If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plexconnect running on any jailbroken iOS device

wahlman.jwahlman.j Posts: 2,564Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
I have my jailbroken iphone 4s on iOS 8.3 running plexconnect! (Also a mini2 on 8.3, ipad 3 on 8.3.)

Updated instructions for iOS devices here (tested on iPhone 4S iOS 8.3):

SSH into your JB iOS device (install OpenSSH from the BB repo if needed) then paste this easy one liner or fire up mobile terminal on your iOS device and paste it using that instead. "APT 0.7 Strict" or higher required (a simple search in cydia will allow you to install it, required for apt-get function). INSTALL "APT 0.7 strict" PRIOR TO RUNNING THIS COMMAND BELOW!

iBaa or Wahlman.j with prompts for desired theme & optional autoupdating plist:
apt-get -y update; apt-get -y upgrade; apt-get -y install git; rm -R /Applications/iosjailbreak; cd /Applications; git clone git://github.com/wahlmanj/iosjailbreak.git; cd /Applications/iosjailbreak; ./installios.bash

Please note PIL (Fanart) does not work using this method...yet (not sure if it ever will).

This method is best suited for traveling, you can connect multiple devices to one jailbroken PlexConnect host or repurposing an old or new iOS device to be a PlexConnect host. Not everyone brings a laptop when traveling or uses airplay from the Plex for iOS app or other airplay enabled devices. Personally I prefer a remote to control my aTV and find airplaying to cause an immense amount of congestion on any network that I have ever used. If you do use this method I suggest to turn on airplay mode then turn your wifi back on to keep your network connection on your iOS device alive even if your iOS device has its screen locked. 

OSX apps : OpenPlex // UAS installer OpenPlex by Wahlman.j (Source Code), CyberGhost84 (GUI) & Flipman6 (Obj-C)

iOS Firmware links: Firmware // Firmware Limits OpenPlex app or assistance. Donations appreciated US-$ // EUR

Click my username and message me if you need Teamviewergif <----Install this for assistance.

(1) Locally owned PMS Mac 10.9.5 i7-4770k haswell 32gb 1866 ddr3 with e-sata rocket raid 2302 Raid-5 set of (4) 5TB HD (15TB usable) in a 10-bay DAGE1040BL (2) Jailbroken aTV2's on iOS 5.3 (6.1.4) (portable PlexConnect host's) (9) aTV3's on mixed iOS (1) iPad 3, (1) iPad mini 2 retina, (4) iPhone 4s, all jailbroken on 8.1.1 all running latest official Plex for iOS & PlexConnect for iOS. Airbubble.apk (265 initial buffer frames) for android devices or airfloat for iOS devices to airplay aTV audio to Sol Republic Tracks HD V10.

Comments

• tomer1749tomer1749 Posts: 853Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's not about the tutorial, but the idea. Why would you do this? There's an awesome Plex Client for iPhone!

SmileyHoldingIsraelFlag.gif
    iMac 2011 with PMS&XBMC with PleXBMC, PleXBMC Helper and Amber.
    Hackintosh with PMS & PlexConnect
    iPad 3 white with Plex.
    iPhone 5 black with Plex.
    2 Apple TV 3 with PlexConnect.

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

• f00b4rf00b4r Posts: 2,885Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

To make the ATV3 portable ;)

Plex @ aTV - think different: PlexConnect

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

Wiki: click here

How to report an issue: click here

Github (download the app): click here

Donations (Paypal): [US-$], [EUR]

• wahlman.jwahlman.j Posts: 2,564Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2013
    The launchctl error was because of a ios 5.0.1 error, OF COURSE the ios which was running. Simply installing corona from cydia fixed the issue. I dont always install plexconnect on ios 5.0.1 but when I do I must run corona prior to the installation ;)

OSX apps : OpenPlex // UAS installer OpenPlex by Wahlman.j (Source Code), CyberGhost84 (GUI) & Flipman6 (Obj-C)

iOS Firmware links: Firmware // Firmware Limits OpenPlex app or assistance. Donations appreciated US-$ // EUR

Click my username and message me if you need Teamviewergif <----Install this for assistance.

(1) Locally owned PMS Mac 10.9.5 i7-4770k haswell 32gb 1866 ddr3 with e-sata rocket raid 2302 Raid-5 set of (4) 5TB HD (15TB usable) in a 10-bay DAGE1040BL (2) Jailbroken aTV2's on iOS 5.3 (6.1.4) (portable PlexConnect host's) (9) aTV3's on mixed iOS (1) iPad 3, (1) iPad mini 2 retina, (4) iPhone 4s, all jailbroken on 8.1.1 all running latest official Plex for iOS & PlexConnect for iOS. Airbubble.apk (265 initial buffer frames) for android devices or airfloat for iOS devices to airplay aTV audio to Sol Republic Tracks HD V10.

• jdillingerjdillinger Posts: 339Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wahlman now JB atv3! lol! :ph34r:

Well, if there's anyone in the world that's have ATV and want to use PlexConnect and have no computer at all but have a jailbroken iphone, this is nice :)

LOL :)

iPad 3 white with Plex.

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

edited December 2013
    tomer1749 wrote on December 9 2013, 12:46 PM: »

Well, if there's anyone in the world that's have ATV and want to use PlexConnect and have no computer at all but have a jailbroken iphone, this is nice :)

LOL :)

Again it's for "on the go" purposes pretty sure i'm not going to bring my desktop to a hotel just to host plexconnect for ATV.

jdillinger wrote on December 9 2013, 6:07 PM: »

Again it's for "on the go" purposes pretty sure i'm not going to bring my desktop to a hotel just to host plexconnect for ATV.

Ok, so you won't bring your desktop.

Where will your PMS be? in the air?

iPad 3 white with Plex.

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

tomer1749 wrote on December 9 2013, 6:14 PM: »

Ok, so you won't bring your desktop.

Where will your PMS be? in the air?

PMS will be running at home.  https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/86031-plexconnect-on-the-go-atv23-no-jailbreak/

• StoffezStoffez Posts: 515Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

dude.. this is best suited for ATv3 on the go.. if u have an ATV2 u can have it completely at the Go

using this 

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/88905-plexconnect-on-atv2jailbroken-launchctl/

edited December 2013
    To make this as simple as possible this is what your would do after following the above instructions. Using ANY jailbroken ios (plexconnect host) device you may upload a similar settings.cfg e.g. below. Open up your pms port on your home router pointed at your home pms local ip. If you want to just use myplex via plexconnect to view most of your home and shared pms content you DO NOT require these settings.cfg edits. Once your jailbroken ios device has booted up it will launch plexconnect automatically (you obviously need matching trailers.pem's on your atv3 and ios device prior to launching plexconnect).

[PlexConnect]
    port_pms = 32400 (if this your pms port)
    port_webserver = 80
    ip_plexconnect = 0.0.0.0
    certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem
    ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8
    loglevel = Normal
    enable_dnsserver = True
    logpath = .
    ip_pms = yourdyndns.com or wan ip (no http prefix)
    enable_plexgdm = False
    hosttointercept = trailers.apple.com
    port_ssl = 443
    enable_webserver_ssl = True
    prevent_atv_update = True
    port_dnsserver = 53
    enable_plexconnect_autodetect = True

*extra option given below*

If you want plexconnect to look identical as it does at home as in filling in the tabs then edit pms by using the allow without auth in pms. It requires by minimum if you were doing one remote location, three ip address's:

192.168.1.101 local pms ip address
    11.22.33.44 wan ip address
    44.33.22.11 remote location wan ip address (hotel?)

Use this at each location (local and remote) to figure out your wan ip addresses http://www.whatsmyip.org/ if you can't figure out your local device pms ip address on your own use google to figure out how ;)

In pms it would look like this e.g.

192.168.1.101/255.255.255.0,11.22.33.44/255.255.255.0,44.33.22.11/255.255.255.0

All I need to do is update pms if needed if I travel from place to place to add or change remote location wan ip addresses by typing a similar url in a browser and changing that simple setting in pms:

http://dyndns.com:32400/web or http://wanip:32400/web

It doesn't get any easier than this unless myplex implements this into the plexconnect code rendering the editing of pms allow without auth unnecessary. Also launchctl needs some work as well but this just came out so please be patient until it can be worked out, otherwise enjoy plexconnect on your atv3 anywhere as a new option (bringing a jailbroken ios device & your atv3 of course) ;)

You can use this on a unjailbroken atv2 as well if you updated it past the current ios jailbreakable revisions.

Looks nice but not so many people are leaving the computer on when going to hotel or trip.

iPad 3 white with Plex.

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

edited December 2013
    Maybe this just isn't for you or you don't get what doors this has just opened. This is exactly why myplex was invented so you can view other pms servers anywhere. Go ahead and bring along your device with all your pms content with you as well as your atv3 when you are away from home e.g. vacation, hotel etc. Personally I will be leaving my mac at home (which is always on) with my esata raid array hosting 4tb of pms content when I go out of town, but hey thats just me ;) I could also send a WOL packet from anywhere to wake up my pms server if need be if I ever need a energy efficient solution.

• 6th6th Posts: 4Members

Good read, how hard do you think it would be to change the trailers app icon? Perhaps wishful thinking on my part

edited December 2013
    On a atv3 not possible that I know of at this time, you can hijack other apps instead as well such as imovie theater or wsj. On a Jailbroken Atv2 we create a plexconnect app and use trailers as originally intended by apple. Its mentioned here and other prior topics:

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/88905-plexconnect-on-atv2jailbroken-launchctl/

You know that it is possible to compile Python into native iOS apps (there are a few tools to do it) right?

In theory you could even use it on non-jailbroken iPhones then using eg the enterprise app deployment method.

-> the missing link between Plex Media Server and your AppleTV - 2 or 3, jailbroken or not.

edited December 2013
    I remember you saying that in a different topic as well. Any ideas on why launchctl is not working using the bash or other plists on jailbroken ios devices besides the atv2 where it works perfectly?

Looks nice but not so many people are leaving the computer on when going to hotel or trip.

Your mind is incapable. The end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jdillinger wrote on December 10 2013, 3:38 PM: »

Your mind is incapable. The end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't ask what you think about comment and no need to be rude. The end.

iPad 3 white with Plex.

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

edited December 2013
    So everyone understands now the whole point of this is to be able to use your unjailbroken atv2/3 anywhere by simply hosting plexconnect on your jailbroken ios device then logging into myplex to see your content on the big screen. You can fill in all the tabs exactly as it is at home to have your configured channels as well if desired and is completely optional. Just using your ios device with the plex app defeats the purpose unless you just want to watch your content on your ios device or constantly airplay to your unjailbroken atv2/3. As f00b4r said you can host plexconnect on unjailbroken ios devices as well but all my ios devices are jailbroken so I personally will be using this method to host plexconnect for a on the go solution, for now.

Not sure why launchctl doesn't work as I haven't played with it on an iPhone.
    A native app might be nice on a jail token phone as you would just tap the icon to start it.