Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Guess the movie from a quote

aeonxaeonx Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,325 Plex Ninja
edited September 2014 in Plex Film Club

Let's start a game, shall we? It goes like this: You give a not too obvious quote from a movie that's not too hard and not too easy, and the first to guess it wins and can state the next quote, after posting some interesting trivia about the movie just guessed. Bonus points for finding and embedding a videoclip where the line is spoken! Googling/searching the quote is not allowed, obviously. ;) If someone gets an answer right, please like his/her post to give karma as a reward.

I'll start:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Comments

• Krs1Krs1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 340 Plex Pass
    edited February 2014

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

- The Dude (The Big Lebowski) 

There's no money, there's no weed. It's all been replaced by a pile of corpses.

• aeonxaeonx Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,325 Plex Ninja
    edited February 2014

That was a tough one... no money, no weed gave it away (after a detour to Trainspotting)  :D

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels by Guy Ritchie (1998)!

Trivia: The word "****" is used 125 times. Body count is 16.

Next:

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

• hthighwayhthighway Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,412 Plex Ninja
    Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

That is from Fight Club

Next:

You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you
    edited February 2014

That was too hard, and noone jumped in, so I had to use Google  :ph34r:

Apparently it's The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Trivia: Daniel Day-Lewis lived in the wilderness where his character might have lived, hunting and fishing and living off the land for several months prior to shooting.

Next:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

• simfec99simfec99 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

That last one was from Blade Runner

Next:

"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"
    edited February 2014

Jaws (1975)

Trivia: The line was improvised by Roy Scheider.

Next:

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 634 Plex Pass
    edited February 2014

Holy Grail

• David + BrookeDavid + Brooke Members, Plex Pass Posts: 53 Plex Pass
    "We're not astronauts, we're oil drillers! We're not even supposed to be here!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 634 Plex Pass

armageddon 

edited February 2014

Mr. Sisco - if you get the answer you can post a quote yourself.  :)

I'll do the next one:

This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts.

edited March 2014

Too difficult? Here's another one:

The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

There are two possible solutions for this quote, as this scene has been shown inside another recent movie, where a very human looking robot imitates the actor and gives a reading of the line. Bonus points for whoever guesses both movies!  B)

C-C-COMBO bonus points for whoever guesses both movies AND embeds a clip that contains both movies!  :D

• hthighwayhthighway Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,412 Plex Ninja

It appeared first in Lawrence of Arabia, where he is holding the candle to his hand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNElueJj_w

I don't have a guess for the second time

edited March 2014
    hthighway wrote on March 10 2014, 5:01 PM: »

It appeared first in Lawrence of Arabia, where he is holding the candle to his hand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNElueJj_w

I don't have a guess for the second time

Well done!  :) Classic movie... the second reference is within Prometheus (2012):

Hmmm, maybe that would be an idea for another thread... movie references within other movies.

Next up:

I get it. It's nice up here. You can just shut down all the systems, turn out all the lights, and just close your eyes and tune out everyone. There's nobody up here that can hurt you. It's safe. I mean, what's the point of going on? What's the point of living? Your kid died. Doesn't get any rougher than that. But still, it's a matter of what you do now. If you decide to go, then you gotta just get on with it. Sit back, enjoy the ride. You gotta plant both your feet on the ground and start livin' life.
    edited April 2014

Last quote was from Gravity (2013).

Trivia: When Matt and Ryan are making their way to the International Space Station, he finds out Ryan is from Lake Zurich, Illinois, and states that it's 8:00 P.M. there. They are floating over Egypt where it is 3:00 A.M. locally.

Next:

You see, the brain itself feels no pain if that concerns you, Clarice.

• icewind80icewind80 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited April 2014

This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts.

Too easy.  American Beauty.

When Lester throws the asparagus, he was supposed to throw it on the floor.  The reactions of Annette Bening and Thora Birch are genuine.

You see, the brain itself feels no pain if that concerns you, Clarice.

SOTL i presume?

Trivia:  Anthony Hopkins is only in the film for 16 minutes.  The second shortest time ever to win an Academy Award for best Actor.

Next:

"You'll never get credit for my discovery. They'll never believe a talking head. Get a job in a sideshow."

Hint:  It is referenced in a scene in American Beauty.

edited April 2014
    icewind80 wrote on April 18 2014, 2:34 AM: »

Next:

"You'll never get credit for my discovery. They'll never believe a talking head. Get a job in a sideshow."

Hint:  It is referenced in a scene in American Beauty.

I think this is referenced when Lester first meets RIcky Fitts at a social event. Ricky asks him if he "gets high," and they go out the back to smoke weed. They then laugh about the movie Re-Animator (1985), although the line you quote is never explicitly mentioned. Nice suggestion man! Not too easy, not too hard.  B)

Trivia: The special effects department went through 25 gallons of fake blood during the shoot of Re-Animator.

Bonus trivia: The hand that pours the Whiskey for Lester Burnham in the scene above is that of director Sam Mendes.

Next:

I'm not locked in here with you; you're locked in here with me!
  • BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,390 Plex Employee

Rorschach Watchmen in prison after he throws the hot oil on the guy

Next: 

Doesn't anyone have any missiles left!
  • lmcarthurlmcarthur Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Independance Day

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,457 Plex Pass

Wall Street - Gordon Gekko

"Dear Lord, please don't let me **** up."