If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Max bitrate for Roku 3

I've been considering setting up a media server and buying the Roku 3 to use Plex. However, I've found a couple places that the Plex/Roku setup only allows for video bitrates of 20Mb/s. I've spent the last few years compressing my Blu Ray collection to MKVs that are between 15 and 25Mb/s (using the 4.0 h.264 level). I found in another forum that "The Roku only supports 4.0 (can be set in Plex to higher), and if left that way, anything over 4.0 will be transcoded down regardless of bitrate." Ideally, I'd like to use Plex stream these from a server without any transcoding.

Unfortunately, I called Roku twice and talked to two "senior technicians" that couldn't verify any of the actual bitrate settings that the Roku 3 will support. 

Does anyone know if I'd be able to smoothly play all of my movies without transcoding on the Roku 3? 

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Note: I'm fairly sure I won't have any issues on my my end, I have a full Gbit network and a fast 8GB quad-core server with 12TB of storage. 

Comments

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,833Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited December 2013
    ms1405 wrote:
    I've been considering setting up a media server and buying the Roku 3 to use Plex. However, I've found a couple places that the Plex/Roku setup only allows for video bitrates of 20Mb/s. I've spent the last few years compressing my Blu Ray collection to MKVs that are between 15 and 25Mb/s (using the 4.0 h.264 level). I found in another forum that "The Roku only supports 4.0 (can be set in Plex to higher), and if left that way, anything over 4.0 will be transcoded down regardless of bitrate." Ideally, I'd like to use Plex stream these from a server without any transcoding. Unfortunately, I called Roku twice and talked to two "senior technicians" that couldn't verify any of the actual bitrate settings that the Roku 3 will support. Does anyone know if I'd be able to smoothly play all of my movies without transcoding on the Roku 3? Thanks in advance for the help!!! Note: I'm fairly sure I won't have any issues on my my end, I have a full Gbit network and a fast 8GB quad-core server with 12TB of storage.
    Roku has been working just fine with profile 4.1, but I don't have anything at 25mbps to test. Can you share a sample. I'd be willing to test it out for ya. 25mbps would be officially supported by Roku, but it could work. Edit: amazon has a pretty amazing return policy though, so you could just check it out?
  • ms1405ms1405 Posts: 2Members

Any recommendation on how to upload/link the sample? Even a 30 second clip is 100MB  :o  (and I'm not even sure that will be an adequate test size)

And I'd much rather know whether it will work before I go through the hassle of setting everything up (e.g. removing entertainment center components, setting up media server, moving video files to internal HDs, etc.). Thanks for the Amazon recommendation though! I've had Prime for years  :D

• roadbikerroadbiker Posts: 2Members

I just started converting my blurays and one of my encodes ended up at about 22.5Mb/s.  I put it on my plex server and watched the first 5 minutes or so on a Roku 3 and didn't notice any problems.

The file is an m4v and was encoded using the 4.0 h.264 level

• jbaconbitsjbaconbits Posts: 176Members ✭✭
    I find 1080p mkv files at around 20mbs start to stutter and pause after a few minutes. Had to encode a few of my files at lower bit rates for smooth playback
  • ussalaskaussalaska Posts: 93Members ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    I have to agree I have noticed bit rates 18Mbs and above does tend to stutter even in direct play. I put my roku in developer mode and saw playing 20mbs with 108Mbs bandwidth and it stuttered. Won't on my mac, not a bandwidth or server issue. I have read roku does not recommend playing anything over 15mbs. Don't reencode lower the bandwidth setting in plex and make the file direct stream.
  • ionic575ionic575 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey guys,

I’m having the same problem.

We are experiencing significant difficulties with streaming Blu-Ray MP4 videos to our new Roku 3 device, as the videos continue to require buffering during streaming.

PMS 0.9.8.17

- Transcoding Quality = Prefer High Quality

- AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850e, 2.51 GHz

- 16 GB RAM

- Gigabit Wired connection

Roku 3 v.5.3

- Gigabit Wired connection

- Plex app v.2.8.2

Scenario 1

- Local bitrate:  8.0 mbps, 1080p

- Remote bitrate: 3.0 mbps, 720p

DVD (720p) MP4 Movie = Good. No problems.

Blu-Ray (1080p) MP4 Movie = Buffering every 60 - 90 seconds.

Scenario 2

- Local bitrate:  3.0 mbps, 720p

- Remote bitrate: 3.0 mbps, 720p

DVD (720p) MP4 Movie = Good. No problems.

Blu-Ray (1080p) MP4 Movie = Buffering every 5 - 7 minutes.

Please HELP!

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

• roadbikerroadbiker Posts: 2Members

Try setting the local bitrate to 20 Mb/s.  While testing the high bitrate file I mentioned above, I found that it would buffer/stutter at the lower bitrates, but played smoothly at 20 Mb/s.

• dcsmith2000dcsmith2000 Posts: 16Members ✭✭

I'm new to video streaming, but thought I'd give it a crack.

I am running a Roku 3 (latest firmware) on a wired Gigabit LAN (no router).  I have encoded Blu-ray discs at a mere 6Mb/sec (MP4).  I am serving the videos up to the Roku 3 using a Synology DS415+ (RAID 5) also with the latest software.  I am running the latest "official" PLEX on the DS415+.  I have set the data rate at 8Mb/sec.  No trans coding is occurring.  The DS415+ is "loafing" like its has very little to do.  Yet, if I look at the video on my 60" LED TV, I can see minor stuttering particularly when the scene is panned.

I have tried encoding at different data rates such as 8, 10, and 12 Mb/sec.  I have also increased the data rate on the Roku 3 accordingly to prevent trans coding.  I see the same results.

What am I missing here?

Here's a new wrinkle.  I tried encoding the same Blu-ray movie using an MKV container rather than the usual MP4 container.  I even encoded it at 10Mb/sec instead of the lowly 6Mb/sec.  It plays flawlessly!  I am now encoding it again at 12Mb/sec into an MKV.  I guess the Roku 3 handles this format better than the MP4.

Update:  The 12MB/sec MKV file works like a champ.  I think I'll quit there as the Roku 3 warns about bitrates higher than 10MB/sec as being unstable.

I'd love to hear an explanation.

• theuser86theuser86 Posts: 575Members ✭✭✭
    Up to peak of 20 Mbps works with Roku 3.
  • publicmail2publicmail2 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I am running a roku 1 1080 and anything over about 4mps starts buffering. I have spent hours looking for problem. The plex server is set correctly, my hardware computer is i7 and ssd fast. The Roku is set to automatic bandwidth. Signal strength is full peg with no interference shown. I can watch 4k video downloads on roku but cannot go over 4mbps with Plex. 3d movies require 8+ mbps. Does anyone have a fix for this as many have the issue? Thx!