Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Where do you guys buy digital movies?

T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

iTunes has DRM and won't play in Plex, and Netflix is just too low quality for me.

I'm looking for 720p movies, at a nice quality level (Not necessarily Blu-ray quality, but better than Netflix at least).

So, where do you do your digital shopping? :) Edit: And make it official sites, and not some dodgy russian site with 1$ movies that includes a goat sacrifice..

Comments

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,100 Plex Ninja
    T'hain Esh Kelch wrote on December 12 2013, 9:09 AM: »

iTunes has DRM and won't play in Plex, and Netflix is just too low quality for me.

I'm looking for 720p movies, at a nice quality level (Not necessarily Blu-ray quality, but better than Netflix at least).

So, where do you do your digital shopping? :) Edit: And make it official sites, and not some dodgy russian site with 1$ movies that includes a goat sacrifice..

No major studios offer this. The big movie studios makes the EXACT same mistake as the music studios did. It is actually kind of sad.

So if you want fairly big movies you have to either record them or buy them on a physical disc and rip them to your NAS (which is what I tend to do).

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Yeah, currently that is also what I do.

But I have two issues here: 1. it is much quicker, and easier, to download the movies online for free; and 2. I've had very bad success with ripping Blurays due to DRM, so it is not really worth it for me.

I totally don't get why they don't get it... 

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,100 Plex Ninja
    edited January 2014
    T'hain Esh Kelch wrote on December 12 2013, 11:23 AM: »

But I have two issues here: 1. it is much quicker, and easier, to download the movies online for free; and 2. I've had very bad success with ripping Blurays due to DRM, so it is not really worth it for me.

Give them a few years... they will get it. I think.

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • cjcoxcjcox Members, Plex Pass Posts: 236 Plex Pass

I do not recommend illegally downloading movies "for free".  It's like having your neighbors watch your wife through the window for free while showering.... (and yes, I know that some of you have no problem with either).

I recommend Slysoft for ripping blu-ray.  But the rips are huge (be warned... DVDs come in at about 5G per rip, your Blu-ray rips will be in the 25-30G range).

I'm actually anti-Blu-ray... it's just not worth it IMHO.  Especially given the popularity of streaming where the benefits almost disappear.  Typically I use handbrake for my DVD rips to m4v.  Problematic DVDs, I use mplayer to grap raw unmodified singular mpeg2 and then process with handbrake (some of you know what I'm talking about).

Either way, I usually transcode for playback on typical frontends and networks.  I use default handbrake m4v.  It works well with Plex clients and my primary frontend, which is Roku.  Then the DVD rips will go down to about 300MB in size and the Blu-ray rips equally reduced percentage wise.

Just my opinion.  Netflix Super HD is actually pretty good... but obviously still compressed.  If you don't like some compression artificating and Netflix isn't good enough, my guess is that transcoding isn't going to be good enough.  That's going to force you have good support on the frontend side and possibly an improved network as well.

• igork01igork01 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 98 Plex Pass

cjcox, how do you compress DVDs to 300MB? What options did you change in Handbrake?  When I use it, my movies in average are about 1GB.  Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

How can I make them smaller?

• TheeGoochTheeGooch Members, Plex Pass Posts: 68 Plex Pass

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

Me neither. Many years later, they still don't get it.

The deeds today, echo in eternity. - Maximus

• brucethevideobugbrucethevideobug Members, Plex Pass Posts: 207 Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

I am wondering if perhaps the new plex cloud product could be followed-up by amazon offering to sell DRM free movies to purchase and add to your stock in an amazon drive hosted plex cloud?

I would gladly pay to acquire movies and TV in this manner. I have a fair amount of amazon video already, but no way to incorporate it into Plex as it is only playable via amazon video.

I agree with CJCox on "free" movies as unethical, discouraging of the production of content that I want more of, and anyway illegal.

The analogy is wrong though. It's more like knocking down the wall of your neighbor's house so everyone can watch them shower.

I mostly use makemkv for ripping disk, that I think is a legal grey area also due to current US copyright law.

I agree blueray can be a pain, especially the file size. On the other hand sometimes the blueray version has special features that I enjoy.

• JBinFlaJBinFla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 80 Plex Pass

I'm staring at hundreds of BluRays and DVD's left to be ripped. It is a pain in the butt. I've often wondered if "since I own the DVD, is it stealing if I download it". Since the answer is "I don't want to explain it to a judge" my library is ohh so slowly getting larger. I have run into some glitches though. And I also haven't gotten a 300mb DVD that is worth watching (at least not to me) though I could be completely missing some setting in Handbrake. I can't seem to find a one-size-fits-all group of settings. had ghostbusters ripped and all was looking really good (at under 2gb) until they got into a fight with the ghost and used that plasma weapon. Then there was artifacting and pixelating all over, and consistently on those scenes. By this time I was halfway into the movie and didn't want to stop it so I kept it playing, and really I'm not sure I'm going to spend hours more trying new settings to get it to work. It's just sad there's DRM on all the digital downloads as usually they are quality and like most of you I pay for my movies but I want them in a format that I can use. Physical media is going out though I'll admit even after ripping all the movies I've ripped so far I still don't throw out the DVD, I keep hoarding them in boxes. Why? Because I'm worried some po-po will show up at my door and at least this way I can claim fair use (backup) and produce the product I bought. Heck, DVD's are just a few bucks each now days and most of us end up watching DVD quality after transcoding, why even risk it on the downloads!

@brucethevideobug said:
    I am wondering if perhaps the new plex cloud product could be followed-up by amazon offering to sell DRM free movies to purchase and add to your stock in an amazon drive hosted plex cloud?

Highly unlikely. Amazon looooooves DRM. And it still doesn't fix the near-Blu-ray quality issue. And even with Plex Cloud becoming a hit, it is still bound to be a very small market.

@brucethevideobug said:
    I mostly use makemkv for ripping disk, that I think is a legal grey area also due to current US copyright law.

Fortunately it isn't a problem here, as you are allowed to remove DRM legally, to view owned media on other units.

Since my initial post, I've started doing my own Blu-ray ripping, as I fixed the problem (Almost) with regards to subtitles in my native language. I rip with MakeMKV, convert with Handbrake, and extract subtitles from the MKV with Subler in english and my native language. It takes time, but I end up with very high quality rips, with extra material, and subtitles,

But still I would prefer just to buy my media digitally in near Blu-ray quality and no DRM to save me a lot of time and space.

• sremicksremick Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,118 Plex Pass

I buy Blu-rays, often used. The cost is often below "digital download" cost and the resulting ripped file quality is superior and under my control.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.13.2.5142 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

So the answer to the question of where do you buy digital media legally for use with plex and no DRM restriction is: nowhere. Depressing.

• jondhoughtonjondhoughton Members, Plex Pass Posts: 302 Plex Pass

@TheeGooch said:

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

Me neither. Many years later, they still don't get it.

I doubt they ever will. The vast majority of the population is fine with streaming via Netflix, Hulu, Network Apps, etc etc.

• sremicksremick Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,118 Plex Pass

@jondhoughton said:
    I doubt they ever will. The vast majority of the population is fine with streaming via Netflix, Hulu, Network Apps, etc etc.

Once again, the preference for convenience/price over quality ruins the marketplace for everyone.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.13.2.5142 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• Neil HincksNeil Hincks Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

Hi not sure if this will help you or not but I have tried pretty much every Movie player and plex client as well as most ripping soloutions including MakeMKV which is probably the best if you are making your own.

I found I was spending more time "processing movies" than enjoying watching them and have settled on the following compromise solution which works perfectly for me.

I have a 2010 Mac mini as a plex server to several clients including Chromecasts, Apple TV, Android Tv and Xbox 1.

I purchase my movies from the iTunes Store both UK and US for early releases and download in 1080p but you have the option of 720p.

MODERATOR EDIT: 
    Refrain from promoting or suggesting illegal activity. (e.g. Posting methods to circumvent DRM or promote file sharing of copyrighted content)

REF: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/220049328

With purchased TV shows I remove the iTunes artwork so the episode thumbnails show on all plex clients and it works great, hassle free in a fraction of the time ripping and re encoding used to take giving me more time to enjoy my media.
    This way I have the backup that I can download the movies again in either higher or lower quality free from Apple.

This was my compromise as I am ethically purchasing the movie and not downloading illegally yet can watch on any player I like and know the files will be of good quality.

The end result file is the same quality as the original download and looks great on all screens from my iPad to my 1080p home cinema projector at 84".

I haven't found a digital 3D soloution yet so I still buy 3D movies on physical blu ray disc and play them off the disc as only the projector is 3D anyway.

• archer75archer75 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 170 ✭✭

Ripping movies with DRM is super easy. And you want 720p downloads but complain netflix is poor quality? Netflix quality is pretty damn good. Maybe not bluray exactly but certainly better than 720p. Looks great even on my new LG OLED. Unless your have internet issues resulting in a lower bitrate?

You don't need to use subler to pull subs. Makemkv can do that and you are already using that to rip. I then process in handbrake and burn subs into the image so I don't have to mess with subtitle files. Though if I needed the file I could just merge it into the MKV easy enough.

• jondhoughtonjondhoughton Members, Plex Pass Posts: 302 Plex Pass

@sremick said:

@jondhoughton said:

Once again, the preference for convenience/price over quality ruins the marketplace for everyone.

Convenience will always win... Those that care enough to fine tune blue ray rips are the exception, but your point is understood.

• KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,151 Plex Pass

Those who rip blurays, any external usb drive you can recommend?

edited October 2016

@archer75 said:
    Ripping movies with DRM is super easy.

Except when there are 800 varations of the same movie on the disc, which is more and more commenly used.

And you want 720p downloads but complain netflix is poor quality?

No one is talking about 720p downloads but you.

Netflix quality is pretty damn good. Maybe not bluray exactly but certainly better than 720p. Looks great even on my new LG OLED. Unless your have internet issues resulting in a lower bitrate?

Maybe to your preferences. There's waaaaaaaaaay more to a digital movie than resolution, and there's a HUGE quality difference between a Blu-ray movie and a Netflix movie. 50/50 Mbit fiber here, so bandwidth is not an issue.

You don't need to use subler to pull subs. Makemkv can do that and you are already using that to rip. I then process in handbrake and burn subs into the image so I don't have to mess with subtitle files. Though if I needed the file I could just merge it into the MKV easy enough.

Some of us don't want hardcoded subtitles since we switch between subtitles and don't want non-scaleable **** looking subtitles that change from movie to movie. So yes, we do need Subler. PGS files are images, and not text strings.

• archer75archer75 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 170 ✭✭

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

@archer75 said:
    Ripping movies with DRM is super easy.

Except when there are 800 varations of the same movie on the disc, which is more and more commenly used.

And you want 720p downloads but complain netflix is poor quality?

No one is talking about 720p downloads but you.

Netflix quality is pretty damn good. Maybe not bluray exactly but certainly better than 720p. Looks great even on my new LG OLED. Unless your have internet issues resulting in a lower bitrate?

Maybe to your preferences. There's waaaaaaaaaay more to a digital movie than resolution, and there's a HUGE quality difference between a Blu-ray movie and a Netflix movie. 50/50 Mbit fiber here, so bandwidth is not an issue.

Some of us don't want hardcoded subtitles since we switch between subtitles and don't want non-scaleable **** looking subtitles that change from movie to movie. So yes, we do need Subler. PGS files are images, and not text strings.

Even with tons of variations on the same disc it's still easy to find the right one. There are many methods to do so.
    You were talking about 720p in your original post. Netflix is certainly better. I'm watching on a LG 4k OLED w/dolby vision and the quality is pretty damn good. No, not bluray but certainly better than any 720p stream/download/rip you're going to find. Yes, there is way more to a movie than resolution. I've been ripping and encoding movies for more than a decade so I am well aware.