If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

QNAP TVS-1282T3 Help with Initial Setup

Zodiak!Zodiak! Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited May 31 in QNAP

Hello Everyone!

I've been using Plex for years and I love it.

I've recently gone from using a Synology DS1813+ 8x3TB to a now far more powerful QNAP TVS-1282T3-i7-32G with a Core-I7
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/model.php?II=268&event=2

I know this may not be the ideal place to ask this but I've found the QNAP forum to be full of people trying to lead others in bad directions...

I'm currently at work but my 1282T3 was just delivered to my house. The device will be used as:

1) A Download station
2) A Plex Server for family and friends
3) Local Media Playback

I plan on getting:

8x Seagate IronWolf Pro 10TB drives
4x Unsure which SSDs offer the best Size/Speed/Price Ratio
2x Unsure which M.2s offer the best Size/Speed/Price Ratio

I didn't know much when I got my Synology and now I'm trying to learn more.

1) What are LUNs and iSCSI? Is this something that I want for a Media Server?
2) What is best, 1 or multiple volumes?
3) What are THICK and THIN volumes?
4) What are Storage Pools/QTier? Is this something I want for a Media Server?

1) Does anyone have any recommendations on SSDs and M.2 drives?
2) The device comes with 32gb of Ram but can be upgraded to 64gb, would I get any benefits from PLEX?

Since I'm still learning I'm looking advice for the best possible setup for QNAP and Plex

Thank you very much everyone.

Best Answer

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,722Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Bryce
    I'm going through the setup of that same box now .

Unless someone else knows better, do NOT let it create a static volume. Based on what I'm told (I'm used to Synology doing it for me), you want thick provisioning up front.

I'm sure others will augment with the rest of what's needed. Just don't do what I did. Copy it all onto the QNAP then realize you have to copy it all OFF again.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• TonyramwellTonyramwell Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How did you get on with this in the end? I'm contemplating the same setup and would be interested to understand your experiences so far.

Thanks,
    Tony

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,722Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

In the end, I moved everything back off to the Synology (yes... YUCK) and started fresh with my installation.

This had been the ONE time I let the machine do everything for me. Obviously it was a bit too helpful.
    Static volumes/pools can't be expanded as you change drives. They aren't proper logical volumes.

This is how my configuration now stands.

Notice it shows "Storage Pool 1" and not "Storage Pool 256" (apparently the indicator for a static ?)

The Raid Group encompasses the 8 drives as well, although I'm not sure which was created first as QTS was laying it. Both appeared together when I next had the ability to see it.

As a completely unrelated piece of trivia, having had the need and time to optimize my networking, I can now pull from the Synology very well using all four gigabit ethernet ports in LACP/LAG.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

• Zodiak!Zodiak! Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I finally managed to order everything:

TVS-1282T3-i7
    Crucial 16GBx4 (64GB) Single DDR4 2133 288-Pin
    8x10TB 3.5 Drives
    4x1TB SSDs
    2x512mb M.2 drives

I too had read that it's most likely best to set it all up as 1 large volume with qTier and set the M.2 drives as cache.

Still not sure about Raid 5 or Raid 6. I thought you were talking me into Raid 6 Chuck but I see you ended up going with Raid 5 yourself.

Did you get any unexpected surprises during setup?

Why did you move everything back from the Synology > to the Qnap > Back to the Synology? Are you not using your Qnap for Plex now?

I'm getting my 4 SSDs and 2 M.2s next week and plan on starting as soon as I get them.

Please let me know!

I had to perform the Syno -> QNAP -> Syno -> QNAP sequence because the volume I had created in QTS was a static volume. it was not properly constructed initially. I discovered this after building the volume on 4TB drives, swapping them for 6TB (1 at a time), and lastly attempting to expand the volume to use the additional 14TB of space. It was quite clear that static volumes cannot be expanded.

This was my unexpected surprise.

Notice below, my volume now exists as "Data Pool 1", not "Data Pool 256". I do not yet understand the significance of this but have been told it is now correctly build.

As for Raid 5/6, My decision for Raid 5 over 6 was because I already have the Synology sitting on the same LAN. I do not need dual parity on the QNAP.

I have the entire volume duplicated (backup) on the Synology.

1. turn on the Syno
    2. Run backups
    3. turn off the Syno

I am loving PMS on the QNAP. The i7-6700 cpu is finally enough to do the job. Running the prelim hw transcoding build is even better. 4K -> 2K transcoding while I'm working (I use Virtual Station and Container Station all day for work) without any impact to me.

My desktop system is now almost entirely "Keyboard, mouse, and display"

:D

Useful links

Follow-up word of advice:

SSDs have a limited 'bytes written' count. Leave them off while you're putting everything in place. You're not reading/writing anything which can benefit from them anyway. There is no need to burn up the counters prematurely.

Useful links

Hi Chuck,

I don't understand. Don't you have to have all drive types (3.5, SSD and M.2) during setup for Qtier to work? That's how it's been descibed to me at least.

So your setting, populate all 8 3.5 drive bays > do the setup > add SSDs and M.2s > Expand?

I get confused easily :(

No, I do not. There is no need.

In my configuration:

1. All eight drive bays are populated. This allows me to create "Storage Pool 1" (most important as it is the main storage volume)
    2. Adding one 2.5" SSD allows me to create a "SSD cache volume". 512 GB of SSD r/w cache is quite nice.
    3. M.2 SSD slots not in use at this time. (I'm not running anything critical such as iSCSI targets or a web server with transaction processing)

If/when used, because of their nature, the SSDs should be HD backed up. (SSD is the HD's cache or SSD copied back to HD)

Useful links

edited June 26

Hi Chuck,

I already have the SSDs and the M.2s, thats why I intend to use them. Since the server will be used for automated downloads, Plex, Video conversion and transcode.

If i use 1 volume, i was thinking, if possible, use the SSDs for the Plex Server, use the M.2s as cache and the 3.5s for storage?

Will it work that way?

edited July 11

Ok so after a bit of a nightmare, I have the start of something workable

Storage Pool 1: 4x SSDs, Thick, RAID 5, Plex Volume
    Storage Pool 2: 8x 3.5 drives , Thick, RAID 5, Media Volume
    Storage Pool 3: 2x M.2 drives, RAID 0, Read/Write Cache for Storage Pool 1/2

Now I am struggling on what the best way to get the data from my Synology to the QNAP server.

Also, for some reason, the Plex server on the synology can connect online ( i turned it off now though) but the Plex server on the QNAP server can't connect online.

Do you have a proper, 802.3ad dynamic LACP layer 2 managed switch?

If so, this becomes very easy. (I just learned how in a very painful way). The Synology can deliver 400+ MB/sec when using LACP to the QNAP on all 4 ports with the combination NFS and rsync

A. Verify you have a proper trunking group in the switch, similar to what I show below on the D-Link. These ports are unused until after you configure the QNAP. If you attempt to use them before, you will lose connectivity to it. (nature of ethertrunking). As an alternative, you can keep ONE leg outside the LAG assigned port set to retain connectivity

B. Due to the nature of LACP, each Synology port must have its own address. These ports can safely be on the same LAN. This makes the Syno appear as the 'many' in the "many-to-one' relationship requirement for LACP and allow use of all four gigabit lanes (precisely as if on a 4-lane highway)

C. When everything looks right and shows green in the QNAP configuration (above) with LAN 1+2+3+4 ready, you're ready to start.

1. open four SSH sessions to the QNAP (one for each Syno IP)
    2. make a temporary /tmp/syno-sharename (edit sharename as required for sanity)
    3. mount 192.168.0.23:/volume1/movies /tmp/movies , mount 192.168.0.24:/volume1/tv /tmp/tv, etc
    4. perform one rsync in each ssh session window

As example:

cd /tmp/movies
    rsync -av  * /share/movies

You can monitor incoming traffic speed on the QNAP popout panel (right upper corner). If not ~100 MB/s/active rsync, double check your LACP config.
    It may take multiple attempts to get the config right. It did for me.

When it is running full speed, you will see the speed I show above. To copy over 18TB requires ~18 hours

You probably want to turn off disk caching during this task and not waste 18TB of writes on your SSDs

Useful links

Hi Chuck, long time no see buddy :)

Yes I've read about this a little but it sounded scary, don't know why. I don't have a switch but my router supports 802.3ad and supports Link Aggregation.

So doing this would give me 400Mb+ transfer speed

Also, wouldnt I get similar speed with USB 3 which should be 480Mbps right?

I also thought there might be a way of connecting the Synology Server to the QNAP Server. Would the QNAP like VJBOD ideally

If you have one of those type routers with aggregation on "Ports 1 & 2", it won't cut it.

480 Mbps is 1/2 the speed of 1000 Mbps (a single gigabit segment). Which would you rather?

If you're up to it and , imho, want it done right. get a proper managed switch. While the HPE 1820-8g does the job, it has 8 ports. The 16 or 24 port version is what you'll need.

Consider:

1 - PC
    2 - PC 2
    3 - printer

4-8 available for whatever else you'll eventually need.

9,10,11,12 = Syno
    13,14,15,16 = QNAP

Useful links

I'm just really hard up on money right now after buying everything :(