Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for WP8 - Third party client

foxingworthfoxingworth Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Like many of you, I am sad to see that the WP7 Plex client is in such a neglected state. I am a developer however, and after looking over the Plex API, I have decided to create my own third party client.

I just finished my proof-of-concept which signs into MyPlex, retrieves library information, and plays a transcoded video from the server. Now I will begin the long process of refining the interface and adding features (PlexSync is first on the list, if I can figure out how the API works for it  :) ).

What I'm looking for from you guys is what you are looking for in a Plex client. What do you like / not like about the WP7 client? I'll admit that I'm not the best with UI, so please provide some ideas on how you'd like the app to look. For those with the artistic touch, I'd love to see your mockups.

Note: This is not my full time job. I am serious about the project, but will only be able to work on it in my free time. When it is time to beta test, I will gladly recruit people from these forums, but please be patient if it takes me awhile to get to that stage.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jaap_van_EkrisJaap_van_Ekris Posts: 371Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I personally like the look of the Windows 8 client. Especially the views with movie posters is pretty cool. What I really am missing is subtitles. I think that calling the right transcoder would suffice, but for many people it is needed.

There is another developer considering to work on a client: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/64415-is-there-any-development-here/?p=450000. Sharing the load might be an option...

Jaap

• jdbrookesjdbrookes Posts: 447Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is great news!

Plexsync would be a great primary feature for your app as obviously the WP7 app lacks this.

What I would really like in an app:

• Ability to filter Movies but also tv shows, eg watched, unwatched, on deck, by collection, by actor etc. Not available in WP7 app.
    • Ability to pin said filtered list to the start menu or to Kids Corner. My usage scenario here is the ability to pin a custom collection of Disney movies to Kids Corner or the latest TV episodes in my Plex library to the Start screen
    • Easy ability to set watched / unwatched status for episodes, seasons etc (perhaps using multi select boxes in lists?)
    • Ability to set the quality on the fly when watching transcoded video. This is similar to the new android app where you can pull up a menu during playback and change the bitrate for streamed video. Particularly handy if you're in a location with slow Wifi or 3G

Best of luck with the development, and if you need any beta testers please PM me here! Microsoft have extended their discount on the developer registration fee so it's still only about 10 bucks annually to publish apps. You can publish an app as beta so that only testers who have supplied their Microsoft account id (usually a hotmail address) can install the beta - handy for testing.

• JenkTJ27JenkTJ27 Posts: 40Members
    I can test also. Thank you for your effort on this.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
  • ZorpleyZorpley Posts: 6Members

Glad to hear it! I also really would like PlexSync. The one other feature that's lacking is a shuffle all button for music, and the ability to play all songs by an artist rather than just one album. Basically more like the default XBox music app.

• evanrodgeevanrodge Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wish you the best of luck. I'm really enjoying my switch to Windows Phone, and one of the few things I'm missing is an updated Plex app.

• justinhowjustinhow Posts: 158Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ability to pin albums etc. to the Start Screen would be great

• etgalimetgalim Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Great idea!

I'm a UX/UI designer and I can help. If my help is needed  B)

Shame on PLEX for not working an update for the app.

I know there's not yet been any discussion of whether this app (should it eventually be released) will be paid / free or what have you. Can I recommend though that the Try / Buy model on Windows Phone seems to meet with a lot of success. You offer the app for a few euro with a non-time-limited trial, and much like the Plexpass system here you can opt to Buy the app in order to unlock advanced features such as Plexsync, pinning to start or whatever.

Nextgen Reader does something like this - the app is well featured but if you want advanced features like Pocket integration then you need to buy the app.

jdbrookes wrote on September 14 2013, 12:03 PM: »

I know there's not yet been any discussion of whether this app (should it eventually be released) will be paid / free or what have you. Can I recommend though that the Try / Buy model on Windows Phone seems to meet with a lot of success. You offer the app for a few euro with a non-time-limited trial, and much like the Plexpass system here you can opt to Buy the app in order to unlock advanced features such as Plexsync, pinning to start or whatever.

Nextgen Reader does something like this - the app is well featured but if you want advanced features like Pocket integration then you need to buy the app.

Another option is the model used by Grasshopper (Z-Wave UI), which is unlimited in any way when in trial mode, but has ads to support development. If you want the ads to go away, you pay some euro's (in their case a pretty steep price of 8,5 euro's). I would be happy to pay 5 euro's for a decent working client that is on par with the current Windows 8 version.

Jaap

• foxingworthfoxingworth Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't quite decided how to monetize the app yet. I'm leaning towards either a free app with basic Plex functionality (streaming from a server) and then having in-app purchases to unlock advanced features like PlexSync, or charging a minimal flat fee for the app that has all functionality included. I would rather avoid using the ad model, since I hate using apps that stick ads all over the place.

I'm not making this app to make tons of money, so whatever I choose will be priced very reasonably.

As for progress, it's going slow but steady. I'll keep everyone updated.

• talontariotalontario Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you need any testers I'm available. L920.

I'm not making this app to make tons of money, so whatever I choose will be priced very reasonably.

That being said, I will definitely buy it. Not to get extra functionality, but to support you for your great initiative.

Jaap
  • foxingworthfoxingworth Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

With the new official WP8 app announced, I am going to put my third party client on hold. Huzzah to an update!

I suppose you can't argue with that! But let's just keep an eye on this new official client; if it's total pants then we'll still need an awesome 3rd party effort. You might even be able to release it as a library manager / remote for other plex players (if this is an area lacking support in the official app). Thanks for the efforts so far anyway!

• JenkTJ27JenkTJ27 Posts: 40Members
    Looks like it is lacking the library manager for other plex players, I.e. Rasplex. The remote GUI is even gone. On other apps, such as Plex foe Windows 8, now has a second screen feature, but it does not work well yet.

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk