If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Extended Personal Media Shows Agent

Comments

• MaximeMaxime Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First of all, you're doing a great job, personal videos are tricky to index especially when all needs have to be satisfied.

1. The MM/DD choice is a good one, I didn't realize that the full date was one the video image anyway...

2. I don't use summary (for now) either but I think you should think about an option by default that would not erase an existing summary if it exits.

3. I called my second movie "Enfance 2" by the "2" didn't show up perhaps because it's a number, I'll try with text.

• mjarendsmjarends Posts: 190Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the kind words. The personal media shows in Plex has always been something that I wanted to enhance. If you have any ideas on something else that would be useful let me know.

1. That's why I had removed the year. I had originally included the date in the episode title because I thought it might cause Plex to sort the episodes in the correct order. Right now they are not sorting by the episode date but by the episode title.
    2. I tested an existing summary scenario and as long as the field is locked it will not be overwritten by my metadata agent.
    3. This is an interesting test case. I created a test file on my server too and it appears that Plex is treating the 2 as a part 2. My plugin actually doesn't see the 2nd file. Plex just uses the same episode title as the first file (i.e. Enfance). This seems like a possible bug. You can actually use stacking with this plugin as long as you use the partX or prtX format. I currently do that with some of my personal media files.
  • FranzStoffelFranzStoffel Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would like to thank you for this agent as well!

Love PLEX; it works great with Movies and TV Shows and with your agent is now able to properly display my home videos as well...

I tried the folder structure without separating individual Seasons/Years and it still works fine (as long as the date is in the title it automatically breaks it into years).

Not quite sure about local artwork; had some limited success with show.jpg.

I have just one question:

Type of media has to be TV Shows to end up with a structure, how do I check options you mentioned like include date?

Cheers

Franz

The local artwork does work if you follow the folder structure from the first post. This is how I have my home videos setup and it works great.

To include the date in the episode title you need to go to Plex Settings > Plex Media Server > Agents > TV Shows > Extended Personal Media Shows. Once there you can click on the gear icon next to the Extended Personal Media Shows agent to show the options. After you have enabled the "Include the episode date in the show title" option refresh your metadata.

As I mentioned above let me know if you have any plug-in ideas that you would like to see implemented.

• wally007wally007 Posts: 1,257Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for sharing nice agent. This will make great addition.

Couple of questions before i play with it over the weekend:

1, Can i choose human readable date format ? (instead of having 2013-10-10 in the title to have October 10, 2013 or Oct 10, 2013)

2, Is embedded metadata read in case it is provided ? (Like description etc ..)

1. Right now the only option is to include the date at the beginning of the episode title - for example MM/DD Episode Title. In the near future I will probably an episode title mask to the plug-in options so that users can chose their own naming convention.
    2. The extended personal media metadata agent only sets the episode title and summary. The rest of the data comes from the Plex local media metadata agent. The local media metadata agent should be able read the values from the underlying media and update the file. I will test this out though and see if it is working correctly.
  • wally007wally007 Posts: 1,257Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

1, I meant displaying date in PLex ( ie not file name ) so for example file /TVShows/Formula 1/2013/ Formula 1 - 2013-10-10 - Grand Prix of India.mp4 would show up in Plex as a Formula 1(show),Season 10(season), Grand Prix of India, Oct 10, 2013(episode title). (sorted as a daily episode based on the date of course)

2, Where does the summary currently come from ? 

mjarends wrote on October 30 2013, 2:04 AM: »
    1. Right now the only option is to include the date at the beginning of the episode title - for example MM/DD Episode Title. In the near future I will probably an episode title mask to the plug-in options so that users can chose their own naming convention.
    2. The extended personal media metadata agent only sets the episode title and summary. The rest of the data comes from the Plex local media metadata agent. The local media metadata agent should be able read the values from the underlying media and update the file. I will test this out though and see if it is working correctly.

Managed to get the artwork to work and found the settings to turn the date on and off for the agent.

I have just one wish: I had troubles with subtitles; can they be supported?

(I use them to show the date & time that I have recorded my home videos and find it very useful to be able to turn them on and off)

The subtitle is just a file with the extension ".en.srt" with the same file name and works fine with the original personal media agent

Thanks!

Dear mjarends,

I would have one new but important request for files date tagging. It appears that that the date format is always the US one i.e. "MM/DD".

I would be grateful if you could add the option to choose the european format "DD/MM".

Thank you

edited October 2013
    wally007 wrote on October 30 2013, 6:27 AM: »

1, I meant displaying date in PLex ( ie not file name ) so for example file /TVShows/Formula 1/2013/ Formula 1 - 2013-10-10 - Grand Prix of India.mp4 would show up in Plex as a Formula 1(show),Season 10(season), Grand Prix of India, Oct 10, 2013(episode title). (sorted as a daily episode based on the date of course)

2, Where does the summary currently come from ? 

1. I have just updated the plugin to allow the user specify the episode title and summary template. See the original post for instructions. To get the title like you want you would need to go to the agent configuration in Plex and change the "Template to use in creating the date-based episode titles." to ${episode_title}, ${episode_date|%b %d, %Y}. Refresh your metadata in the section after you have made the change.
    2. Currently the summary is also generated by the agent from the file name. I have thought about adding functionality for reading the summary text from a -summary.txt file in the same directory as the media file.
    FranzStoffel wrote on October 30 2013, 10:43 AM: »

Managed to get the artwork to work and found the settings to turn the date on and off for the agent.

I have just one wish: I had troubles with subtitles; can they be supported?

(I use them to show the date & time that I have recorded my home videos and find it very useful to be able to turn them on and off)

The subtitle is just a file with the extension ".en.srt" with the same file name and works fine with the original personal media agent

Thanks!

I tested subtitles in Plex and I can't get them to work with the Plex TV Personal Media Show agent. Were you using the Plex Movies Personal Media Agent? I will look into this a little further. Currently the agent I developed only sets the title and summary and is relying on the Plex local media agent to retrieve the rest of the data.

xema wrote on October 30 2013, 11:06 AM: »

Dear mjarends,

I would have one new but important request for files date tagging. It appears that that the date format is always the US one i.e. "MM/DD".

I would be grateful if you could add the option to choose the european format "DD/MM".

Thank you

Check out the latest plugin and original post. I have updated the plugin to allow the user to specify the template to use in creating the episode title and summary. To get the title like you want you would need to go to the agent configuration in Plex and change the "Template to use in creating the date-based episode titles." to ${episode_date|%d/%m} ${episode_title}. Refresh your metadata in the section after you have made the change.

mjarends wrote on October 31 2013, 4:05 AM: »

Check out the latest plugin and original post. I have updated the plugin to allow the user to specify the template to use in creating the episode title and summary. To get the title like you want you would need to go to the agent configuration in Plex and change the "Template to use in creating the date-based episode titles." to ${episode_date|%d/%m} ${episode_title}. Refresh your metadata in the section after you have made the change.

Thanks a lot

One little thing, what is the exact language reference, I have a French system but I can't manage to get full months in my language, they're still in English. On the strftime reference guide, it is supposed to be a "local" name.

• mrbiggmdmrbiggmd Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It seems that files with the same date in the same season folder have the same title.  

For example I have 

NFL - 2013-10-20 - Week 7-Broncos Vs Colts.mkv

NFL - 2013-10-20 - Week 7-Patriots Vs Jets.mkv

Both episodes have the same title "Week 7-Patriots Vs Jets"

The same thing is happening for the Week 8 games.

File structure:

[attachment=21168:2013-10-31_094311.jpg]

View in Plex Web

[attachment=21169:2013-10-31_093908.jpg]

Log attached too.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your work on this agent.

xema wrote on October 31 2013, 1:48 PM: »

One little thing, what is the exact language reference, I have a French system but I can't manage to get full months in my language, they're still in English. On the strftime reference guide, it is supposed to be a "local" name.

Can you look at the plug-in log (the file name is com.arendshome.plex.agents.personalmedia.log) and find the following line. What does it say on your server? If you want you can an also attach the log for me to take a look at.

2013-10-31 09:50:25,127 (2198) :  INFO (localization:408) - Setting the default locale to en-us

edited October 2013

Indeed, I have this exact line with setting in "en-us", how could I change it?

Nothing on my server is configured in English, everything in French.

mrbiggmd wrote on October 31 2013, 1:53 PM: »

It seems that files with the same date in the same season folder have the same title.  

For example I have 

NFL - 2013-10-20 - Week 7-Broncos Vs Colts.mkv

NFL - 2013-10-20 - Week 7-Patriots Vs Jets.mkv

Both episodes have the same title "Week 7-Patriots Vs Jets"

The same thing is happening for the Week 8 games.

File structure:

attachicon.gif2013-10-31_094311.jpg

View in Plex Web

attachicon.gif2013-10-31_093908.jpg

Log attached too.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your work on this agent.

This is actually caused by the Plex Media Scanner which only allows for a single TV episode with the same date - it is equivalent to an episode number. Because there is already an episode (Week 7 - Patriots Vs Jets and Week 8 - Washington Vs Broncos) the scanner just reuses the same names. One way around it is to change to using the sYYYYeMMDDG format where you would have YYYY = 2013, MM = 10, DD = 10, and G be your game number for the day. This weekend I plan on creating a Movie Personal Metadata Agent that might work better for you in this scenario.

mjarends wrote on October 31 2013, 4:02 AM: »

I tested subtitles in Plex and I can't get them to work with the Plex TV Personal Media Show agent. Were you using the Plex Movies Personal Media Agent? I will look into this a little further. Currently the agent I developed only sets the title and summary and is relying on the Plex local media agent to retrieve the rest of the data.

Played around with it a bit more and it seems that PLEX is a bit flaky with subtitles and personal shows...

There is no difference between your personal extended media agent and the personal media agent provided as far as I can tell.

When I start a brand new section the subtitles work but once it gets a bit populated it gets confusing. I ensured that the local media agent is ticked, still a bit of hit and miss.

Maybe Ill just have to start with the videos that have subtitles first and then add all the rest later.

Still, your agent is great!!!

xema:

I worked out the issues with the date formatting not picking up the locale correctly. I committed the fixes but need to test a couple of additional things. In order to get it working I had to enable language support for the plug-in. This means that once you update the plug-in you will need to recreate your library section and select the appropriate language.

FranzStoffel:

Can you retest your subtitles in the newest version. You will need to recreate your library section and select your preferred language. Once I enabled language support for the plug-in, my install of Plex finally started looking for the subtitles. I wanted to know if you are experiencing the same thing.