If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Manual Scrape Syntax (.nfo, .tbn., .jpg)

ryan_newellryan_newell Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass
What is the proper syntax for labeling movie info, fan art and poster art? Is this documented somewhere? Is there a maximum size for poster art? I read somewhere that 256x256 was the max size.

I've spent hours on the forums and can't seem to find a definitive answer and also keep running into reports that various features are disabled. Fanart? Local Scraping? Split movies?

If some or all manual scraping is disabled what WILL the proper syntax be? I've spent a couple days with Ember Media Manager getting everything dialed in and none of it appears to be working.

Currently I Have:

N:\Movies\American Beauty (1999)\
American Beauty (1999).mkv
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn
N:\Movies\American Psycho (2000)\
American Psycho (2000).mkv
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn
M:\Movies\Mulholland Drive (2001)\
VIDEO_TS\
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VTS_01_5.VOB

Comments

• ryan_newellryan_newell Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass
    UPDATE: .nfo files are being scraped properly. Both fanart and cover appear to still be pulling from the internet regardless of what I name the files.
  • justinjbirdjustinjbird Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass
    edited December 2009
    Rather than starting up my own thread, thought I'd resurrect this one as I am having similar problems in the hope that either the OP has sorted his problems and can help or hopefully someone else can!

I discovered Ember Media Manager (EMM) over the weekend and have been using this on my Storage machine (a PC with all my movies, music, pictures on it). I've chosen a small section of my movie collection to do a trial run of EMM on over the weekend - the "Kids Films" section, my daughter's Disney film collection! I've pretty quickly created a full set of images and full movie info for all the movies in this folder. FYI, all films are full DVD rips eg:

\Kids Films\Bolt (2008)\VIDEO_TS\

My understanding of how this works is that by creating an .nfo file in the movie folder, this will tell Plex where to go for the poster and fanart images in addition to all the additional info that can be scraped. Additionally, I believe that for the .nfo file to be detected by Plex it needs to have the naming convention <moviename>.nfo. In other words, if I was using .avi files then the .nfo file would be:

\Kids Films\Bolt (2008)\Bolt (2008).nfo

However, as I am using DVD rips, the "moviename" is VIDEO_TS and therefore the .nfo would be stored in the VIDEO_TS folder and named like so:

\Kids Films\Bolt (2008)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.nfo

Now EMM does sets up the .nfo file as above and having had a look through the .nfo file, the images are pointing to the correct locations of the .tbn and .jpg files. As the .nfo file is driving the image location, I haven't intentionally conformed to Plex's desired naming convention of images although I think I'm close anyway. The files of note look like this:

\Kids Films\Bolt (2008)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.nfo (.nfo file)
    \Kids Films\Bolt (2008)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.tbn (poster)
    \Kids Films\Bolt (2008)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS-fanart.jpg (fanart)

So, from there, I've removed my "Kids Films" source from Plex and when asked, cleaned the library. When I rescraped, it would appear that the .nfo files have been detected as (I think!) there is a major change in the amount of information available for these films however, there has been no change to the fanart / posters used.

I did a bit more reading and discovered the "user data" folder and that all the fanart / posters were cached there. Reading somewhere it suggested renaming the thumbnails folder as this would then be rebuilt by Plex on restart. So I then removed the source, cleaned the library, renamed the thumbnails folder, restarted and rescraped. Still, my manually created images aren't being detected?

Is there something I'm missing?

EDITED TO ADD MORE QUESTIONS

Is there any way I can tell if Plex has found the .nfo file??

Presumably, I'm doing the right thing by renaming the thumbnail folder and forcing Plex to rebuild it? If I know this is right then I will go ahead and test different naming conventions to see if I can get it to work.

I'm curious as to what the definitive answer to all this is as I've done a lot of searching on the forums and there are a lot of contradictory suggestions as to how to do this correctly but there doesn't seem to be any definitive instructions as to how to do this properly (Phunkysai, I mean no offence by this and I appreciate your contribution, just an observation).
  • phunkysaiphunkysai Posts: 1,163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Not sure if this will work, but try renaming the poster to "movie.tbn" (name it 'movie.tbn' not 'Bolt.tbn'), and then put that in the root "Bolt (2008)" folder.

For the fanart image, try naming it "fanart.jpg" (not "Bolt (2008)-fanart.jpg) and also put it in the root "Bolt (2008)" folder, not in the video_ts folder.

See if that works...
  • justinjbirdjustinjbird Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass
    phunkysai wrote on 14 December 2009 - 04:38 PM:

Not sure if this will work, but try renaming the poster to "movie.tbn" (name it 'movie.tbn' not 'Bolt.tbn'), and then put that in the root "Bolt (2008)" folder.

For the fanart image, try naming it "fanart.jpg" (not "Bolt (2008)-fanart.jpg) and also put it in the root "Bolt (2008)" folder, not in the video_ts folder.

See if that works...

Is that in an attempt to get Plex to recognise the files rather than it using the .nfo file to identify them?
  • phunkysaiphunkysai Posts: 1,163Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Yeah...