If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Clear, Simple, Current Drobo Server Update Instructions

CHF_2012CHF_2012 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Updating my Drobo Server each time an update is needed is proving incredibly hard. I see LOTS of threads with LOTS of semi-contradictory advice, dating back years. Most/all of it doesn't work for me AND in the latest posts it seems that maybe there is a current issue with updating the servers even for people more technically skilled than me. Oh, and many/most of the explanations assume a technical expertise above my knowledge level.

It seems like the update process should be seamless but failing that it should be easy enough for people with decent computer skills to execute based on clear, easily available directions and that process should be reliable in that it should work every time if done properly. As it is, I mostly build a new server each time from scratch. This seems, err, inefficient.

I am at wit's end on how to make sense of updating Plex. I have really tried to figure this out short of posting here and I am not an internet/tech incompetent. I am better than most, tho far worse than some. If I struggle, the majority has no shot, I believe. Anyway, help, please?

• chris696@gmail.comchris696@gmail.com Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have to take a few steps but haven't had many issues:
    I download the file to my machine, I then move the file to \drobo5n\DroboApps (I find Windows 10 does the annoying thing of going into \drobo5n\DroboApps\Plex if saving direct (WHY MS WHY!))
    I then delete .servicerc (Can rename, I find with this kept on it doesn't update. It may have been fixed but I am now set in my ways)
    I then instruct the Drobo5n to restart via the Drobo software
    Wait for it to restart
    In the Drobo app instruct Plex to run
    After a minutes its running

• Csirkin@gmail.comCsirkin@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wrote up a blog post about how to upgrade Plex through the command line on the Drobo5n. The nice thing about this process is that you don't need to restart the Drobo. It's worked a few updates in a row for me. Today I just upgraded to via this process. Basically it's 1. downloading the code, 2. pushing it to the Drobo, 3. log in via SSH and unzip the file in a home directory. Then 4. copy the unzipped directory to the current application directory overwriting everything with the update. 5. Stop the server, 6. start the server and it's updated. I've posted the process at https://csirkin.github.io/2017-06/upgrading-plex-on-drobo-5n/.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,497Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is how I do it using a windows machine and winrar
    1/Turn off PMS on the drobo (not sure this is necessary but i do anyway)
    2/ Goto your drobo drive/folder ( i have mine mapped)
    3/ Open Droboapps
    4/ Drop the latest plex.tgz into that folder (you will see folders like plex, DroboAccess, myDrobo etc )
    5/ Double click plex.tgz - winrar opens and you can see the files
    6/ Click extract to
    Extraction path and options opens showing the destination path as \DROBO\DroboApps\plex (or close to that but it will get it right)
    7/ Click OK - Then the next box click YES to ALL (this overwrites the "old" files)
    If this box does NOT pop up you are extracting to the wrong place - go back

You then will see the files being extracted and some minutes later when finished close winrar and restart PMS.
    Your Drobo does not need to reboot!

You can leave the plex.tgz there and just overwrite it when the next update comes along.

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !