Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unable to cast You do not have permission to access this media

WarhandsWarhands Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass
edited December 2013 in Google Chromecast

Is streaming shared libraries going to be allowed in future updates for the Chromecast?

Everything works awesome when watching things from my server. but when trying to cast videos shared with me from my Android phone to the Chromecast I receive the message "Unable to cast You do not have permission to access this media" But the same video will play fine on my phone both over 4G and WiFi.

Plex Pass

Nexus 5 : 4.4.2

Plex App: 3.2.3.67 (519cea22)

No idea what Chromecast version.. but it auto updates so should be the most recent?

Comments

• WarhandsWarhands Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

After reading another post maybe this is because the user who shared with me does not have Plex Pass? Do both people need to have it to cast?

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,809Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

No, both people don't need PlexPass - the device initiating the cast needs to be logged in with a PlexPass-enabled account.

My guess is the other person has an old Plex Media Server version.

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• WarhandsWarhands Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

Thanks Chris I will find out what version he is running, check for updates, and test again. I appreciate your quick reply!

• lucioferrolucioferro Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am using version 0.9.8.6 of Plex and i have Plex Pass. I can watch my movies from my Android Phone from internet (outsite my lan), but when i try to send to Chromecast i receive this message: "You do not have permission to access this media".

• drzoidberg33drzoidberg33 Posts: 2,563Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    lucioferro wrote:
    I am using version 0.9.8.6 of Plex and i have Plex Pass. I can watch my movies from my Android Phone from internet (outsite my lan), but when i try to send to Chromecast i receive this message: "You do not have permission to access this media".

Your media server is out of date, upgrade to 0.9.8.14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Chris CChris C Posts: 11,809Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Plex Media Server 0.9.8.14 is the minimum version required for PlexPass support.  The currently-available version is 0.9.8.17

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• lie07lie07 Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Shared streaming works when im home, but it doesn't when im at someone elses place trying to cast it. Thats weird. 

• rccypherrccypher Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have encountered this issue with several movies in my collection today. If I play something else for a while and try again the videos begin working. If there is some kind of log data I can gather to assist in ID'ing the issue please let me know and I will do so.