Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Multiple Plex docker instances on server with multiple real IPs

murdofmurdof Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi guys,

i have a server with 6 real ips and currently running on ubuntu and of course plex uses all of them.

I want to move it inside a docker instance so it will bind only to a specific IP.

After I do that I want to run a second docker instance that will bind to a different real IP so that I set it up for a friend of mine.

How would I start docker to bind to a specific IP?
My interfaces are eth0,eth0:1...eth0:5

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 15,964Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Before even going to that point, you have to contend with PMS's reserved ports and how clients (if on a LAN) are going to find them. Port 32400 is hard coded and not movable as are several others. You must remember, Docker is a container, not a VM. As such, there are ports which PMS uses for its own use and these are reflected in the host's port list. It is strongly recommended you look at all the ports documented in the firewall ports list and determine the mapping you need. If you need full functionality on each server (local clients, discovery, etc), I can save you the time now and tell you it won't work.

With respect to your question about Docker and specific IPs, I refer you to the Docker documentation. You'll need to know the PMS Docker container will be Ubuntu based with PMS running 'on Ubuntu'

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• murdofmurdof Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gbooker02 said:
    Looks like what you want is in here: https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/networking/default_network/binding/ It appears that -p IP:host_port:container_port will accomplish what you want.

That aside, you definitely want to match up the host_port and container_port values as several don't operate correctly when moved. If you bind two different containers to different IPs, it should allow you to use the same port numbers, but I've not tested this.

Yes it worked!

Now running two docker instances on same server on different IPs....

• matt2079matt2079 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes it worked!

Now running two docker instances on same server on different IPs....

I would love to see how you did this. I've been trying for days to get 2 pms-docker containers running on the same VM but haven't been able to "claim" the second server. My first pms-docker container is running fine.

I've created an SSH tunnel and logged into the web interface at http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html, but I only see my original server and my Plex Cloud server. I'm not able to claim a new server.

Both of my containers have all of the usual Plex ports bound to 2 different IPs on the host using the -p option, although the second server probably doesn't need all of them. I don't even need it to have external access, but I will want to connect 1 or 2 clients to it occasionally.

• 11notes11notes Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@matt2079
    Use macvlan, create docker network with your subnet, start plex two times with static IP

docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=192.168.1.0/24 --gateway=192.168.1.254 -o parent=eth0 LAN192-168-1

then test it with:
    docker run -ti --rm --network LAN192-168-1 --ip 192.168.1.1 alpine:latest /bin/sh

you should be able to see (ping) the container on 192.168.1.1 from your subnet. Just change 192.168.1.0/24 to your subnet you are using. eth0 is the network interface you want to use, if you have VLANs on that interface, you need to activate promiscuous mode on your NIC.

• matt2079matt2079 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@11notes
    Thanks! I'll try that out. It'll take me a while to get to it but when I get a chance I'll post my results back here.

I've currently got it working by setting up a second Plex account, which allowed me to claim the server, but that's more of a pain than it's worth.