If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] Extended Personal Media Shows Agent

Comments

• MaximeMaxime Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Dear mjarends,

Thanks for the investigation, that's ok for me as you can't do different. I understand it's impossible to tell Plex that two episodes with a same date are two separate episodes even if episode names are different.

Cheers,

• mjarendsmjarends Posts: 177Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

Plugins have been updated with the following changes:

• Episode indexing (described above) has been added. To have episodes with the same date appear in Plex with the correct titles add a _XX after the date in the file name.
    • Stacking/merging of video parts has been re-enabled.

When updating I would recommend removing your media section and re-adding using the updated plug-ins. This will hopefully be the last time this is necessary.

Let me know if there are any issues.

- Mitch

• robertsonkrobertsonk Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mjarends wrote on December 8 2013, 5:32 PM: »

Kevin,

I have finally released the plugin and the new scanner. I would appreciate any testing you could do on your end. You will need to remove the original meta data agent .bundle and follow the instructions from the first post to install the scanner and meta data agent again. Unfortunately this release will require that you remove any sections created with the previous Plex Series Scanner and Extended Personal Media Shows agent. Let me know if you have any issues/questions.

Mitch

Mitch

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner I have been out of the country, thanks for all your efforts with this.

I will do some testing today, and am looking forward to the results.

It might be helpful if you could briefly recap on what we now hope the revised agent and scanner can achieve both in terms of file naming and folder structures etc. I know the file naming conventions etc at the beginning of this thread haven't really changed as they are dictated by Plex, but we were thinking about whether folder names could be used to create season names etc (see our earlier posts regarding the Photoshop training videos), is this something that you now think works?

If so I would assume the "Episode naming standard" is the most appropriate, so for training videos based on this standard will the first attached screen grab which is scanning "Photography Training Videos" produce a show called "Photoshop CS6" with Seasons named "Introduction" and "Begins in Bridge" etc and then individual shows within?

For home movies the "date naming standard" is presumably more useful, so do you think that based on the structure of the second attachment which is scanning "Home Movies"(naming conventions may need to be changed a little?) that the folder titles will give a show name such as "2012" and the Season as "Alton Towers with ...." with the three separate videos within as episodes which will be named according the text after the date?

Sorry for asking what may appear repetitive questions, but I think due to the length of the Blog now it is quite useful to recap what can now been achieved perhaps over and above what is suggested on the first page.

Thanks again

Kevin 

Kevin,

I will try to summarize below. Items with asterick (*) below are new features that are not currently supported by default Plex plugins. I also spent a bunch of time updating the first post to try to capture in a little more details all of the functionality of the scanner and metadata agent.

• * Supports additional episode-based (sXXXXeXX) and date-based (YYYY-MM-dd) formats than the Plex Series Scanner. See the first post for more details.
    • * Supports multiple date-based episodes on the same date. See previous posts and the first post for more details.
    • * Supports season name as part of the title. The season title would be Introduction from the folder 00. Introduction in your screen capture above. Introduction would be set as the summary on the season 00 by the plugin. Currently the value is being set but the Plex clients don't display it. I need to check with Plex development team on why this is not working.
    • * Supports adding a summary to an episode by adding a .summary file with the same name and in same directory as the episode file. See the first post for more details.
    • * Supports unstructured episode layouts. See the first post for more details.
    • Supports stacking media like the original Plex Series Scanner and metadata agent (ex: Episode Title part1 and Episode Title prt2 will be stacked into one episode in Plex)
    • Supports Show Title and Episode Title scrubbing like the original metadata agent (ex: Episode.Title will be changed to Episode Title)
    mjarends wrote on December 21 2013, 4:26 PM: »

Kevin,

I will try to summarize below. Items with asterick (*) below are new features that are not currently supported by default Plex plugins. I also spent a bunch of time updating the first post to try to capture in a little more details all of the functionality of the scanner and metadata agent.

• * Supports additional episode-based (sXXXXeXX) and date-based (YYYY-MM-dd) formats than the Plex Series Scanner. See the first post for more details.
    • * Supports multiple date-based episodes on the same date. See previous posts and the first post for more details.
    • * Supports season name as part of the title. The season title would be Introduction from the folder 00. Introduction in your screen capture above. Introduction would be set as the summary on the season 00 by the plugin. Currently the value is being set but the Plex clients don't display it. I need to check with Plex development team on why this is not working.
    • * Supports adding a summary to an episode by adding a .summary file with the same name and in same directory as the episode file. See the first post for more details.
    • * Supports unstructured episode layouts. See the first post for more details.
    • Supports stacking media like the original Plex Series Scanner and metadata agent (ex: Episode Title part1 and Episode Title prt2 will be stacked into one episode in Plex)
    • Supports Show Title and Episode Title scrubbing like the original metadata agent (ex: Episode.Title will be changed to Episode Title)

Thanks Mitch, I think I will have to play around with a few examples.

Just to be clear though on the naming of "Seasons" based on folder names requires a numeric prefix  such as "xx.Introduction"  (as with my Photo training example) but even though that then parses the correct Season name ("Introduction") we aren't seeing that on the Plex clients, but rather still its showing Season 00 or  01. Assuming this is the case then I think it will be perfect for training videos etc. 

I will have to look more closely at how to file my home movies, generally mine are currently in Year folders, then sub events, and then files.

/2010

/Christmas

Getting Ready.m4v

Opening presses.m4v

Any advice?

Thanks

Kevin

Plex still only supports numbered seasons and numbered episodes. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do to get around that. That's why I'm setting the season summary instead, but as you saw that still is not working.

As far as organizing media goes. I can add support for the following format.

\2010

\Christmas

\12-24 - Opening presents.mp4

\1225 - Christmas day

All of my personal media uses Plex standard format but that is just because my plug-in didn't exist when I first started organizing the files.

mjarends wrote on December 21 2013, 7:51 PM: »

Plex still only supports numbered seasons and numbered episodes. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do to get around that. That's why I'm setting the season summary instead, but as you saw that still is not working.

As far as organizing media goes. I can add support for the following format.

\2010

\Christmas

\12-24 - Opening presents.mp4

\1225 - Christmas day

All of my personal media uses Plex standard format but that is just because my plug-in didn't exist when I first started organizing the files.

Thanks Mitch

If you could support that layout it would be great, let me know if it requires a reload of the agent.

Thanks again and keep up the great work, I will continue to monitor this post :-)

Thanks

Kevin.

I added support for <season number>\<show title> directory structure. You will just need to update both the scanner and the meta data agent. After that you should just be able to refresh your sections to find the new content.

mjarends wrote on December 21 2013, 8:54 PM: »

I added support for <season number>\<show title> directory structure. You will just need to update both the scanner and the meta data agent. After that you should just be able to refresh your sections to find the new content.

Thanks Mitch

I have tried importing some videos as per the attached, but am only currently getting the first video displaying in Plex under Show = CKS Xmas show - Sophie, Season 2010, the other 4 videos do not show. I assume this is to do with the issues you have identified previously regarding same date files; is my additional time suffix not in the correct format to enable the multiple files to be picked up? The date format as per the files attached is exactly as it comes off of my video camera i.e.: yyyy_mm_dd_hhmm ; is it the underscore _ rather than a dash - thats causing me an issue or is it the hhmm suffix format?

Thanks

Kev

It is the " am" suffix. If you removed the " am" from the file it should pick them up. I would recommend using just a single value for the _hhmm though otherwise the episode number would get really long. What I did in a similar situation was just use the _X to order the files and I put the time as part of the episode title.

2010_12_06_1 - 946AM School Xmas Play.MOV

mjarends wrote on December 22 2013, 1:57 PM: »

It is the " am" suffix. If you removed the " am" from the file it should pick them up. I would recommend using just a single value for the _hhmm though otherwise the episode number would get really long. What I did in a similar situation was just use the _X to order the files and I put the time as part of the episode title.

2010_12_06_1 - 946AM School Xmas Play.MOV

Mitch

Thanks for the quick response, I have tweaked the file names  by just removing the " am" suffix for the moment, i do take your point though re long episode numbers. However just for the purposes of testing I have made the one change (see attached) but still only one file appears (I have deleted the media section and recreated as well just to check). Any clues?

Kev

robertsonk wrote on December 22 2013, 2:23 PM: »

Mitch

Thanks for the quick response, I have tweaked the file names  by just removing the " am" suffix for the moment, i do take your point though re long episode numbers. However just for the purposes of testing I have made the one change (see attached) but still only one file appears (I have deleted the media section and recreated as well just to check). Any clues?

Kev

Log attached if it helps?

Kev

I just noticed that you had "_" between the YYYY-mm-dd values. The plug-in currently only supports "." and "-" between these values.

mjarends wrote on December 22 2013, 2:57 PM: »

I just noticed that you had "_" between the YYYY-mm-dd values. The plug-in currently only supports "." and "-" between these values.

Thanks Mitch, getting there slowly :-)

Ive made that change and now all the episodes appear for that specific folder, but the season name for them rather than being 2010 (the year folder) is using the suffix after the date to create the Season name (see attachment 1)

Secondly I have attempted a similar folder structure (see attachment 2), but in this instance there is no show getting picked up at all :-(

Sorry for being a pain, but I am sure there is something else I am missing.

PS: Most of the other folders you see within my 2012 folder are also missing as shows, but thats almost certainly because the files within are not yet named correctly.

robertsonk wrote on December 22 2013, 4:34 PM: »

Thanks Mitch, getting there slowly :-)

Ive made that change and now all the episodes appear for that specific folder, but the season name for them rather than being 2010 (the year folder) is using the suffix after the date to create the Season name (see attachment 1)

Secondly I have attempted a similar folder structure (see attachment 2), but in this instance there is no show getting picked up at all :-(

Sorry for being a pain, but I am sure there is something else I am missing.

PS: Most of the other folders you see within my 2012 folder are also missing as shows, but thats almost certainly because the files within are not yet named correctly.

Just wondering if my second question has anything to do with the .mts file extension ?

Kev

The date + episode index needs to be either YYYY-MM-DD_X or YYYY.MM.DD_X where X is the index. The date and the index need to be separated by an "_" or the plugin won't pick them up correctly. 

MTS files should work. I have some of them in my folders as well.

mjarends wrote on December 22 2013, 4:52 PM: »

The date + episode index needs to be either YYYY-MM-DD_X or YYYY.MM.DD_X where X is the index. The date and the index need to be separated by an "_" or the plugin won't pick them up correctly. 

MTS files should work. I have some of them in my folders as well.

Thanks Mitch, that has perfectly fixed the first issue (all now showing within the  2010 season with long episode numbers as you said would happen), but still nothing coming through for the second issue (the MTS files) which have the suffix _01 _02 and _03 see attached.

I think the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching :-)

Cheers

Kev

I just tried the exact same show title and episode title on my test server and the shows showed up correctly. I also checked the logs and it looks like the files are being processed appropriately. Did you try do a refresh in the Plex section in the web browser? I have seen where that is necessary to actually get new entries to show up.

mjarends wrote on December 22 2013, 7:41 PM: »

I just tried the exact same show title and episode title on my test server and the shows showed up correctly. I also checked the logs and it looks like the files are being processed appropriately. Did you try do a refresh in the Plex section in the web browser? I have seen where that is necessary to actually get new entries to show up.

Mitch, its really weird. I have created a new folder and section called Home movies test and only included this one folder; and then deleted the original section and rebuilt it for the original Home movies folder.

For the Home movies Test section and Folder it works perfectly, just like you have tested. 

For the original Home movies folder, despite the recreated section, it still does not work!

Really weird. I can only guess that maybe all of the other incorrectly named files in the other folders are somehow confusing things?

Attached are the two screen grabs and log, any clues greatly received. If not I will move all my movies one folder at a time to the New Test folder (ensuring correct naming conventions)

Thanks again.

Kevin

Kevin,

I looked at the log and the log shows that the file name is being parsed correctly by the metadata agent. You could also try send me the scanner log to see if that shows anything. The file you would need to attach is Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/Plex Media Scanner.log.

In the first screen shot you show there are a lot of titles for shows in Plex that I don't see in the screen shot of the file browser above it. Is that the expected results with your media library?