If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Episode Title Metadata

SomebodySysopSomebodySysop Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have created a TV Shows library section

TestLibrarySection.png

I pointed it to a directory that contains mp4 TV show files in this format:

Directory name-> TV Show Title

Directory title -> Season #

File -> S##E## - Episode Title (as in S01E02 - The Tiger.mp4)

ISpyFiles.png

There is also a system information nfo metadata file for each episode file in this format:

EpisodeNFOFile.png

In Plex, I see the TV Show and under the TV show I see the episodes, and even the episode descriptions, but I do not see the episode titles.

ISpyEpisodeTitles.png

Can someone help me figure out what I need to do so that the episode titles appear?  Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    SomebodySysop wrote on December 2 2013, 2:10 AM: »

Sorry, but I have to mark this as unsolved again.  I don't know what happened or why with the one that worked, but new TV show files that I format like this:

Show name\Season ##\Show name-SxxExx-Episode title.mp4

still consistently do not show Episode Title in Plex

attachicon.gifTheRealMcCoysEpisodeTitleIssue.png

Scanner: Plex Series Scanner

Agent: The TVDB

File type: mp4

I have read and re-read the documentation on file formatting for Plex and I don't see where I've deviated from it here. 

With dozens of episodes, it's pretty difficult finding the one you want if they all the same episode title!  If I'm the only one having this problem, there's got to be a solution!  Any assistance appreciated!

could whatever you are using to record the eps with be saving the name into the file tags?

what order are you agents in? (settings -> Agents -> TV Shows)  If local is higher than thetvdb.com it will prioritise tags.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

Answers

edited November 2013
    SomebodySysop wrote on November 30 2013, 9:41 AM: »

Directory name-> TV Show Title

Directory title -> Season #

File -> S##E## - Episode Title (as in S01E02 - The Tiger.mp4)

Can someone help me figure out what I need to do so that the episode titles appear?  Thanks!

try adding the show name to the beginning of the episode files... i.e.  /Show Name - SxxEyy - Ep Title.ext.

Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
  • SomebodySysopSomebodySysop Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Trudge wrote on November 30 2013, 9:58 AM: »

try adding the show name to the beginning of the episode files... i.e.  /Show Name - SxxEyy - Ep Title.ext.

Thank you!

I added the Show name to the beginning of the file name, AND, in case someone else has this problem, made sure there were no spaces between Show name - SxxExx - Episode title:

ISpyFiles02.png

And, voila, the Episode title now appears!

ISpyEpisodeTitles02.png

Very much appreciated!

Sorry, but I have to mark this as unsolved again.  I don't know what happened or why with the one that worked, but new TV show files that I format like this:

TheRealMcCoysEpisodeTitleIssue.png

I have read and re-read the documentation on file formatting for Plex and I don't see where I've deviated from it here. 

With dozens of episodes, it's pretty difficult finding the one you want if they all the same episode title!  If I'm the only one having this problem, there's got to be a solution!  Any assistance appreciated!

Accepted Answer
    SomebodySysop wrote on December 2 2013, 2:10 AM: »

attachicon.gifTheRealMcCoysEpisodeTitleIssue.png

could whatever you are using to record the eps with be saving the name into the file tags?

what order are you agents in? (settings -> Agents -> TV Shows)  If local is higher than thetvdb.com it will prioritise tags.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 1,024Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Perhaps you made the episode "name Changes" within the folder already in plex....

If this is the case then I would simply remove the said TV Show folder from the server, clean bundles, empty trash for that section the simply re-add the TV show folder in question, this will force a re-scan with the proper file structure and titles.

Hope this helps............

edited December 2013
    Trudge wrote on December 2 2013, 2:40 PM: »

Thank you!  I went to Settings->Agents->TV Shows->TVDB and sure enough, local media was higher than TVDB.  I placed TVDB on top, deleted then re-created library section, and voila!  The episode titles are there!

AlfredHitchcockPresentsEpisodeTitles.png

In case others new to this have the same problem and are wondering where that section is:

AgentsTVShowsSettings.png

Again, many thanks!  So happy to have this resolved.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 1,024Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad we could be a help.... enjoy plex!!!!

• Randy's MoviesRandy's Movies Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have similar problem. My files are not TV shows that TVDB would recognize but I tried to elevate it as suggested and followed the advice about moving out of plex, deleting bundles and emptying trash many times without success. I have tried having file name with no spaces: name-s01e01-title and I have tried as prior told to do with one space after dash: name- s01e01- title.
    My file structure: TVgames/YoYoTricks/Season 01/ Yo Yo Tricks 1 I then pulled into Plex the file TVgames as a TV file.
    Strangely when I look at "settings/server/agents" I have choices of Movies, Shows, Artists, Albums, and Photos so I chose Shows because TV Shows as in the examples above was not present. In the Shows area I have choices of Personal Media Shows, The TVDB, and The Movie Database. Under Personal Media Shows in order I have Personal Media Shows and Local Media Assets(TV). Under The TVDB I have in order TheTVDB, Local Media Assets(TV), Plex Theme Music, Fanart.TV, The Movie Database checked. Under The Movie Database I have in order The Movie Database, TheTVDB, Fanart.tv, Plex Theme Music, and then Local Media Assets(TV). OK, so how many things have I screwed up? Any idea how I can get these titles to show up? This is a simple one with only a couple episodes but I have others with up to 60. Since they are not real "TV" shows they are not going to show up in TVDB. If I try to make them personal media it doesn't keep file structure so I get hundreds of files all in one file: completely unmanageable. I feel like my icon.....head is in a bag of goodies but can't quite reach them.

• G2RG2R Posts: 2Members

Hello All,
    did someone successfully solve this issue?
    I have exactly the same here with some TV-shows (not all!!!)

I did try _Settings->Agents->TV Shows->TVDB _and sure enough, local media was higher than TVDB.
    I did try naming the files in various ways:
    Show name\SxxExx-Episode title.mp4
    Show name\Show name-SxxExx-Episode title.mp4
    Show name\Show name- SxxExx- Episode title.mp4

nothing convinced Plex to get a grip at the Episode Title.

even more confusing!
    when I forceful name store the episode title in Title and Sort Title Plex comes along and trashes my manual naming of the episodes and naming them Episode1,2,3 again.

any ideas? anybody?

greetings.