If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Please add music playlist support!

bstobbebstobbe Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If someone asked me how I like Plex I'd literally say, "Great app, except doesn't support music playlist which is SUPER LAME!"

Sorry for being so blunt but this app just does way too many other obscure things not to support music playlists.  Its like you've built a car that can fly and transform into a robot and has artificial intelligence but doesn't have any headlights so you can't use it at night.

I'm a developer and can understand given the way Plex is written that this is not a simple addition but trust me when I say it will be the downfall of this software if its not addressed soon because someone else will come along and do this right if you wait too long.  That's not a threat, that's just reality.

OK, I'm done ranting now... but seriously, music playlists... top of the wish list!  Make it happen.  Please?

Best Answer

• bstobbebstobbe Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2015 Accepted Answer

Finally!  Plex Media Server supports music playlists!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if we can just get the Windows Phone app to support them my life will be complete!

Plex update 1.8 for Windows Phone.  My life is complete.

Answers

• lcsusa14lcsusa14 Posts: 2Members
    So I'm not crazy. I can only play one song at a time. I've been trying to figure out how to play a whole album.

well, you're not crazy but may be a noob. If you play the first track in an album it will continue on to the following tracks.

• ZorpleyZorpley Posts: 6Members

It's supposed to play the entire album. I think it's worked once for me. If the player manages to get to the end of a song without stopping, it won't go on to the next one, it just stops.

• GHouseGHouse Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I notice the problem with only being able to play one song and a workaround. First here is an example of how to create this problem. By the way this is on the Windows Phone 8 operating system.

Open Plex app

from Library tap on the music library icon 

tap on an artist

tap on an album for that artist

tap the play icon to the left of one of the songs listed

The next screen is the now playing screen I think, the song plays, it displays the play controls such as play/pause, skip, shuffle and repeat along with artist, album title and album art. At the bottom the name of the song currently playing and the below that the next two songs on deck that should play next.

If you stay on the now playing screen, when the song completes the next song on deck does not play. It just stops

workaround:

Open Plex app

from Library tap on the music library icon 

tap on an artist

tap on an album for that artist

tap the play on one of the songs listed

now playing screen is displayed

press Windows Phone hardware back button at least once to leave the now playing screen

song will continue to play. When song completes the next songs on deck will play and not stop after each song

It seems that if you remain in the now playing screen this causes the problem.

I guess this is a bug?

• LightValenLightValen Posts: 1Members

Thank you GHouse, that is great. I have been racking my brain figuring out what's wrong with my settings before I came across your post.  It must be a bug, and one I hope they fix soon.

• dnaniandnanian Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just asked about this in the "Ask a Ninja" section. It seems to be new behavior since the 1.4 update, doesn't it?

edited January 2015 Accepted Answer

Finally!  Plex Media Server supports music playlists!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if we can just get the Windows Phone app to support them my life will be complete!

Plex update 1.8 for Windows Phone.  My life is complete.