Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Library and naming issues

I have a number of multi lecture courses produced by "The great Courses". Can I make a separate library for them? If so how do I organise folders and are there special naming conventions?

Best Answer

Answers

• joe burgessjoe burgess Members Posts: 2

Thanks. If I read you correctly I could use the TV library format with a library name of say "great courses" and then set up the file structure using the TV season/episode conventions. This should then let me have a library called great courses in which I could see individual courses as I would TV shows. I could then open a particular course and see the individual lectures. Meta data is not that important

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,125 Plex Ninja
    edited July 17

Yes, that would certainly work. No metadata, but you could add posters quite easily. See the 'File Naming in Plex' link in my signature and then click on Local Media Assets for TV Shows to see how to add the posters and such for your series 'Great Courses'.

You could of course add your own metadata, but that would require that you edit each episode and add the description etc.

You will need to put the various episodes into Season folders, or you could put all videos in a single Season folder if you wish. As long as the folder is named Season xx, where xx is a number.

Your files should be named like this: TV Show Title - S01E01 - Episode Title (Optional).ext

TV Show title being the name of the series, 'Great Courses' for example, S01 is the season number and E01 is the episode number. The Optional Episode Title could be something like 'A Great Workout' or anything suitable for that video. .ext is of course the file type, .mp4, .mkv etc...

EG: Great Courses - S01E01 - A Great Workout.mp4

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks