Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Extended Personal Media Shows Agent

Comments

• mjarendsmjarends Members, Plex Pass Posts: 176 Plex Pass

In order to create a custom season name I will need to create a new media scanner. What I'm thinking is that the season name would come from the containing folder name. In your example the season would be named "It Begins in Bridge" for the episodes shown in the screen shot. This season name would be shown in Plex instead of the standard Season 01, etc.

• robertsonkrobertsonk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass
    mjarends wrote on November 10 2013, 9:35 PM: »

In order to create a custom season name I will need to create a new media scanner. What I'm thinking is that the season name would come from the containing folder name. In your example the season would be named "It Begins in Bridge" for the episodes shown in the screen shot. This season name would be shown in Plex instead of the standard Season 01, etc.

Sounds perfect.

Let me know if you need any help testing out.

thanks

Kevin

• FranzStoffelFranzStoffel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 33 Plex Pass
    If you have to create a new scanner as well, may I suggest to create one for the Home Movies section instead?
    This would give us a new icon that finally distinguishes Home Movies from TV Shows and Movies...

in a perfect world:

I have several sections of home movies than I am currently trying to fit into the extended personal series section.
    For example if I had the following files:

/Home Movies
       /Camcorder
           Holiday in Switzerland - 01-01-2001 - We had fun during our Holiday this is what has happened there.avi
           Holiday in Australia - 02-02-2002 - We had fun in Australia unfortunately the weather was poor but I managed to get sunburned.avi
           Holiday in Jakarta - 03-03-2003 - This was filmed in Jakarta and describes the details on what happened here.avi

/Movies
           I made this myself - 11-11-2011 - The description for my first movie.mpg
           I made this as well - 12-12-2012 - The description for my second movie.mpg

/My Iphone
           Party - 05-05-2005 - This is way too embarrassing.mov

and so on...

- Could the scanner/agent grab the title from the text in front of the date, take the date from the date and the text after the date as description of the file name?

- Is it possible to create idividual sections in the home movies part?

- Could the files within each section (Camcorders, Movies or My Iphone or ...) be sorted based on the date?

- If not, can they be sorted based on a different criteria? (like a number that needs to be added to the file name?)

In any case, thanks a lot for all the time that you have put into this project already! 
    - Could the scanner/agent grab the title from the text in front of the date, take the date from the date and the text after the date as description of the file name?

Both could work together to create the data in Plex. In your example above would you want the text before the date as the series title or would you want to include it in the episode title? You could use the values from the file name and apply them to the TV shows section in Plex.

If you used the file name to create the Series title it would look like (this would be using the extended TV shows scanner and agent):
    Camcorder
       Holiday in Switzerland
           01-01-2001 - We had fun during our Holiday this is what has happened there

- Is it possible to create idividual sections in the home movies part?

By sections I'm guessing that you want something similar to how TV Shows are broken out into separate series. The only way that I know of to accomplish this is within a TV Shows section. You would need to use the Series to create separate categories of shows.

- Could the files within each section (Camcorders, Movies or My Iphone or ...) be sorted based on the date?

I'm working on the scanner right now. I should be able to fix the date sort issue by creating a custom scanner.

- If not, can they be sorted based on a different criteria? (like a number that needs to be added to the file name?)

Right now this is what I do. I add the date to the beginning of the episode title so that they sort correctly in the Plex UI.

Thanks for explaining that the home movies section can not be used to create some sort of structure.

Ill stick with the date based approach instead.

What I was trying to suggest was a way to extract the description/summary from the file name.

I guess my example file name should have been:

Camcorder - 01-01-2001 - Holiday in Switzerland - We had fun during our Holiday this is what has happened there.avi

Showname - Date - Episode Title - Episode Summary

Thanks!

mjarends wrote on November 10 2013, 9:35 PM: »

Hi

I was wondering if you had given any more thought to this and whether this was something you expect to be able to produce in the near future?

Thank you again for all your help.

Regards

Kevin

robertsonk wrote on December 3 2013, 6:59 PM: »

Hi

I was wondering if you had given any more thought to this and whether this was something you expect to be able to produce in the near future?

Thank you again for all your help.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

I have been working on this. I am getting close to releasing a scanner for testing but unfortunately it won't be able to do what was originally discussed. The Plex API does not allow season's to contain anything other than a number (or at least that is what I have found). I could still get the chapter/season name but it would need to be included as part of the season description or part of the episode title. I have one unanswered question to post to the Plex development forum before I formally release the plugin for testing. I hope to get this accomplished in the next week or so.

mjarends wrote on December 3 2013, 7:14 PM: »

Kevin,

I have been working on this. I am getting close to releasing a scanner for testing but unfortunately it won't be able to do what was originally discussed. The Plex API does not allow season's to contain anything other than a number (or at least that is what I have found). I could still get the chapter/season name but it would need to be included as part of the season description or part of the episode title. I have one unanswered question to post to the Plex development forum before I formally release the plugin for testing. I hope to get this accomplished in the next week or so.

Thanks, I will be happy to test it out once ready. Regards Kevin

I think I found a problem if I have several files in one day using the Date naming standard:

For Example

/Home Movies

/Christmas
           /2010
               Christmas - 2010-01-06 - Getting Ready.m4v
               Christmas - 2010-02-25 - Stuffing the Stockings.m4v
               Christmas - 2010-12-25 - Christmas Morning.m4v

Christmas - 2010-12-25 - Christmas Evening.m4v

This will not differentiate the titles for 2010-12-25 and if I have a lot of files/titles taken on the same day it makes it hard to distinguish. The all get the same name...

Is this Agent related or does this have something to do with the PLEX structure?

Thanks

Franz

Franz,

It's actually an issue with how the Plex series scanner handles date-based episodes. The date is treated as the episode number and Plex applies the same title to all episodes with the same date. I have created a new personal media scanner that handles multiple shows with the same date correctly by assigning a unique episode number. I'm still testing it and I have a question posed on the Scanner forum regarding an issue/bug that I am experiencing. I'm still planning to release it this weekend so that you guys can test it and give some feedback on it.

Thanks!

Can't wait to test the scanner!
    (This thread had over 3000 views, I guess many people will benefit in the end)

Sounds like it will address all major shortcomings!

Will wait until I reorganise my personal media structure...
    robertsonk wrote on December 5 2013, 3:42 PM: »

Thanks, I will be happy to test it out once ready. Regards Kevin

Kevin,

I have finally released the plugin and the new scanner. I would appreciate any testing you could do on your end. You will need to remove the original meta data agent .bundle and follow the instructions from the first post to install the scanner and meta data agent again. Unfortunately this release will require that you remove any sections created with the previous Plex Series Scanner and Extended Personal Media Shows agent. Let me know if you have any issues/questions.

Mitch

FranzStoffel wrote on December 6 2013, 10:50 AM: »

Thanks!

Can't wait to test the scanner!
    (This thread had over 3000 views, I guess many people will benefit in the end)

Sounds like it will address all major shortcomings!

Will wait until I reorganise my personal media structure...

Franz,

I have finally released the plugin and the new scanner. I would appreciate any testing you could do on your end. You will need to remove the original meta data agent .bundle and follow the instructions from the first post to install the scanner and meta data agent again. Unfortunately this release will require that you remove any sections created with the previous Plex Series Scanner and Extended Personal Media Shows agent. Let me know if you have any issues/questions.

Mitch

• MaximeMaxime Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

Dear mjarends,

Thanks for the work

I've installed both your scanner and agent bundle and have selected both of them for the scanning of my date based section, see structure below:

- Folder: name of the show

- Folder: season name (year)

- videos: "name of the show - YYYY-MM-DD - video title"

I have several questions after some tests:

- art doesn't show up as before (show.jpg and art.jpg are not automatically shown as covers) whereas season jacket i.e. "season-XXXX" do show up automatically.

- After the first scan, the following scans do not reflect file names changes as if the xml file kept all the initial information with some updates here and there.

- The scan does not remove information of deleted files, the video is tagged "unavailable"

- does it support video merging? naming files part1 and part2 doesn't merge them anymore.

- in the detailed plex information of the videos, the date is saved as in format "YYYY-MM-DD". Could we have a real format depending on the region? DD-MM-YYYY for France.

- The title of the show is good but a tag (or subtitle, depends on the view of the library) on the video is appearing with a random episode sequence numeric number like "E561" etc...

Thank you

xema,

Thanks for all of the feedback. Your folder/file format is exactly what I use on my Plex server so I know it's been pretty heavily tested. Please see my questions/answers below.

- art doesn't show up as before (show.jpg and art.jpg are not automatically shown as covers) whereas season jacket i.e. "season-XXXX" do show up automatically.

Did you remove the previous version of the extended personal media agent from your Plex server? Did you completely remove the section or did you just re-configure an existing section? The cover art media is working on my server and is actually retrieved using the local media agent. If you did remove the previous version of the extended personal media metadata agent from Plex you will need to go back into the server configuration and make sure the local media agent.

- After the first scan, the following scans do not reflect file names changes as if the xml file kept all the initial information with some updates here and there.

Same question above about removing the previous section. This functionality is working on my test server and live server.

- The scan does not remove information of deleted files, the video is tagged "unavailable"

The scanner doesn't actually handle this it's handled internally by Plex. To completely remove the old media you would need to empty trash I believe.

- does it support video merging? naming files part1 and part2 doesn't merge them anymore.

Video merging/stacking is currently not supported. I will add support in the future. If you need stacking support I would recommend using the Plex Series Scanner and original Extended Personal Media agent.

- in the detailed plex information of the videos, the date is saved as in format "YYYY-MM-DD". Could we have a real format depending on the region? DD-MM-YYYY for France.

This is internal to Plex and something that I can't control. The scanner just sets the release date on the file, it's up to the client to display the date. I believe this should be a bug filed with the Plex team. On Android clients, the date is actually shown as MMM DD, YYYY.

- The title of the show is good but a tag (or subtitle, depends on the view of the library) on the video is appearing with a random episode sequence numeric number like "E561" etc...

Subtitles are still supported by the metadata agent plugin. I will be sure to test again The random episode number is actually the day of the year plus a unique index. For example if there was one file in your library with a date of January 1, 2013 the episode number would be 11. This is done on purpose because it is the only way in which I could get Plex to support having multiple media files with the same release date. This is a common occurrence for personal media and something others (including myself) have struggled to get Plex to support.

Some more comments:

The scanner/metadata agents are limited to what can currently be accomplished within the Plex API. If you the Plex Series Scanner and orginal extended personal media agent were working for you then I can make that agent available again but I'm going to rename it so that it doesn't conflict with the updated scanner/agent pair. Let me know if you are interested in this and I will create a new post with the original details.

As you have probably noticed I removed the episode date formatting from the plugin. Part of the reason is because the scanner is now extracting the episode title from the file name and the other reason is because the scanner is now creating a ordered episode number for date-based media. This allows for shows to be ordered correctly in Plex on all clients.

I did add new functionality to the metadata agent in that it can now set an episode summary from ".summary" file on the local file system. I will also be adding the same functionality to the show and season (if supported) levels.

Dear mjarends,

1. Sorry I'm dumb, I didn't check the Local Media Asset :/ . Ok for the art then. I carefully removed the bundle, the xml and all the logs from the previous version so as the section, closed plex server, restarted server, verified everything was removed, shut down the server again, installed the scanner, the agent and then started PMS again. Added my section, chose the scanner and the agent then the scan.

2. Everything was done as described above.

3. Emptying the trash doesn't seem to work either.

4. No rush for merging but thanks.

5. Ok for the date, understood, no problem

6. Ok for the episode name.

As I tested your early versions of the agent, I have now installed the ne agent + the scanner, what does the scanner do exactly as the agent alone seemed to be very promising. I'm a little bit confused about their respective role. Thank you for your time.

As for another version, I would think that you would rather develop ONE good solution you can focus on. I have no problem to rename my files in one format. You can't make a version for each one of us and as I do not catch the role of the scanner itself, I'm not sure what to ask :).

Thanks

Are you still seeing missing media? Is it all media or just some of the files? When you look in your plug-ins directory you only have the extendedpersonalmedia-agent.bundle correct? You could send me the following logs to see if I can determine what the issue is:

• com.arendshome.plex.agents.personalmedia.log
    • Plex Media Scanner.log

The role of the scanner/meta data agent are as follows:

• Scanner - iterates over the files in the directories specified in your sections and adds the files to the Plex library
    • Metadata agent - adds additional information to the media file (summary info, actors, subtitles, images, etc.)
    edited December 2013

Dear mjarends,

I am still missing media AFTER update. If I remove the section + the agent + the scanner and reinstall it, the scan is ok.

If I change file name or remove a file, there are erratic results: please see photos attached of the plex list after renaming and the file list corresponding. Furthermore, The old named file stays and appears as "unavailable" whereas the file name has change. Please see attached logs.

Thanks a lot.

xema - Thanks so much for the logs. I found the issue. I will get it resolved tonight and let you know when the update has been released.

edited December 2013

The scanner and metadata agents have been updated. I have tested renaming sXXXXeXX shows and everything is working fine. I am still working on testing the renaming of date-based shows. This appears to be failing due to the way the episode numbers are being created for date-based media. Due to this I could use some feedback from the group on something. Right now you can not have multiple date-based episodes on the same day within Plex and have them be named correctly. For example:

• Show - 2013-12-10 - My first show
    • Show - 2013-12-10 - My 2nd show

Both of these shows would show up with the same "My first show" episode title in Plex. Currently the new scanner I created tries to uniquely create a new ID but the problem is that the information is not retained between server restarts. What needs to be done to resolve this is that we need to extend the date-based media naming standard to retain this info in the file name. I was thinking of doing something like the following:

• Show - 2013-12-10_1 - My first show
    • Show - 2013-12-10_2 - My 2nd show

Where _1 and _2 indicate to the scanner the unique ID within the date that should be used when storing the episode within Plex. The episode numbers would still be the day of the year plus the value from the _1 and _2 value. If no value is supplied it assumed that there are no other episodes on that day and a 1 will be appended.

What does everyone think of this idea? Would anyone like to see it expressed differently? If there are any experienced developers out there that know about the Plex API than I do I would appreciate alternative ideas.

Thanks,

Mitch