Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS as a service

Comments

• jstn29jstn29 Members Posts: 2
    cjmurph wrote on March 16 2014, 1:56 AM: »

Use a password ;P

I suppose this means there's no way for PMS Service to work without a password? :lol:

• CaveatCaveat Members, Plex Pass Posts: 336 Plex Pass
    jstn29 wrote on March 16 2014, 2:22 AM: »

I suppose this means there's no way for PMS Service to work without a password? :lol:

System Security 101 - No Unsecured Accounts (ie, they all have passwords).

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!"

"RAM DISK is not an installation procedure."

Coincidence is just another of Murphy's many names, and he never RSVP's or let's you know ahead of time that he is on his way.

• Lindsay245Lindsay245 Members Posts: 5 Plex Pass

thanks for this its great

• SkOrPnSkOrPn Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    jstn29 wrote on March 16 2014, 2:22 AM: »

I used to hate the idea of having passwords on a machine that only I will ever touch as well. But the industry will never understand and will never consider making things easier for individuals who do not want to use a device that requires entering a password. It's just easier to accept it and use a password. They design everything that way now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    SkOrPn wrote on March 16 2014, 2:36 PM: »

I used to hate the idea of having passwords on a machine that only I will ever touch as well. But the industry will never understand and will never consider making things easier for individuals who do not want to use a device that requires entering a password. It's just easier to accept it and use a password. They design everything that way now.

The service wrapper is more for those of us that are more conscious of security issues, and want the benefits of a true service.

If you are anti security, just install plex as usual, set to run at startup, set your machine to auto logon... poof, done.

These are my opinions and only my opinions, unless you share them as well, which would make them our opinions, but I am not of the opinion that I can express your opinion as my opinion without your prior expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion, and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your opinion to which I only agree.

Coincidence is just another of Murphy's many names, and he never RSVP's or let's you know ahead of time that he is on his way.

edited March 2014
    Cav wrote on March 18 2014, 5:25 AM: »

The service wrapper is more for those of us that are more conscious of security issues, and want the benefits of a true service.

If you are anti security, just install plex as usual, set to run at startup, set your machine to auto logon... poof, done.

I'm definitely NOT anti-security as I was a professional website Admin for 8 years, but on a personal media server machine that is hidden behind a hardware and software firewall and is hidden from anyone else, yes it can get tedious to enter a password, just to use it. It doesn't have a video card, nor a keyboard or mouse. Its like using a password to enter your bathroom, or refrigerator, in fact the last block of cheese in the fridge is more important to have a password on. Security is needed for sensitive things that can get stolen by bad guys, computers at risk, safes with sensitive documents etc. For some user machines that is impossible. Furthermore, it is a media server, nothing more. If the NSA wants to listen to my collection of Def Leppard, or Elvis Presley, or even my Sons Metallica collection, so be it. It's not the end of the world.

I use passwords for everything these days, I just don't like it on everything, especially when its completely unnecessary. lol

• GumbyGGumbyG Members Posts: 2

I'm not sure the right place to pose this question, but this thread seems central to my decision making process so I'll post it here.  My apologies if it's literally not the proper forum. ;)

We're considering cutting the cord this year and getting a new machine to serve as both our family's desktop and a plex server.  I'd like this machine to be able to serve two streams to two different roku devices in the house in the background, independent of someone logging on to the desktop.  The computer would have a Hauppauge tuner card installed for recording OTA broadcast programs.  I'm looking into some barebones options that I can upgrade, but I'd like to have the operating system from the start, and I'm wondering if it has to be a server based solution (like WHS), or if what I'm looking for (streaming in the background while an unrelated user is logged in to the machine, oblivious to Plex' activity aside from resource usage) can be handled by Windows 7 Premium or Windows 8.  If so, I've read that Win 7's included Media Center is a bonus for dealing with the OTA stuff, but if Win 8's the better solution going forward, is there a good free option to use that effectively duplicates the Media Center, or do I have to spend the extra 100 bucks to upgrade that OS to the Pro Pack to get a good solution for scheduling OTA recordings? 

I've got enough experience with computers to be dangerous, but I'm not someone who enjoys tinkering around in the engine room for the sake of tinkering.  This is my first go at a server-like solution, so I'd appreciate any and all advice.  It sounds like some of the posters here are implying this service workaround will work with 7 or 8, but I'm not certain it will work as I've stated the proposition.

• richbutler1@gmail.comrichbutler1@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 36 Plex Pass

Well, you've got a multi-part question:

1 - OS - You do not need to go with a true server OS.  Actually, you can see that PMS is designed for a desktop OS, though it can run on Win server 2008/2012/WHS2011/2012Essentials,  If you don't have a need for server OS, I'd go with Win 7 and get Media Center out of the box.  Win 8 is soon to be displaced by Win9, so going Win 7 is still a more than viable path to ensure stable third party support, video drivers, etc. until 9 comes out, then wait a bit on that for the .0 release bugs to shake out.   If you are the type that doesn't want to get into the engine room too much, go Win 7, bonus MC, install this, enter bios and set machine to auto start on AC power.  My understanding is Win8 Media Center is included in Pro or $$ on top of standard.

Recommendation:  Look into Silicondust HDHomeRun networked media tuner.   You will still be able to record in Win Media Center, but if you have a laptop or PC in another room, you can stream TV to it if on Windows 7.  Keep in mind that if you setup your Media Center to record TV, there are a ways to convert the file from .WTV format to MP4.  Then Plex will be able to direct stream the file with less/no transcoding overhead.

Tips for Windows Media Center:  If you're planning on having a large hard drive to store your video files, make it separate from your system drive.  In Windows Media Center, change your recording drive to this new drive (e.g. D: )   This is especially true if you have an SSD for a system drive.

2 - I have three Roku 3's   Plex is the only reason I had for really getting them.  I love having my libraries easily stream through the app.  As far as two streams, I have an AMD setup with an FX-8350, 16Gb 1600ram, Windows server 2012 essentials (because it backs up my pcs)   I am now streaming to 3 devices at the same time: 1- Roku3 1080p 8mbps, 2-PC Win7 1080p 8mbps, 3-Samsumg Galaxy S4 1080p 8mbps     No stuttering or buffering for 15 minutes now.  CPU for transcoder on server is 10-25% cpu load   So this tells me you will need a solid CPU to do what you plan.

GumbyG wrote on March 20 2014, 12:49 AM: »

I'm not sure the right place to pose this question, but this thread seems central to my decision making process so I'll post it here.  My apologies if it's literally not the proper forum. ;)

We're considering cutting the cord this year and getting a new machine to serve as both our family's desktop and a plex server.  I'd like this machine to be able to serve two streams to two different roku devices in the house in the background, independent of someone logging on to the desktop.  The computer would have a Hauppauge tuner card installed for recording OTA broadcast programs.  I'm looking into some barebones options that I can upgrade, but I'd like to have the operating system from the start, and I'm wondering if it has to be a server based solution (like WHS), or if what I'm looking for (streaming in the background while an unrelated user is logged in to the machine, oblivious to Plex' activity aside from resource usage) can be handled by Windows 7 Premium or Windows 8.  If so, I've read that Win 7's included Media Center is a bonus for dealing with the OTA stuff, but if Win 8's the better solution going forward, is there a good free option to use that effectively duplicates the Media Center, or do I have to spend the extra 100 bucks to upgrade that OS to the Pro Pack to get a good solution for scheduling OTA recordings? 

I've got enough experience with computers to be dangerous, but I'm not someone who enjoys tinkering around in the engine room for the sake of tinkering.  This is my first go at a server-like solution, so I'd appreciate any and all advice.  It sounds like some of the posters here are implying this service workaround will work with 7 or 8, but I'm not certain it will work as I've stated the proposition.

• GumbyGGumbyG Members Posts: 2
    richbutler1@gmail.com wrote on March 20 2014, 12:05 PM: »

Well, you've got a multi-part question:

1 - OS - You do not need to go with a true server OS.  Actually, you can see that PMS is designed for a desktop OS, though it can run on Win server 2008/2012/WHS2011/2012Essentials,  If you don't have a need for server OS, I'd go with Win 7 and get Media Center out of the box.  Win 8 is soon to be displaced by Win9, so going Win 7 is still a more than viable path to ensure stable third party support, video drivers, etc. until 9 comes out, then wait a bit on that for the .0 release bugs to shake out.   If you are the type that doesn't want to get into the engine room too much, go Win 7, bonus MC, install this, enter bios and set machine to auto start on AC power.  My understanding is Win8 Media Center is included in Pro or $$ on top of standard.

Recommendation:  Look into Silicondust HDHomeRun networked media tuner.   You will still be able to record in Win Media Center, but if you have a laptop or PC in another room, you can stream TV to it if on Windows 7.  Keep in mind that if you setup your Media Center to record TV, there are a ways to convert the file from .WTV format to MP4.  Then Plex will be able to direct stream the file with less/no transcoding overhead.

Tips for Windows Media Center:  If you're planning on having a large hard drive to store your video files, make it separate from your system drive.  In Windows Media Center, change your recording drive to this new drive (e.g. D: )   This is especially true if you have an SSD for a system drive.

2 - I have three Roku 3's   Plex is the only reason I had for really getting them.  I love having my libraries easily stream through the app.  As far as two streams, I have an AMD setup with an FX-8350, 16Gb 1600ram, Windows server 2012 essentials (because it backs up my pcs)   I am now streaming to 3 devices at the same time: 1- Roku3 1080p 8mbps, 2-PC Win7 1080p 8mbps, 3-Samsumg Galaxy S4 1080p 8mbps     No stuttering or buffering for 15 minutes now.  CPU for transcoder on server is 10-25% cpu load   So this tells me you will need a solid CPU to do what you plan.

Thanks for the response!

Sounds like your system specs are about what I was looking at - two drives, 16M memory, core-i7 4770. Win7 w/ Media Center.  I tend to buy computers like I buy cars - I have two at a time bought 5 years apart; I buy what was state of the art 2 years ago and run it for 10 years.  I was happy to let Plex brute force the transcoding, but it's a good tip about the conversion to MP4 - will definitely look into that.  Just to be certain...  We've got kids, so this machine will have two logins for general computer usage - one for my wife and I, and one for the kids.  Plex running in the background as a service (re: this thread subject) doesn't have to run under a login, and will be invisible to a user sitting at the computer, or logged in using Terminal Services/Remote Desktop, correct?

edited March 2014

Yes, should have been it's own thread. As a 'basic build', I would not be looking to log into this box as a normal desktop PC as anything beyond wiki browsing may cause some issues. Actual hardware needs are going to depend on your usage plans. Take it a notch up from the recommended server specs and go for at least a quad-core 3GHz, 8GB RAM, 3+ HDD's (NOT partitions, HDD's): #1 for OS, #2 for OTA recordings & Transcoding, #3+ for Storage.

If you are planning on running a tuner device, it will have to be a desktop OS (Win7 or Ubuntu are the most popular). TV tuners and Server OS's don't tend to get along so well. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's more work to get it running (and keeping it that way) than most are willing to put into it.

+1 for skipping Hauppage and getting a SiliconeDust HomeRun for your OTA wants. When a family member wanted to do LiveTV recording, we tried (and failed) several devices. Hauppage was not the worst (that acclaim went to Ceton), but we found a single HomeRun device to be superior in many aspects.

2+ Transcodes, 2-3 LiveTV recordings, 2-3 recodings (wtv > mp4/mkv) - WMC is a bit of a resource hog, and adding that to potential transcodes would make it less than ideal for a every-day use PC. Throw in conversions from wtv to mp4/mkv and that has the potential to be a busy little box. You also have a strong potential for User and user installed application conflicts that are best left to a PC that is not being relied upon for entertainment services.

+3 & -1 for Roku3's as clients for Plex: Faster CPU's than older releases, 802.11a/g/n compliant (both 2.4GHZ & 5GHz). For a supposedly superior product, their warranty certainly does NOT reflect it. Make sure to back them with either the retailer extended warranty or use SquareTrade.

EDIT:

Just saw your post, and regarding "We've got kids, so this machine will have two logins for general computer usage - one for my wife and I, and one for the kids." - definitely NOT a PC for everyday usage. I'll reiterate: You also have a strong potential for User and user installed application conflicts that are best left to a PC that is not being relied upon for entertainment services.

• richbutler1@gmail.comrichbutler1@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 36 Plex Pass

@GumbyG,  yes, my understanding is that cjmurph's solution runs as a service without the need to login at all.  Desktop in your case powers up, services start and this is one.   One thing to keep in mind is that the account (administrator) you use to login and install PMS, should be the same account you use for the PMS Service install.  I believe that after both installs, you just log off and you should be fine.   One of the kids logs into their other account and PMS service should still be running.  Some other wise sages here can confirm, but I think you're set.    The i7 4770 you're going to run should be able to handle anything you can throw at it.  Better than the FX-8350 in most benchmarks, but I had an older motherboard that could handle a drop in AMD AM3+ so I had my choice made.  If clean slate, the intel CPU's are awesome.  I was surprised to only draw 95 total watts for my entire server with this chip in there.  Goes to 135W under heavy load.

You should look at MCE Buddy for MP4 conversion.  http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/   May have to explore how to set that up as a service also using svrany.exe if needed.  Enjoy!

• Kent BerryKent Berry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Another +1 internetz for cjmurph. Ironically, I'm trying to get off the Windows merry-go-round and I'm slowly building a ZFS file server. I picked up a copy of WHS 2011 a few months ago when the Egg was blowing them out for $29.99 and decided to update my wheezing WHS V1 server in the meantime. I had run PMS on an old XP SP3 machine which is always logged in and on an Arch Linux test box where it actually runs as, you know, a service. :o  So I hadn't foreseen the problem with killing PMS when logging out and I wasn't in the mood for a long, involved solution. I had PMS Service up and running in about 2 mins. It runs when logged out, is persistent across reboots, and couldn't be easier IMO. Oh, and it's free! :D  

Thanks cjmurph!

• cjmurphcjmurph Members, Plex Pass Posts: 382 Plex Pass
    Plankton wrote on April 3 2014, 2:48 AM: »

Another +1 internetz for cjmurph. Ironically, I'm trying to get off the Windows merry-go-round and I'm slowly building a ZFS file server. I picked up a copy of WHS 2011 a few months ago when the Egg was blowing them out for $29.99 and decided to update my wheezing WHS V1 server in the meantime. I had run PMS on an old XP SP3 machine which is always logged in and on an Arch Linux test box where it actually runs as, you know, a service. :o  So I hadn't foreseen the problem with killing PMS when logging out and I wasn't in the mood for a long, involved solution. I had PMS Service up and running in about 2 mins. It runs when logged out, is persistent across reboots, and couldn't be easier IMO. Oh, and it's free! :D  

Thanks cjmurph!

Thanks Plankton,

ZFS is AWESOME! love it. I use it at work. Are you going freenas or zfsguru or something else entirely?

For home, I reckon stablebit drive pool is pretty unbeatable from a flexibility perspective, which is why I'm still on WHS.

I looked at greyhole again the other day. Might be time to run up a centos box and see if greyhole is close to drivepool. If it is, then it might be time to get rid of whs and say goodbye to this service debacle once and for all.

cjmurph wrote on April 3 2014, 3:09 AM: »

Thanks Plankton,

ZFS is AWESOME! love it. I use it at work. Are you going freenas or zfsguru or something else entirely?

For home, I reckon stablebit drive pool is pretty unbeatable.

I was thinking of moving away from Windows as well and installing the latest FreeNAS now that it has PMS. I really want to try this ZFS as I always hear good things about it. However the work involved seems insane to try and move from Windows to FreeNAS without a way to transfer the data first. And would there even be any performance gain?

• Kent BerryKent Berry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    cjmurph wrote on April 3 2014, 3:09 AM: »

....... Are you going freenas or zfsguru or something else entirely?.....

Right now, I'm planning to do a bare metal install of Illumos' OmniOS and manage it with napp-it unless you or anyone else knows of any reason why that's a bad idea. I built a little test pool of one drive  :D, set the permissions using the napp-it interface, and mapped the share as a network drive and transferred some files back and forth. It seems pretty straightforward. I probably ought to try FreeNAS (which I haven't done) before I make a final decision, especially if PMS is now included in the build.

SkOrPn wrote on April 3 2014, 5:52 AM: »

....However the work involved seems insane to try and move from Windows to FreeNAS without a way to transfer the data first....

It definitely can be a lot of work if you have a lot of data. But it might very well be the last time you have to do it for a long time. The Stablebit people pulled our **** out of the fire for an upgrade from WHS V1 to WHS 2011. They might not be there next time. Obviously, the fine folks in Redmond couldn't care less.  If you haven't already, check out Serve The Home, especially the forums, for an idea of what's involved and what kind of hardware you'd need and what it will cost. 

SkOrPn wrote on April 3 2014, 5:52 AM: »

I was thinking of moving away from Windows as well and installing the latest FreeNAS now that it has PMS. I really want to try this ZFS as I always hear good things about it. However the work involved seems insane to try and move from Windows to FreeNAS without a way to transfer the data first. And would there even be any performance gain?

I doubt you'd see a performance gain at all. It's not why I'd do it personally. 

I personally find that for what my server does, windows is not required, and is in fact more work than *nix. I run sabnzbd, sickbeard and plex media server on my server. Of those applications, only sab can be run as a service natively and even that is not uber simple (it is pretty simple though). Running these apps on *nix is so simple its ridiculous, in fact you get to the end and think... "Am I finished, I don't think I should be finished". The only thing holding me on WHS is stabelbit drivepool. It's freakin awesome. *nix has greyhole, but its still technically beta. whatyado??...

Plankton wrote on April 4 2014, 6:05 AM: »

Right now, I'm planning to do a bare metal install of Illumos' OmniOS and manage it with napp-it unless you or anyone else knows of any reason why that's a bad idea. I built a little test pool of one drive  :D, set the permissions using the napp-it interface, and mapped the share as a network drive and transferred some files back and forth. It seems pretty straightforward. I probably ought to try FreeNAS (which I haven't done) before I make a final decision, especially if PMS is now included in the build.

It definitely can be a lot of work if you have a lot of data. But it might very well be the last time you have to do it for a long time. The Stablebit people pulled our **** out of the fire for an upgrade from WHS V1 to WHS 2011. They might not be there next time. Obviously, the fine folks in Redmond couldn't care less.  If you haven't already, check out Serve The Home, especially the forums, for an idea of what's involved and what kind of hardware you'd need and what it will cost. 

It's easy to migrate with pooled systems... just another reason they're great for the home.

freenas is great, the only bugs I've come across were with regard to active directory, so not a big deal at home.

cjmurph wrote on April 4 2014, 7:25 AM: »

I doubt you'd see a performance gain at all. It's not why I'd do it personally.
    I personally find that for what my server does, windows is not required, and is in fact more work than *nix. I run sabnzbd, sickbeard and plex media server on my server. Of those applications, only sab can be run as a service natively and even that is not uber simple (it is pretty simple though). Running these apps on *nix is so simple its ridiculous, in fact you get to the end and think... "Am I finished, I don't think I should be finished". The only thing holding me on WHS is stabelbit drivepool. It's freakin awesome. *nix has greyhole, but its still technically beta. whatyado??...

It's easy to migrate with pooled systems... just another reason they're great for the home.

freenas is great, the only bugs I've come across were with regard to active directory, so not a big deal at home.

So you think whs 2011 and stablebit drivepool is just fine? I also have lights out as well. I have not had any problems with it. I just figured there would be more performance had with freenas and better data protection using zfs.

SkOrPn wrote on April 4 2014, 1:47 PM: »

So you think whs 2011 and stablebit drivepool is just fine? I also have lights out as well. I have not had any problems with it. I just figured there would be more performance had with freenas and better data protection using zfs.

I thnk its fine. My whs with drivepool saturates my 1 gig connection in my home, do you have performance issues with it?. 

I'm no zfs expert, far from it in fact. but I do think its far superior to raid especially domestic level raid, so if it was a choice between raid 5 with a domestic controller or a zfs pool, imo there is no choice. zfs wins hands down.

To reiterate, as far as running a Linux server, I'm personally am not fazed by having a linux box, in fact I quite enjoy the exposure to it, Linux us everywhere these days and having regular exposure to it is not a bad thng, also its better for running the applications that I use. The counter to that is that  I do think that for home use drive pool is near impossible to beat. in the end its a personal decision. I should probably just write service wrappers for all the apps I want to use on my server and leave the whole thing alone :)

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 31,491 Plex Team Member

Cjmurph, When Plex Media Server.exe falls over just after starting up, is it possible to get the full error logged or there is no way of that error message/code being returned to the wrapper?

PMS 0.9.9.9 crashes on launch and when manually launched outside the service wrapper, the error can be seen as 

Ordinal Not Found

The Ordinal 4445 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEA32.dll

But when run through the service, we just get a loop of continuous restart and all that we can see in the service log file is this:

08/04/2014 01:57:41: Plex Media Server version is 0.9.9.9. Can use startup argument.
    08/04/2014 01:57:41: Plex Media Server Started.
    08/04/2014 01:57:41: Plex Media Server has stopped!
    08/04/2014 01:57:41: Killing Plex.
    08/04/2014 01:57:41: Re-starting Plex process.
    08/04/2014 01:57:51: Attempting to start Plex
    08/04/2014 01:57:51: Plex Media Server version is 0.9.9.9. Can use startup argument.
    08/04/2014 01:57:51: Plex Media Server Started.
    08/04/2014 01:57:51: Plex Media Server has stopped!
    08/04/2014 01:57:51: Killing Plex.
    08/04/2014 01:57:51: Re-starting Plex process.
    08/04/2014 01:58:01: Attempting to start Plex
    08/04/2014 01:58:01: Plex Media Server version is 0.9.9.9. Can use startup argument.
    08/04/2014 01:58:01: Plex Media Server Started.
    08/04/2014 01:58:01: Plex Media Server has stopped!
    08/04/2014 01:58:01: Killing Plex.
    08/04/2014 01:58:01: Re-starting Plex process.
    08/04/2014 01:58:11: Attempting to start Plex

and on and on .........

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to

I could get the exit code from plex, but that's just an integer and pretty meaningless to the end user, it won't stop the endless attempts to restart. Plex has its own logs, it would be more useful to add a link to them in the task icon than try and muddy the service logs with the process output from plex. It's a pretty straight forward troubleshooting workflow imo.