Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Mkv Stuttering

b0redomb0redom Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hi All,
Bit of an add one, so I hope someone can help. I have Plex connected to my TV through an A/V amp which also handles 5.1 sound via optical for me. When I try and watch a movie through Plex since putting the amp in place, I get the occasional stutter. It almost seems like it's not caching enough. In under a second it starts playing again from where it left off.

I have 1000MBit network from a Linux fileserver to my MacMini.
I have also played back the MKV with no problems from my iMac which is connected to the same switch.
I have a T7600 chip in the MacMini, so I know it's more than capable of playing this stuff back.
Looking at the logs when the problem occurs I see lots and lots of:

"18:31:53 T:3028705280 M: 13107200 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - retrieved last data packet of queue"

Any idea of what I should do to troubleshoot further? Again, this ONLY seems to happen now I'm connected via optical + 5.1. I don't recall it happening when the MacMini was connected direct to the TV via stereo.

Cheers....

Comments

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,135Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    b0redom wrote on 21 October 2009 - 08:46 PM:

Hi All,
    Bit of an add one, so I hope someone can help. I have Plex connected to my TV through an A/V amp which also handles 5.1 sound via optical for me. When I try and watch a movie through Plex since putting the amp in place, I get the occasional stutter. It almost seems like it's not caching enough. In under a second it starts playing again from where it left off.

I have 1000MBit network from a Linux fileserver to my MacMini.
    I have also played back the MKV with no problems from my iMac which is connected to the same switch.
    I have a T7600 chip in the MacMini, so I know it's more than capable of playing this stuff back.
    Looking at the logs when the problem occurs I see lots and lots of:

"18:31:53 T:3028705280 M: 13107200 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - retrieved last data packet of queue"

Any idea of what I should do to troubleshoot further? Again, this ONLY seems to happen now I'm connected via optical + 5.1. I don't recall it happening when the MacMini was connected direct to the TV via stereo.

Cheers....

I now there are some 5.1-improvements in 0.8.3 which will be released shortly (have no date, but very soon). If I were you I would wait until it is released before looking into it further.
  • b0redomb0redom Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    atrus wrote on 21 October 2009 - 07:49 PM:

I now there are some 5.1-improvements in 0.8.3 which will be released shortly (have no date, but very soon). If I were you I would wait until it is released before looking into it further.

Cool thanks for that. Awaiting 0.8.3 with baited breath! :)
    Hi All,
    Sadly the microstuttering has not been fixed by 0.8.3. Both 1080p rips and 720p rips exhibit the problem. Movies can play fine for minutes at a time then there'll be a microstutter, then everything will be fine again.

There is nothing in the logs.
    I've upgraded my MacMini with a 2.4gGz chip
    It's connected to a fast Linux powered RAID-5 array via gigabit ethernet over NFS.
    I've set a 20 second cache in Plex

Any suggestions on how I should go about troubleshooting?

Cheers...

b0redom
  • jayman978jayman978 Posts: 4,467Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Try adjusting the H.264 Speed Boost settings in Preferences -> Videos -> Player.
    edited November 2009
    jayman978 wrote on 06 November 2009 - 10:41 PM:

Try adjusting the H.264 Speed Boost settings in Preferences -> Videos -> Player.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've tried that at the max setting, but still no joy. Any other ideas?

Is there some logging I can enable in Plex to show whether it's network / CPU / IO bound etc? I have a new 13" unibody Macbook Pro I can connect up. That should be more than powerful enough to play BluRay rips right?

Cheers....
  • poofyhairguypoofyhairguy Posts: 912Members
    b0redom wrote on 06 November 2009 - 10:44 PM:

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've tried that at the max setting, but still no joy. Any other ideas?

Is there some logging I can enable in Plex to show whether it's network / CPU / IO bound etc? I have a new 13" unibody Macbook Pro I can connect up. That should be more than powerful enough to play BluRay rips right?

Cheers....

Local copy plays fine? You totally ruled out the mini?
    poofyhairguy wrote on 07 November 2009 - 12:02 AM:

Local copy plays fine? You totally ruled out the mini?

Not totally ruled out. I'll give that a go too.

Very occasionally I get these in the logs:

00:00:03 T:3289378816 M:1567219712 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 50876, consumed: 0
    00:00:03 T:3289378816 M:1567219712 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 55203, consumed: 0
    00:00:03 T:3289378816 M:1567219712 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 39487, consumed: 0
    00:00:03 T:3289378816 M:1567260672 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 51114, consumed: 0
    00:00:04 T:3289378816 M:1567375360 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 79609, consumed: 0
    00:00:04 T:3289378816 M:1567612928 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 55973, consumed: 0

but they're not always as the same time as the jitters. Any idea what these relate to?
    Local copy seems just as bad. :(

Maybe the Macbook Pro will be better.....
    Attempting to play back an mt2s file from my MacBook Pro (unfortunately a new one with Snow Leopard) and it bombs out almost immediately. Playback through VLC on the Macmini seems to skip frames too though, so I suspect an upgrade will be required, unless anyone can give me any idea how to turn on verbose debugging so I can see why it's skipping?
  • atrusatrus Posts: 11,135Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Set h264 speed boost to off when making these tests. Just dont use that feature =)
    atrus wrote on 08 November 2009 - 10:44 PM:

Set h264 speed boost to off when making these tests. Just dont use that feature =)

Tried that too, but no joy. Guess an upgrade is the way forward....
    Ok more updates. I was considering a new MacMini, or even a Hackintosh, but I saw that you can hit 'i' for information about dropped frames. I am not getting any dropped frames at all when the stuttering occurs. I noticed that if I passed the video signal directly to the TV via D-SUB and the sound via the amp as usual the picture stutters, but the sound doesn't. As opposed to both when the amp does both (via DVI->HDMI + Optical).

I tried forcing the refresh to 50Hz (it was set to 60Hz) and that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Can anyone suggest anything else?
  • JwtsengJwtseng Posts: 14Members
    Take the AV receiver out of the loop for the video switching (HDMI). Does the problem go away? I wonder if the receiver's HDMI switching circuitry is causing the blip. Maybe all that's needed is a cheap HDMI switcher.
  • slover1011slover1011 Posts: 272Members
    b0redom wrote on 11 November 2009 - 04:01 PM:

Ok more updates. I was considering a new MacMini, or even a Hackintosh, but I saw that you can hit 'i' for information about dropped frames. I am not getting any dropped frames at all when the stuttering occurs. I noticed that if I passed the video signal directly to the TV via D-SUB and the sound via the amp as usual the picture stutters, but the sound doesn't. As opposed to both when the amp does both (via DVI->HDMI + Optical).

I tried forcing the refresh to 50Hz (it was set to 60Hz) and that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

One other thing that could help is to set your Mac output to 24p (this works for me). I was having lots of AV sync issues and some stuttering when watching my movies (which are 23.976 fps) but my output was 60 Hz 1080p. I went into my mini-display settings and switched this to 24p and my sync and stutter issues go away. I'm running thru a DVDO scaler and have a Sharp LCD (both which handle 24p) this would not be a solution if your TV can't handle 24p input.
    slover1011 wrote on 12 November 2009 - 09:49 PM:

One other thing that could help is to set your Mac output to 24p (this works for me). I was having lots of AV sync issues and some stuttering when watching my movies (which are 23.976 fps) but my output was 60 Hz 1080p. I went into my mini-display settings and switched this to 24p and my sync and stutter issues go away. I'm running thru a DVDO scaler and have a Sharp LCD (both which handle 24p) this would not be a solution if your TV can't handle 24p input.

Yeah, my TV doesn't handle 24p. I'm considering an upgrade to an LED backlit one, but that's another story.....
    WindDoc wrote on 12 November 2009 - 08:22 PM:

Take the AV receiver out of the loop for the video switching (HDMI).

I tried connecting the Macmini via D-sub, but no joy. Interestingly the sound works fine through the amp then, but the picture suffers from the occasional stutter.