Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Simplex.e for Plex Home Theater by inbox

inboxinbox Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Simplex

Simplex.e is a redesigned version of simplex skin for Plex Home Theater. 

I wanted to put emphasis on Movies,TV shows sections and OSD screens prioritizing the simplicity and the clarity with a tidy interface. I did it for personal use and i would like to share with you. I hope I have succeeded it and enjoy it. 

i should like also to express my thanks and appreciation to the original programmers of Simplex or any coder. I have no doubt now that it can be a hard work.

best regards,

Screenshots and download (v.1.5.0)

Notes 

• to show list with full screen movie info please press the <left> button and to exchange views. You can use <up>, <down>, <menu>, <hold-menu> and <Play> buttons in this view and with any mods too. 
  • To show CodecInfo during the playback just press <i> hotkey and/or edit "joystick.AppleRemote.xml".
  • To show the Dialog FullScreen Info is necessary to edit the "joystick.AppleRemote.xml".
    If you don´t know how to edit that file please go to this post with my comments in this thread.
  • Defaults backgrounds: the defaults backgrounds are “bg_home.png”“bg_list.png” and "bg_list_fullview.png" located in \media\background in the skin directory. If you want another ones replace them keeping the same name and extension and disable fanart in skin options.
  • Filters: You can use <u> and <f> keys for filters options on sections screens. If you want to use the apple remote too please edit the xml file in this way. If you prefer the classical filter screen please remove "DialogFilters.xml" and "MyVideoNav.xml" files in 720p skin directory and rename "MyVideoNav_back.xml" file to "MyVideoNav.xml". Start plex.

Simplex.e change log

v1.5.0 - 06.05.2014

• New list with full screen info for TV Shows section. Press the <left> button to exchange views.
  • Back to Helvetica Neue/Arial as the default font.
  • Global small visual improvements.
  • a few fixeds in design and code.
  • highly recommended to have installed Plex Home Theater 1.0.9 or higher.
  • update screenshots.

v1.4.4 - 24.02.2014

• You can directly access to sections without filters screen. Please see notes above for further information.
  • added search option in home screen (thanks Javier)
  • added search show/hide option
  • small changes on home screen design (thanks Javier)
  • others improvements and fixeds (code and design)

v1.4.3 - 31.01.2014

• On deck and Recently info is now more spaced and tidy on Home Screen (both views) and can show very long names. I think it´s now more unified with the rest of the skin.
  • the borders of movie and TV shows are now a bit transparent on info home screen and the tv show thumb border is now rounded.
  • added item rating on home screen.
  • fixed a bug that caused not displayed correctly info on recently queue items.
  • fixed a bug in the text animation on "all episodes" view.
  • OSD textures are now a bit darker via diffuse animation.
  • improved focus subtitle icon.
  • remove mirror effect on music covers during music playback.
  • added an option to show/hide clock on home screen.
  • debugged code via Plex Home Theater log (Mac OS X and Windows)
  • highly recommended to have installed Plex Home Theater 1.0.9 or higher.

v1.4.2 - 26.01.2014

• the movies ant TV shows posters are now proportional to 182x256 size (recommended for 720p/1080p HDTV displays).
  • small fixeds in home screen.
  • fixed the mirror effect in “NowPlaying” visualization during the iTunes playback. (thanks kruisje)

v1.4.11 - 25.01.2014

• the widths of the thumbs is now a bit wider

v1.4.1 - 24.01.2014

• new list with full screen movie info. Press the <left> button to exchange views.
  • you can use <up>, <down>, <menu>, <hold-menu> and <Play> buttons in this view and with any mods too. 
  • added “Original movie title” on full screen info if it is not empty in the data base.
  • the list button remains the same position after playback (Movies and TV Shows)
  • a few fixes in design and code.
  • update "notes".

v.1.4.0 - 17.01.2014

Highlights 

• Movies and TV Show sections are now more clear and tidy.
  • Improve performance.
  • there are many new options to customize the skin now. 
  • Code/Design development finish.

Skin

• fixed list focus on Preferences home screen
  • Home and Lists options are now separated
  • Avenir is the default font now.
  • added plex logo in preferences and other small details.
  • the mod section is also translated into Spanish.
  • fixed the issue which caused to show “Recently Added” instead “On Deck” for an instant if “Show “On Deck” before…” is selected. This was particularly noticeable if “OnDeck list” was shorter than “Recently Added”.

Backgrounds

• you can now disable fanart for home and/or lists sections.
  • new default backgrounds for home and lists screens.  
  • if you want change the defaults backgrounds please read skin notes. 
  • (i love the fanart) but i hope someone enjoy it with these features!

Lists

• new (opcional) extended view with fanart for movies.
  • added logo studio on Movie and TV shows List
  • added content rating  on Movie and TV shows
  • added star rating on Movies
  • added scroll for a very long name on info/OSD screens for Movies and TV Shows.
  • changed the kind scroll for info cast labels.
  • a lot of small fixeds.

New Options

• added “Hide Thumb OnDeck Info”
  • added “Hide Movie Thumb and Show Extended View on Movie List”.
  • added “Hide Studio Logo on Movie List”.
  • added “Hide Content Rating on Movie List”.
  • added “Hide TV Show Thumb on Season List.”
  • added “Hide FanArt on Lists and Show Background on Lists”.
  • added “Show FanArt on Home screen and Hide Home Background”.

OSD

• new Dialog Info for TV shows on playback screen.
  • the Dialog Info for Movies remains the same.
  • fixed texture OSD

Code

• Movies and TV shows info code re-writed.
  • added animation (fade) in Dialog Video Info
  • added animation (fade) in Dialog audio/subtitles osd.
  • added animation (fade) from sections to home screen.

v.1.3.0 - 10.01.2014

Skin

• added “simplex.e” as name of skin in appearance screen.
  • After this update must be selected it again.

Code

• animations smoother.
  • update internal information for Plex Home Theatre (Frodo)
  • added a internal resolution for 16:10 aspect ratio screens.
  • The default aspect ratio remains 16:9.
  • update preferences UI for native PHT support.
  • update code for PHT audio and video settings.
  • clean up a lot of code.

Channels

• Channels fix iTunes channel.
  • fixed iPhoto channel
  • fixed video and photo thumbs in channels.

Lists

• fixed widths in lists and Dialog VideoInfo OSD if they are empty in plex data base. OSD
  • new media icons in OSD screen (Thanks Javier)
  • fixed time when 12 hours mode time is set.
  • added playback video resolution information and audio language on OSD screen for movies.
  • added options for changing audio and subtitles on playback screen for movies and TV shows.
  • added CodecInfo screen in videoplayer. Please, use <i> hotkey to show it and/or edit the file joystick.AppleRemote.xml.

Information showed during playback

• For movies now showing: duration, current resolution and language/audiocodec/channels.
  • For TV shows: duration, TV show title and number of season and episode. Dialogs and buttons new buttons add buttons in dialogs.
  • new dialogs including in the audio/video settings screen.
  • backgounds dialogs now showing lighter.

v.1.2.1 - 06.01.2014

• fixed the default focus square position on filters view.
  • performance improvements "On Deck" and "Recently Added" home screen.

v.1.2 - 05.01.2014

• general performance improvements.
  • TV Shows redesigned. media flags code rewritten.
  • fixed position of ratings (you can also disable from mods options)
  • other minor changes.
  • update screenshots.

v.1.1 - 04.01.2014

• redesigned home, list and OSD views.
  • fixed widths and size fonts for large screens.
  • update screenshots.

v.1.0.2 - 03.01.2014

• fixed size fonts in home and list views for better visualization on large screens.
  • added a background texture on list views on top.
  • fixed videoOSD size. Now fits with any movie aspect ratio.
  • new texture on videoOSD.
  • other internal minor changes.

v.1.0.1 - 02.01.2014

• fixed size player progress on VideoOSD display.
  • fixed spanish and swedish languages.

v.1.0.0- 01.01.2014

• Public version
  • many, many things...
Tagged:

Comments

• jvitorerojvitorero Members, Plex Pass Posts: 72 Plex Pass
    Thank U very much inbox, good job!!!
  • OP8OP8 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 116 Plex Pass

How about more detailed info in ondeck and release date for movie/series? Other than that, looks very promising.

ps. after testing for a while, seems the ondeck/recently added loads something everytime a section is changed, dunno if it's the recently added which will quickly appear before ondeck takes the right place, or does it load something from other section first. Might be something to do with the code, or PHT (latest pht and pms in use).

• gandmclarkgandmclark Members, Plex Pass Posts: 64 Plex Pass
    edited January 2014

Just downloaded and it looks nice and tidy. Will use it for a while and report back. Thx.

Just a quick question. How do I get the info panel whilst playing a video as shown in your last screen shot above? I've tried a number of shortcuts and none seem to bring it up. Also, is their any way to show the processing/codec information panel as in the normal PHT skin?

• inboxinbox Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited January 2014

Update to version 1.1

Hope you like it!

Thanks to Malenka for your comments about final design.

edited January 2014

OP8: i tried to show essential and tidy information but you are welcome with your comments. About the loads in ondeck/recently screen it seems so the firsts times especially with large database. After (at least in my test) go fast. Anyway I will review the code to see if I can improve it although i am not a coder. Thanks!

Gracy: i tried for a long time to show codec information but it seems a "feature" from de original simplex code. To show video information see my note above. Anyway i request help about both. Thanks!

Javiervitorero: Gracias! ;)

inbox wrote on January 4 2014, 2:12 PM: »

OP8: i tried to show essential and tidy information but you are welcome with your comments. About the loads in ondeck/recently screen it seems so the firsts times especially with large database. After (at least in my test) go fast. Anyway I will review the code to see if I can improve it although i am not a coder. Thanks!

Gracy: i tried for a long time to show codec information but it seems a "feature" from de original simplex code. To show video information see my note above. Anyway i request help about both. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, I know I might be the only one with this, but I've a huge collection and I'm following/watching a huge section of series, for me to see a synopsis or atleast a few bits of information before loading a episode, specially when I've already watched a series once, it's a big deal. I like the clear layout, it's stunning, but I'm sure with few tweaks it could show a bit more of the episode detail, hence why I requested that. Skin is awesome, no one can't say otherwise as it is, huge thanks for you as I'm the like who likes to switch skins around, this is on my list of skins, and on the current PHT, that list isn't long, just a couple ones :)

edited January 2014
    inbox wrote on January 4 2014, 2:12 PM: »

Thanks for your reply, I know I might be the only one with this, but I've a huge collection and I'm following/watching a huge section of series, for me to see a synopsis or atleast a few bits of information before loading a episode, specially when I've already watched a series once, it's a big deal. I like the clear layout, it's stunning, but I'm sure with few tweaks it could show a bit more of the episode detail, hence why I requested that. Skin is awesome, no one can't say otherwise as it is, huge thanks for you as I'm the like who likes to switch skins around, this is on my list of skins, and on the current PHT, that list isn't long, just a couple ones :)

Also after a bit more testing, it's the recently added that flashes quickly before ondeck takes it's place :)

edited January 2014
    Hi inbox, perhaps is there a little problem with the position of ratings?

tfpn.png
  • SaschaSascha Members Posts: 45

Thank you very much for this AWESOME skin!

edited January 2014

Update to version 1.2

Hope you like it! (if i may i love it now   :wub: )

Thanks to javiervitorero for reporting the problem with the position of ratings.

edited January 2014

Thanks inbox, definitely it's now my prefered skin, muchísimas gracias!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

edited January 2014

Update to version 1.2.1!

Your grateful comments are very appreciated. Thanks!

i will try to rest   ^_^ 

Hi Inbox,

I'm using Plex since 2009, and for me, the best skin that has been made is Simplex, but due to his creator stopped to develop it I've had to resign myself to use other that didn't fully convince me. Really thank you very much for your great job, finally I return to have my media center as I like it! I really thank you.

I'm not a coder, I'm only a passionate of graphic design, and I have dared to modify your excellent work, with a small change in the OSD menu buttons. Sorry, but I don't like yours too much. I hope no offense, in my opinion it has been a little change that I think it is not bad. Really they are those of the skin Simplex.Energized, adjusted in size.

They are not too original, but I like them more.

knd8.png

If you like it, I could send to you the folder OSD.

Thank you very much again.

Regards,

Javier

edited January 2014

hi javier, are these media icons from simplex energize skin? In this case i can get it.

You are welcome with your comment. In fact, i think is a great idea and i would like to test it. That focus effect is nice. Thanks!

Now I am working and testing version 1.3 with CodecInfo OSD screen among other changes. I hope to have enough time this week to finish and test it. I would like to upload on Friday or Saturday of this week and maybe (and who knows) with these media icons.

i love Plex and Simplex too. :wub:  

This is the link to download the folder OSD with the buttons:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzc8icqejkv4ypu/osd.zip

javiervitorero wrote on January 8 2014, 12:40 PM: »

This is the link to download the folder OSD with the buttons:

thanks!

• MichielMichiel Plex Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 865 Plex Ninja
    edited January 2014

Where do you put those OSD buttons? in what dir?

Edit: NVM found it already, just in the media folder of the skin :)

Sorry,

You must to replace the folder "OSD" located in:

/Library/Application Support/Plex Home Theater/Addons/skin.simplex.e/media

by this one:

I've made some new changes to the appearance of buttons to adequate them to the style of Plex&Simplex. I'll hope you like it:

cujl.png

Link of new folder OSD: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thwoxo2d7dz3982/_dK0r2iavy/osd.zip

Thanks for your patience  :rolleyes:

Sorry  :wub: ,

Finally I think the best combination is this:

7hda.png

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka3q1vejfgudv5l/osd%20final.zip

:blink:  :blink:  :blink: