Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can you Sync watched status between servers?

bobsilverbobsilver Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Pro Installer Posts: 74 Plex Employee

Hey Guys I hope you can help answer this.  I have 2 homes where I have Plex servers setup.  Basically have similar media on both.  What I need is my watched status to sync between the servers.  Meaning if I watch 30 Rock Season 3 Episode 1 on Server 1 it syncs via My Plex login on server 2.  What I do not want is to stream frpm server 1 to server 2.  I want to play my local content at each location but have it know that I watched 30 Rock Season 3 Episode 1 both locations know this.

Plex seems to do everything but this.  I am missing something?  Or is it not possible to do what I want.

This is important as when I travel I use my laptop as a Plex server for my ipads and again in multiple homes.  Right now I have towrite this stuff down.  A real pain.

Bob Silver

Comments

• dane22dane22 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,999 Plex Ninja

Not possible...They each have their own database

/Tommy

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• olavjuniorolavjunior Members Posts: 15
    Robert Silver wrote on August 30 2013, 9:24 PM: »

Hey Guys I hope you can help answer this.  I have 2 homes where I have Plex servers setup.  Basically have similar media on both.  What I need is my watched status to sync between the servers.  Meaning if I watch 30 Rock Season 3 Episode 1 on Server 1 it syncs via My Plex login on server 2.  What I do not want is to stream frpm server 1 to server 2.  I want to play my local content at each location but have it know that I watched 30 Rock Season 3 Episode 1 both locations know this.

Plex seems to do everything but this.  I am missing something?  Or is it not possible to do what I want.

This is important as when I travel I use my laptop as a Plex server for my ipads and again in multiple homes.  Right now I have towrite this stuff down.  A real pain.

Bob Silver

I'm missing this feature as well!

I have multiple servers: one in my theater room as a main server, and one on my macbook that I take along on trips (with my small passport hd), and one at the cabin that I connect my passport hd to when I want to watch movies. So it would be pretty convenient if myplex would sync the watched status on a user basis, regardless of servers/shares. 

• burtonisburtonis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass
    I have a similar situation - I have plex servers at my home, and both sets of grandparents (wife and mine) which have the same set of media (shows for the kids mainly) which I would like to keep the watched status synced. At home, I actually have two machines (NAS and media computer) set up referring to the same set of files (located on the NAS).

It would also be useful for syncing to use closest/most available (eg the media computer at home) for transcoding/converting and syncing.

eg:
    We (well, the kids) watch Fireman Sam S06E03 at home, from the NAS
    Watched status is synced to media PC and the grandparents' (both) NASs and MIDs
    MID (pick one - android/iDevice) syncs S06E04 after transcoding on the closest "transcode preferred" server (the Media PC)
    We watch S06E04 at one of the grandparents place
    Watched status is synced to other devices
    MID syncs S06E05 off the local NAS (which also does the transcoding)

It's a fairly complex setup (I have), but incorporating/leveraging something like Torrent Sync (http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html) could allow just changed data (even transcoded files?) to leverage the best/closest
    server in this "cloud" environment.
    At the moment, I have to manually keep all the watch statusses (statii?) manually in sync, and I reguarly mark the wrong files watched/unwatched because the same collections are on all servers (eg TV on NAS1, TV on NAS2, TV on NAS3, TV on MPC)

I would envisage settings like
    - "Synchronise this media across multiple servers" (since the servers already know about each other)
    - "Synchronise watched status across multiple servers"
    - "Transcode preference" (local/global)
    - "Synchronise transcoded files"

Since there's already a sync profile, I wouldn't think it hard to modify it to extend to server-server communications?
  • BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,557 Plex Employee
    Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • shimsimshimsim Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

+1 on this feature. I have a server at home and one at my gf's apartment. I sync the content on both using Btsync, so seems strange that there should not be a feature to simply update watched items. 

That wiki entry is just useful for a one time copy, but dont think its going to work well on a daily basis. Anyone know a better way to keep 2 servers watched items synced ?

I have been playing with trakt (http://trakt.tv/downloads/plex), 3rd party site for tracking everything you watch. Once you install the plugin, you can upload all your watched info to their site, then download it back to another server.

Its not an ideal solution, but it does the job. The fact that a 3rd party app can do this, makes me wonder even more why this is built into Plex. It seems fairly to implement and there must be loads of other people that have more than one server.

• adayforgottenadayforgotten Members, Plex Pass Posts: 27 Plex Pass

Bump. I have multiple servers, as well as duplicate content as some servers which are shared with me. Unique items should sync watched status across servers.

• jaskohljaskohl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass
    shimsim wrote on November 10 2013, 11:05 AM: »

I have been playing with trakt (http://trakt.tv/downloads/plex), 3rd party site for tracking everything you watch. Once you install the plugin, you can upload all your watched info to their site, then download it back to another server.

Its not an ideal solution, but it does the job. The fact that a 3rd party app can do this, makes me wonder even more why this is built into Plex. It seems fairly to implement and there must be loads of other people that have more than one server.

I second this as I have multiple servers as well as an XBMC machine which they all sync together. 

• seer_tenedosseer_tenedos Members, Plex Pass Posts: 27 Plex Pass

This is a feature i really need as well.  I use cloud as a media source and run local plex servers so this would be ideal

• HypKinHypKin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 36 Plex Pass

why are you not using the sync and user features instead?

having multiple plex servers with the same content somehow defeats the purpose of plex...

• strawberrycornettostrawberrycornetto Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass
    I understand the logic of a single server and the built in sync features and user accounts however let's just throw one variable in the mix.
    What if you have two houses (family members or otherwise) with extremely limited upload bandwidth, such as satellite internet/3g or rural dsl.
    Truthfully even UK cable internet connections aren't really that suitable for multiple hd streams, especially with the upload traffic management policies that virgin media impose.
    Has anyone had any success using trakt to sync multiple shared users across multiple servers?
    Cheers
    flipdee

As flipdee pointed out, in principle a single server is the way to go, but what if you have terrible bandwidth or you have 2 homes and want a system that does not depend on a solid internet connection, then a single server just doesnt work. Having 2 servers and copies of your media also provides redundancy. There are probably other good reasons which I cant think of right now, but having a playlist in the clouds or at least one that is on more that one server makes a lot of sense. Again, I have been using trakt for this, which solves the problem but is not perfect and some builds didnt work that well, so it would be great if plex looked into offering something similar.

• kodeblakkodeblak Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

This is definitely a feature I need. I spend 2 weeks at a time living in 3 different locations all connected to each other with a VPN. Each location has a Plex server with its own DB. I carry an external HD to update each location's media as I move around. All locations have limited bandwidth and one has a 500MB a day upload and download quota so it's impractical to stream from one server to the other. At the moment I'm using trakt to sync the locations. The trakt plugin doesn't appear to work on one of my QNAP servers though so this is a pain.

What I'm looking for is to having the DB in the cloud or hosted on one of the servers and having the rest connect to and update that DB with watched/unwatched status. Hopefully this will also keep the On Deck status up to date between the servers too.

• sonofwattsonofwatt Members, Plex Pass Posts: 92 Plex Pass

+1

Q6600, 8GB RAM, FlexRAID (2PPU, 8x1TB DRUs) Server 2012

• vertigo235vertigo235 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass
    Can this be accomplished with the trakt plugin?
    vertigo235 wrote on February 18 2015, 3:00 AM: »

Can this be accomplished with the trakt plugin?

Its been working for me, not perfect, but gets the job done.

• JollyPotatoWaterJollyPotatoWater Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    kodeblak wrote on January 26 2015, 4:36 AM: »

This is definitely a feature I need. I spend 2 weeks at a time living in 3 different locations all connected to each other with a VPN. Each location has a Plex server with its own DB. I carry an external HD to update each location's media as I move around. All locations have limited bandwidth and one has a 500MB a day upload and download quota so it's impractical to stream from one server to the other. At the moment I'm using trakt to sync the locations. The trakt plugin doesn't appear to work on one of my QNAP servers though so this is a pain.

What I'm looking for is to having the DB in the cloud or hosted on one of the servers and having the rest connect to and update that DB with watched/unwatched status. Hopefully this will also keep the On Deck status up to date between the servers too.

If you made sure the Media files were stored in the same location on each server you could probably just move the plex database file with you (com.plexapp.plugins.library.db).This would also move all the plex data so you would not need to load the new files into plex. I would definitall y make a back up first as i have no idea if this will actually work. 

• cfmatrecfmatre Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

+2 :)>- Its time to implement this!

For the most part i plex directly from my WD nas, witch does not have the muscle to trans code. So for some of my content, i need to wake my pc and plex via that. The source is still the nas, but then i have two databases at home 8-|

• edmondenacheedmondenache Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited December 2015

I don't know if works but it might worth a try. Put the PMS database (all the folder) in cloud (dropbox if you have enough space or anything that doesn't limit the file size or the the file extensions. For each server direct the DB to the same cloud folder.

It might behave odd if users are watching same content on different locations but if not, it might work quite well.

I'm curious if anyone can try this with success.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,751 Plex Ninja
    edited December 2015

@edmondenache said:
    I don't know if works but it might worth a try. Put the PMS database (all the folder) in cloud

Very bad idea. You can't even use the Plex database over a local area network without the risk of database corruption, let alone an internet connection.

The only way to sync 'watched' status between several servers is to use the Trakt.tv plugin.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging