If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New content not picked up

jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hi,

When new content is added to my existing media directories it is not picked up by Plex. It used to be. Also, the context menu and scan for new content option also does not pick up the new content. But, if I do context menu and tv show information the new shows are picked up after the scan.

Any idea what I messed up to cause this to happen (its been working fine for months).

thanks
Jonny

Comments

• jayman978jayman978 Posts: 4,467Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    How are you naming your files?
  • jwrayjwray Posts: 1,268Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2009
    Same as I always was, they are just new episodes of existing series. And I tried slightly different tweeks that made no difference. And scanning works when I force a 'tv show information' but not with scan for new content. That's what's got me puzzled.

jayman978 wrote on Aug 1 2009, 08:02 PM:
    How are you naming your files?
    I have seen in previous cases that users were naming shows like Lost.S01E01.mkv, using dots instead of spaces. They were able to initially scan items in and then it would stop working. Any chance you're naming your files this way?
    I just looked at the two files I had problems with this morning. One had a dot the other didn't. But, maybe I got rid of the dot with my tweaking?

I'll take care to check closer with the next additions. Thanks man.

jayman978 wrote on Aug 1 2009, 09:59 PM:
    I have seen in previous cases that users were naming shows like Lost.S01E01.mkv, using dots instead of spaces. They were able to initially scan items in and then it would stop working. Any chance you're naming your files this way?
    Hi again,

I just added some new content and was careful with the name regarding dots vs spaces this time. Exact name was 'Top Gear - S13E07.avi' and I saw the same behaviour. Basically 'scan for new content' did nothing but the 'TV Show Information' brought in the new episode. Log file showed nothing odd that I could tell. Any ideas or start with a new install is my best bet?

Also, I noticed in another thread that you said updating the library automatically at start up wasn't the best approach. What approach do you recommend for adding new episodes? Manual?

thanks
    Jonny

Jonny Wray wrote on Aug 1 2009, 10:05 PM:
    I just looked at the two files I had problems with this morning. One had a dot the other didn't. But, maybe I got rid of the dot with my tweaking?

I'll take care to check closer with the next additions. Thanks man.
    Yeah I definitely recommend using the manual Scan for New Content. When I add a new show, I copy the file to the show folder then go to the show in the TV Show section and scan for new content on the specific show, if I am adding multiple shows I scan for new content on the source itself.

At this point, I suggest removing the source, re-adding and re-scanning with Scan for New Content. I literally have not had trouble adding TV shows in a long time - and I add shows on an almost daily basis.
  • capt_crunchcapt_crunch Posts: 91Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I am having the same problem as well. It's very annoying to have to rescan an entire season just to scrape one new episode. I am religious about my naming convention.
    To me the most annoying thing is that all episodes get marked as unwatched when you do it that way.

Anyway, I removed my source and rescanned it and the scanning worked just as expected. I'll monitor it over the next few days when adding new episodes and see what happens. It's a strange one as it has been working fine for quite a while for me and nothing obvious changed. Something I couldn't see got corrupted I'm guessing.

Capt Crunch wrote on Aug 4 2009, 06:21 PM:
    I am having the same problem as well. It's very annoying to have to rescan an entire season just to scrape one new episode. I am religious about my naming convention.
  • wally007wally007 Posts: 1,255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Jonny Wray wrote on Aug 4 2009, 08:27 PM:
    To me the most annoying thing is that all episodes get marked as unwatched when you do it that way.

Anyway, I removed my source and rescanned it and the scanning worked just as expected. I'll monitor it over the next few days when adding new episodes and see what happens. It's a strange one as it has been working fine for quite a while for me and nothing obvious changed. Something I couldn't see got corrupted I'm guessing.

biggest problem is when you have " update library at launch " checked and thetvdb.com doesnt have info available for new episode you just copied to your source. stupid scraper will never pick it up ever again unless you force " scan for new content " which defeats a purpose of having library in the first place. i found myself not using tvshows library at all , its just pain the back to nurture.

use videos section , much less headache.
    I use the TV library extensively and very rarely have a problem. The auto scan at startup feature is very unreliable. The best practice is to use Scan for New Content. This will not always be that way but it is best practice now. I will agree that the TV scraper can be finicky but as long as I name my files correctly I rarely have an issue.
    jayman978 wrote on Aug 6 2009, 02:57 PM:
    I use the TV library extensively and very rarely have a problem. The auto scan at startup feature is very unreliable. The best practice is to use Scan for New Content. This will not always be that way but it is best practice now. I will agree that the TV scraper can be finicky but as long as I name my files correctly I rarely have an issue.

problem i described doesnt have anything to do with naming files. its got to do with difference between 'scan for new content' and 'update library'. If i knew about update library issues before i'd have given library a shot with "scan for new content" trick but even then it's not 100% reliable since if thetvdb.com doesnt have info ( and it doesnt have it many times when i already have the content ) i wouldnt even know files are there , in library mode.

Now i'll just patiently wait for new library and hope that these "not scraped" files show up somehow within the library.
  • marshy1982marshy1982 Posts: 2Members
    Add me to the list of users experiencing exactly this problem.

I also found the only way to add new tv shows is to refresh the tv show information, which is less then ideal as it sets all shows back to unwatched...

Looks like we are looking at a bug, maybe this need to be moved to bugs?
    marshy1982 wrote on Aug 7 2009, 05:17 AM:
    Add me to the list of users experiencing exactly this problem.

I also found the only way to add new tv shows is to refresh the tv show information, which is less then ideal as it sets all shows back to unwatched...

Looks like we are looking at a bug, maybe this need to be moved to bugs?

i dont think anyone is going to bother fixing this since priority no.1 for plex developers is new library system from what i gathered from the forums. Why spend time on bug fixing a code that's going to get replaced soon ?!