If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Update Plex on Drobo

usutakiusutaki Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi guys,

Latest Drobo 5N appears to be 0.9.8.4.125. How can I upgrade from 0.9.7.26?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Best Answer

• lfk1lfk1 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass
    edited August 2013 Accepted Answer

You have to update it manually. Extract it to the folder on the Drobo itself. Make sure you have Winrar or 7zip or a similar extraction app that can handle .tgz files.

This is what I did :

1) Download the updated Plex file for the Drobo.

2) Stop the Drobo app from the Drobo Dashboard from running. (on left "Drobo Apps")

3) Extract all the files to \\DroboName\DroboApps\plex (make sure all files go in the plex folder)

4) Once all the files have been extracted (and/or replaced) restart the Drobo Plex app.

The default directory seems to have changed if you need to add another folder. Your shares for Plex should be located under /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/... You will have to navigate the directory to that area to gain access to your media.

Answers

edited August 2013 Accepted Answer

You have to update it manually. Extract it to the folder on the Drobo itself. Make sure you have Winrar or 7zip or a similar extraction app that can handle .tgz files.

This is what I did :

1) Download the updated Plex file for the Drobo.

2) Stop the Drobo app from the Drobo Dashboard from running. (on left "Drobo Apps")

3) Extract all the files to \\DroboName\DroboApps\plex (make sure all files go in the plex folder)

4) Once all the files have been extracted (and/or replaced) restart the Drobo Plex app.

The default directory seems to have changed if you need to add another folder. Your shares for Plex should be located under /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/... You will have to navigate the directory to that area to gain access to your media.

I just noticed that an "update" option showed up on the Drobo dashboard in the app section under plex after doing the above. Dont do it. It will revert you back to the old Version 0.9.7.26.

• SCDemanettSCDemanett Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Not sure about this method since it may mess up file permissions extracting and copying the app manually.

Personally I took the TGZ I downloaded from the Plex site and SSH'd into the Drobo 5N and ran
    Code:
    /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

It complained about not having an update.sh in the archive but it seemed to update and reflect the latest version number as well as work with my Plex clients.

From what I have read the app is in Drobo's Q/A and when approved will roll out to the Dashboard so I doubt the wait should be too much longer anyway.

I should also note that if you go the manual route the Dashboard doesn't seem to check version numbers properly and will say an update is available when in fact it is a downgrade to the current OLDER version currently available. Just as lfk1 has noted above.
  • usutakiusutaki Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks guys. That worked out well.

• TonyOCLTonyOCL Posts: 17Members ✭✭

I am trying to update my drobo app for plex because of audio sync problems.

I followed the first method and extracted the files and then put them in the droboapps\plex but the version number still shows up as 0.9.7.26.  Even restarted the drobo.

I am looking at the second method, but when I use putty to ssh to my drobo on port 22 it is refused.

Can someone tell me is SSH on port 22 also what directory should I be in to run the install command?  I am assuming the tgz file is to be in the same directory.

Thanks in Advance
    Tony

• DBinNYCDBinNYC Posts: 9Members ✭✭

First I uninstalled the copy that shipped with the 5N. Then, I simply dropped the .tar file into the DroboApps folder (mounted as an AFP share - i.e. afp://IPADDRESS/DroboApps) restarted the Drobo and it shows up as an app in need of install..

• roscoweroscowe Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

BTW Plex version 0.9.8.6 should be available through Drobo Dashboard, just click on the Plex App and an udate icon should show up. All you need to do is to click the update button.

• crzyicecrzyice Posts: 12Members

Hey guys check Drobo Dashboard yesterday, and a new build is available for Drobo 5N owners. 

• jimbob_sfjimbob_sf Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Wow.  What a messed up ride.  Someone, preferably a Plex or Drobo employee, needs to clearly lay this out for everyone.  Here's what I did to get things finally working:

1. Went to this site http://www.droboports.com/using-command-line-apps and downloaded dropbear and wget.  I have no idea if they were truly needed, but they are listed in the open paragraphs of how you get SSH working.

2. Downloaded Putty.  I've used that before, so no biggie.

3. Stop Plex service in DroboApps.

4. Using Putty, I opened a command line SSH to Drobo.  I used my fixed IP address, port 22, check SSH and used default settings.  Once the session opened, I used root/root to get a # prompt.

5.  Ran /bin/sh /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install.  It installed Plex.  It will complain about update.sh not found, but ignore it.  It will start Plex.

You are now all set.

6.  Once you are back in DroboApps, DO NOT press the update button if it is there.  It will update it to an older version.

Now - is this the only way or the proper way?  You got me.  All I know is that after hours of scouring the internet, I put it all together for others to not have to suffer.  If there was a thread already out there, than shame on me for not finding it.  I hope this helps someone.

• roscoweroscowe Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    @jimbob_sf Funny, shame on you then...

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=141632

o_0?

Agreed, SSH should be a default Drobo App, which would eliminate all this steps.

If you manually update the Plex PMS on the Drobo to 0.9.14, DO NOT click update, as this will cause the Drobo Dahboard to download the official release from Drobo which is a bit outdated (0.9.8.6).
  • FattyMoBookyButtFattyMoBookyButt Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2014
    DB NYC wrote on September 16 2013, 4:58 PM: »

First I uninstalled the copy that shipped with the 5N. Then, I simply dropped the .tar file into the DroboApps folder (mounted as an AFP share - i.e. afp://IPADDRESS/DroboApps) restarted the Drobo and it shows up as an app in need of install..

After installing Plex from the Drobo Dashboard and hoping for a recent release and not getting it, I followed this method.

First, I uninstalled the 0.9.8 from Drobo Apps in the dashboard. Then I copied my 0.9.9 download from plex.tv to \\DROBO\DroboApps directory. (I renamed my Drobo5N to 'drobo'.)  And I restarted drobo from the Tools section. On reboot, it automatically installed Plex, no popups or anything. It does still say there is an update available in the Drobo Apps section. (And I'm not going to click it.)

I had to reconfigure everything for PMS...is there a way in the future to prevent that? (Saving certain config files, etc?) If I update from Drobo Apps in the future, does it wipe out the Plex server before installing the new version as well?

Okay, I just re-read the selected answer here. And if I extract on top of the existing install, it sounds like it'll behave like a normal upgrade?

Edit: no need to extract, just follow the next post's 3 or 5 step directions and you'll get a full update without any reconfiguring. I did steps 1-3 and it worked without issue. (Stop Plex Server on Drobo dashboard, copy plex.tgz to DroboApps folder, reboot.)

• SCDemanettSCDemanett Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2014
    FattyMoBookyButt wrote on March 21 2014, 2:59 PM: »

After installing Plex from the Drobo Dashboard and hoping for a recent release and not getting it, I followed this method.

First, I uninstalled the 0.9.8 from Drobo Apps in the dashboard. Then I copied my 0.9.9 download from plex.tv to \\DROBO\DroboApps directory. (I renamed my Drobo5N to 'drobo'.)  And I restarted drobo from the Tools section. On reboot, it automatically installed Plex, no popups or anything. It does still say there is an update available in the Drobo Apps section. (And I'm not going to click it.)

I had to reconfigure everything for PMS...is there a way in the future to prevent that? (Saving certain config files, etc?) If I update from Drobo Apps in the future, does it wipe out the Plex server before installing the new version as well?

Okay, I just re-read the selected answer here. And if I extract on top of the existing install, it sounds like it'll behave like a normal upgrade?

What I have found to work the best for updates is as follows:

1. Open the Drobo Dashboard and stop the Plex Server application
    2. Copy the "plex.tgz" to the root of the DroboApps folder
    3. Reboot the Drobo via Dashboard - DONE (If you prefer not to or can't reboot, proceed to step 4)
    4. Login via SSH (requires Dropbear or OpenSSH to be installed first, can be done using the above 3 steps)
    5. Run the command
    6. /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

​It will say something about not finding an update.sh but it installs or I should say updates without overwriting or resetting any settings. After the update is done it will restart the application then just close out of whatever SSH tool you are using the refresh the Plex web UI to verify the version.

I personally go down the SSH method to bring the server back up quickly but either way will work just as well.

SCDemanett wrote on August 12 2014, 8:26 PM: »

What I have found to work the best for updates is as follows:

1. Open the Drobo Dashboard and stop the Plex Server application
    2. Copy the "plex.tgz" to the root of the DroboApps folder
    3. Reboot the Drobo via Dashboard - DONE

I updated my drobo to 0.9.9.15 last night and went the reboot route and it updated the server and kept all my metadata intact. Awesome.

Thanks again all.

• MrOverStMrOverSt Posts: 21Members ✭✭

Can someone answer one simple question. How do i convert a .tar file to a .tgz file on a mac. It funny all these directions on how to manually install apps on a drobo but not one of you mention this important detail. 

You simply say "Copy the "plex.tgz" to the root of the DroboApps folder”. But NEVER mention where to get the .tgz file from. In the download section of this very site, whenever i click download it gives me a plex.tar file. What am i supposed to do with this? A little freaking help for a noob would be nice. I’ve asked this question several times before and now my frustrations are starting to boil over. PLEASE, someone answer my question. Im starting to think its because I’m not a plex pass member or something. Or maybe i need to be a member of the illuminati...

Any who if someone can please answer my question. I’d be forever grateful i didn’t have to give up my first born to learn how to manually install the plex update on my drobo.

Ok i just placed the plex.tar file in the root directory of the droboapps folder and rebooted.... Nothing. Then i placed the plex.tar file in the directory again but this time i changed the .tar extension to .tgz and rebooted. When the drobo came to, the plex.tar file i placed in there was gone. But when i clicked the configure tab drobo dashboard it said the the version was still 0.9.9.7.  

Ok, so i finally got the update to install by extracting the contents into the plex folder in the droboapps directory and rebooting. Now the plex app will not start. Anyone have any clues on what may be going wrong?

• caltraskcaltrask Posts: 138Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    MrOverSt wrote on September 18 2014, 8:42 PM: »

Ok, so i finally got the update to install by extracting the contents into the plex folder in the droboapps directory and rebooting. Now the plex app will not start. Anyone have any clues on what may be going wrong?

For me I have to press the "start" button 2-3 times for it to say that the application is running.

edited September 2014
    MrOverSt wrote on September 18 2014, 8:14 PM: »

You simply say "Copy the "plex.tgz" to the root of the DroboApps folder”. But NEVER mention where to get the .tgz file from. In the download section of this very site, whenever i click download it gives me a plex.tar file.

https://plex.tv/downloads

If you click on "NAS", then "Drobo", it should provide you with a plex.tgz file. I'd guesstimate that's why it's not working for you so far.

This is the full URL I get right now for (public/not plexpass) Version 0.9.9.14.531-7eef8c6:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.9.14.531-7eef8c6/plex.tgz

Okay, now I'm really intrigued...where'd you find a .tar file? I went through all the Plex Media Server downloads and couldn't find a .tar file anywhere. 

• bartekmbartekm Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok, so for anyone that's stuck, particularly you @MrOverSt, what is happening is that when you download a tgz file with Safari, then it will convert it to a .tar file. Placing this file (or the extracted version) into the droboapps folder won't help you.

You need to download via chrome, or turn off the 'open safe files after downloading' option in Safari general preferences.

• macmuchmoremacmuchmore Posts: 1Members

This was still happening earlier this year - however, it seems to be fixed. Yesterday, I clicked the update button for Plex in the drobo dashboard, and it updated to the newest version of Plex, and did not revert to the version my drobo 5N shipped with. Hazah!

@lfk1 said:
    I just noticed that an "update" option showed up on the Drobo dashboard in the app section under plex after doing the above. Dont do it. It will revert you back to the old Version 0.9.7.26.