If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DTS Audio with Serenity

kingargylekingargyle Posts: 568Members ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Serenity for Android

I know several people like to have DTS audio.  Also several are using MX Player as an external player.   MX Player by default does not have DTS audio enabled due to licensing restrictions by the makers of DTS.   But if you have MX Player 1.7.19, you can now enable DTS audio support by installing a custom codec.   Follow the instructions at the XDA developers forum to get this to work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2156254

Hope this helps some out.

Update:  Dolby Digital has been removed from MX Player and is now in the custom code.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-custom-codec-dts-support-t2156254

Comments

• TJBTJB Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Good information there.  I found that very useful to use.

• kingargylekingargyle Posts: 568Members ✭✭

Time to resurrect this post a bit.  Latest version of MX Player supports D-Pad controls.  Which makes it the best external player to use with Serenity on Android 4.x or above devices.   You should never have to transcode again, and if selected as the prefered external player in Serenity, all your Plex metada will be updates as well, so you can pause and resume on another device.

• bruce73bruce73 Posts: 6Members
    I've installed MX Player, but I can't navigate to the settings option that allows me to install the DTS codec. I don't have a D-Pad, I'm just using the FTV remote, but can't scroll all the way down on that page. The focus won't jump down into the bottom section.
    bruce73 wrote on August 11 2014, 10:07 PM: »

I've installed MX Player, but I can't navigate to the settings option that allows me to install the DTS codec. I don't have a D-Pad, I'm just using the FTV remote, but can't scroll all the way down on that page. The focus won't jump down into the bottom section.

Your best bet for help with that and for the scrolling issue is to ask on the MX Player forums.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player

• animosity022animosity022 Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hmm. Was testing this out without much luck.

I got the codec installed. I tried with a MKV file with DTS and no love. I tried with a MP4 with AC3 5.1 and no love either.

Was hoping to make my FireTV useful again with Plex.

Not sure if others had any different results.

• mjbxxmjbxx Dedicated Member Posts: 920Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2014
    animosity022 wrote on August 13 2014, 2:25 AM: »

Hmm. Was testing this out without much luck.

I got the codec installed. I tried with a MKV file with DTS and no love. I tried with a MP4 with AC3 5.1 and no love either.

Was hoping to make my FireTV useful again with Plex.

Not sure if others had any different results.

Following what @kingargyle stated above, take all MX Player DTS and AC3 5.1 audio codec issues to the MX Player Forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player) as the developer, @bleu8888, is actively attentive to any issues regarding his app.

• coops1967coops1967 Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2014

Dts on mx player and serenity thru my Minix Neo x8-h works perfectly - the latest mx player version d-pad support is also ideal.

ps sorry to state the obvious - but you did select SW audio decoding in the settings?

• animosity022animosity022 Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    coops1967 wrote on August 13 2014, 6:50 AM: »

Dts on mx player and serenity thru my Minix Neo x8-h works perfectly - the latest mx player version d-pad support is also ideal.

ps sorry to state the obvious - but you did select SW audio decoding in the settings?

Please ask the obvious as it is usually the simplest of things that tend to cause problems.

I did select the SW audio decoding in the settings. I ended up posting on the XDA forums and I think it goes back to the FireTV not support DTS, which causes the audio to be mixed down to stereo.

I was just looking for some alternatives with the FireTV and getting some surround sound.

Appreciate the reply :)

Well, you won't get pass through for DTS.  If on the FireTV, you install XBMC, and set it as the Default System Player.  You can get at least DTS and AC-3 that way.   However with Serenity using XBMC you won't have plex metadata updated after playback.   Currently only MX Player and ViMu provide the necessary information back to Serenity so it can update it.

Hopefully, Amazon implements Passthrough support in a future update.

Dolby Digital has been removed from MX Player and now needs to be included via a custom codec.

• WurtzelSeppWurtzelSepp Posts: 42Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I dont think u need an decoder if u have an reciver with dts and dd support u need a funktion to pass it through

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,984Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    DerSepp wrote on December 21 2014, 10:54 PM: »

I dont think u need an decoder if u have an reciver with dts and dd support u need a funktion to pass it through

That is correct but the only Apps that give DTS/DD through passthrough do not return playback information to the media server so you lose play states and watched status.  In addition, 7.1 passthrough currently won't work on the FireTV due to a limitation in the number of audio lanes is opened up through the HDMI channel.  So you will be limited to the 5.1 Core track.  

Neither Serenity nor Plex have any control over what the internal video player or the external video player will passthrough/decode and even the external player developers are limited to an extent.

• WurtzelSeppWurtzelSepp Posts: 42Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes but that is i think not sutch a big problem than having no really plex option for 5.1 sound on these devices and all HIFI can decode that audi as is meant to do it.

A pass thgrough should not be so hard to do. And on FIRE TV u should hav the option to use FIBER is u realy want to get 7.1 pass through. 

Dolby is only certified to HW players ans only some software i think in combination with HW such as power DVD on pc.

So if u can get it certified do it just mak it 10buks and fine until then the pass through should not be the probelem. 

And maybe u can tell me why to transcode anything for playing on firetv? (I mean the VIdeo) if u can handle the Videcodecs it should not be a problem too.

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,984Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited December 2014
    DerSepp wrote on December 22 2014, 10:00 AM: »

Yes but that is i think not sutch a big problem than having no really plex option for 5.1 sound on these devices and all HIFI can decode that audi as is meant to do it.

Plex or Serenity have no control of the player, Amazon does as it is built into FireOS.  But even with that  5.1 does work in MP4 containers. (At least AC3/eAC3)

A pass thgrough should not be so hard to do. 

Again, see above.  Amazon controls the standard player which has no passthrough, and then if you use an External player that player is responsible for the passthrough.  But as I stated they are limited to how/what they can pass through as well due to FireOS/AndroidOS limitations.

And on FIRE TV u should hav the option to use FIBER is u realy want to get 7.1 pass through. 

Are you referring to the optical out?  Optical is limited to 5.1.  To use 7.1 you have to use HDMI.  However, once again the FireOS/AndroidOS limitations prevent that.

Dolby is only certified to HW players ans only some software i think in combination with HW such as power DVD on pc.

So if u can get it certified do it just mak it 10buks and fine until then the pass through should not be the probelem.

Dolby certification isn't only to HW players.  Movie studios pay for Dolby Certification, Software players pay for it (Including Microsoft for Windows Media Player licenses), and many other things.  Dolby doesn't release an actual pricelist so there is no telling how much it would cost.  But that doesn't matter since Amazon is the one that controls/limits what the standard media player has the ability to do either decoding or passthrough.  And if you're using an external player you need to talk to their development team about implementing passthrough/additional codecs.

And maybe u can tell me why to transcode anything for playing on firetv? (I mean the VIdeo) if u can handle the Videcodecs it should not be a problem too.

I don't know what you're asking here.  If you think the FireTV can handle more than it is currently playing you can turn on ForceDirect Play.  I have a feeling you're trying to compare the built in player against an external player which won't work as the external players all have extra software decoders that the default player does not which is why the server transcodes the files.