If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Multiple playback issues in the new update

kaliniuskalinius Posts: 28Members ✭✭

In the previous Plex version on Xbox One, movie playback would pause (for buffering purposes) maybe once out of every 6 movies or so. Maybe this was caused by temporary network issues. In the current version, it happens at least once or twice with every movie. On top of this, occasionally the movie will stop playing entirely and give the message "An unknown error occurred" or "There was an error decoding". When I resume playing, it starts playing again with no issues (until the next time it stops).

Last night, my wife and I tried to watch a movie and it would error out every 1:20 minutes or so. The only way I could get it to play through was to reduce the local quality from "Original" to "720p 2 Mbps" which was not very enjoyable. Video and audio quality took a nosedive from the original 1080p quality but it was the only way to actually watch the film.

I never had this problem with the old version, and the Plex app on my $20 Roku box works fine.

Best Answer

• MoussaMoussa Posts: 1,620Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

@kalinius The cause of the error on playback start issue has been identified and will be fixed in the next update. Errors in the middle of playback are harder to pin down and logs aren't proving super useful there. We believe they are issues with the platform player though, caused by either network issues or issues with the player decoder and the containers (this is the case if the error occurs at the same place every time and can be verified by remuxing the file container and seeing if the issue occurs again)

Answers

• MikeWa1kerMikeWa1ker Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here

• coldfirenjcoldfirenj Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

same.. can't play 80% of my collection

• msav1msav1 Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having same issues. Been using Amazon fire and Fire stick. They are working fine. Xbox One has been garbage lately.

• kaliniuskalinius Posts: 28Members ✭✭

It's been 3 weeks since the latest update and still no fix. This is getting very annoying. I use the Plex server as my main method of watching my movie collection and it's been virtually unusable.

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 500Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kalinius said:
    It's been 3 weeks since the latest update and still no fix. This is getting very annoying. I use the Plex server as my main method of watching my movie collection and it's been virtually unusable.

Are you referring to the app? The Plex app was updated earlier this week, and the server was updated for public release yesterday.

@mbarylski said:

@kalinius said:

Are you referring to the app? The Plex app was updated earlier this week, and the server was updated for public release yesterday.

Thanks for the tip. I had deleted and re-downloaded the Plex app on Xbox One yesterday but still had problem. I didn't know about the server update. I'll install it now and check back later.

edited November 2017

Well, I'm still having problems after all the latest updates (server and Xbox One). When I attempt to watch a movie, one of two errors will appear after a few minutes:

There was a problem playing this item.
    The video did not start in time.

or

There was a problem playing this item.
    An unexpected error occurred while decoding the media.

This has become my regular movie-watching experience with Plex and I hate it.

• ddobynsddobyns Posts: 1Members

I'm also seeing errors. I can't even make it through a 22 minute TV show without hitting an "unknown error" or a "decode error".

edited November 2017

In addition to seeing the "The item did not start playing in time" message, the connection to the server is then lost entirely. It will only come back if I quit the Plex app and re-open it. It's incredibly annoying and has been happening for nearly a month.

• SoundtweakerSoundtweaker Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Was getting the same errors last night too. Gonna test the beta channel and see if it's fixed.

• IzzmoIzzmo Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep.. same here. This seems to be pretty widespread. At this point they need to get their **** together as this is unacceptable for us Plex Pass users who pay.. or revert to the old app and release this as a "beta" till they fix it.

• stevesbwdstevesbwd Posts: 1Members

Same issue here. It happens 100% of the time on 1080p videos. Even if I change to 720p it will still happen, although rarely.

• p0nt0np0nt0n Posts: 2Members

I'm also getting this! If I change it from 1080p to 720p I might almost make it an hour - hour fifteen minutes into a movie before it starts buffering and I'll have to restart the app. If I change it from 1080p and just change the bitrate it'll go from anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes before it's doing the buffering again. It also happens when I watch tv-series. The punisher for example was a pain in the ***.. 1-2 restarts required every episode when it was in 1080p.

I've tried every option in the settings menu, allowing insecure, disabling direct play and stream, changing the subtitles etc. It always results in the same error though. And like kalinius says, after the "the item did not start playing in time" message, the connection to the server is then lost entirely. Very weird.

• coldfirenjcoldfirenj Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

smh cant play anything

• morpheus2n2morpheus2n2 Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep finding this with far far to much of my collection as well, I have to resort to using my smart TV at times its getting old already :(

• gyaminegyamine Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting this way too often as well. Almost makes Plex unusable. Almost every movie is getting this same error at various times. Anyone from Plex commenting or looking into this? @Moussa

• kismeraskismeras Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This issue is really annoying and frustrating. I don't know if MS caused this or Plex. Who's idea was it to change the interface and make it more convoluted? I can't watch any of my media either, everything freezes after only a few minutes. I tried using it on my xbox 360 that has not been updated and it worked flawlessly. This needs to be fixed please.

• keith6226keith6226 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. Started immediately after the XB one app update, and not the server update. Was watching a series without issue, app updated, and following that, the same series and episodes were unwatchable for more than a minute or so at any rate or transcode setting. This was in the same evening.

That particular series is the only one that I have had issues that bad with. Other series will play, but invariably the show will pause and show the buffering animation at some point mid-way through the file. It will eventually boot me back to the episode menu. If I hit play again, it will bring up the start over or resume dialog, and the select button then will not work on the resume button. If by exiting the episode and going back I can finally get resume to toggle (rarely), then I get a problem playing file error. If I force close the app and restart it, it will usually resume playing ok, and most of the time will make it through the episode. It is guaranteed to happen again on the next episode.

I have to agree with others in this thread, that it makes the app extremely frustrating to use, if not entirely unusable. I checked the forums the night of the release, to see if others were experiencing similar issues. There were threads describing the same issue even then, and so it is a bit frustrating that this seemlingly widespread problem does not yet appear on the "known issues" post.

• notsileousnotsileous Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The UI is god awful but I can deal with it if the rest of process worked. However when a 21 minute Christmas special my kids are watching flakes out repeatedly while watching it, there is something seriously wrong.

• chacker8chacker8 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the same issue as well. Playback will stop once or twice during a movie. Restarting the movie works immediately. I haven't seen this problem with the Gen 1 Fire TV's we have or the web client.