If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to manually install the Plex App

elanelan CTO and Co-founderMauiPosts: 6,978Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited July 2015 in Drobo
There are several ways to install a Drobo App onto the Drobo 5N. 

From your host connect to the DroboApps share using explorer for Windows, finder for Mac, and command-line if using Linux (e.g. afp://[DroboIP]/DroboApps.) If you get prompted to authenticate to this network share, you should provide the Drobo Dashboard admin username and password.

Once connected to this share, place the Plex.tgz file to be installed onto this share.

Notice that nothing has happened to this file, this is because the Drobo hasn’t been instructed to install this application. If you already have access to the Drobo via SSH, you could just execute the following command
/bin/sh /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

If SSH access is not yet enabled, a reboot of the Drobo should be sufficient. Upon boot, Drobo will look into the DroboApps share to see if there are any applications that need to be installed. Once the unsupported Drobo App is installed, it will show up in Drobo Dashboard.

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

Comments

• CinderbyteCinderbyte Posts: 1Members

FYI: on the authentication prompt (when accessing from windows explorer), you may need to enter the following username for access:

Username:   .\admin

Password: *****

The period & backslash before the username is important.

• e23e23 Posts: 38Members ✭✭

Does this overwrite a previous installation?

I have installed Plex with Drobo Dashboard but the version is not recent. So I just need to update. Will this work without deleting my Library data?

• trkevigtrkevig Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The drobo 5N doesnt have a drobo apps folder on the drives like maybe other models have so where do i put the plex.tgz file please?

Thanks

• caltraskcaltrask Posts: 139Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2015
    trkevig wrote on February 21 2015, 7:37 PM: »

The drobo 5N doesnt have a drobo apps folder on the drives like maybe other models have so where do i put the plex.tgz file please?

Thanks

With the introduction of Dashboard 2.5.x, the "DroboApps" share is no longer visible in Dashboard; however, one can manually access or map the share, as described in this KB article (e.g. \\<IP of the Drobo-5N>\DroboApps).

The KB article: http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/464

If you have already installed Plex make sure you have stopped it from running in the DroboApps section of the Dashboard. Once you have access to your DroboApps folder, using the above instructions, then you need to copy/cut & paste the plex.tgz file into it. Reboot your Drobo and start up the Plex app.

• JoshuaTranJoshuaTran Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was able to successfully manually update my Plex Media Server on my Drobo 5N from version 0.9.11.4 to 0.9.11.7 using this post. 

To make things a little easier I'll combine everything I used into this one post.

Please note:

I'm using a Drobo 5N (dashboard version 2.6.4 [72278]) for my NAS Plex Media Server and I'm connecting to the DroboApps share using a PC running Win7. 

1) Download the version 0.9.11.7 .tgz Plex Media Server file: https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.11.7.803-87d0708/plex.tgz

2) Stop all Plex streams/updates and go into the Drobo dashboard and stop the Plex App via DroboApps

3) Go into My Computer on your PC and map a new network drive

4) Choose a drive letter you want it to be and enter \\<DroboIP>\DroboApps in the folder field and click OK. (Where <DroboIP> is the IP of your Drobo)

5) If asked for authentication enter .\admin as the username and what ever your Drobo admin password is for the passworkd

6) DroboApps should now be networked and accessible. Copy/Paste the .tgz file you downloaded into the networked DroboApps folder

7) Go back to the Drobo Dashboard and under tools, restart your Drobo

At this point, your Drobo will restart and it should unpack and install the .tgz automatically. 

You'll still need to go in and manually start the Plex App again via the DroboApps section in the Drobo Dashboard. 

One final thing to note, you'll have the "update" option now for your Plex App in DroboApps. 

DO NOT run the update. It will revert you back to version 0.9.11.4 and you'll have to do this manual process all over again. 

For some reason, the Drobo Plex App does not track the Plex Media Server update accurately. 

The best way to know if you're up-to-date or not is to use the Plex Browser Interface and check via the settings section.

I hope this helps. 

• PfaltzgraphPfaltzgraph Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    e23 wrote on January 24 2015, 3:57 PM: »

Does this overwrite a previous installation?

I have installed Plex with Drobo Dashboard but the version is not recent. So I just need to update. Will this work without deleting my Library data?

I too am curious on this. Drobo sure does take it's sweet time rolling out updates and even then, they are usually a version behind. I would like to manually run the update, however, I'm worried that it will wipe all my settings out. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've got a lot of specific settings in there that I would hate to lose, not to mention having to start all over with all my libraries.

Thanks.

• caltraskcaltrask Posts: 139Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Pfaltzgraph wrote on March 17 2015, 12:11 PM: »

I too am curious on this. Drobo sure does take it's sweet time rolling out updates and even then, they are usually a version behind. I would like to manually run the update, however, I'm worried that it will wipe all my settings out. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've got a lot of specific settings in there that I would hate to lose, not to mention having to start all over with all my libraries.

Thanks.

Updating Plex manually will not overwrite the Data/library folder; i.e. your library and settings are safe. I, like many others, have been doing this for months and never had it happen.

caltrask wrote on March 18 2015, 7:08 PM: »

Updating Plex manually will not overwrite the Data/library folder; i.e. your library and settings are safe. I, like many others, have been doing this for months and never had it happen.

Thanks!!! Glad to get first hand information on that. I will give it a try.

*update*

I don't know why I was so nervous trying this. I put the downloaded server update in the "DroboApps" folder, rebooted it and VOILA!...updated. :) couldn't have been easier. Now I don't have to wait for the devs at Drobo to push the updates. I can finally be on track! Years getting frustrated waiting for the latest release with cool new features are finally behind me!

• maddly2002maddly2002 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

Tried downloading the new version of Plex for Drobo directly several times on two different laptops - one Windows 7 and one Mac. Get about 30 MB and then "plex.tgz failed Network error"

Over and over and over............

• quaanquaan Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just followed the instructions. using windows 8.1 worked perfectly. updated to 0.9.12.1

Mac mini 2.5GHz i5 16GB DDR3, Drobo5N 20TB Onkyo NR-5008, Definitive speakers 1000, Samsung LED 3D240Hz, Logitech Harmony 1100
  • Pevans1331Pevans1331 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My Plex will not update for some reason. Why they haven't fix it to do it automatically?

• asaltschulasaltschul Posts: 4Members ✭✭
    edited July 2015

My server says an update is available.
    I open another browser window and navigate to plex.tv/downloads and pick the version for my Drobo 5N
    I downloaded the update for Drobo 5N version 0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21
    I stopped the app from running on the Drobo.
    I am on Mac, and it changes the filename to .tar when I download it, so I renamed it back to plex.tgz
    I copied the file to the DroboApps directory, rebooted the drobo, and started the App again.
    When I go to the server app, it still says I am on the 0.9.11.16 version, and that an "update is available." I checked the DroboApps directory, and the file I copied there is gone, so it did something.
    Also, if I go back to Drobo Dashboard and look at Drobo Apps, it never gives an option to update the software (which I know I am not supposed to do because it would roll me back.)

Any ideas what is going on? It seems like it isn't updating correctly.

• skoesterskoester Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

**********Update! ****FIXED**** See the following post!!!**********

Somewhat similar situation as asaltschul above....
    (running Mac host : server on Drobo5N)

Downloaded the plex.tgz file (Version 0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39)
    Went into the Drobo via Finder
    Placed the plex.tgz file into the 'DroboApps' folder
    Went into Drobo Dashboard, stopped Plex Server, rebooted Drobo5N
    Upon reboot, went back into Apps section of Drobo Dashboard
    An 'update' option is now available.... I select this, and it proceeds to update
    When finished, I start the server back up by selecting 'start' in that same drobo apps section of Dashboard

....And it still says the same version is installed (Version 0.9.11.16), and still tells me an update is available.

Tried this 2 times, with same result.

• skoesterskoester Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Problem solved. Didn't realize the reboot auto-installed the new version. Saw on above post that hitting "update" in Drobo Dashboard will revert you to a previous version (whatever the last version is that Drobo has pushed out). Do what is stated above making sure NOT TO HIT UPDATE once the Drobo reboots!

whew

• justinsharrowjustinsharrow Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Thank you!
    This was driving me mad.

Drag & drop update download (.tgz file) into DroboApps folder
    Stop Plex app in Drobo Dashboard
    Restart Drobo
    Start Plex app in Drobo Dashboard
    DO NOT UPDATE PLEX APP - doing so will revert it back to old version.

• BradleyJhindsBradleyJhinds Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Im Having issue with the plex app updating as well i have done

1: Downloading the Plex.tgz to drobo share
    2: Restart Drobo
    3: Open Drobo Apps (Plex shows it need updating)
    4: Press Update Icon
    5: Log into plex server still Version 0.9.11.16

This is frustrating me because drobo5n doesnt do automatic updates and that ive now updated my plex ios app i can no longer use it on my phone as it tells me it need updating.

Any other suggestions on how to resolve this???????????

Didnt read above but "Skoester" sounds like he got it covered FAIL

REPOSTED FIX!!

Thank you!
    This was driving me mad. (US ALL MAD AHA)

Drag & drop update download (.tgz file) into DroboApps folder
    Stop Plex app in Drobo Dashboard
    Restart Drobo
    Start Plex app in Drobo Dashboard
    DO NOT UPDATE PLEX APP - doing so will revert it back to old version.

Credit to Guys/Girls Above, Equality as its best

• JFMarkhamJFMarkham Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do I tell which version of the server software is running on my Drobo. I have followed the install instructions but see no easy way to tell if it has been successful? Thanks in advance