Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[SUPPORT] Feedback / Bugs & Suggestions

Comments

• jvitorerojvitorero Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm not agree, with the last version of PHT 0.9.10.1 (64 bits), this beta3 in OSX Mountain Lion doesn't work right. I have reinstalled the app, and on startup the screen freezes, neither the apple remote and the keyboard works.

. AppleTV 4, Darbee Darblet & Panasonic TX-P65VT50
    . iMac 2013 16Gb 512Gb SSD, B&W MM-1
    . AppleTV 3, Toshiba 46SV685, Rotel RA-12, B&W 805 Matrix
    . 2 x LaCie 5Big NAS 15 Tb
    . iPad Mini 2 & iPhone 6 with Plex
    . NAD M50 · Cardas Clear USB · Audioquest USB Jitterbug ·  External USB SSD · Cardas Golden Reference Power Cord · Transparent Premium HDMI · Synergistic Research ECT · NAD M51 · Cardas Golden Reference Power Cord · Neutral DREI Duo RCA · Neutral Pure Power Supply · Synergistic Research ECT · NAD M3e · Purist Audio Design Dominus Power Cord · Cardas Golden Reference Speaker Cable · B&W 803S · Cardas Golden Jumpers · Synergistic Research XOT · BK XLS200 · Power Cable VH Audio Flavor 4 · Gigawatt PF-2 · Gigawatt LC-2

• xHenomorphxHenomorph Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2013
    bkury wrote on August 11 2013, 4:02 PM: »

Thought so, thanks for confirming ...

OK - My Bad...

I didnt see the latest version so I updated my OSX 10.6.8 (Leopard) with latest versions of PMS 0.9.8.4 and PHTv0.9.10.1.

And replaced bkury's night skin with beta3.

Sadly, the same main issues remain for me.

Doesn't attach my Mac remote

Volume does not sync with Mac built-in volume

Display setting do not set when changed

However, I did try all this with the built-in skin for PHT and I experienced the same issues..so maybe there is hope when PHT is developed further.

As an FYI...when I use PMSv 0.9.7.28 with Plex Client v0.9.3.4, Volume, Display and Remote work fine. I could stay with this, but everyone at Plex and bkury do some amazing work and I do not want to lose out on experiencing the future of the "one media server to rule them all".

• bkurybkury Posts: 390Members ✭✭✭
    Ciaranh wrote on August 11 2013, 5:02 PM: »

Doesn't attach my Mac remote

Volume does not sync with Mac built-in volume

Display setting do not set when changed

However, I did try all this with the built-in skin for PHT and I experienced the same issues..so maybe there is hope when PHT is developed further.

yes, as mentioned before in this thread these are all known plex client not skin bugs ... always try non working features with the default skin first, if it's not working there it's probably not skin related, remember PHT 0.9.10 is also a beta/preview version.

@javiervitorero: can you please try this hotfix and tell me if it fixes your freeze problems? 

• Download: http://tinyurl.com/kjpyrmm
    • Extract .zip file
    • Put new "Home.xml" in your existing "skin.night/720p/" Directory (overwrite old file)
    • Please report back ...

thanks!

Night Skin v1.8.6  |  Support Thread  |  Github

OpenWeatherMap Channel  |  Github

OpenPHT  |  Github  |  Development Builds

Please consider to support my work, thank you!

btn_donate_SMgif

• xHenomorphxHenomorph Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    bkury wrote on August 11 2013, 5:32 PM: »

yes, as mentioned before in this thread these are all known plex client not skin bugs ... always try non working features with the default skin first, if it's not working there it's probably not skin related, remember PHT 0.9.10 is also a beta/preview version.

@javiervitorero: can you please try this hotfix and tell me if it fixes your freeze problems? 

• Download: http://tinyurl.com/kjpyrmm
    • Extract .zip file
    • Put new "Home.xml" in your existing "skin.night/720p/" Directory (overwrite old file)
    • Please report back ...

thanks!

Hey,

Psychic also...how did you know I started getting crash problems - LOL :D

Thanks, that fixed it

• jvitorerojvitorero Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok, perfect! Thank U very much, it fixed it.

Congratulations, great work!

. AppleTV 4, Darbee Darblet & Panasonic TX-P65VT50
    . iMac 2013 16Gb 512Gb SSD, B&W MM-1
    . AppleTV 3, Toshiba 46SV685, Rotel RA-12, B&W 805 Matrix
    . 2 x LaCie 5Big NAS 15 Tb
    . iPad Mini 2 & iPhone 6 with Plex
    . NAD M50 · Cardas Clear USB · Audioquest USB Jitterbug ·  External USB SSD · Cardas Golden Reference Power Cord · Transparent Premium HDMI · Synergistic Research ECT · NAD M51 · Cardas Golden Reference Power Cord · Neutral DREI Duo RCA · Neutral Pure Power Supply · Synergistic Research ECT · NAD M3e · Purist Audio Design Dominus Power Cord · Cardas Golden Reference Speaker Cable · B&W 803S · Cardas Golden Jumpers · Synergistic Research XOT · BK XLS200 · Power Cable VH Audio Flavor 4 · Gigawatt PF-2 · Gigawatt LC-2

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2013

@bkury:

I've just installed the Beta3 version of your Night skin for PHT both on a Win7_x64 system and a WinXP_x86 system, and I like this skin a lot.
    But there are a few issues I'd like to give you some feedback on, hoping for future improvements...

The first issue is not really a problem, I'm just a little confused about the proper skin installation location.
    In an earlier post you stated the proper method for Windows as being:

bkury wrote on August 8 2013, 4:37 PM: »

• Copy "skin.night" directory to:
    •    Windows: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex Home Theater\addons"

But I used different locations, like I've used for installing an earlier PHT skin (Amber):

Win7 == "c:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Plex Home Theater\addons"
    WinXP == "c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name_1\Application Data\Plex Home Theater\addons"

I assume it would work in your location too, since that is where PHT-internal bundles are stored, but I'd rather not mess around in the installed application folder. Messing around in its app-data folder should be safer. (May also affect UAC responses.)

After completing the installation and running PHT to switch into the new skin I had one initial problem on both computers, in that the main menu did not work correctly when backing out of the settings menu. The main menu was displayed, but with no item selected and without responding to cursor keys when I tried to select any menu item. So I had to terminate the initial session through the system's 'Task Manager'. Fortunately this only happened in that initial session. When restarting PHT thereafter it worked perfectly. However, when switching back and forth between skins, the same problem returns every time I switch to "Night" in a session started with "MediaStream"

One issue that puzzled me is that the "Wall" viewMode is available only for Movies, and not for TV Shows, even though the main list navigational needs of both are identical.
    And another oddity of the "Wall" mode is that it overrides the clock setting, apparently because it uses the same screen space for other info.

For such cases I'd prefer it if the clock, and associated info, was displayed in the top left corner of the screen (partly overlaying the top left poster), so as to allow display not only of the time (less important) but also of the list item count (important for list error checking). You might even add another skin option to toggle this usage separately from the other clock display flags.

Another minor issue is the term "Shutdown" (== Power_Off_Computer) for what is really just a program 'Exit' or 'Quit' operation.
    I never permit any program to shutdown my computer, so in my initial configuration I blocked that command from the main menu, as I believed it would do what the word says... Later I tested it, to find that it was just a harmless 'Exit' command, but I'd still like it to be renamed to indicate this nature.
    Edit: Apparently the 'Quit/Shutdown' menu command is implemented slightly differently in the newest PHT version, so you should check that out...

Finally I question the choice of limiting the visible main menu commands to just five, and also the HUGE font size used for that menu. Half that character height would be plenty enough for me, and this might even allow my full menu to be visible at once (if the five-row limit is increased).

Finally I found one issue in my testing that may in fact be a new PHT bug, so I will report it as such in the PHT subforum.
    But since I found it in testing your skin with the new PHT version, it's something you too need to be aware of.

Bad problem that might not be related to your skin...
    When I tested the "TV shows" section I found one serious bug affecting both the "All Shows" and the "Unwatched" shows, in that they both refused to display any show for which even a single episode had been watched. I could even test this by setting the "Watched" flag of a single episode in one of the listed shows, with that show then disappearing from the list in subsequent entries into either "All Shows" or "Unwatched". But I'm not sure if this is something you need to worry about, as I then tested the same thing in the MediaStream skin, with identical erroneous results. I now suspect that this is a new bug in the latest version of PHT, not in your skin, though I'll need to make a series of additional tests to verify that conclusion. PHT is not the client I most frequently use for my media viewing, which explains why I could have missed this bug in my earlier testing of PHT (before installing your skin I mean).

Edit: I've now reinstalled PHT after a complete uninstall where I manually deleted all remnants both in the program folder and in the appdata folder of PHT, and after this reinstall I also added the alternate skins (incl. Night) exactly like I did earlier. With this new setup the 'Watched' problem does not come back, so I think it was just a matter of the new PHT version having problems with bundle remnants of old versions, since I've always done incremental updates instead of uninstalling for each re-install. This means that the problem was never due to your skin, but users who recently updated to the new PHT version may still need to be aware of the problem as it may strike them like it did me.

I also think that another 'heads-up' notice is in order concerning the user-chosen viewMode settings, as these settings will not persist properly until a new release of PMS has fixed the support for client viewMode saving and loading, which was broken in the early work on multi-user access and remains broken still. That problem affects all PHT and PMC skins, including the original MediaStream.

Best regards: dlanor

edited August 2013

wow, that's some serious feedback there :-) ... thanks, here we go:

But I used different locations, like I've used for installing an earlier PHT skin (Amber):

Win7 == "c:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Plex Home Theater\addons"
    WinXP == "c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name_1\Application Data\Plex Home Theater\addons"

I assume it would work in your location too, since that is where PHT-internal bundles are stored, but I'd rather not mess around in the installed application folder. Messing around in its app-data folder should be safer. (May also affect UAC responses.)

you are right, but I choose this location for the beta because it's easier for people to mess with that directory rather than the users directory (AppData) which is hidden by default  ... the release version of the complete skin will of course be installed in the users directory, feel free to install it in your user directory :-)

After completing the installation and running PHT to switch into the new skin I had one initial problem on both computers, in that the main menu did not work correctly when backing out of the settings menu. The main menu was displayed, but with no item selected and without responding to cursor keys when I tried to select any menu item. So I had to terminate the initial session through the system's 'Task Manager'. Fortunately this only happened in that initial session. When restarting PHT thereafter it worked perfectly. However, when switching back and forth between skins, the same problem returns every time I switch to "Night" in a session started with "MediaStream"

yes, this will be fixed in the beta3.1 hotfix release, see this post if you want to fix it yourself now : http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/76918-night-skin-for-pht-0910/?p=443256

One issue that puzzled me is that the "Wall" viewMode is available only for Movies, and not for TV Shows, even though the main list navigational needs of both are identical.
    And another oddity of the "Wall" mode is that it overrides the clock setting, apparently because it uses the same screen space for other info.

For such cases I'd prefer it if the clock, and associated info, was displayed in the top left corner of the screen (partly overlaying the top left poster), so as to allow display not only of the time (less important) but also of the list item count (important for list error checking). You might even add another skin option to toggle this usage separately from the other clock display flags.

TV Wall mode could be a future release option but right now there are more important things to do first ... but I will put that on my TODO list :-) I don't know if I understand you correctly about the wall clock thing, basically you want the clock displayed in the lower left corner?

another minor issue is the term "Shutdown" (== Power_Off_Computer) for what is really just a program 'Exit' or 'Quit' operation.

I never permit any program to shutdown my computer, so in my initial configuration I blocked that command from the main menu, as I believed it would do what the word says... Later I tested it, to find that it was just a harmless 'Exit' command, but I'd still like it to be renamed to indicate this nature.

you are right, this will be changed accordingly in the next release .... just didn't get to that yet.

Finally I question the choice of limiting the visible main menu commands to just five, and also the HUGE font size used for that menu. Half that character height would be plenty enough for me, and this might even allow my full menu to be visible at once (if the five-row limit is increased).

There is already an option for smaller main menu fonts, take a look at: Settings --> Skin --> Home Window --> Menu Font (Aeon)

7 Menu item option is actually not bad, I consider that in future releases as a skin option in settings ....

Finally I found one issue in my testing that may in fact be a new PHT bug, so I will report it as such in the PHT subforum.
    But since I found it in testing your skin with the new PHT version, it's something you too need to be aware of.

As you stated, this is a known PHT bug, nothing I can do about it ...

thanks for the feedback!

btn_donate_SMgif

edited August 2013
    bkury wrote on August 11 2013, 9:28 PM: »

TV Wall mode could be a future release option but right now there are more important things to do first ... but I will put that on my TODO list :-)

Great. I really want the GUI to be consistent for movie browsing and show browsing.
    And the wall mode has the advantage of showing a lot more entries per screenful, so that's the mode I want to use.
    But until I can use it consistently I'll settle for the Panel mode with small posters (for 24 shows per screenful).

Having a lot of posters visible per screenful makes a big difference for quick navigation through a large library.
    (But only on a fast platform of course, for a weaker unit like the RPi some text list mode is better.)

I don't know if I understand you correctly about the wall clock thing, basically you want the clock displayed in the lower left corner?

Either of top left or bottom left corner will do fine, since the righthand corners are occupied by other displays in wall mode. It's really the list entry count that I want displayed, but your skin handles that as part of the clock display area enabled by the global clock flag. And I do want the clock and the entry count displayed somewhere, whenever that flag is enabled. (Except during video playback of course.)

re: Shutdown VS Quit/Exit

you are right, this will be changed accordingly in the next release .... just didn't get to that yet.

Actually the new PHT version allows users to define whether that command should perform a shutdown, an exit, or some other operations, and for any of those choices the MediaStream menu displays the command as "Quit", even when it is a shutdown. I suppose the sense of this is that 'Quit' is a vague description, so it can fit either case, while 'Shutdown' is a specific description that would only fit one case.

There is already an option for smaller main menu fonts, take a look at: Settings --> Skin --> Home Window --> Menu Font (Aeon)

I did try that option once, though it didn't seem to have any direct effect. (Possibly not visible in settings menu.)
    I'll try it again then, to see how/if it modifies the main menu appearance.

I look forward to your next release of this fine skin.

Beta4 is available including 21 accent colors, extended home menu (7 items), viewtype fixes and more ...

This is going to be the last release for a while (except hotfix if needed), I will now focus on small bugs, missing text/info, graphics anomalies.

Have Fun!

btn_donate_SMgif

edited August 2013
    bkury wrote on August 13 2013, 2:07 PM: »

Beta4 is available including 21 accent colors, extended home menu (7 items), viewtype fixes and more ...

I've just made a few tests with the beta4 version and it's working very nicely now, with just a few issues.

One such issue is that I still think that even 7 menu rows visible is a bit scant, when there are many more menu commands, and ample resolution to display them all (my desktop rez is 1920x1200). I'd welcome more user options for row limit and smaller menu font sizes.
    (Switching to Aeon font made no difference, as the font size remained HUGE. And the row menu limit seems fixed at 5 or 7 anyway.)

This is going to be the last release for a while (except hotfix if needed), I will now focus on small bugs, missing text/info, graphics anomalies.

I did notice two issues with missing info/graphics.

One is that there is no item count display for music listings. (Though there is for Movies, Shows and Pictures.)

The other is that TV show posters never have any 'Watched' overlays, even if all episodes are marked as 'Watched'.
    The 'Watched' tick marks are shown correctly when viewing the list of a show's episodes, but the poster of the show itself in the main list never has any 'Watched' overlays. (I enabled those both for Movies and for TV Shows, and they work fine for Movies.)

The above are minor issues of course, in no way interfering with normal use of the skin.

The worst PHT skin issue now is one no skin design can fix, as it will require a new PMS release to make our viewMode choices persist.

So until the next PMS release we can't make much practical use of the non-default viewModes.

(Fortunately I prefer the default 'Wall' mode anyway, for both Movies and Shows... :))

beta5 is available including some new stuff and tons of fixes ...

Have Fun!

btn_donate_SMgif

• wake.caw@gmail.comwake.caw@gmail.com Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First off I want to say thanks to bkury for all he has done.  I have wanted this skin for a long time and considered porting it myself but time and other priorities always prevail.  Anyway I have tried every beta version of this and had no success I know its for a certain version of PHT and this is probably the reason for it not working.  I am running win 7 64bit with PMS 0.9.7.28 installed and PMC v3213059.  Is there anyway to get this working properly for me?  Heck I would even pay for this skin at this point. I have always wanted it.  Seems like the sleekest best looking skin IMO. I am willing to modify I just would need guidance on how to do so.    

edited August 2013
    wake.caw@gmail.com wrote on August 21 2013, 12:25 AM: »

First off I want to say thanks to bkury for all he has done.     

You are welcome ...

I have wanted this skin for a long time and considered porting it myself but time and other priorities always prevail.  Anyway I have tried every beta version of this and had no success I know its for a certain version of PHT and this is probably the reason for it not working.  I am running win 7 64bit with PMS 0.9.7.28 installed and PMC v3213059.

yes, this skin is for PHT 0.9.10+ only (pre-release/plexpass) version and here is why I choose PHT 0.9.10+ instead of the current public one:
    (I get this question a lot, so I'm going to answer it here)
    • PHC is a dead end ... sooner or later (hopefully sooner) PHC (0.9.5) will be replaced with PHT (0.9.10+). There are non-trivial changes between these versions and I don't want to spend my time working on this skin knowing it will be obsolete or have to be adapted again as soon as PHT takes over ...
    • PHT (0.9.10+) is more cross-platform friendly, e.g. there are official repos for e.g. ubuntu and other platforms ...
    I know that there are people out there who would like to use this skin but don't want to pay for (or can't afford) a plexpass subscription. I'm really sorry but I
    think it's the right choice to focus on PHT instead of PHC and hopefully there will be a public PHT release soon so that everybody can use this skin ...

Is there anyway to get this working properly for me?  Heck I would even pay for this skin at this point. I have always wanted it.  Seems like the sleekest best looking skin IMO. I am willing to modify I just would need guidance on how to do so.

yes, if you want to use a beta client with a beta skin and don't mind to spend a few bucks, here is how :
    (you get some other cool features as a plexpass member, so it's not just the pre-release stuff)

* Upgrade your Plex Account here : https://my.plexapp.com/subscription/about
    * Go to the plexpass/members forums and read about PHT pre-release
    * Download PHT pre-release (0.9.10.1.20-f227226b)

Install the new PHT Client and this skin should work fine for you, please note there are still some annoying plex client problems such as views not sticking
    and other weird stuff ...

Have Fun!

btn_donate_SMgif

• wake.caw@gmail.comwake.caw@gmail.com Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the advice.  I did it and man was it worth it looks amazing.  Don't like another bill and the fact the netflix channel isnt available yet (main reason didnt want to become a plex pass member), but so worth it.  Works great thanks bkury!!

• morbidjmorbidj Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    Just dropping a quick line to say thank you for you efforts the skin is beautiful. Now if we can only get those quirks preventing view modes from sticking worked out I'd be set lol... Thanks again..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  • amos.geva@gmail.comamos.geva@gmail.com Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Nice skin, thanks for the hard work you're putting in!

Is it just me or it's a known bug? TV Shows -> Unwatched -> changing the list view to wall -> going back to the main menu and back to unwatched, again I have a list and not wall! how do I save it from changing?

• anddhanddh Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    ageva wrote on August 25 2013, 4:27 PM: »

Nice skin, thanks for the hard work you're putting in!

Is it just me or it's a known bug? TV Shows -> Unwatched -> changing the list view to wall -> going back to the main menu and back to unwatched, again I have a list and not wall! how do I save it from changing?

This is a known bug with the later releases of PMS. It 'should' be fixed in the next version.

all-fanart.jpg
  • tvaccaritvaccari Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Really nice skin.  I did notice one thing with on deck and the title overlapping the date.  Image attached.

Thanks.

thanks, this issue has already been fixed in the upcoming rc1 version (including queue & recommendation deck) which will be available sometime next week ...

@all: found another bug/problem or glitch? please report it here, thanks!

btn_donate_SMgif

edited August 2013

@bkury:

I've made some tests on two PCs (Win7 and WinXP) with the beta5 version of 'Night' and most everything is now fine,

but there are two oddities that you may want to change.

(Not bugs, but just some things not feeling quite 'right'.)

The first is the fact that the 'Global' clock setting doesn't work globally.

The clock display still disappears in various intermediate selection menus.

It's not in any way fatal, but contradicts the term 'Global', that's all.

I'd prefer it if that setting makes the clock stay in place regardless of menu changes.

(Except for the varying content of the item count row of course.)

The second oddity is the 'ruthless' scaling of the background images to fit the screen size.

The aspect ratio of my main PC monitors is 16x10, normally used for a rez of 1920x1200.

PHT (or Night ?) simply stretches the 16x9 background images to fit this screen, giving incorrect aspect.

So all circular objects in those images (like the 'Quit' button) instead become slightly oval.

I'm not sure of to what extent you can modify the scaling method in the skin's script code.

But I think you need to find a way to solve this, to keep the backgrounds looking good.

As I see it there are three decent methods of screen-fitting images, with the choice depending on content.

1: Stretching/Shrinking to fit entire image into entire screen. (The simplest method.)

This is the current method, and it's suitable only for cases where aspect ratio doesn't matter.

2: Stretching/Shrinking proportionately until entire image is in screen, possibly with black borders.

This the best method when aspect ratio is required and all image content MUST be visible (like documentation images etc).

3: Stretching/Shrinking proportionately until entire screen is full, with one axis fitting perfectly (either one),

followed by clipping the image excess of the non-fitting axis, either symmetrically or at right/bottom edge.

For all cases where aspect ratio does matter (including all real-image backgrounds) method 1 should be avoided,

and replaced either by method 2 (best for doc's) or method 3 (best for non-informative backgrounds (aka: "Eye Candy" :D)).

Btw:

Sorry if I seem pedantic in the above, as I'm sure you're already aware of such image scaling alternatives.

But I wrote it this way to make sure that non-programmer readers also have a chance to understand the issue.