Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cloud Sync - Multiple accounts

hectorgarrofehectorgarrofe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 96 Plex Pass

Is there any way to link multiple accounts from the same provider?

For example, I have 4 Google Drive accounts, but I only can sync one of them at the same time.

Any solution?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• MichielMichiel Plex Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 870 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Not at the moment no, it is being discussed though.

Answers

• MichielMichiel Plex Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 870 Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

Not at the moment no, it is being discussed though.

• hectorgarrofehectorgarrofe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 96 Plex Pass

Thanks for your answer.

• jdillingerjdillinger Members, Plex Pass Posts: 339 Plex Pass

This is seriously funny...people are going to be signing up for thousands of google accounts....

• Dave AdamsDave Adams Members Posts: 14

I somehow doubt that this will work long term, even if PLEX supports it.  Google, Copy etc would be forced to block the PLEX bandwidth.

Come on people, the 15 GB free is simply to get you in the door.  

Their business model is showing how useful their service is then UP SELLING you to the paid storage size.  Any utility (that gets any traction) that "joins" multiple free instances at the same provider will be shown the door quite quickly.

I wonder how they already feel about the cross connecting 4 services with 1 interface...  I'd not be surprised to see this go away soon when the providers come to PLEX and complain.

There is  http://www.onlinestoragesolution.com/ (unlimited space for $35/year) and  http://www.bitcasa.com/ (unlimited for $99/year) which are much cheaper than the 4 currently supported if you use over about 100 GB but I wonder how long they last if PLEX adds them as providers and people start putting up multiple TB of video files all over the place...  

500 GB for $15 a month at copy.com may be the best offer standing soon.  Time will tell.  Even with volume discounts hard drives still must cost about $20 a TB.  Figure a 2 year life span and you can't allow an account to fill 4 (or MORE) TB for $35 a year.  It's like selling 20 dollar bills for $15.00.

• tfreakburgtfreakburg Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass
    Dave Adams wrote on November 17 2013, 11:22 PM: »

500 GB for $15 a month at copy.com may be the best offer standing soon.  Time will tell.  Even with volume discounts hard drives still must cost about $20 a TB.  Figure a 2 year life span and you can't allow an account to fill 4 (or MORE) TB for $35 a year.  It's like selling 20 dollar bills for $15.00.

I use OLS right now.. have had some issues with my larger files/groups of files.. asked about it in a different thread.

As far as selling unlimited for $35, how many people are really going to go through the work of uploading TBs and TBs of movies anyway? Ive noticed some throttling, and I suspect that will be the key... not throttle the download of files from the online storage, but throttle the upload to them. It takes a long time to upload a couple TBs at 5 mb/s or less. 

Regardless, if 70% of your users sign up for an account because they think they want to use more than the 15gb they can use elsewhere, there's still a lot of headroom before they reach 1tb. I suspect they may reach 200gb over the course of a year or so of uploading family stuff (flickr is offering 1tb for home photos/videos for free, btw). So, 70% may only use 1/15th the amount the other 30% use, but they are the larger customer base. They bring more income. Sometimes it works out.  Everyone likes "unmetered/unlimited" in their package, but few ever intend/actually do test the reality of the statement.

• twayz12twayz12 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass

It would be nice to support multiple accounts. 

• GormsonGormson Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

I'm also interested in this feature

hope this will be implemented!

• therevmjtherevmj Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

This is way late to the game, but there are many legitimate reasons to use more that one account for a given cloud provider. Imagine the family of 4 that pays for google apps. They all have separate logins and what to be able to access all of their photos from one place. Don't assume people are doing something nefarious.

I personally just ran into this issue. I have my free gmail account and decided to open a google apps account. I will not be getting rid of my free account because that would mean I lose all of my Android apps (google will not let you transfer purchases between accounts). I also will not be making any app purchases under my google apps account becuase if I ever decide to cancel, or can no longer afford to pay for it, I will lose all of those purchases. I have my chat transcript with google representatives being very clear about this.

Personally I believe that this stance opens Google to a class action lawsuit from everyone who falls into this situation. I do not becuase I had the forethought to ask and as a result will be avoiding a problem. But I am sure that there are many other who don't even realize that they are now required to make a monthly payment to mainatain access to the apps, books, movies, and music they have "purchased". Given I am stuck with two accounts becuase of Google's own policies. Why shouldn't I use them both?

All of that is to say if fear of abuse it the reason the feature does not exist, please rethink that as there are plenty of legitimate reasons to want to utilize more than 1 google account.

But either way, please consider this a vote to support multiple google accounts.