Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox One App

mcrommertmcrommert Posts: 273Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Here is confirmation that there will be an sdk for Xbox One.  I look forward to the Windows 8 app on Xbox.  :)

Best Answer

• elanelan Sheriff of Plexville MauiPosts: 8,853Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Answer ✓
    I just wanted to clarify, so that there's no misunderstanding about this thread, that Tyson is a member of our community, but not an employee or a representative of Plex.

Answers

• awesmdiverawesmdiver Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This would be a serious win ... I'd purchase.

• lenaxialenaxia Posts: 425Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    The plex team is currently focusing its efforts on the windows 8 and windows phone 8 apps. An Xbox One app is currently not in the picture.
  • markus.rapkemarkus.rapke Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sad but how do you know? If we cant get a native xbox one app i hope there will be at least dlna push for the win 8 apps

• The Walsh'sThe Walsh's Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2014

Focusing on Windows 8 is pretty much focusing on the XBox One apparently.  If Plex can't be bothered to do the port work involved with it, then I take my usage to whichever application does bother.

edited March 2014
    You're more than welcome to, Rock.

I posted this in response to another person asking for an Xbox One app, and I'll repeat it here:

I can assure you that the plex team is well aware of the community's desire for this product.

However being the size that they are, the plex team only has limited resources available for any given product. It would irresponsible of them to commit to a product that they don't have resources for.

There has also been significant discussion regarding XB1 and the fact that the amount of effort it would take would be far larger than most other products they have even now because of the rigorousness demanded of both sony (PS4) and MS in terms of restrictions and quality. In addition, just submitting an app for approval has a cost in the order of several thousand dollars because of the in house testing they do.

Frankenbeutel wrote on March 4 2014, 9:29 PM: »

Sad but how do you know? If we cant get a native xbox one app i hope there will be at least dlna push for the win 8 apps

Plex Ninjas are community members that work closely with the Plex development team and support them both on the forums and through early testing. We help the Plex team identify what is most important to the community and bring them to attention. We also address issues like this so that the plex team can focus on bringing you new features instead of trying to put out fires like Rock is trying to start.
    Have they knocked around the idea of a kickstarter to fund it? I can certainly understand not wanting to pay MS thousands to get the app on the marketplace, especially since there is no charging for them currently. But the likelihood of a 3rd party app marketplace seems incredibly likely at this point and the certification seems like it would be similar to Win8. And it would probably use 80% of the code used for the WinRT version.
  • MagykMagyk Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    edited March 2014

Think of it like this...Microsoft does not have a DLNA protocol on the Xbox One.  If you put the effort into making the app, you will be the first DLNA streaming service on the platform.  Being the first would lead to a larger customer base as well as some very good press coverage from the Tech/Gaming/Video news blogs.  Good press coverage leads to more customers, which ultimately leads to more funding for Plex.

If you do decide to make the app, I would suggest you keep Kinect in mind and make voice searching as seemless as possible.  Take Skype for example... you can Skype someone just by saying 'Xbox Skype <Person's Name>', without any pauses.

Ideally, you would be able to launch Plex and watch a video/movie, just by issuing a command like 'Xbox Plex <Movie Name>' without pausing.

• tysontyson Posts: 146Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Magyk, that is not exactly true. Xbox One does have DLNA Capabilities, however simply functions as an endpoint that you can stream to, not browse content from. It is a subtle distinction, but it is a distinction nonetheless. As it exists today, you can use your cell phone or other device to push something to the Xbox but not use the Xbox itself to browse your Plex Media Server and play something for itself.

That is unless we are talking about using Internet Explorer and the Web Interface to Plex Media Server, but I'm going to say for the moment that that doesn't really count in the context of this discussion.

• markus.rapkemarkus.rapke Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@lenaxia: thx for the ninja knowledge

You Ninjas can give any news about dlna push to dlna players? It is a question many threads deal with and a feature taking less effort to create. I guess so cause there are many other apps who can push

edited March 2014
    Here is an example of building a compliant DLNA Push to an endpoint to initiate playback of supported media.

http://www.accella.net/sending-a-video-content-to-a-dlnaupnp-softwaredevice-using-curl/

Combine this with a UPnP profile for the Xbox One to support the transcoding, and you're golden.

Hard code the IP Address to your Xbox to your Plex Media Server and you have a quick prototype that you can use with the standard apps to send data to the Xbox via your phone without leaving it running.

One plugin later and you have auto-detection via SSDP.

Personally, I am holding out hope that I am accepted to ID@XBOX to just port a client so that it can make use of Voice controls rather than being so "hacky".
    edited March 2014
    As far as I'm aware, DLNA for XBONE is not on the way. There is DLNA support for the 360 but I don't know what changed with the one.

Here is a link to a thread where some people were able to get xbone dlna working with a few tweaks, you should look into it. https://forums.plex.tv/topic/87245-xbox-one-dlna-problems/
    edited March 2014

Larry Hyrb (AKA Major Nelson) stated that Microsoft was working to provide full DLNA capability, however no timeframe was given.

The Xbox One presently has DLNA capabilities, however are limited. It is how the Xbox One and Windows 8.1 performs it's Play To functionality. The issues that currently exist are codec related and a few other quirks of a non-fully compliant DLNA implementation.

• mcrommertmcrommert Posts: 273Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    lenaxia wrote on March 5 2014, 7:25 PM: »

You're more than welcome to, Rock.

I posted this in response to another person asking for an Xbox One app, and I'll repeat it here:

I can assure you that the plex team is well aware of the community's desire for this product.

However being the size that they are, the plex team only has limited resources available for any given product. It would irresponsible of them to commit to a product that they don't have resources for.

There has also been significant discussion regarding XB1 and the fact that the amount of effort it would take would be far larger than most other products they have even now because of the rigorousness demanded of both sony (PS4) and MS in terms of restrictions and quality. In addition, just submitting an app for approval has a cost in the order of several thousand dollars because of the in house testing they do.

Plex Ninjas are community members that work closely with the Plex development team and support them both on the forums and through early testing. We help the Plex team identify what is most important to the community and bring them to attention. We also address issues like this so that the plex team can focus on bringing you new features instead of trying to put out fires like Rock is trying to start.

So this i totally understand.  The current app environment is too expensive to get into and too rigorous for a small dev company like Plex

What I was drawing attention to was the fact that they have said that eventually they will open the marketplace up wider.  Probably not as wide as windows 8 but much better than right now.  Then it would be a matter of a small amount of porting to move the windows 8.1 app over to xbox one.  Despite what the team has said if these changes were made i couldn't see Plex not going on the xbox one.  None of this is out in the open though so for now it is not going to happen.  

And also i double that Plex's dev time would include very complicated voice controls unless that work is basically handled by microsoft...that would be an insane amount of work

From what I am hearing from friends at EA, the Kinect Voice APIs are actually pretty cool, as it will do all of the speech to text and command parsing for you, simply handing you an XML String for parsing. That is not based on first-hand experience though.

The ID@Xbox Program has a significantly lower barrier of entry than has been the case previously.

There is no cost for Application, Application Certification or Title Updates, and Microsoft simply adopts the 70/30 split that has become standard on most App Stores in use today.

Under the program, Microsoft decides in advance of you starting your work whether they will allow you to develop for the console.

Prior to ID@Xbox program, your understanding was absolutely correct though.

edited March 2014
    mcrommert wrote on March 11 2014, 2:06 PM: »

So this i totally understand.  The current app environment is too expensive to get into and too rigorous for a small dev company like Plex

What I was drawing attention to was the fact that they have said that eventually they will open the marketplace up wider.  Probably not as wide as windows 8 but much better than right now.  Then it would be a matter of a small amount of porting to move the windows 8.1 app over to xbox one.  Despite what the team has said if these changes were made i couldn't see Plex not going on the xbox one.  None of this is out in the open though so for now it is not going to happen.  

Yeah, I don't see cost being an issue if they open up the marketplace like any other open app marketplace.  Especially if, as rumored, it will be very similar to WinRT.  An updated UI is all that is needed initially.  Voice can be added later.  They would probably rake in some dough as a people are hungry for an app to consume their media.

Tyson Edwards wrote on March 11 2014, 7:31 PM: »

From what I am hearing from friends at EA, the Kinect Voice APIs are actually pretty cool, as it will do all of the speech to text and command parsing for you, simply handing you an XML String for parsing. That is not based on first-hand experience though.

The ID@Xbox Program has a significantly lower barrier of entry than has been the case previously.

There is no cost for Application, Application Certification or Title Updates, and Microsoft simply adopts the 70/30 split that has become standard on most App Stores in use today.

Under the program, Microsoft decides in advance of you starting your work whether they will allow you to develop for the console.

Prior to ID@Xbox program, your understanding was absolutely correct though.

You can check out the Kinect for Windows SDK for yourself.  The voice stuff is pretty simple.  They may have an even better one with the updated device though.

Also, sorry if I sounded like an entitled turd with my earlier comment.  My Roku is apparently on its last legs and I NEED Plex on my XBox One, lol.

Update from Moscone.

Today at Build, Microsoft announced that ModernUI Apps can now be made Universal rather trivially to run on Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1, and Xbox One. Still pretty preliminary and in the Keynote they have said that it will not be coming in the next few weeks, but is on its way. What they did say is that Kinect for Windows and Kinect for Xbox code can be shared, meaning that one can make a pretty special HTPC implementation that will apply to both Windows and Xbox.
  • TheHoylesTheHoyles Posts: 303Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    lenaxia wrote on March 3 2014, 7:07 PM: »

The plex team is currently focusing its efforts on the windows 8 and windows phone 8 apps. An Xbox One app is currently not in the picture.

So today's news that they will be allowing W8 apps to run on the X1 change your tone? Or do you still have the inside track that says Plex will not support the X1?

It would make no sense not to work on it now since it's the same infrastructure.

Seriously...you are one of the few apps that would make sense to make the change...and it seems like not a huge deal to move over...but we know nothing about timelines right now or even if it will be this year

• branwrightbranwright Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Saw this news today and the first thing I thought of was Plex. I hope it's as straightforward as Microsoft is promising.