If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[SUPPORT] Feedback / Bugs & Suggestions

Comments

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    bkury wrote on November 5 2013, 7:43 AM: »

just a small update:

all right, seems like we have to wait a little bit longer for a new PHT client release ... the 2,5 month old PHT client has a ton of (skin) problems and I really thought they going to fix it as soon as possible, but it looks like I was wrong ...

Did you miss a release ?

AFAIK PHT 0.9.10.2 was released on Sept 5th, so it's only 2 months and 2 days old.
    You may have been thinking of PHT 0.9.10.1, which is approaching 3 months of age.

I've been using your latest 'Night' release on my laptop all along, without any major issues.
    (But of course I'm not using all the features and ViewModes, so some of those may work less well in this PHT.)

anyway, I don't want to wait any longer so I'm going to prepare another beta (instead of rc1) release with some fixes and some of the new features which should work fine even with the buggy PHT client.

This is great news, and I look forward to having an even better version to play with... :)

Best regards: dlanor

• bkurybkury Posts: 392Members ✭✭✭

beta6 is up ...

NOTE: Make sure you have the latest version of PHT and PMS. If you are upgrading from a previous version you might want to check your night skin settings because some of the features (e.g. overlays) are now enabled by default.

Have fun! And as always, feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated ...

Night Skin v1.8.6  |  Support Thread  |  Github

OpenWeatherMap Channel  |  Github

OpenPHT  |  Github  |  Development Builds

Please consider to support my work, thank you!

btn_donate_SMgif

edited November 2013
    bkury wrote on November 9 2013, 6:05 PM: »

beta6 is up ...

NOTE: Make sure you have the latest version of PHT and PMS. If you are upgrading from a previous version you might want to check your night skin settings because some of the features (e.g. overlays) are now enabled by default.

Have fun! And as always, feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated ...

I'm not sure how serious you are about requiring the very latest PMS version. I'm intentionally lagging two beta releases behind right now, due to the serious bugs we've been having lately. I use PMS v0.9.8.10, which is bad enough, but I can't take the risk of using v0.9.8.12, after some of the horror reports I've seen. (It wouldn't just affect myself, but also my extended family.)

In any case, I don't think the feature I'm reporting on now is affected by the PMS update changes after v0.9.8.10

The PHT version I'm using is the very latest one, "PlexHomeTheater-0.9.10.2.45-2fee2769-windows-x86" as intended for PMS v0.9.8.10

When using the new skin beta to browse inside lists of show episodes (whether for a season or 'All episodes'), I at first found no difference between watched and unwatched episodes, making it impossible to see where to commence viewing (except by personal memory of the numbers or checking plot descriptions).

I soon realized that this was because I had disabled the ugly cyan overlays for the show and movie posters (since the 'unwatched count' works fine without that overlay). But unfortunately that overlay is the ONLY means of seeing which episodes are unwatched in their listings.

As you probably guessed from the above, I want you to add yet another option for 'unwatched' overlays, so that the overlays for episodes are handled independently of the ones for show and season posters. I also think a more neutral overlay color would be preferable (some grey or brown shade, rather than a glaring cyan).

edited November 2013

Not sure if I get you right but here are some suggestions :

• if you don't like cyan overlays just pick another accent color (accent color = overlay color) ... but i'll think about a neutral overlay option.
    • if you don't like the overlays in general there is now another option to highlight unwatched content (Viewtype Settings --> Watched Normal/Transparent)

And if I understand you correctly you want additional overlay settings? like :

• Disable TV Episodes Overlays
    • Disable TV Seasons Overlays
    • Disable TV Show Overlays
    • Disable Movies Overlays
    • Disable List View Overlays

cya

btn_donate_SMgif

edited November 2013
    bkury wrote on November 11 2013, 8:54 PM: »

Not sure if I get you right but here are some suggestions :

• if you don't like cyan overlays just pick another accent color (accent color = overlay color) ... but i'll think about a neutral overlay option.
    • if you don't like the overlays in general there is now another option to highlight unwatched content (Viewtype Settings --> Watched Normal/Transparent)

I'll try the accent color changes you mention, though I see a conflict of needs here.

On the show posters we want minimum 'glare' of the overlays, since the unwatched 'count' digits are the main indicators anyway. But on show episodes the overlay itself is the only indicator of the watched/unwatched status, so it needs to be more prominent.

And if I understand you correctly you want additional overlay settings? like :

• Disable TV Episodes Overlays
    • Disable TV Seasons Overlays
    • Disable TV Show Overlays
    • Disable Movies Overlays
    • Disable List View Overlays

No, I see no need for all of that.

TV show and season posters have identical needs, so they should be treated identically.
    And in the use of unwatched overlays I see no need to single out the modes that use text lists.

Generally speaking, for all list entries that represent multiple videos (show, season, other aggregate), we have the "unwatched count" digits, which reduce the need for a graphic overlay. So disabling overlays for these lists makes sense. But for list entries representing single videos belonging to a larger group (season episodes, movie serials in a collection etc) the overlays are always needed. I don't even think they need any disabling flags, since disabling them never makes any sense at all.

So what I'd recommend is just:

Disable Movie overlays
    Disable TV Show and Season overlays (but not their unwatched counts or episode overlays)

Optionally, for completion perfectionists, there could also be a setting to disable overlays for episodes, but for my own use that would be pointless, since some indication of watched/unwatched status is always needed for episodes.

Also optionally, treat movies in a collection listing the same way as TV episodes, since they may well be of a similar nature (old movie serials etc).

Btw: I wonder how the new PHT 1.0 will affect your continued work on this skin.
    I've not yet installed that new PHT version, but I guess it may have a lot of modified skinning details...

dlanor wrote on November 12 2013, 3:44 PM: »

I'll try the accent color changes you mention, though I see a conflict of needs here.

I think the accent colors are a nice touch and make this skin a little bit more personal and diversified(?) ... and the overlays are fitting in the accent color category pretty well. But as already mentioned, I'm thinking about a neutral, accent color independent option for the overlays ... (some kind of grayish color)

On the show posters we want minimum 'glare' of the overlays, since the unwatched 'count' digits are the main indicators anyway. But on show episodes the overlay itself is the only indicator of the watched/unwatched status, so it needs to be more prominent.

No, I see no need for all of that.

I can understand that, but that's your personal preference  ... but there are plenty of people out there (including me) who want graphical overlays for tvshow and season views, so I have to try to make everybody happy. This is why I think that my suggestion should work best, just give the user full control over where to display overlays ...

Btw: I wonder how the new PHT 1.0 will affect your continued work on this skin.

I've not yet installed that new PHT version, but I guess it may have a lot of modified skinning details...

I've already installed PHT 1.0 and night looks pretty functional to me ... all I've noticed are some missing links in the main menu (settings, quit, ...) and some animation problems with channel/shared content views.

So basically the next version will be fully PHT 1.0 compatible and from that point on no longer working with versions below that. This version bump gives me hope that we see a public release pretty soon.

btn_donate_SMgif

edited November 2013
    bkury wrote on November 12 2013, 4:34 PM: »

I think the accent colors are a nice touch and make this skin a little bit more personal and diversified(?) ... and the overlays are fitting in the accent color category pretty well. But as already mentioned, I'm thinking about a neutral, accent color independent option for the overlays ... (some kind of grayish color)

That sounds fine to me, and once I changed the accent color to "Steel" I was quite happy with the result of keeping the overlays enabled even for the posters.

I can understand that, but that's your personal preference  ... but there are plenty of people out there (including me) who want graphical overlays for tvshow and season views, so I have to try to make everybody happy. This is why I think that my suggestion should work best, just give the user full control over where to display overlays ...

Oh, I naturally agree with that too.
    I just wanted to make it clear that I don't require such full control myself in this case.

I've already installed PHT 1.0 and night looks pretty functional to me ... all I've noticed are some missing links in the main menu (settings, quit, ...)

I too have installed it now, on my main Win7_x64 PC as well as on my Win7_x86 laptop.

Apparently they've removed the support for having those 'Settings' and 'Quit' commands in the main menu.
    But having them in side menus or context menus works fine. (Tested both in your 'Night' and in the 'Amber' skin.)

So for the "Quit" command you don't really need to change anything, as you have it in the context menu of the main menu. You do need to fix access to the settings menu though, and perhaps some fixes to your settings menus are also needed not just for the latest PHT but also for the two preceding it.

I have PHT 0.9.10.1 on an XP computer (the last XP-compatible PHT version), using it with your latest 'Night' skin. But going through all the settings menus I can find nowhere to modify the global ViewMode settings. The text in the main 'Settings' menu states that some of the submenus can be used for choosing the list modes, but that is not the case. Those settings seem to be 'blocked' from showing up in the skin, much like the commands that are blocked from the main menu in the latest PHT. (Or perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place, having forgot how I configured 'Wall' mode for global use on my newer computers... ;) If so, a 'heads-up' on where to find these configs would be appreciated.)

and some animation problems with channel/shared content views.

It's not just an animation problem. I tried several channels that work fine with 'Night' (even on PHT 1.0), but with the original new 'Plex' skin all playback of those channels' videos failed completely.

So basically the next version will be fully PHT 1.0 compatible and from that point on no longer working with versions below that.

That's both good and bad news. Good about the improved compatibility with the new version (obviously), but very bad news for anyone who wants to keep using PHT on a computer running WinXP (or Win2000/Win2003 server), since new PHT versions are not compatible with these OS.

This version bump gives me hope that we see a public release pretty soon.

That was the stated objective in the release post, so it probably will happen fairly soon.
    But I hope they improve some features before such a public release. (especially channels)

edited November 2013

update:

I'm making good progress, there are just a few outstanding bugs before I'm going to release a fully working version of night for PHT 1.0+ ... expect it in about 2-3 days!

cheers

P.S: does somebody know how to change the thread title? is it even possible without a mod?

btn_donate_SMgif

Night v1.0 is now ready to download ...

Known Issues:

• Recently Used - Channel Deck is not working correctly (could also crash PHT), looks like a PHT problem but I'm not sure yet ... Please use the channel page directly for accessing channels for now!
    • Search Page sometimes crashes, still some glitches ...

Release Notes:

• 9 Home Items are now default. If you used 9 items before v1.0 you will end up with 5 items on start, please re-adjust your skin settings.

Have Fun!

btn_donate_SMgif

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,098Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited November 2013
    bkury wrote on November 24 2013, 9:33 PM: »

P.S: does somebody know how to change the thread title? is it even possible without a mod?

Changed title for you, and the OSX path in the 7th post as it was incorrect.

Thanks for great work on the skin!

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
    atrus wrote on November 27 2013, 2:31 PM: »

Changed title for you, and the OSX path in the 7th post as it was incorrect.

Thanks for great work on the skin!

thanks!

while I'm already working on the next version, here is a sneak peek of the new dialog design I came up with which will be consistent across the whole skin. Hope you like it!

(New skin selection with black background on purpose to see it better)

btn_donate_SMgif

I suggest changing that simulated 'led/lcd-segment' font slightly, so that each "1" doesn't look like a "7".

• Stu1983Stu1983 Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

how are you supposed to name logos with : in windows, it says to use / but windows doesn't allow / in file names.

Is there no way this can be changed to load logo.png from the show directory like xbmc?

thanks
    Stu

Stu1983 wrote on December 9 2013, 9:05 PM: »

how are you supposed to name logos with : in windows, it says to use / but windows doesn't allow / in file names.

Is there no way this can be changed to load logo.png from the show directory like xbmc?

thanks
    Stu

Unfortunately there is no other way to do this with PHT but you can replace/remove the colon in the title via plex web ...

• Go to your Plex Server Web Frontend (http://plexserver:32400/web)
    • Select your TV Show (e.g. Terminator: The Sarah ...) and hit "Edit" in the left side menu
    • Remove the colon in the Title or replace it with something windows likes  (e.g. "Terminator, The Sarah ....")
    • Rename your logo filename accordingly

cya

btn_donate_SMgif

• maximus83maximus83 Posts: 23Members Plex Pass

Hi,

Great skin, by far my favourite so far for Plex. Just one issue that keeps bugging; I'm not sure if this is a skin issue or PHT. (sorry if I am repeating issues you are ware of)

With some movie Studio Logos the logo simply shows as a white block, seems to work with most (WB for example) but others always shows as a white block? do you know why this is?

One other thing I've noticed is when you click to view all unwatched for TV shows and I have it set up as Poster view for both tv show and seasons menu (works fine with clicking All shows), on unwatched once you click the show from poster view the seasons revert to list view apart from for the first tv show on my list.

maximus83 wrote on December 22 2013, 12:49 PM: »

Hi,

Great skin, by far my favourite so far for Plex. Just one issue that keeps bugging; I'm not sure if this is a skin issue or PHT. (sorry if I am repeating issues you are ware of)

With some movie Studio Logos the logo simply shows as a white block, seems to work with most (WB for example) but others always shows as a white block? do you know why this is?

Studio, Rating and Mediaflag Images are (normally) served by PMS and not by the skin itself. I'm pretty sure plex developers are aware of this issue ... maybe it's some kind of legal/permission issue or just not important enough to fix right now.

One other thing I've noticed is when you click to view all unwatched for TV shows and I have it set up as Poster view for both tv show and seasons menu (works fine with clicking All shows), on unwatched once you click the show from poster view the seasons revert to list view apart from for the first tv show on my list.

View states are also managed by PHT but I will look into this issue more deeply ...

Next Version Update:

I wanted to release a new version of the skin before christmas but there is still too much to do ... it's going to be a pretty big update (in terms of code changes), with lots of small fixes and some new features like filters, sorting, preplay screen, 5 different OSD modes, new styled dialogs/viewtype selection, new background customizer  to change/enable : kenburns effect, haze effect, fadetime between images, time per image, opacity, custom image, custom slideshow) and more ...

Happy Holidays everyone!

btn_donate_SMgif

• OP8OP8 Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Cant wait to test for a new version :) Keep up the good work!

• I just wanted to say thanks to bkury for all your hard work on this skin.  This was my favorite skin for XBMC when I was using it on my HTPC.  I was staying on PMC just for the sake of having a decent skin but now that I've found Night again I quickly upgraded all my clients to the latest PHT and the Night skin.  I can say that it is working flawlessly for me so far.  The animations/transitions are smooth.  The fanart and poster views are fantastic.  Thanks again!

Tony

edited January 2014

thanks guys!

small update: I guess that the new version will be ready in about 1-2 weeks, depending on how much free time I have to work on it ... in the meantime here is another screenshot of the new viewtype/filter/sort/options screen. (all dialogs shown, default accent color, some things might change in the final version)

v1.4.jpg 109.9K

btn_donate_SMgif

• zombianzombian Posts: 343Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you so much for your work on this skin. It really is in my opinion the best Plex skin Ive seen. Do you have any plans to add a pre play screen like in the default PHT skin?

A lie can get half way across the world before the truth even gets its shoes on.