama videos.

• Watching an episode using this app does not mark it as "watched" in Plex or in the Crunchyroll queue. This is a limitation of the Plex Media Server API and there are no viable workarounds available. Hopefully Plex will update the API at some point so I can resolve this issue.

Frequently Asked Questions

• Q: I selected 1080P or 720P but the video is played in a lower resolution

A: Not all content on Crunchyroll has HD quality videos available. This plugin will try to play content at the resolution you select. However, if a particular resolution is not available, it will play the next highest resolution available. This may also occur shortly after Crunchyroll releases a new video. Sometimes it takes Crunchyroll longer than expected to encode the HD quality videos. During this period of time the plugin only has access to the lower quality streams that have already been encoded. If this is the case, check back later and the HD quality video should be available. 

• Q: How do I hide mature content?

A: You can choose what type of content to show by changing the Mature Content Filter setting on the Crunchyroll website. Go to your Account Settings and click on Video Preferences on the left side. Select the desired option from the Mature Content Filter drop down box. You should restart Plex Media Server after you've made this change.

• Q: I get a "Cannot load M3U8: crossdomain access denied" error when trying to use this plugin on Plex Web.

A: Using this plugin on Plex Web does not "officially" work in any browser but Safari on a Mac OSX. However, some users have had success by un-checking the "Direct Play" box in the Plex Web settings. (Settings > Web > Player > Show Advanced > un-check Direct Play checkbox) 

• Q: How do I change the subtitle language?

A: You can configure this on the Crunchyroll website. Go to your Account Settings and click on Video Preferences on the left side. Then select the desired language from the "Default Language" drop down box. This will cause all titles, descriptions, and subtitles to be displayed in that language. You should restart Plex Media Server after you've made this change. 

Screenshots

crunchyroll_ss1.PNG

crunchyroll_ss2.PNG

crunchyroll_ss3.PNG

Changes

v2.2.0

• The plugin will now respect the language preference you set on the CR website. (Account Settings > Video Preferences > Default Language) All titles, descriptions, and subtitles will be shown in the selected language.
  • Updated the README.md with several new FAQs

v2.1.5

• Fixed an issue introduced by a recent CR update.

v2.1.4

• Fixed a bug that prevented all-access members from authenticating as premium users.

v2.1.3

• Fixed bug from previous release preventing single season shows from displaying properly

v2.1.2:

• Fixed bug preventing some shows from displaying seasons properly
  • Added episode counts to each season

v2.1.1:

• Added a countdown to episode release to upcoming episode descriptions.
  • Changed the object type of upcoming episodes to play nice with Plex Home Theater.
v2.1.0:
  • Added code to the URL Service to allow Plex/Web, Roku, Windows 8, iOS, & many other Plex clients to use the plugin.
  • Added ClientPlatformExclusions for Chrome & Firefox
  • Added details to the README.md as to clarify which Plex clients are supported.

v2.0.2:
  • Added background art throughout the plugin.
  • Changed the search function to only return results that match the user's Crunchyroll premium membership type. This will keep users from getting search results for media they can't access.

v2.0.1:
  • Updated the URL service pattern match regex so that it correctly matches URLs being passed by the API.

v2.0.0:
  • Major release
  • The plugin now uses HLS streams instead of webkit based video
  • Free account support has been removed. The plugin now requires a premium membership.
  • The plugin will only show you content for which you pay. (E.g. Anime members will not be able to see Drama content.)

v1.2.2:
  • Fixed a bug with the login code that caused problems when trying to resume an invalid session

v1.2.1:
  • Aspect ratio and video frame rate attributes are now displayed properly

v1.2.0:
  • Added search functionality
  • Added null/zero result return handling
  • Updated the icon for the My Queue and History sections
  • Updated the preferences file label for quality to Video Quality for clarity

v1.1.0:
  • Added more metadata to each video
  • Added Seasons & Genres filter under each of the primary sections
  • Added a Pop section to the main menu
  • Fixed a small bug regarding datetimes for free users

v1.0.0:
  • Initial release

Comments

• kyzzylekyzzyle Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, this seems like a cool & useful plugin, thanks for creating it. I'm using version 2.1.4 on Win7 64-bit (client) from a PMS on Win7 64-bit with 100 Mbps LAN. Whenever I play a CR video I get bad artifacting on the video (screenshot below). Do you have any idea what's happening or how I can fix it? Thanks!

1hnN2U3l.png

• kyzzylekyzzyle Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Solved. I disabled DXVA and it works fine now. Great plugin, thanks!

• mattrkmattrk Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    0zm0diar wrote on October 31 2013, 1:31 AM: »

Solved. I disabled DXVA and it works fine now. Great plugin, thanks!

Good to know. Sorry i didn't respond sooner. I've been really busy at work and haven't had a lot of free time. Glad you enjoy the plugin. 

• steveonjavasteveonjava Posts: 1Members

I am using this plug-in on a Linux NAS (synology DS411slim) and it works great.  Code is very clean too! (was doing a little experimental hacking)

• xiadenxiaden Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

I'm pretty sure this is broken.

I don't really want to pull the logs out unless needed, but i'm getting a "cannot load m3u8, crossdomain access is denied" error.  the device allows playback from everything else, so i don't know if crunchyroll changed how they do things.

Happy holidays btw.

• mondo3dmondo3d Posts: 2Members
    edited December 2013
    xiaden wrote on December 24 2013, 6:50 PM: »

I'm pretty sure this is broken.

I don't really want to pull the logs out unless needed, but i'm getting a "cannot load m3u8, crossdomain access is denied" error.  the device allows playback from everything else, so i don't know if crunchyroll changed how they do things.

Happy holidays btw.

hey,

just logged in to say that it's working for me. I had the same error then I unchecked "Require authentication on local networks" in the myPlex section of the server settings .

happy holidays :)

• xiadenxiaden Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

Well, color me confused then.  I've never required authentication on local, so that option isn't whats giving me this headache. (toggled it on then off just to make sure though)

Just to keep things quick, I'm running PMS on a synology rig (intel processor, PMS 0.9.8.18).  Just browsing through the logs with debug turned on, i don't see a single warning about anything besides slow loads.

EDIT:  changed the version, I copied off of my DSM package manager.... which apparently doesn't update version numbers till reboot.

• mondo3dmondo3d Posts: 2Members
    xiaden wrote on December 24 2013, 10:40 PM: »

Well, color me confused then.  I've never required authentication on local, so that option isn't whats giving me this headache. (toggled it on then off just to make sure though)

Just to keep things quick, I'm running PMS on a synology rig (intel processor, PMS 0.9.8.18).  Just browsing through the logs with debug turned on, i don't see a single warning about anything besides slow loads.

EDIT:  changed the version, I copied off of my DSM package manager.... which apparently doesn't update version numbers till reboot.

I don't know anything about the synology, so I can't help you there. Have you tried turning Direct Play off on the (web)player? I think that must've been what fixed it instead of what I said earlier since I started getting the error on my PC (through web player) which I never had happen via my android tablet. When I toggle this on and off I get the m3u8 error and can reproduce it, so I'm thinking that might be the same problem with your synology (?).  I don't know if that's the fix for you but I'm just throwing that out there in hopes it leads to a solution.  

At any rate, I can get CR to play via PC, nook hd+ (android tablet) and my ipad through plex channels. I'm sorry for the late response and confusion I probably caused.

Apologies again,

• km73ebkm73eb Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2014
    mondo3d wrote on December 27 2013, 10:18 PM: »

I don't know anything about the synology, so I can't help you there. Have you tried turning Direct Play off on the (web)player? I think that must've been what fixed it instead of what I said earlier since I started getting the error on my PC (through web player) which I never had happen via my android tablet. When I toggle this on and off I get the m3u8 error and can reproduce it, so I'm thinking that might be the same problem with your synology (?).  I don't know if that's the fix for you but I'm just throwing that out there in hopes it leads to a solution.  

At any rate, I can get CR to play via PC, nook hd+ (android tablet) and my ipad through plex channels. I'm sorry for the late response and confusion I probably caused.

Apologies again,

Thanks bro! Turning off direct play solved the issue with "cannot load m3u8, crossdomain access is denied" error for me. At least on Plex Home Theater on Windows. Now I have an infinite load screen when I try to play anything from Crunchy Roll on my Samsung TV.

• zapotahzapotah Posts: 2Members

Reporting on my somewhat thorough experimentation on the plugin on several important platforms:

Android: Plugin works with Plex/Web on Firefox/Chrome on Android 4.2.2 and plex for android on same platform.

Windows: No luck on Plex/Web on any browser, suspected poor handling of crossdomain.xml on plugin part with with flash since android 4.2.2 does not do flash and most certainly uses jwplayer html5 or such instead of flash player to playback on browser. Works with plex media center.

I might post more results as I come across them, especially on linux platforms, but that is currently not possible due to IRL reasons.

Please look into crossdomain.xml handling of flash player playing streams from a third party location in the browser, instead of the url origin.

All, sorry for the long delay. Between the recent holidays and work I haven't had much time to work on this project. I'm going to try and get caught up on this in the next few days. 

xiaden wrote on December 24 2013, 10:40 PM: »

Xiaden, are you still having trouble? If you've tried Km73eb' suggestion of turning off direct play and that didn't' resolve your problem i'd be happy to take a look at your logs. Zip them up and send them to me via PM. Keep in mind that the only browser Plex/Web supports is Safari on OSX and mobile browsers like Chrome/Firefox on Android. If you're trying to play these on Windows you won't be able to. This is a limitation of Plex/Web. 

zapotah wrote on January 4 2014, 1:13 AM: »

Reporting on my somewhat thorough experimentation on the plugin on several important platforms:

Android: Plugin works with Plex/Web on Firefox/Chrome on Android 4.2.2 and plex for android on same platform.

Windows: No luck on Plex/Web on any browser, suspected poor handling of crossdomain.xml on plugin part with with flash since android 4.2.2 does not do flash and most certainly uses jwplayer html5 or such instead of flash player to playback on browser. Works with plex media center.

I might post more results as I come across them, especially on linux platforms, but that is currently not possible due to IRL reasons.

Please look into crossdomain.xml handling of flash player playing streams from a third party location in the browser, instead of the url origin.

Thanks for the information. I will update my post with your findings. I did know that my plugin wouldn't work on Plex/Web through Windows browsers. The problem has to do with Plex/Web's implmentation of JW Player. The HTTPLiveStreams from CR are encrypted (for drm purposes) and i'm guess they can't be decrypted properly by these browsers. (That's my guess, i don't really know for sure) It doesn't work with Chrome or Firefox on OSX either. The only browser that works, as far as i know, is Safari on OSX. I would suspect that the mobile versions of Firefox and Chrome on Android have better support for CR's DRM. I was hoping IE 11 on Windows 8 would have support, but it doesn't. 

Regarding Flash, the plugin doesn't actually do anything in flash. The video streams my plugin is playing are the encrypted drm based .m3u8 files CR serves out to it's various apps on Consoles. (PS3, Xbox, Xbone, Ps4, etc) Plex actually killed support for flash all together with a recent PMS update. The crossdomain issue is specific to Plex/Web and i have no control over how Plex implements their JW Player. All my plugin does is serve up the raw video to Plex Media Server. PMS then transcodes the video to the clients. Plex/Web is then, presumably, using JW Player to actually play these video files. 

• FixionFixion Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2014
    Hi, I've been having some serious trouble getting the channel to actually play content on the Plex HT client, it works perfectly fine on my tablet using the Plex app.
    Anyway, this only started happening a couple of days ago and I hadn't changed anything in my setup since the time it worked to the time it stopped working. I've included the PHT log file for you, one thing that did stand out was the fflibmpeg 403 forbidden warnings after trying to open a stream to crunchyroll.

Thanks for your time

EDIT: Huh, strangest thing, after a few hours the plugin started working again on PHT.
  • D007D007 Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, 

I am getting this when trying to play a video - after logging in

BimmerFever wrote on January 15 2014, 6:48 PM: »

Hi, 

I am getting this when trying to play a video - after logging in

I'm assuming you are using Plex/Web? If so, what browser are you using? If you are using anything other than Safari on OSX, you will receive this message. This is a Plex/Web limitation and there's not much i can do to work around it. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

mattrk wrote on January 15 2014, 6:52 PM: »

I'm assuming you are using Plex/Web? If so, what browser are you using? If you are using anything other than Safari on OSX, you will receive this message. This is a Plex/Web limitation and there's not much i can do to work around it. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

I am using google chrome - PlexWeb. I disabled direct play and is working fine. is just streaming in low resolution. 

No inconvenience!! 

Thank You for your time and efforts!! 

On my Samsung TV app  :D  it does not work - it says "file not found" 

running PMS from a Synology server with the latest update. 

any advise would be great!

BimmerFever wrote on January 15 2014, 7:15 PM: »

On my Samsung TV app  :D  it does not work - it says "file not found" 

running PMS from a Synology server with the latest update. 

any advise would be great!

I don't have a Samsung TV with the app to test. It may be that my app is incompatible with that platform. I may have a Samsung TV at work i could test on. I will check on this tomorrow and let you know. 

zapotah wrote on January 4 2014, 1:13 AM: »

One other quick follow up. I spoke to one of the Plex employees recently about the crossdomain.xml issues. The reason that Plex/Web works on Safari and mobile devices is that Plex/Web doesn't use the JW flash player in those browsers. They are able to play the videos directly in the browser using the html5 <video> element. All other browsers that don't support viewing HLS (m3u8) streams using the html video element are forced to use the flash player. The downside is that the flash player Plex/Web uses for all those other browsers has to follow certain restrictions set by Crunchyroll that determines what sites are allowed to play their content. These sites are specified in the Crossdomain.xml file. Sites that aren't listed there are forbidden to play that content. Because plex.tv isn't listed in that file, Plex/Web is not allowed to play the content. 

I hope that explanation makes sense. Our only hope now is for Chrome and Firefox to step up their game and add support for playing HLS streams directly in the browser using the html video element like Safari can. 

• zapotahzapotah Posts: 2Members
    edited January 2014
    mattrk wrote on January 22 2014, 5:33 AM: »

One other quick follow up. I spoke to one of the Plex employees recently about the crossdomain.xml issues. The reason that Plex/Web works on Safari and mobile devices is that Plex/Web doesn't use the JW flash player in those browsers. They are able to play the videos directly in the browser using the html5 <video> element. All other browsers that don't support viewing HLS (m3u8) streams using the html video element are forced to use the flash player. The downside is that the flash player Plex/Web uses for all those other browsers has to follow certain restrictions set by Crunchyroll that determines what sites are allowed to play their content. These sites are specified in the Crossdomain.xml file. Sites that aren't listed there are forbidden to play that content. Because plex.tv isn't listed in that file, Plex/Web is not allowed to play the content. 

I hope that explanation makes sense. Our only hope now is for Chrome and Firefox to step up their game and add support for playing HLS streams directly in the browser using the html video element like Safari can. 

This makes perfect sense. I lack any kind of dev skills and can only report what I can decipher from any and all log output and pcaps. This clears up many things for me about the plugin. The better alternative would be that plex/web stops implementing flash in any form as soon as possible since html5 works perfectly well in Firefox, Chrome etc on Windows (no one should care about IE here anyway... :3 ). Even JWPlayer has supported html5 for a long time now, so I doubt this would be a real problem at this point.

For any tech-savvy users your explanation will clear up any questions about which platforms and apps are/will be supported unless CR changes something in how the streams are available. Thank you.

EDIT: For any non-tech savvy users and for the compatibility list, my server has been and always will be a linux server. The plugin works wonderfully well with it.

• psych2lpsych2l Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello, I'm able to chromecast this channel now through the web player or my Nexus 5, but the SD video quality leads something to be desired. I've increased local streaming bandwidth to the limit as well as transcoding quality. Is there a setting I'm missing to access the 720/1080 streams from crunchyroll?