Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[SUPPORT] Feedback / Bugs & Suggestions

Comments

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm afraid I spoke too soon about most things working fine, as I've found some real issues with beta5 that need fixing.

These issues relate to the flagging of unwatched content of TV shows.

One such issue is that some kind of reverse logic is applied to the Watched/Unwatched status of Shows and Seasons (two separate but similar problems).

This problem is probably in part inherited from older skin models, as MediaStream's Panel mode also shows Unwatched overlays only for shows and seasons that are entirely unwatched, with no overlay shown for shows or seasons where even a single episode has been shown. But in compensation for this there is always a display of watched and unwatched episode counts in the info field for the selected show or season. But in the Night skin that information is not available..., anywhere...

Another and much worse consequence of the same reverse logic is that your new ViewMode option 'Watched / Hidden' does not work the same way as selecting "Unwatched" filter when entering the show list. That filter still displays all shows and seasons that have some unwatched parts. But if I go into the listing as "All Shows" and then switch your option to "Hidden" this hides all shows where any part has been watched, making it impossible to find any unwatched content in those shows. (That's what I meant by "reverse logic" above.) This is probably because you just test the case as you would for an unwatched overlay display. A similar problem also applies to a list of seasons, where the option "Watched / Hidden" will hide all seasons with any watched episode, regardless of remaining unwatched episodes.

Also, apparently the overlay is never displayed at all in a listing of seasons. Whenever I select a show poster to view its season list all of the seasons lack overlays, and selecting the seasons gives no info whatever on watched unwatched status. The only way to find the point I broke off at in earlier sessions is to open each season to look for 'unwatched overlay lines' on each episode entry. You need to add some convenient way(s) of finding the 'first unwatched' episode of a show without having to inspect each episode before that one.

I suggest that you both add proper overlays for the season posters and add counts of watched VS unwatched episodes in the info text for the current selection. And I also suggest that you show the 'Unwatched' overlay for any show/season with any unwatched parts. Or even better, use a new overlay icon to indicate mixed content. I know this goes against the old MediaStream methods, but it is in accordance with newer clients (Kepler uses a half-circle icon) and the usage of Plex/Web (circled numbers), which I consider a better authority for correct ways of handling Plex info (as it is the "Media Manager"). This would be a significant improvement in the convenience of following multiple shows.

Yeah, I could memorize season and episode numbers of course, for a limited set of shows and a limited period. But I have tons of shows and sometimes go a long while between sessions for some of them, so I really need some help by those 'watched' overlays. (The kind of need they were created for in the first place...)

Best regards: dlanor

• bkurybkury Posts: 390Members ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

thanks for the feedback ...

• Global Clock: "List View" global clock is a little bit tricky, but I'm already working on a solution ... where else do you miss the global clock?
    • 16:10 AR: I really forgot about that ... thanks! :-)
    • Unwatched/Watched Overlays: This is a tough one. I thought about it a lot and finally decided to go with the mediastream approach ... People are used to mediastream and many of them were confused with the reversed watched/unwatched overlays. There will be an option to display unwatched count in all views , this should then be consistent with mediastream ...
    • Shown/Hidden: this has already been fixed in the new version, it now only hides tvseries if ALL episodes/seasons are marked as watched. (same behaviour as the "unwatched" plex menu function). And it now displays the correct state (shown/hidden) in the viewtype menu ...
    • Overlays on Seasons: there are overlays for season views ... only the "Wall" viewtype was missing season overlays (already fixed). Are they missing anywhere else?

Night Skin v1.8.6  |  Support Thread  |  Github

OpenWeatherMap Channel  |  Github

OpenPHT  |  Github  |  Development Builds

Please consider to support my work, thank you!

btn_donate_SMgif

edited August 2013
    bkury wrote on August 30 2013, 1:17 PM: »

Global Clock: "List View" global clock is a little bit tricky, but I'm already working on a solution ... where else do you miss the global clock?

It's also missing in '3D Landscape' as well as some intermediate pages (eg: where you choose 'All Movies' or 'Unwatched'.)
    Having the clock in those intermediate pages is not really important, as we never spend much time in them. We just pass through...
    For 'List' mode I suggest putting clock in the bottom right corner. That will only obscure part of the poster, hiding no info.
    For '3D Landscape the best place would be the usual top right, obscuring only that corner of the fanart image.

Of course, the eye-candy fanatics will object to this, but I think there's a way to make everyone happy.
    Since you have options specific to each ViewMode, you can add a new such option for "Hide Clock".
    This would then override the "Global Clock" flag, but only when the active ViewMode has that "Hide Clock" flag set.
    As soon as the user navigates to a list with another viewmode lacking that option flag (or a menu) the global flag rules again.

This way 'Global' still means 'Global', but with user-defined local exceptions.

16:10 AR: I really forgot about that ... thanks! :-)

I'm glad I could help. I realize how easy it would be to miss 16:10 issues, when using only 16:9 monitors/TVs.

Unwatched/Watched Overlays: This is a tough one. I thought about it a lot and finally decided to go with the mediastream approach ... People are used to mediastream and many of them were confused with the reversed watched/unwatched overlays. There will be an option to display unwatched count in all views , this should then be consistent with mediastream ...

That will be satisfactory, though I feel that Kepler and Plex/Web methods make more sense.
    For anyone following a TV show, the main use of watched/unwatched flags is to find the first as yet unwatched episode conveniently.
    And that is precisely what the MediaStream method does not allow.

In Kepler or Plex/Web I only need to glance at the sequence of season posters in order to see which one contains the border between watched and unwatched episodes. But in MediaStream I also have to select one or two suspects to make sure of which it is. And for entire shows this usage is even more confusing, as there is no overlay difference between a completely watched show, and one where only a few episodes have been watched with hundreds remaining. That is really illogical. But having the unwatched counts displayed when selecting the shows will help, so that too will be satisfactory.

NB:

I'm not nagging you to change your approach, as I already said that it will be satisfactory (twice even :)).
    So here I'm just explaining why I think a different approach could be even better.

Shown/Hidden: this has already been fixed in the new version, it now only hides tvseries if ALL episodes/seasons are marked as watched. (same behaviour as the "unwatched" plex menu function). And it now displays the correct state (shown/hidden) in the viewtype menu ...

Good! This was an important fix, as the skin needs to be consistent in such things.

Overlays on Seasons: there are overlays for season views ... only the "Wall" viewtype was missing season overlays (already fixed). Are they missing anywhere else?

No, I think that's it. (I was a bit sloppy in not checking that for other ViewModes. Sorry!)

• maverick214maverick214 Posts: 2,259Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

bkury,

Awesome, thanks for porting this skin to PHT!

Great to have another person working on skins.

Keep up the great work!

PlexAeon Aeon Skin for Plex (PHT) No longer being developed Metropolis Skin (PHT) No longer being developed

Direct Link to PlexAeon Skin ZIP on GitHub

History of changes to PlexAeon Skin

• jer78jer78 Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

bkury,

Thanks so much for this skin! It's my new favourite for Plex HT

I just noticed something else, the global slideshow seems to hiccup during the transition of images on the home screen.  When the Ken Burns effect is enabled, it seems to do it every 4th image.  When it's not enabled it doesn't seem to have a set pattern. Not sure if it's just me of if others experience this issue too.  Enjoying the skin!

• eug7eug7 Posts: 191Members Plex Pass
    jer78 wrote on September 4 2013, 9:06 PM: »

I just noticed something else, the global slideshow seems to hiccup during the transition of images on the home screen.  When the Ken Burns effect is enabled, it seems to do it every 4th image.  When it's not enabled it doesn't seem to have a set pattern. Not sure if it's just me of if others experience this issue too.  Enjoying the skin!

I see this too.

thanks for the kind words! I had to take some time off but now I'm back working on the next release ...

@maverrick214: as already mentioned in my first post, huge thanks for initially porting night to PHC, you saved me a lot of time :-) 

Slideshow/Kenburns hiccup problem:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a PHT client problem. Every "redraw" on the homescreen (in this case start/end of ken burns animation) also triggers the internal plex background container to update it's content which (I think) shouldn't happen ... The same problem occurs when changing the volume (osd) on the homescreen, the background fanart will go nuts ... this also happens in mediastream so I suppose it's not a skin problem.

btn_donate_SMgif

• OP8OP8 Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2013

I like the updates, ondeck/recently ++++++! You've done it so nicely. I still would like to see episode info also, but thats not a big deal.

Minimal OSD would be huge + as well. Also maybe you could steal the waiting gears from amber skin :)? I mean when you resume or start to playback theres little waiting time, amber has this nice gear and background fades to blackish.

Ondeck/recently implementation gives this skin the edge, even tho I think amber has the more polished feeling. I dont doubt that in time you can achieve that as well, and the skin is already nice, keep up the good work!

(dont know if you noticed I tried to give exactly similar ondeck/recently added implementation to amber maker a while back, then you add it in your skin, cant be coinsidence) :)?

bkury wrote on September 5 2013, 11:58 PM: »

Slideshow/Kenburns hiccup problem:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a PHT client problem. Every "redraw" on the homescreen (in this case start/end of ken burns animation) also triggers the internal plex background container to update it's content which (I think) shouldn't happen ... The same problem occurs when changing the volume (osd) on the homescreen, the background fanart will go nuts ... this also happens in mediastream so I suppose it's not a skin problem.

The new Plex HT version seems to fix this issue so you're right, wasn't your skin.  Thanks again

just a quick update:

sorry for the delay, but the new PHT version is causing more problems for me than it solves .... will try to fix it as fast as possible.

btn_donate_SMgif

• rogerveijkrogerveijk Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    bkury wrote on September 18 2013, 1:17 PM: »

just a quick update:

sorry for the delay, but the new PHT version is causing more problems for me than it solves .... will try to fix it as fast as possible.

Good luck :)

• lu_catelli@yahoo.comlu_catelli@yahoo.com Posts: 71Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've tried installing but had an issue of plex not going to any level past the main screen. I just get a blank screen. I tried restarting plex and the entire computer and then Plex would try to start and then crash. Am I the only one?
    lu_catelli@yahoo.com wrote on September 26 2013, 11:46 AM: »

I've tried installing but had an issue of plex not going to any level past the main screen. I just get a blank screen. I tried restarting plex and the entire computer and then Plex would try to start and then crash. Am I the only one?

The beta5 release of the Night skin works fine for me on both Win7_Pro_x64 and Win7_Ultimate_x86 (both SP1) when using the latest PHT beta version 0.9.10.2.45-2fee2769-windows-x86, though I think this Night skin beta was designed for a PHT beta one or two releases earlier.

However, it will almost certainly malfunction on very old versions of PHT, since the main program has been extensively modified in later versions (partly to make use of new PMS functionality).

If you can't resolve your problems please report again, but this time include all relevant details such as the PHT version, the Night skin version, your operating system and its update status (SP1 or whatever). All these factors can be important in determining the problem causes.

• lu_catelli@yahoo.comlu_catelli@yahoo.com Posts: 71Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I will try it again. It looks great from what I've seen so far.

I'll report back.
    Thanks
  • tclephtcleph Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Do you know if this Night skin will work on PMC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    tcleph wrote on October 1 2013, 1:21 AM: »

Do you know if this Night skin will work on PMC?

While much of the skinning methods are similar between PHT and PMC (and XBMC), the resulting skins are not compatible between the different clients. Making a skin designed for one of them work correctly on the other will require a lot of editing, by someone well informed on how both types of skins work.

@bkury:

It's been a full month now since your last post in this thread, so I thought I'd ask if you have any news for us.

I guess 'real life' concerns may have prevented you from participating in the forums lately...?

hi,

I know it has been a little bit quiet in here, but that doesn't mean that I'm not working on this project and/or reading the forums. There was simply not much to do or announce here, which is actually a good thing because this thread should mostly be about bugs/problems besides new release announcements :-)

I'm still eagerly waiting for a new version of PHT (~2 months old now, PLEASE WE *REALLY* NEED A CLIENT UPDATE!) which hopefully fixes all the annoying bugs and problems with menu navigation, recently added and other stuff ... It doesn't make much sense to release a new night skin version which has more bugs/problems than the old one because of PHT itself.

I'm also thinking about pushing 2 versions of the skin (stable/dev) to gitlab for easy updating and that everybody have the chance to play with the latest development version, expect this after the next skin release ...

cya

btn_donate_SMgif

just a small update:

all right, seems like we have to wait a little bit longer for a new PHT client release ... the 2,5 month old PHT client has a ton of (skin) problems and I really thought they going to fix it as soon as possible, but it looks like I was wrong ... 

anyway, I don't want to wait any longer so I'm going to prepare another beta (instead of rc1) release with some fixes and some of the new features which should work fine even with the buggy PHT client.

cheers

btn_donate_SMgif