If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Crestron Module for PHT

zakari66zakari66 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

I'm starting to write a Crestron Module to remote control Plex Home Theater. I currently do not wish to see all the metadata & media lists on the Crestron Module, but only want Navigation & Transport controls (with subtitles etc ...)

So far, I've managed to use the HTTP API (http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/HTTP_API/Control) but it's very limited considering the fact that the SendKey part doesn't appear to be working.

I'm also investigating the XBMC JSON RPC API, which appears to work as well (but is a bit more complicated).

Which method do you recommend using ? (in terms of future support etc ...)

I like the HTTP API better because it's simple to select which PHT client you want to send the order to & it leverages the fact that there's a server in the setup. (but the JSON RPC has access to a ton more stuff like subtitles etc ...)

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• eleeseeleese Posts: 327Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I updated my 1-way module awhile ago and now use the JSON API. You're welcome to use it or check out the code to help build your own. It's now available on Github.

plexWatch/Web: GitHub / Plex Forums Thread | Crestron-PlexHT: Github
  • zakari66zakari66 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank eleese.

zakari66 wrote on January 1 2014, 5:13 PM: »

Thank eleese.

Sure thing. Let me know if you have any issues or suggestions for improvement.

• hifikamhifikam Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having trouble adding the module to my database. I even tried in the project directory and module don't show up.

any ideas?

until now I used XBMC crestron module for plex 0.9.5.4 player with 8080 & 9090 ports, but same module don't work for on PHT.

edited January 2014
    hifikam wrote on January 3 2014, 4:25 PM: »

I'm having trouble adding the module to my database. I even tried in the project directory and module don't show up.

any ideas?

It should be as simple as placing the module in the same directory as your .smw project file. After this, open the project and navigate to:

Project/Resynch Program

This is assuming you are using SIMPL Windows and not System Builder or D3.

done all that, still no show of the module, tried to open the module and it won't open in simpl.

I'm using simpl window.

Hmm, looks like the file gets corrupted after pushing the commit to GitHub. I will zip the file and re-sync.

thanks a lot, let me know when it's updated

got it, now I can see the module in my database. thanks a lot. let you about the rest of the progress.

• zakari66zakari66 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

I like how you made the press & hold logic !

Will definitely give it a try

Thanks for sharing it, I will give feedback as soon as I find time to reprogram the system :)

• MrGoldenMrGolden Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    eleese wrote on December 3 2013, 11:51 PM: »

I updated my 1-way module awhile ago and now use the JSON API. You're welcome to use it or check out the code to help build your own. It's now available on Github.

Can this module control Plex clients, or only the server?  Thanks.

MrGolden wrote on February 1 2014, 2:59 AM: »

Can this module control Plex clients, or only the server? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by controlling a server. It only controls "Plex Home Theater" clients.

https://plex.tv/downloads
  • evenmosbekevenmosbek Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

very interesting. Working on a Crestron setup my self and would very much like to incorporate Plex. Is this module on Github?

emosbek wrote on May 7 2014, 4:43 PM: »

very interesting. Working on a Crestron setup my self and would very much like to incorporate Plex. Is this module on Github?

Yes.

Crestron-PlexHT

• vmailtkvmailtk Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Would this module work with Plex for Samsung TV?

vmailtk wrote on June 19 2014, 11:08 PM: »

Would this module work with Plex for Samsung TV?

No, this only works with Plex Home Theater.

• sandman_avesandman_ave Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a 2 way module that I'm working the bugs out of... I'm using JSON commands with a connection to the server for meta data. But it looks like there is a new HTTP API added to plex I'm just waiting on the documentation to be posted. If someone would like to help with the development please let me know... I can send a copy to anyone that would like to try it out...

• MrGoldenMrGolden Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I might be able to help.  I'm an avid Plex user, and a Crestron programmer :-)

Currently I have Plex running on a Roku, a Samsung BluRay, and a few Android clients.  I'd love to be able to control them over the network.

I know there's a Roku module for IP control, but I hate the Roku's GUI, and don't plan to keep it in the system.  

• sandman_avesandman_ave Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2014
    MrGolden wrote on July 1 2014, 7:22 PM: »

I might be able to help.  I'm an avid Plex user, and a Crestron programmer :-)

Currently I have Plex running on a Roku, a Samsung BluRay, and a few Android clients.  I'd love to be able to control them over the network.

I know there's a Roku module for IP control, but I hate the Roku's GUI, and don't plan to keep it in the system.  

Give me a few days to cleanup my simpl+ code and I'll send you a message