Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Are you having Stuttering/Buffering Issues? Look Here

14567810»

Comments

• pwvandeursenpwvandeursen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass

Same here. It used to be great. Did a fresh install and ever since that moment it starts freezing when I turn on subs..... No issues even when audio and video are transcoding, but turning on subs... Always issues

• rsxhawkrsxhawk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

Looked a bit more into this. Even went over to Reddit r/plex and saw that someone who was experiencing similar issues suggested forcing the local quality to 20 Mbps 1080p:

Settings> plex/web> player > streaming quality> local quality set this to 20 Mbps, 1080p

My original setting was at least 8 Mbps 1080p (at least I think it was, I never changed it since the OS upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 so it was most likely a default "local quality" setting), but upping it to 20 Mbps appears to have alleviated "most" of the issues but not all of them. Some minor slow down still occurs at random but it appears to be very rare.

I don't remember what my settings were on my 12.04 install so I could have set it really high like this a long time ago and then never touched it again.

Will monitor and report back either way.

BitFenix Prodigy (White) - ASUS P8H77-I Motherboard - Intel Core i5 3570K - 8GB GSkill Ares Memory - Kingston 90 GB SSD - Seagate 4 TB HD - ZALMAN CNPS8000B 92mm - LG Blu Ray Burner
  • pwvandeursenpwvandeursen Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass

Didn't believe this initially (if we set it to 20mb it will transcode, so how could this alleviate the transcoding issue..).

However I did this with a series with subs which was having buffering issues. When I set it to the max (in this case 4mb), but not to direct, buffering issues disappeared. will need to monitor that the coming days with other series/movies and will report back as well

• rsxhawkrsxhawk Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

I tried to watch another movie with my 20 Mbps settings last night but immediately had buffering issues, within just one or two minutes of playback.

BitFenix Prodigy (White) - ASUS P8H77-I Motherboard - Intel Core i5 3570K - 8GB GSkill Ares Memory - Kingston 90 GB SSD - Seagate 4 TB HD - ZALMAN CNPS8000B 92mm - LG Blu Ray Burner
14567810»