If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast Support

I'm looking for more Chromecast information. What is currently supported, what will be supported, anything really. I have done some searches on the forum and I haven't found much.

Most importantly I'm wondering if I will be able to play media from Plex servers shared with me on my Chromecast? I'm able to play them on my phone but when I go to cast to the chromecast I receive an error "You do not have access to that media"

Comments

• OrionshockOrionshock Posts: 3,328Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You will want to make sure you have rebooted all your devices and that the server is accessible  from the outside (as in when on cell phone data you can access and play videos)

"The Vast Majority of problems come from misguided expectations and poor planning." 
    "If you're going to do something, do it right and do it right the first time." -- Unknown.

Occam's Razor Murphy's Law Hanlon's Razor

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Posts: 2,563Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

You should be able to play back media from shared servers I believe, as long as your Plex account has a valid PlexPass subscription. I could be wrong though.

• WarhandsWarhands Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

@OrionShock 

Thanks for the suggestion rebooting everything was my first troubleshooting step. So far what I have is:

Video plays when on cellular 4g.

Video plays when on Wifi.

Video plays on the same wifi that the chromecast is on. 

Video will not play on the chromecast. Error "Unable to cast You do not have permission to access this media."

This is only for content on libraries shared with me. I can play everything from my server just fine.

@Drzoidberg33

So far no luck. I do have a current Plex Pass and I even purchased the non free app (I bought it first before I knew I needed a Plex Pass). 

edited December 2013
    Warhands wrote on December 20 2013, 4:40 AM: »

This is only for content on libraries shared with me. I can play everything from my server just fine.

Another Ninja and I tested this out with the same setup, it seemed to work as expected.

Make sure the person who is running that server has updated to the latest. That could be blocking it.

"The Vast Majority of problems come from misguided expectations and poor planning." 
    "If you're going to do something, do it right and do it right the first time." -- Unknown.

• MarT304MarT304 Posts: 1Members
    Having to pay for Plex Pass just to have access to the Chromecast app is a joke.
  • TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    MarT304 wrote on December 21 2013, 2:58 PM: »

Having to pay for Plex Pass just to have access to the Chromecast app is a joke.

Then wait for it not to be a PlexPass only feature then.  Pay, or be patient.. or use something else... so many options you have.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • mattfunk73mattfunk73 Posts: 36Members

I have the Plex App and Plex Pass. The video buffers every 30 seconds . any suggestions? i have an Ipad and samsung 7100 TV. using FIOS Quantam speed

• johsamjohsam Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

I have a similar problem. I'm using my chromecast on a different LAN then my plexserver, the android-app have discovered the chromecast but when i try to play something i get the "Unable to cast  - You do not have permission to access this media" error message. I can watch content from my server just fine on Plex/Web and android-app.

Does the chromecast have to be on the same LAN as the plexserver for it to work?

• cul8rmom1cul8rmom1 Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here.  I am running 2 sinology boxes.  Ds1812 and ds1813.  Ds1812 with shared library not on local network has issues.  Logging in with locally on my phone works.  Logging in with an account that is not local works.  Looks like the chromecast wants to be on the same network as the plex server.  Don't know if it is a DNS problem or they have some kind of check.  Wondering if you could get the chromecast to connect via vpn or ssh tunnel if this is the case.+

My configuration
    Media Server Primary: Custom built ESX 5.5 server with DSM 3612sx 12x 4TB drives
    Media Server Secondary: Dell R610 running ESX 6.0 with DSM VM installed for plex backup/dev/testing.
    Media Storage Primary: DS1813+ 4GB RAM 8x 4TB HItachi NAS drives
    Media Storage Secondary/download coordinator: Synology DS1815+ 16GB RAM, w/ 8x 4TB mixed drives,
    Media Clients: Laptops, iPad, Android tablets, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Appletv3 (Plexconnect hack) Appletv4, nvidia sheild portable, ChromeCast, Roku.
    Network: 3x Dell Powerconnect 5424s. Asus router running merlin firmware.
    Surveillance Station: 14 cameras.
    And on and on and on......

• tschechtelintschechtelin Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same permission issue here as soon as I try to stream from Android plex to Chrome outiside of my home over Internet. When I use the web interface from http://plex.tv from PC there, it works fine on same location.

On lan does work both. not sure if this is an option or a bug.

Regards

Franz-Peter

PS: Plex pass is in place and actual

i"ve streamed to 2 different chromecasts with plex from off network with ZERO problems. If your getting these errors you likely need to reboot something or go update to the latest app and server. Over the last week there have been quite a few more than usual updates pushed out.

• CreelyMediaCreelyMedia Posts: 9Members ✭✭
    Trudge wrote on December 21 2013, 3:07 PM: »

Then wait for it not to be a PlexPass only feature then.  Pay, or be patient.. or use something else... so many options you have.

I'd gladly pay for PlexPass to get Chromecast support...

But the Plex app on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 hasn't been updated to support the Chromecast, so even if I did pay, it still wouldn't work. Leaves me with no reason to get PlexPass...

CreelyMedia wrote on December 28 2013, 3:02 AM: »

But the Plex app on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 hasn't been updated to support the Chromecast, so even if I did pay, it still wouldn't work. Leaves me with no reason to get PlexPass...

you'd need to be talking to Google then to get them to release an WP8 SDK for it.

or, just use Plex/Web - again... options...

Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    edited December 2013
    Trudge wrote on December 28 2013, 3:07 AM: »

you'd need to be talking to Google then to get them to release an WP8 SDK for it.

I don't see why this is an issue... at least not an issue that can't be worked-around pretty easily.

As long as the PC running Plex Media Server is on the same network as your ChromeCast, shouldn't ANY phone be able to tell the server to fling content to a ChromeCast? Use the PC as a middle-man.

PMS serves content to phone > phone selects content > phone picks where to play content > server recieves commant > PMS automatically pops open Chrome and loads the requested content > begin casting.

Instantly any device with a Plex app can fling to all the ChromeCast's in your house, no on-device Google SDK support required.

Trudge wrote on December 28 2013, 3:07 AM: »

or, just use Plex/Web - again... options...

How does using the Plex web UI, as it exists today, allow me to fling content from my phone to a Chromecast?

edited December 2013
    CreelyMedia wrote on December 30 2013, 8:46 AM: »

I don't see why this is an issue... at least not an issue that can't be worked-around pretty easily.

As long as the PC running Plex Media Server is on the same network as your ChromeCast, shouldn't ANY phone be able to tell the server to fling content to a ChromeCast? Use the PC as a middle-man.

PMS serves content to phone > phone selects content > phone picks where to play content > server recieves commant > PMS automatically pops open Chrome and loads the requested content > begin casting.

Instantly any device with a Plex app can fling to all the ChromeCast's in your house, no on-device Google SDK support required.

Cool, so whilst you are talking with Google about the WP8 SDK, you can also ask them for the SDK's to do that all.

There is currently an IOS, Android and Chrome App/Plugin SDK - that is it (and they are considered unfinished SDKs).  No linux, OSX, or Windows SDK to allow PMS to do anything.

The only way you are currently getting your WP8 device to cast, is by using it to ring someone who has a supported device and asking them to do it for you.

https://developers.google.com/cast/reference/

edited December 2013
    Trudge wrote on December 30 2013, 9:26 AM: »

Cool, so whilst you are talking with Google about the WP8 SDK, you can also ask them for the SDK's to do that all.

What are you talking about? The method I described does not require any ChromCast API or SDK, that was the entire point.

A plugin for Google Chrome could accept commands from Plex Media Server, auto-navigate to the desired video in the existing Plex web-app, and start playing. Google Chrome already supports tab-casting, so all the work of supporting the ChromeCast is handled by the browser.

There is currently an IOS, Android and Chrome App/Plugin SDK - that is it (and they are considered unfinished SDKs).  No linux, OSX, or Windows SDK to allow PMS to do anything.

Re-read what I suggested more carefully. The ChromeCast SDK becomes irrelevant.

The only way you are currently getting your WP8 device to cast, is by using it to ring someone who has a supported device and asking them to do it for you.

Ok... are you seriously not reading? That's effectively what my suggested process does. Though instead of phoning up a person to press buttons in Chrome for you, Plex Media Server could handle it.

The Windows 8 modern app and the Windows Phone 8 app would ask PMS to fire up Google Chrome (which already has Chromecast support), navigate to the existing Plex web-app, start playing the video, and start casting.

edited December 2013
    CreelyMedia wrote on December 30 2013, 10:17 PM: »

A plugin for Google Chrome could accept commands from Plex Media Server, auto-navigate to the desired video in the existing Plex web-app, and start playing. Google Chrome already supports tab-casting, so all the work of supporting the ChromeCast is handled by the browser.

How exactly does it do that, given the sandbox'd nature of the extension?

Im not going further with this, the answer is, you need to wait for google to produce and SDK for your device, or use a different device.  If you search, you will see the devs have also explicitly stated this.

edited December 2013
    Trudge wrote on December 30 2013, 11:22 PM: »

How exactly does it do that, given the sandbox'd nature of the extension?

Do what? Accept commands from Plex Media Server?

PMS is already an HTTP server, Google Chrome is already a web browser. This isn't complicated... Have PMS serve up a page that tells the plugin what to do. Have the browser plugin monitor that page for commands.

Most of this can already be done with an AutoHotkey script, honestly. I've been toying with it off and on. It's exceedingly simple to launch Chrome, browse to the desired page in the Plex web-app, start playing a video, maximize it, and cast it. All 100% programatically.

Only thing missing is the UI to control it from Plex's mobile apps.

• vdpollmvdpollm Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hi,

ok, so some of you are talking about Plex Media Server, and some of you are talking about the PlexApp that you purchase from the Windows Store, and some of you are talking about Plex Home Theater.

the problem is with the Win8 Plex App from the Windows Store - you cannot cast from it, will try PHT on my other machine later and give an update.

i am running windows 8.1 from my laptop. PlexApp works fine here, but i cannot cast to chromecast with it - there is no feature. if i use the web interface from chrome to access my PMS and play a file on my laptop, i can cast from it.

would prefer to have it cast directly from the PlexApp that i have purchased from Plex.

regards

Marc

• galyeanr11galyeanr11 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just bought Chromecast for my bed room.  Takes forever to load and constantly buffering.  I have a roku in another room and works flawlessly.  I have a Linksys e1200 router with firmware version 2.0.01; 75 down, 10 up speeds.  I have a small apartment, so the chromecast is not terribly far from the router.  Suggestions?  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.