Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] HDHomeRun Viewer

zyninezynine Members, Plex Pass Posts: 622 Plex Pass
edited February 25 in Plex Channel Plugins

Announcements

• HDHRV2 0.9.x and above works with Multiple Tuners.
  • For PMS 0.9.17.x to 1.3?: If there are playback issues, you may need to download a short clip and add it to you library. And play it.
  • Web Browser Note: Disable HTML5 Player in PlexWeb if you have issues playback issues.
  • Moving to things to github: https://github.com/zynine-/HDHRViewerV2.bundle
  • Plex 1.4.x, please use version 0.9.13
  • Please use at least HDHomeRun firmware 20161107

Introduction

This plug-in was created for personal usage stream from my HDHomeRun PRIME to Roku 3. This allows up to 3 TV streams to be viewed by 3 different clients simultaneously. Due to Plex limitations with live streams, I  wouldn't recommend buying a HDHomeRun device solely to run with Plex and this Plug In. This plug-in should work with DLNA-enabled HDHomeRun (PRIME, PLUS, DUAL Gen 4).

webinterface

HDHomeRun Compatibility

Compatible with HDHomeRun that have DLNA or HTTP streaming capabilities.

Compatible

• HDHomeRun PRIME (HDHR3-CC)
  • HDHomeRun 4DC (HDHR3-4DC)
  • HDHomeRun DUAL (Gen4)
  • HDHomeRun CONNECT (HDHR4-2US/2DT)
  • HDHomeRun PLUS/EXTEND (HDTC-2US)
  • HDHomeRun EXTEND (HDTC-2US-M)

Not Compatible

• HDHomeRun DUAL (HDHR3-US/EU/DT)
  • HDHomeRun DUAL (HDHR2-US/DT)
  • HDHomeRun DUAL (HDHR-US/EU/DT)

Client Compatibility

Some browser may have playback issues with HTML5 player, disable HTML5 player. Refer to Known Anomalies for more info.

Refer to: https://github.com/zynine-/HDHRViewerV2.bundle/wiki/Compatibility-Report

Common Issues and Resolution

Issue Report

Please report in the following format:

Operating System: CPU, RAM: Plex Server version: Clients: HDHomeRun model and firmware: Issues:
In addition please include if:

Plug-in Crash or Video does not play or any other problems...
- com.plexapp.plugins.hdhrviewer.v2.log
- Plex Media Server.log

Channel Guide Problems (hdhomerun)
- http://hdhomerun_ip/lineup.json

Channel Guide Problems (XMLTV file or restapi)
- http://hdhomerun_ip/lineup.json
- copy of the xmltv.xml

Example Error Report

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • CPU, RAM: Intel i5-3570k Quad Core, 32GB RAM
  • Plex Media Server version: PMS 1.1.4
  • Clients: Firefox, Roku
  • HDHomeRun model and firmware: HDTC-2US firmware 20160621atest1
  • Issues: Video takes a long time to load on Roku, but loads fast on Android. Video does't play on Firefox and return error message "Neither direct play nor conversion is available".

Credits

PMS: i5-3570K + Windows 10 | Clients: Android, ChromeCast, FireTV, iOS, Roku, Web.
HDHR Viewer V2 (HDHomeRun Viewer) HDHomeRun + Plex
HDHR Viewer V2 Deinterlace profiles and Android fix Deinterlace for HDHR Viewer V2
Enable Markdown support in old forum post

Comments

• zyninezynine Members, Plex Pass Posts: 622 Plex Pass
    edited September 2016

Converted from IPB to Markdown ... :)

Test

PMS: i5-3570K + Windows 10 | Clients: Android, ChromeCast, FireTV, iOS, Roku, Web.
    HDHR Viewer V2 Deinterlace profiles and Android fix Deinterlace for HDHR Viewer V2

edited February 25

Download at https://github.com/zynine-/HDHRViewerV2.bundle/releases

Ignore attachments below.

• djwhytedjwhyte Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass

Hmmm, looking at the code, this plugin code looks like it is compatible with the HDHomeRun PRIME only.  Bummer :(

djwhyte wrote on March 13 2014, 6:58 AM: »

Hmmm, looking at the code, this plugin code looks like it is compatible with the HDHomeRun PRIME only.  Bummer :(

What tuner do you have, and do you have access to its webpage?

• thefastzthefastz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Just wanted to say... Great job!! Works perfect and as a huge bonus ( not sure if this was intended ) I can finally use my Chromecast to cast live TV via Plex!

• djwhytedjwhyte Members, Plex Pass Posts: 18 Plex Pass
    zynine wrote on March 13 2014, 4:32 PM: »

What tuner do you have, and do you have access to its webpage?

I have 2 HDHR3-DT and I can access is webpage but I can't do much, just download drivers or installation instructions. Running old firmware though too.
  • GeetsPlexGeetsPlex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 126 Plex Pass
    I have the HDHR-US, on a Mac with no web access. It worked with the old hdhomerun plugin but can not get it to work with this one yet.
  • BreezytmBreezytm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 972 Plex Pass
    I want to use this on my nas box. Qnap to be exact. Will I need to install HDhomerun drivers on the box first?
  • enduserenduser Members, Plex Pass Posts: 70 Plex Pass

@jeradin

I believe this plugin only works with the Prime and newer because the stream is over HTTP. The older models use something else that needs to be transcoded from the HDHomerun mpeg2 for streaming over HTTP for Plex. HDSurfer accomplishes this, but takes a hit on the processing.

More info here: http://connect.vail.k12.az.us/federoffm/2012/10/24/streaming-catv-over-ip-with-http-live-streaming/

I keep count of how many ninja my father kills. He says not to keep count, only to pray for their souls. But if I don't keep count, I don't know how many souls to pray for

edited March 2014
    Would I be able to make this work with a nas box without any tweaking? Here's the link for the Linux drivers. http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dvbhdhomerun/
  • brent112brent112 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 710 Plex Pass
    enduser wrote on March 15 2014, 6:32 PM: »

@jeradin

I believe this plugin only works with the Prime and newer because the stream is over HTTP. The older models use something else that needs to be transcoded from the HDHomerun mpeg2 for streaming over HTTP for Plex. HDSurfer accomplishes this, but takes a hit on the processing.

More info here: http://connect.vail.k12.az.us/federoffm/2012/10/24/streaming-catv-over-ip-with-http-live-streaming/

The regular HD Homerun might use MPEG2, but that should still be able to be streamed directly to a client that can support a high bitrate MPEG2 stream. I have been using the HDSurfer app and there is no transcoding when i watch live TV on my Plex Home Theater client. I wonder if this plugin can be configured to receive the MPEG2 stream directly on supported clients.

• lolentololento Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

Thanks for this!

This is working quite well for me over local network and also on chromecast.

However, over cellular network, at low bitrates like 1M, 720kbits and 320kbit, the stream stutters every one or two seconds very consistently.  On the same bitrates, I don't see stuttering on media files.

This may have to do with buffer available for live stream?? (I'm guessing)

Is this something that I can tweak on the PMS setting myself or do I need to ask a dev to look at it?

Breezytm wrote on March 15 2014, 4:25 PM: »

I want to use this on my nas box. Qnap to be exact. Will I need to install HDhomerun drivers on the box first?

I have never tested it on a NAS, if you are streaming to PHT/PMC locally, it might work, but if you are streaming to other clients, it might not work because transcoding is needed.

djwhyte wrote on March 15 2014, 8:10 AM: »

I have 2 HDHR3-DT and I can access is webpage but I can't do much, just download drivers or installation instructions. Running old firmware though too.

Unfortunately, this plugin was designed for the PRIME, it has the http API. You'll have to run the HDSurfer because Plex itself can't support udp/rtp streams. VLC is needed to convert this streams.

Jeradin wrote on March 15 2014, 3:45 PM: »

I have the HDHR-US, on a Mac with no web access. It worked with the old hdhomerun plugin but can not get it to work with this one yet.

Since Plex upgraded, the old plug-in stopped working. I believe this was due to the transcoder and Plex limited support on live streaming.

enduser wrote on March 15 2014, 6:32 PM: »

@jeradin

Breezytm wrote on March 15 2014, 7:05 PM: »

Would I be able to make this work with a nas box without any tweaking? Here's the link for the Linux drivers. http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dvbhdhomerun/

brent112 wrote on March 16 2014, 9:51 AM: »

The regular HD Homerun might use MPEG2, but that should still be able to be streamed directly to a client that can support a high bitrate MPEG2 stream. I have been using the HDSurfer app and there is no transcoding when i watch live TV on my Plex Home Theater client. I wonder if this plugin can be configured to receive the MPEG2 stream directly on supported clients.

HDHomeRun PRIME streams MPEG2 as well, the difference is it can stream using http. Plex is transcoding it to non-PHT/PMC clients. It doesn't transcode to PHT/PMC.

Older HDHomeRun streams through udp/rtp broadcast. Plex can't read this broadcast, VLC is needed to read this and stream it to http. HDHomeRun config drivers are needed to tune and stream the channels.

Although the plugin can be rewritten to support older clients, it heavily relies on VLC and HDHomeRun config, which is what HDSurfer is already doing.
    lolento wrote on March 17 2014, 5:38 AM: »

Thanks for this!

This is working quite well for me over local network and also on chromecast.

However, over cellular network, at low bitrates like 1M, 720kbits and 320kbit, the stream stutters every one or two seconds very consistently. On the same bitrates, I don't see stuttering on media files.

This may have to do with buffer available for live stream?? (I'm guessing)

Is this something that I can tweak on the PMS setting myself or do I need to ask a dev to look at it?

Could be buffering issue or transcoder. I would pause it for a few seconds before playing again to see if that helps.

• lolentololento Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

I have notice that the stream for media files over cellular network take longer to start than the live TV streams which says to me it is a buffering issue also.

However, I tried pausing the TV stream for a minute and resume, the stuttering is still there.  Anyone else seeing this?

zynine wrote on March 17 2014, 3:51 PM: »

I have never tested it on a NAS, if you are streaming to PHT/PMC locally, it might work, but if you are streaming to other clients, it might not work because transcoding is needed.

Okay. I will give it a try and report back. 

• abcdamanabcdaman Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited March 2014

This works well with the HDHR4-2US.  The only issue I had was that my NAS (freenas with a core 2) wasn't powerful enough to transcode the stream.  I had to use my other desktop (windows 7 - i7) in order to avoid the stuttering. It streams to chromecast, roku, and my android devices.  Since I don't keep the windows PC on all the time I created a basic WOL plugin on the freenas box that wakes up the windows pc when I want to watch live tv.  (Maybe it's time to upgrade the NAS box.)

abcdaman wrote on March 18 2014, 4:02 PM: »

This works well with the HDHR4-2US.  The only issue I had was that my NAS (freenas with a core 2) wasn't powerful enough to transcode the stream.  I had to use my other desktop (windows 7 - i7) in order to avoid the stuttering. It streams to chromecast, roku, and my android devices.  Since I don't keep the windows PC on all the time I created a basic WOL plugin on the freenas box that wakes up the windows pc when I want to watch live tv.  (Maybe it's time to upgrade the NAS box.)

I have a nas box with dual core and it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I don't understand why since it's resources are not maxed out. 58% cpu 46% ram when i try to stream. 

What are your resources looking when you try to stream?

• abcdamanabcdaman Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

It pretty much pegs the NAS to 0% idle time. 

lolento wrote on March 17 2014, 6:29 PM: »

I have notice that the stream for media files over cellular network take longer to start than the live TV streams which says to me it is a buffering issue also.

However, I tried pausing the TV stream for a minute and resume, the stuttering is still there.  Anyone else seeing this?

1Mbps still works fine, but anything lower than that doesn't work well. Audio works but video was having issues. Seems like a transcoder limitation.

abcdaman wrote on March 18 2014, 4:02 PM: »

Good to know that. Did you mean it is having trouble transcoding even a single stream to a single device? What's your CPU usage at when you are using your i7 PC instead?

Breezytm wrote on March 18 2014, 4:19 PM: »

I have a nas box with dual core and it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I don't understand why since it's resources are not maxed out. 58% cpu 46% ram when i try to stream. 

What are your resources looking when you try to stream?

abcdaman wrote on March 18 2014, 5:29 PM: »

It pretty much pegs the NAS to 0% idle time. 

MPEG2 realtime transcoding seems to be very CPU intensive. Even my quad-core i5 PC CPU usage is around 20-30% just for a single stream. That's almost equivalent to maxing out a 3ghz Intel Core2 Duo.

Your NAS probably is equipped a Intel Atom which is very underpowered for realtime MPEG2 transcoding. Streaming to PHT/PMC might work, but transcoding to anything else will have issues.