Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast Router Compatibility

AsphyxNYCAsphyxNYC Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,347 Plex Pass

Just found this on the the Google site and thought it might be a useful link for those who seem to have problems streaming to and seeing the Chromecast device with Plex.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en&ref_topic=3447927

It may help you check to see if the Router config is an issue before reporting problems as a Plex Issue.

Comments

• OrionshockOrionshock Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,328 Plex Ninja

That does look useful ;)

"The Vast Majority of problems come from misguided expectations and poor planning." 
    "If you're going to do something, do it right and do it right the first time." -- Unknown.

Occam's Razor Murphy's Law Hanlon's Razor

• AsphyxNYCAsphyxNYC Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,347 Plex Pass
    edited December 2013

So far from looking at the list, Possible problems include:

No Multicast capability, Multicast Disabled or Filtering On

2.4 Ghz band disabled or not supported by the router (CCast only has 2.4Ghz WiFi)

IGMP Enabled or Proxied

AP Isolation on

UPnP settings

IPv6 Disabled

MAC Filtering Enabled

Those are not the only issues that can cause a bad streaming experience.

Interference, Network Congestion, and Poor Reception at the CCast can all lead to poor performance as well as Wifi Sleep, Aggressive Battery Saving settings and Quirks of the ROM of the device your attempting to send and control the CCast with.

But at least it will give folks some reference to ensure the issue isn't router related.

• chrlau5chrlau5 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 66 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

At a friends place I had big problems with getting the chromecast connected to the Zyxel WIFI router it simply could not find the SSID. 

Solution was to change the WIFI channel from 13 I think it was and to 9, maybe 13 was at a frequency that is out of the range of the chromecast.

I hope this might help others with similiar problem.

chrlau5 wrote on January 3 2014, 10:16 AM: »

At a friends place I had big problems with getting the chromecast connected to the Zyxel WIFI router it simply could not find the SSID. 

Solution was to change the WIFI channel from 13 I think it was and to 9, maybe 13 was at a frequency that is out of the range of the chromecast.

No... more likely that there was just interference on that particular channel.

If it had continued I would tell you check to make sure your actually broadcasting SSID from the router...

I've seen a lot of paranoid people who shut it off thinking it will help security but anyone good enough and interested in hacking into your WiFi doesn't need to get an SSID Broadcast to know your router is there...

• chrlau5chrlau5 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 66 Plex Pass
    AsphyxNYC wrote on January 3 2014, 5:20 PM: »

No... more likely that there was just interference on that particular channel.

If it had continued I would tell you check to make sure your actually broadcasting SSID from the router...

I've seen a lot of paranoid people who shut it off thinking it will help security but anyone good enough and interested in hacking into your WiFi doesn't need to get an SSID Broadcast to know your router is there...

Could be interference, but checked with scanner software and no one elses wifi used the 3 highest channels. SSID was broadcasted all the time, but I do agree there are definetly people who does not know about it.

Yes but remember interference can come from a lot more than just another router...

There are a lot of devices that use the 2.4Ghz spectrum like Cordless Phones, and Baby Monitors. Cheap Walkie Talkies even some Home Automation systems use it that are not WiFi Based.

• tagno25tagno25 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    chrlau5 wrote on January 3 2014, 10:16 AM: »

Channels 12, 13, and 14 are illegal in the USA (and North America).  If you are outside North America, either you are using a USA model, or Google has not set the firmware to be different for other areas.

• h00ligan76h00ligan76 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 150 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014
    Sorry to be a parrot in another thread but if you rip to high quality like 4-5 gigs and use a nas, chromecast is a bad solution. The 2.4 band is too slow for direct stream and limiting local bandwidth monipoliZes the nas (at leas most non enterprise) A stream with 4000-5000 nitrate is just too much for 2.4 n. Even at full bore. My chromecast is pegged at 72 and can't hack a stream above 480p h264 without constant buffer You can of course set the initial buffer to something ridiculously long. But there are similarly priced devices which may work better. Unfortunately you really need 5ghz band. Fwiw tivo premieres can't stream to another a 2000 bitrate file without buffering. Google screwed up with the 2.4 limitation. Hopefully a new version is in the works. My tests have been run with an airport express in the same room channel optimized. Inches from the cheomecast with no other clients on the router. If that's not doing it. Transcoding is the only option. Fine if you are running plex in a faster machine. But. Consider other options with far more features. Ie roku appletv etc. Imo
    h00ligan76 wrote on January 16 2014, 11:22 PM: »

Sorry to be a parrot in another thread but if you rip to high quality like 4-5 gigs and use a nas, chromecast is a bad solution. The 2.4 band is too slow for direct stream and limiting local bandwidth monipoliZes the nas (at leas most non enterprise) A stream with 4000-5000 nitrate is just too much for 2.4 n. Even at full bore. My chromecast is pegged at 72 and can't hack a stream above 480p h264 without constant buffer You can of course set the initial buffer to something ridiculously long. But there are similarly priced devices which may work better. Unfortunately you really need 5ghz band. Fwiw tivo premieres can't stream to another a 2000 bitrate file without buffering. Google screwed up with the 2.4 limitation. Hopefully a new version is in the works. My tests have been run with an airport express in the same room channel optimized. Inches from the cheomecast with no other clients on the router. If that's not doing it. Transcoding is the only option. Fine if you are running plex in a faster machine. But. Consider other options with far more features. Ie roku appletv etc. Imo

the CCast can handle bitrates up to around 10 Mbps and so can the Wireless 2.4Ghz band.

The issue with choking the network tends to be from trying to stream FROM a Wireless connected device to the CCast or having the CCast be on the edge of good reception of the router signal. Yes there is a point where the power of the Transcoding machine comes into play but it is not as much a factor as the method of transmission is.

WiFi is a Half Duplex system. Think of the total throughput as a Party line where each device eats up the available bandwidth of that WiFi. While it has a top speed for connection each connection divides that top speed by the number of connections being used simultaneously.

the 2.4 Ghz WiFi can more than handle a 10Mbps Bitrate (In many PERFECT cases can go as high as 40-50Mbps burst throughput but I doubt the CCast can actually handle that). So if you are streaming 10Mbps from a wireless device running PMS to another wireless device (like the CCast) your actually using up 20Mbps of that WiFi throughput to make that stream connection. If your Wireless reception is rock solid you probably won't have issues with that, Increase the Bitrate above 10Mbps and your actually pushing the WiFi to close to it's limits where any other Wireless request can mess with the timely transfer of Stream data.

Now I understand why many people would prefer to keep a Library encoded at the Highest possible Quality and Bitrate to be displayed on their Highest Quality Device in full resolution. (just wait till 4K becomes the new standard) This in a nutshell is why Plex Media Server and DLNA Transcoding was invented! One High Quality Source used to make lower quality easier to stream sources for devices and transmission methods that need it.

But to keep your Library at such a high Quality also comes with a price (In addition to the massive storage requirements) in that you have to be running PMS and it's Transcoder on a machine with plenty enough horsepower to be able to reasonably transcode such high quality streams to much lower bitrates without breaking a sweat. And those who are that picky about high Quality viewing are probably not going to like what they see from a Chromecast anyway. Roku and AppleTV either truth be told. (though those may be capable of better quality due to being wired and slightly more powerful internally.)

In the end you have to find a balance in your source and ask yourself HOW HIGH is HIGH ENOUGH for display and encode your source to the point where the quality is acceptable but the bitrate, filesize and resolution is manageable and easily transcoded by your server.

NAS users are the ones who have to make the most compromises here due to the low power of those units and limitations of the storage.

Those who run a full blown server that can see and process files from all over the network will be forced to compromise less.

In the end the Transcoder in PMS should be able to make any lower quality stream needed. And if it can't, in most cases it isn't the transcoder that is the problem it is the machine it is running on or the Transmission (Wireless vs Wired) that is getting in the way.

While the CCast probably would be better with a dual band radio and make transcoding and transmission life easier in the end there is a reason why it only costs $35 compared to $50-100 like the other stream boxes do.

I hope to see two things in the CCast future which are quite realistic...

1 - A Wired Ethernet Dongle that plugs into the USB power port and allows us to bypass the Wireless of the CCast entirely

2 - a Next Gen CCast that has a much beefier and capable internals that can support much more than just MP4 and maybe even play MKVs natively via a Codec database similar to the way Windows Media Player can download codecs as needed which is the one key issue with MKV in that it has an anything goes inside approach.

• vulcanjedivulcanjedi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 443 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

I picked up the chromecast and it was underwhelming for someone such as myself. Theres other ways to get online videos to your TV, and chromecast was far from easy as I found out. I was pretty disappointed to take to friends and discover his popular Linksys E3000 premium consumer router is nonsupported.

I gave it a pass and resold it. Upon hindsight, I'd certainly advocate a roku 3 instead

Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If they have helped, let them know.

vulcanjedi wrote on January 17 2014, 6:57 PM: »

I picked up the chromecast and it was underwhelming for someone such as myself. Theres other ways to get online videos to your TV, and chromecast was far from easy as I found out. I was pretty disappointed to take to friends and discover his popular Linksys E3000 premium consumer router is nonsupported.

I gave it a pass and resold it. Upon hindsight, I'd certainly advocate a roku 3 instead

Yes VulcanJedi...

If you looking for a high quality video experience a $35 Dongle is not going to cut it for you...

Roku 3 isn't all that much better other than it can be wired which the CCast could do if Google just added an Adapter that has Ethernet you could run the power through.

The Chromecast does much more than the Roku as far as it isn't made just to do Video or Audio. It is designed to be a replacement and Miracast killer not a Roku/AppleTV or even a Google TV killer!

It's meant to be portable not high end,,,

• TaperwoodTaperwood Members, Plex Pass Posts: 8 Plex Pass

My router (Actiontec GT-701) is on the list as a No.  Yet my Chromecast had worked perfectly for the two months I've owned it until two weeks ago when I started getting a "No Player Found" error on every attempt to connect with my desktop browser, laptop browser, and Nexus 7, even though the Chromecast is shown as available on wifi with good signal strength.  A Chromecast reboot fixes it until the next day when it does it again...every single day now for over two weeks.  I'm now going to try a firmware update on my modem and see if that fixes it.  I've tried everything else I could think of.

Actiontec GT-701R router

HP 1410-24G switch

Ubiquiti Unifi LR WiFi access point.

Taperwood wrote on January 20 2014, 11:01 PM: »

My router (Actiontec GT-701) is on the list as a No.  Yet my Chromecast had worked perfectly for the two months I've owned it until two weeks ago when I started getting a "No Player Found" error on every attempt to connect with my desktop browser, laptop browser, and Nexus 7, even though the Chromecast is shown as available on wifi with good signal strength.  A Chromecast reboot fixes it until the next day when it does it again...every single day now for over two weeks.  I'm now going to try a firmware update on my modem and see if that fixes it.  I've tried everything else I could think of.

Actiontec GT-701R router

HP 1410-24G switch

Ubiquiti Unifi LR WiFi access point.

I wouldn't think the Modem has anything to do with it but it could be a firmware update on the router that made the change.

Usually the no player found error has to do with a blocking of certain types of broadcast and if there is a support website for that router I would ask them about that as they could look up what signals need to be allowed to pass and tell you what to do about it in the settings.

I just looked it up on the Google Chart....It says no but it does have a solution as well

You need Multicast and UPnP enabled.

Check your router for setting related to both, I'm betting it auto upgraded firmware that changed those settings or killed the Multicast support which some of their router do not support.

I would go to their site and complain loudly till you get someone to acknowledge they need to support those these days.

AsphyxNYC wrote on January 21 2014, 12:53 AM: »

I just looked it up on the Google Chart....It says no but it does have a solution as well

You need Multicast and UPnP enabled.

Check your router for setting related to both, I'm betting it auto upgraded firmware that changed those settings or killed the Multicast support which some of their router do not support.

The problem is that there are no settings for either multicast or UPnP for the router.  I hoped a firmware update would add those settings as this modem is many years old. So I did the update and nothing changed.  No new settings and it still lost the Chromecast.  I'm kind of stuck as far as the router goes for now.  I spent the rest of the evening playing around with various things and stumbled across a setting to add the Chromecast to the Samsung TV's Anynet settings and suddenly I was able to turn the TV off and back on and still have the Chromecast show up on my Nexus 7.  That hasn't happened for two weeks, so maybe I made some progress tonight.  I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'm still convinced it's a network thing and that there is nothing wrong with the Chromecast, but maybe I'm looking it it wrongly.  Instead of approaching from the perspective of the router not finding the Chromecast, it might be the Chromecast not finding the router.  I'll keep at it and let everyone know if I find a stable solution.

Taperwood wrote on January 21 2014, 6:34 AM: »

The problem is that there are no settings for either multicast or UPnP for the router.  I hoped a firmware update would add those settings as this modem is many years old. So I did the update and nothing changed.  No new settings and it still lost the Chromecast.  I'm kind of stuck as far as the router goes for now.  I spent the rest of the evening playing around with various things and stumbled across a setting to add the Chromecast to the Samsung TV's Anynet settings and suddenly I was able to turn the TV off and back on and still have the Chromecast show up on my Nexus 7.  That hasn't happened for two weeks, so maybe I made some progress tonight.  I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'm still convinced it's a network thing and that there is nothing wrong with the Chromecast, but maybe I'm looking it it wrongly.  Instead of approaching from the perspective of the router not finding the Chromecast, it might be the Chromecast not finding the router.  I'll keep at it and let everyone know if I find a stable solution.

Is this one of those hybrid Modem/Routers that your ISP provided to you?

IF it is then I would highly suggest getting your own router to connect to it and use just the Modem part of the Actiontec.

The chromecast definitely looks for the router not the other way around...You give it the info when you initially setup the CCast.

If it says connected on the CCast screen then it found and connected to the router successfully but that doesn't mean anyone on that network can see it unless UPnP is enabled on your network. The Discovery part of DIAL uses UPnP.

What you found on the TV was a setting for HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) . Samsung calls it anynet and each manufacturer calls it something different but it is all HDMI-CEC.  That will allow the CCast to turn the TV on and switch to the CCast input when a stream starts. It does not however turn the TV off or go back to the last input before it took over when done (many wish it would!)

You say your Nexus can see the CCast and if that is the case the others devices should too.

If you mean you see it on your WiFi AP scan list then you need to run the CCast setup utility on your Nexus (available in the play store). It will help the CCast to connect to the Router properly (and if any security is required aka WPA).  

Lets just start from the top here and see if we can't sort you out....

tell me if the CCast screen says it is connected...

If it is and some devices see it in their DIAL Selector ( the Icon in plex to select CCast to connect to) but not others, then the issue is with those devices not the router or CCast...

If that is the case try disabling any firewall on the units that do not see it and see if that helps...

If it says connected and no devices see the CCast as available then you probably need to scrap the router and get something better. You can still use it as a Modem but you need to disable the antiquated Router and use something newer.

If it does not say connected on the CCast screen then run the setup utility on any device that has WiFi built in (required for setup)

One last question that may be causing your sometimes but not all times issue...

Is your Wireless Router protected with WPA or WEP?

If not and there are other unprotected WiFi APs close by it is possible that the CCast is jumping to some other network that appears stronger to it.

I doubt highly that is the case as I would suspect Google would be smart enough to never let the CCast automatically connect to any WiFi you didn't personally select but maybe they overlooked that. Especially common with MACs I have seen folks lose connection because they lost signal to their own router only to have the machine jump to someone else's unprotected WiFi AP.

AsphyxNYC wrote on January 21 2014, 7:29 PM: »

If it says connected and no devices see the CCast as available then you probably need to scrap the router and get something better. You can still use it as a Modem but you need to disable the antiquated Router and use something newer.

Bingo!  I appreciate your trying to help.  This is what is happening most likely.  I have enough basic knowledge of networking to have already addressed the other questions you asked and basically it is coming down to this.  The success with Anynet was just a fluke.  I could not repeat it this morning.  I was really grasping at straws on that one.  My router is simply too old to understand Multicast or UPnP, let alone configure it.  I'm surprised my Chromecast even works at all, but I can still use it with a simple reboot each time.

So, I'm on the hunt for a new wired router with ADSL2+ modem.  I don't need a wireless router because I have my Unifi access point for wifi that I am very happy with.  It has given me zero trouble since installing it early last year.

Taperwood wrote on January 21 2014, 10:19 PM: »

So, I'm on the hunt for a new wired router with ADSL2+ modem.  I don't need a wireless router because I have my Unifi access point for wifi that I am very happy with.  It has given me zero trouble since installing it early last year.

Yes new Router is probably best...

I suggest avoiding Hybrid devices though and getting yourself a separate ADSL modem and Router. (You can probably configure the actiontec to just be a modem) which would solve your problem.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Plex Pass

I have the Asus RT-AC66U and it's not listed, but I assume the similar models mean that mine is ok. I don't have much trouble, only once in awhile, so thinking not my router. Just want to make sure.

Who adds routers to that list?

bmancreations wrote on February 1 2014, 7:53 PM: »

I have the Asus RT-AC66U and it's not listed, but I assume the similar models mean that mine is ok. I don't have much trouble, only once in awhile, so thinking not my router. Just want to make sure.

Who adds routers to that list?

Google maintains that link and I suppose they might add to it whenever they get enough support requests regarding a particular Router...

If your seeing and casting to the CCast then your router isn't a problem. Network congestion could be an issue at times but all routers can have that happen at times of heavy use.

Most other issues are Reception at the CCast Location and Transcoder related.

If you don't have consistent problems then your fine and look towards what kind of content you're having the problem with, Does it require Transcoding and is the CCast losing connection when it happens.

I solved my problem with my CCast.  I ended up buying a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL2+ modem/router.  I chose this model because most reviewers say it's a good modem and is easy to set up (all true from my perspective).  Since I don't need a wireless router and I was not having any trouble with my old wired router/modem except with the CCast, I decided to save some money and stick with a one-box solution.  I'll get a standalone router only if I start having problems with my network in the future.

I've been set up for over a week now and my CCast is now 100% available to all my devices.  I've had no issues yet except that I do notice it takes a few minutes to show up after the TV is turned on but it always eventually shows up with no intervention on my part.  I'm now optimistic my problem is solved.  It was almost certainly the old router's lack of UPnP and multicast support causing the problem.

Thank you, AsphyxNYC, for all your input.  It's much appreciated.