If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

WP8 Plex completely new or an update?

jebrumjebrum Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So a Plex client for WP8 was semi announced today.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/10/22/instagram-isn-t-the-only-great-app-coming-to-windows-phone-here-s-the-full-list.aspx

Any word on if this will be an additional purchase for somebody who has already purchased the WP7 client on a WP8 device?

Comments

• byronmbyronm Posts: 60Members

i would hope its an update or free like the android app..

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,392Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

It'll be as free as we can make it. As long as the Microsoft store allows us to make it an upgrade (which it should), it'll be a completely free upgrade for existing users :)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• JasonKruysJasonKruys Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Excellent! Given the price of the first one, which has been (abandoned?) for a year or more, this is good news! Thanks :)

• justinhowjustinhow Posts: 166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's been a lean year for WP users of Plex but may be the drought is over. Happy days!

PMS on Windows Server 2012 R2 (Intel Core i5, 8TB RAID, 16GB RAM), Nvidia Shield TV, Denon AVR-X4300, Axiom Epic 50 Speakers, Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector, Sony KD-55X8005C TV
  • Jaap_van_EkrisJaap_van_Ekris Posts: 377Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It'll be as free as we can make it. As long as the Microsoft store allows us to make it an upgrade (which it should), it'll be a completely free upgrade for existing users :)

Great news!

Thanks. Any info on when you guys will be releasing it, and a feature set? Or is it too premature?

Jaap
  • jamesfmackenziejamesfmackenzie Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Great news indeed! My phone is ready and waiting! The biggest win for me would be PlexSync.
  • henkallhenkall Posts: 92Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is this then only to Windows Phone 8?

or will the Windows Phone 7 app also be updated?

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,392Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    It's only for windows phone 8. MSFT changed too much between 7.5 and 8 for anything else to make sense :(

• Jaap_van_EkrisJaap_van_Ekris Posts: 377Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    elan wrote on October 28 2013, 9:28 PM: »

It's only for windows phone 8. MSFT changed too much between 7.5 and 8 for anything else to make sense :(

Please note that you can leave the old version in the store for WP7, and that a new version can be targeted at WP8 only. The people from Grasshopper do this as well. That makes managing the app a lot easier in upgrade scenario's.

Jaap
    Yup, that's likely what we will do.

• jdbrookesjdbrookes Posts: 454Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well lads, before or after xmas?? Thanks!

• okmrdanokmrdan Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any ETA on this? I had asummed the list of apps from http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/10/22/instagram-isn-t-the-only-great-app-coming-to-windows-phone-here-s-the-full-list.aspx would have arrived by now or in the next week with new phones being released. Instagram and Plex are the only straglers from the list.

• eortizreortizr Posts: 10Members

Com'n guys I need Plex in WP8.

We're working hard :)

• Javisoft01Javisoft01 Posts: 2Members

I just hope that whoever bought this Plex WP7 App in WP8 doesn't need to pay extra for the upcoming upgrade. Actually I purchased it minutes ago, given the results on my Macbook. PS3 App could be better, but this WP7 one... NO SRT, unacceptable. For foregin users is a must. And performance...I just hope this investment, that i gladly paid, won't end up in the thrash.

• jebrumjebrum Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Javisoft wrote on November 20 2013, 11:34 PM: »

I just hope that whoever bought this Plex WP7 App in WP8 doesn't need to pay extra for the upcoming upgrade. Actually I purchased it minutes ago, given the results on my Macbook. PS3 App could be better, but this WP7 one... NO SRT, unacceptable. For foregin users is a must. And performance...I just hope this investment, that i gladly paid, won't end up in the thrash.

Did you read any of the other posts in this thread?

• Javisoft01Javisoft01 Posts: 2Members

Yes that was just a Little cry.

• mardiniummardinium Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jdbrookes wrote on November 13 2013, 2:55 PM: »

Well lads, before or after xmas?? Thanks!

Before would be nice :)

• darrenmcdarrenmc Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is really stunning news. I actually don't mind re-purchasing if that's what it takes to support the plex platform.

• Odin.PlexOdin.Plex Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

honestly i would purchase a version for wp8 again too, already a plexpass but my home wouldnt be the same without plex so i'l gladly pay for it